test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help explain Discovery/Crossfield style weapons and why Crossfield weapons cannot be upgraded.

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 393 Arc User
I have a new Discovery character for which I had saved/banked a Crossfield for use when hit Rear Admiral, Lower Level.
I unboxed it and it came with a motley mix of beam and cannon weapons, some sensor linked, some emitter linked, and all were level 10 white/common. None of them have an upgrade option, and they also are not scaling with me as I level. Are they broken?

I also had 2 beam arrays from the Discovery tutorial ship. They are just called "phaser beam array" (same as old style phaser beams) but are the new pew-pew type. One of them I was able to upgrade to lvl 12 and still has upgrade option. The other one, once it hit level 10 the upgrade option vanished.

I would like to have 7 pew-pew type phaser beams on my ship but only have 4 at moment of which 3 are stuck at Mk X due to missing the upgrade option on popup menu (is that a bug)?

In the past when I have obtained a ship with special weapons (Andorian blue phasers, Cardassian spiral disruptors, etc) the dilithium vendor would have a tab where I could get more ship weapons of same type to fill out the ship weapon slots. But when I go to the dilith vendor on my discovery character, there are only 4 tabs: SPecial Items, EV Suits, Hangar Pets, and Reclaim. There are no ship beam weapons on the special item tab or reclaim tab.

Anyone know where I can get more of the DSC pew-pew phasers (regular or *-linked, any kind)? I'm not buying sensor-linked stuff on exchange for 10m a pop.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    On the Exchange. You can find E-L and S-L phasers there. They were in the Discovery lockbox
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    What about the ones that came with Crossfield and with discovery tutorial. the ones that fire laser bolts rather than long beams. Since the ship comes with half beam half cannon, there should be some way to fill it out other than going to lockbox.

And those weapons should also be upgradable but the lvl 10 weapons on mine have no upgrade option.

Also, for the issue of getting more special ship weapons from dilith vendor, I must be going crazy unless this is something that broke with expansion. I just logged onto the character that previously had access to both the blue andorian phasers and cardasian spiral disruptors, but now even that character cannot find them anywhere on vendor. When I open the dilith store from minimap, there is no option there that lists those ship beam weapons. In ages past I seem to recall there used to be separate ship weapon vendor (one selling for EC and one selling for dilith) but I cannot find that vendor anywhere either, on either ESD or fleet starbase.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The ship weapons not being upgrade-able is intentional. I can't recall if they've ever given a reason, but nearly all weapons that come on a ship are not upgrade-able (exceptions being Experimental Weapons, special torpedoes and one or two other special weapons.)

The weapon that suddenly stopped upgrading at Mk X might be bugged, as I don't know why a weapon would stop at Mk X.

As for getting more Discovery-style Phasers: You can roll more Discovery chars and grab extra weapons in 2256 and then pass them over via a shuttle and account bank ( or take them to 2409 and mail them). IIRC, people have said that one of the Discovery missions has a beam array of that type as its repeatable reward, but I can't verify. Also, 'Emitter-Linked' and 'Integrity-Linked' weapons are much cheaper on the Exchange than the highly sought after for DPS 'Sensor-Linked' type.
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    ok, it seems the special ship weapons that you can get more of later should be on the Reclaim tab.

Maybe there are no reclaim tab weapons for Crossfield (thought it still seems broken since on my character that should have access to special weapons I mentioned in prior update, they are no longer listed...maybe broken with new season).

I guess I'll check exchange for emitter/integrity beams.

As for why one of my tutorial phasers beam arrays can be upgraded, and the other cannot, it is possible that the one I was able to upgrade came from a tutorial mission reward rather than the one that came with ship.
    That's likely what happened. Though the reward phasers are just phasers with the Disco look and are not special as E-L, I-L or S-L ones are.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    As for why one of my tutorial phasers beam arrays can be upgraded, and the other cannot, it is possible that the one I was able to upgrade came from a tutorial mission reward rather than the one that came with ship.

Is the rarity green or better? Then yes it was a mission reward.
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I have a similar and somewhat related question re the Walker-class in the Age of Discovery starter pack. It apparently comes with scalable emitter-linked phasers with the Discovery purple pew-pew visual and sound FX. The equipment is also scalable apparently (though none of the above appears upgradable). I accidentally deleted some of the gear while playing around with some stuff I'd crafted from another toon (there's no visual way from the icon or description to differentiate the scaling equipment, apart from the phasers, from basic non-scaling standard issue items so easy to delete by accident), so I deleted and reclaimed the ship and the gear, so far so good. Now I'm noticing the photon torpedoes don't seem to have the Discovery style (I'd been using the uncommon prototype torpedo mission reward previously, which had a purple DSC effect, so perhaps the ones with the Walker never did?). So, to cut to the chase, anyone else out there who has the scalable Walker-class, do your stock torpedoes have the Discovery style FX or the standard TNG ones? Bit annoying to not have the DSC effect.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The only Lockbox ships that have gotten 'Reclaim' tab weapons are the Cardassian Galor and Keldon, mostly because the Galor was the first Lockbox ship and they weren't sure what to include with one, and then the Spiral Wave type weapons were carried forward to the newer Cardassain ships.

Discovery Lockbox ships never got the 'Reclaim' option even when they were new. I'm guessing that they just expect in for a pound, in for a penny, as the Crossfield isn't exactly a cheap ship.

As for you not seeing the Reclaim weapons for those specific C-Store ships, make sure you have one of them commissioned (Dry Dock might work too). Just having them unlocked in the C-Store won't have the weapon show up (and many other unlocks, like Hangar pets,) it needs the ship.
    I have a similar and somewhat related question re the Walker-class in the Age of Discovery starter pack. It apparently comes with scalable emitter-linked phasers with the Discovery purple pew-pew visual and sound FX. The equipment is also scalable apparently (though none of the above appears upgradable). I accidentally deleted some of the gear while playing around with some stuff I'd crafted from another toon (there's no visual way from the icon or description to differentiate the scaling equipment, apart from the phasers, from basic non-scaling standard issue items so easy to delete by accident), so I deleted and reclaimed the ship and the gear, so far so good. Now I'm noticing the photon torpedoes don't seem to have the Discovery style (I'd been using the uncommon prototype torpedo mission reward previously, which had a purple DSC effect, so perhaps the ones with the Walker never did?). So, to cut to the chase, anyone else out there who has the scalable Walker-class, do your stock torpedoes have the Discovery style FX or the standard TNG ones? Bit annoying to not have the DSC effect.

I didn't really notice myself, but as soon as I got that experimental torp mission reward it went on my Walker. It's now upgraded to Mk VI, UR. And I'm keeping it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

I didn't really notice myself, but as soon as I got that experimental torp mission reward it went on my Walker. It's now upgraded to Mk VI, UR. And I'm keeping it.

Thanks. Yep, that's what I did too. Perhaps I never even tried the stock Walker torpedoes before as a result.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Basic gear that comes with a ship can't be upgraded...not just something with the Crossfield.

It's a bummer because some ships come with weapons unobtainable otherwise like the Voth and the Transphasic Chroniton torpedoes or the Herald and Herald Transphasics.
This discussion has been closed.