test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crash while loading after today's Windows 10 October update

I can't start STO anymore after the big Win. 10 October update this morning.
I have Holodeck and Tribble inst. and up to date, played last night without
any problems like always, now both Holo and Tribble crashing while loading screen is
3/4. Tried repair but nothing. I did not yet got the pre patch for Holodeck.

I use Windows 10 64-bit and have a NVIDIA GTX970, both in use for a few years.
Other games like WoW are starting without problems.
7mf4rl12.png

Comments

• rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Happened to me and not on windows so it's not related to windows 10's patch in my case as some said (my windows comp died),
    There was a pre-patch on sto recently though and who knows maybe other patch.

Saw the report of people's crashing so tried to see if could login, but crashed as the bar started to fill (after previous successful logins).
    Rebooted just in case then tried again.
    It asked to verify the files and so I did, and then it successfully logged in albeit a bit slowly. I think it's solved now after verifying the files.

P.S.
    I use steam (which uses wine/proton) to play sto. can't help here as I am a total newbie. But maybe this info still helps some.

Added some info like in the above post still (and editted some)
    Solus 3.9999 4.18.9-92.current #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux (not updated today beside sto and played OK yesterday)
    Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
  • speedystrekspeedystrek Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Like I wrote already, I did not got the pre patch yet.

I uninstalled the game and reinst. it, but it is the same problem. I got the new NVIDEA updated today and still
    the same. So I don't know what to so anymore.
    7mf4rl12.png
  • ekypyrosekypyros Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Try safemode start in Options
    Tried it before and now, but still the same.
    Windows say crypticErrorX64.exe

I deactivated all Clouds and Antivirus, still nothing. I don't get it anymore.
    7mf4rl12.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User

I have to ask: Did Microsoft push the update to you automatically, or did you seek it out yourself by clicking "Check for updates"? Unless you want to be a beta-tester for Microsoft, it's usually not a good idea to install a Windows 10 update (particularly, a "feature update") the day it comes out. New updates are frequently buggy. For more information about this particular update, see the links below.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/04/bugs-and-issues-of-windows-10-version-1809/
    https://www.askwoody.com/2018/win10-version-1809-buglog-including-troubling-tales-of-lost-user-data/
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    Thanks guys, I found the problem thanks to a good colleague of mine.

I really tried everything possible from STO save mode up to deactivating Clouds and Antivirus etc. Nothing
    seams to work. Then I told my colleague about it and he asked me if I use a Alienware software for a Mouse or
    Keyboard. And that was it... I use a Roccat ISKU FX and of course the software for it, to react with special STO and
    Red Alerts etc in color change. He told me that I have to uninstall the program, because by only deactivating is not enough,
    and exactly that is how STO worked again.
    7mf4rl12.png
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'm trying a fresh reinstall, see if that helps
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • aerigaraerigar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      I have Holodeck and Tribble inst. and up to date, played last night without
      any problems like always, now both Holo and Tribble crashing while loading screen is
      3/4. Tried repair but nothing. I did not yet got the pre patch for Holodeck.

I use Windows 10 64-bit and have a NVIDIA GTX970, both in use for a few years.
      Other games like WoW are starting without problems.
      Exact same issue as you (different PC config though). Sadly your fix did not work for me since I use a Razer keyboard. Disabling the Synapse software and stopping all Razer processes did not help me either. Before disabling Synapse the loading bar came to about 3/4 just like yours but after disabling Synapse and all its processes it stops at around 1/10th and then crashes to desktop. I'm not uninstalling the Synapse software just because Cryptic (or whoever is in charge of STO) doesn't have their TRIBBLE in order.
    • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
      edited October 2018
      I am on Windows 10 and I never see a bar unless you mean the one on the launch floater before you hit the "Engage" button. For me it goes to a black screen with the "circle" wait pointer when you hit the button and stays that way for a few minutes before the Cryptic crash ap comes up.

I tried the repair, the safe mode, and all that but nothing works. The crash long says Failed to read "DnsConfig" a few times then ends with " "Uncaught ReferenceError: LauncherAPI is not defined," source: about:blank(1) ".

• kamencankamencan Member Posts: 15 Arc User
      Same problem. Gameluncher start and now that s.... is patching over 1 hour. Btw how can i reinstal STO in win 10 or in luncher?
    • solongchu#9353 solongchu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
      I fixed it by deleting all the new windows updates from 10/08/18 till today and it fixed it then I shut off windows update
    • aerigaraerigar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      edited October 2018
      I've made some progress! I opened the debug.log file (located in the installation folder) and emptied it (deleted everything in it), then saved it. Now the game will launch and the loading bar fills up all the way! Since servers are under maintenance right now I can't test if it'll actually play (I'm at the login screen).

EDIT: The game runs fine now.
      Post edited by aerigar on
    • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
      aerigar wrote: »
      I've made some progress! I opened the debug.log file (located in the installation folder) and emptied it (deleted everything in it), then saved it. Now the game will launch and the loading bar fills up all the way! Since servers are under maintenance right now I can't test if it'll actually play (I'm at the login screen).

EDIT: The game runs fine now.

Nice :)

Unfortunately it did not work on my machine and the game still crashes.