test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help Remaster DS9 in HD!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
What We Left Behind, the Deep Space Nine documentary, needs your help! Become a Hi-Def Hero and help upgrade more #DeepSpaceNine to HD!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11008713

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Isn’t that misleading? Premiere Screenings are today and finial production of DVD/Bluray along with shipment it due anytime.

I am all for buying the Blu-ray documentary but trying to sell it as “Help Remaster Deep Space Nine!” is well too late. You should have done that ages ago as we have gone past the funding stage which will help remaster DS9. The documentary is finished. Trying to get people to fund screens for an already finished documentary is misleading in my eyes.

Crowdfunding is what you do before a product is finished. Not after its been completed.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Awesome that this IS happening and will be getting done. Posting this to all my social media.
    Shameful that CBS didn't care enough about the brand to finance this.
    FANS will save the day and see this through.
    Thank God.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Isn’t that misleading? Premiere Screenings are today and finial production of DVD/Bluray along with shipment it due anytime.

I am all for buying the Blu-ray documentary but trying to sell it as “Help Remaster Deep Space Nine!” is well too late. You should have done that ages ago as we have gone past the funding stage which will help remaster DS9. The documentary is finished. Trying to get people to fund screens for an already finished documentary is misleading in my eyes.

Crowdfunding is what you do before a product is finished. Not after its been completed.

From reading and rereading the article, the crowdfunding is not for the Documentary or the screenings thereof; it is for the HD remastering of DS9 from the film negatives.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    edited October 2018
    sarvour0 wrote: »

From reading and rereading the article, the crowdfunding is not for the Documentary or the screenings thereof; it is for the HD remastering of DS9 from the film negatives.
    It’s confusing as it’s inviting us to join a crowdfunding campaign but the only crowdfunding campaign link is for just finished campaign for the finished documentary. Becoming a Hi-Def hero is all about rising money for remastering of DS9 clips but as I understand it they have finished that stage and no more Hi-Def clips are being done.

I think this is a case like the Star Trek Loot box where the STO devs have messed up again as they should have posted this ages ago.

Not that's the bluray is a bad thing. I for one will buy it.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    LOL I wish you all go back and re-do DS9 and make it larger inside it is so crowed now
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User

No. Its not for remastering the show itself, they explicitly said, several times that the remastering is for clips related to the documentary and only that. Remastering the show would cost far more than you would ever get from a crowdfunding campaign

and like pottsey said, its very misleading. the documentary is already finished and supposed to be shown soon, this screams cash grab
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User

Its not shameful at all. CBS is a corporation. They are in business to make money for their shareholders. They're not a non-profit that exists to provide you with entertainment.

All of the clips they're remastering for the documentary are non FX clips. DS9, like TNG, was shot on film and then transferred to tape. But after season 2 of DS9, unlike TNG, they moved to digital, rather than practical effects. Meaning, you can't just remaster the scenes of the models against a starfield in HD. The digital effects were state of the art 20 years ago. Now, they look pretty bad, and would look even worse in HD, meaning they'd have to be redone. All this is to say that remastering DS9 in HD well would cost significantly more than TNG did.

TNG in HD, even with the higher streaming fees and Blu-Ray sales, only became profitable a few months after Season 7 was released, which was about 4 years into the project. It still hasn't proved highly profitable. The perception is, and it is likely accurate, that DS9 (and Voyager) have never been as popular as TNG was. So you have shows that would cost more to remaster, that look to generate less revenue, and TNG HD was only a mild success.

That's why they don't spend the money. So if you want DS9 or VOY in HD, you're going to have to do something to demonstrate to CBS that it will be profitable. That means voting with your wallet. Buy this documentary on Blu-Ray. Buy TOS, TNG, ENT, and DSC on Blu-Ray. Show CBS that there's a market for HD Star Trek that will offset the cost.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I can't, they won't ship to Germany.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Help Remaster DS9 in HD!

Blatant lie as the title. They want to HD scenes for their video not 'remaster DS9'. Shame on you Kael.
    I'm all for buying HD DS9 series, not so much for a retrospective on the show.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    This article is both misleading and confusing. You say "remaster DS9 in HD" for like the whole show, but it also says it's just for the documentary. Which is it?

Regardless, this is a waste of time. Unless this documentary mentions how Paramount even got the idea for Deep Space Nine (as in mentioning Babylon 5's creator and his ideas), it's not worth it to me.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Awesome that this IS happening and will be getting done. Posting this to all my social media.
    FANS will save the day and see this through.
    Thank God.

Point of order, CBS is basing a business decision on previous performance. "Fans" didn't make the already-completed TNG and TOS remasters profitable enough, therefore "fans" certainly aren't going to make the less widely popular DS9 and VOY profitable enough.

(Why didn't I mention ENT? It was filmed and broadcast in HD to begin with.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Point of order, CBS is basing a business decision on previous performance. "Fans" didn't make the already-completed TNG and TOS remasters profitable enough, therefore "fans" certainly aren't going to make the less widely popular DS9 and VOY profitable enough.

(Why didn't I mention ENT? It was filmed and broadcast in HD to begin with.)

I got the HD TNGs... eventually when the price became 'reasonable'; like many who had the DVDs the price point was a bit extreme for making people want to re-buy another disc of the same show they already had.

Now if CBS wanted to make some sort of Kickstarter/pledge page for HD DS9 and it was essentially just a way to pre-order the series; I'd be all for that. At the very least, it would actually gauge the interest if people are putting their money where their mouths are. Assuming they don't get stupid with expecting excessive prices/profits from re-releasing an old show.

And with streaming services now, they could remaster it and not have the financial outlay in the creation of a physical product.
  • muppetdrummermuppetdrummer Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    starmanj wrote: »
    LOL I wish you all go back and re-do DS9 and make it larger inside it is so crowed now

Agreed. Maybe take out some of the stairs to the 2nd deck that are in the middle of walkway.
    Boldly going where I have never been before.
  • muppetdrummermuppetdrummer Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Just curious, what system requirements will be recommended for the HD experience?
    Boldly going where I have never been before.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    Remastering the show would cost far more than you would ever get from a crowdfunding campaign.

The figure I saw them touting the beginning of last year was approximately $20 million a season, so $140 million total. Far, far beyond what they could feasibly raise.
  • masterproteusmasterproteus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    If you like DS9 so much then why did you cancel the DS9 expansion and not even give the Gamma quadrant any Duty Roster missions or Taskforce rewards that made any sense?
  • gifford97gifford97 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    It'd be great if they could focus on re-releasing DS9 non-interlaced and at 576 lines. Surely that wouldn't be so hard since none of the visuals would have to be redone, and it'd still look much better than the current 480i NTSC video on DVDs and Netflix.
  • spiderx22spiderx22 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    The important question here is why does that dude have 1 fingernail polished in black?
  • canadianmetalfancanadianmetalfan Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    While this post is now old, witht he premier already having happened. It should be taken down or the link deactivated.

I am looking forward to my bluray of the doc as I backed the original indiegogo campaign for this documentary. Hopefully they will be shipped out soon and not a year from now. Out of the two crowdfunded projects I am still waiting for, I have a feeling this will STILL get done before Axanar...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ODYSSEY SCIENCE CRUISER - U.S.S. MAIDEN TORONTO NX-971312-B
    VESTA MULTI-MISSION SURVEILLANCE EXPLORER - U.S.S. HOPE IN HELL NX-902013-A
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    This franchise is a mess, there is absolutely no reason why CBS shouldn't already be doing this, none!

I really think that Star Trek needs to find a company that will take care of it and future proof all the series and movies since CBS/Paramount clearly have no intention of doing anything to help. If DS9 and Voyager were under the Disney umbrella this would already be done with no issue and no matter the expense. Sell Star Trek to a company (NBC, Sony, Disney, BBC, or us fans) that know how to properly care for it.

"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
    This franchise is a mess, there is absolutely no reason why CBS shouldn't already be doing this, none!

I really think that Star Trek needs to find a company that will take care of it and future proof all the series and movies since CBS/Paramount clearly have no intention of doing anything to help. If DS9 and Voyager were under the Disney umbrella this would already be done with no issue and no matter the expense. Sell Star Trek to a company (NBC, Sony, Disney, BBC, or us fans) that know how to properly care for it.

The reason is the estimated 20million+ cost to convert the content just for DS9 and an even bigger cost to convert Voyager.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    The problem is that the film print contains no CGI. That would have to be recreated from scratch, thus the massive price. With the advent of streaming, there's not a huge amount of potential return for the investment. If I remember rightly, TNG's remaster launched as Blu-Ray was taking off and that still lost CBS a big chunk of change.
  • antonius87antonius87 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Well, having attended the premiere of the DS9 documentary and seeing the few scenes they had already converted to HD, it looked GREAT. They said they are still working on converting the remaining scenes, as the premiere had the SD stuff still in it except for 1 sequence. The blu ray release will have the final versions when the conversion is finished, so they may still be trying to raise money for the remaining scenes. Regardless, it was a great project and a great movie (and a great time!).
  • lowteklowtek Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Leave DS9 alone just give me the Nog guide so I don't get lost.