test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Colors and colorblind people

tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
Hey all. It's been a while sense I've really played. I log in during the summer event and winter events and last during the crystalline entity event a few times, but it's been a while sense I've really played. Decided to give it a go and with the new Age of Discovery and figured what better way then to make a new character. As my title suggests, I'm red/green color blind and while thanks to the wiki with their guides for getting canon uniform colors right I still have trouble when it comes to colors in non-canon uniforms. I tried to make a nice female character and wanted to give her red hair, only I don't know which one is red. Does anyone know of a guide that tells which colors are in the grid for the various stages of character maker?

Also an aside not to do with the thread. I only saw an option for a Fed discovery character. Can we not play those things that Discovery says are Klingons?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Hello :)

The game has different color sheets for different items by now. As for hair it is this one still I think:

dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fmassively.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2010%2F01%2Fmv-sto-char-580-00028.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=425a2da253c960eeeaab2cc81f565af355e5a7ef

The red tones are in the second and third to last line, left side. The Vulcan for example has red hair selected.

Unfortunately I don’t know where to find complete labels for STO’s color sheets but you could make screenshots of some and peeps around here could help you out.

Aside from a lock box ship there are no Discovery elements for KDF side yet.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

The game has different color sheets for different items by now. As for hair it is this one still I think:

dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blogcdn.com%2Fmassively.joystiq.com%2Fmedia%2F2010%2F01%2Fmv-sto-char-580-00028.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=425a2da253c960eeeaab2cc81f565af355e5a7ef

The red tones are in the second and third to last line, left side. The Vulcan for example has red hair selected.

Unfortunately I don’t know where to find complete labels for STO’s color sheets but you could make screenshots of some and peeps around here could help you out.

That was a very nice thing of you to do, helping him/her out like that. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Sure thing and thanks Meimei. :)

Was just thinking about my red haired Trill sci having to run through game with green hair.
    animated.gif
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Personally, I tend to use the top 2-3 rows, and from the left towards the middle columns for my natural colored redhead/auburn hair. Row 3 is more orange, though. I don't go in for that, "I dyed my hair fire engine red or fushia" look. :smile:

Brunettes, I use the same rows, but I use the columns from the right towards the middle.

Blondes are pretty much rows 4 and 5, with the left side being more true blond and the right side being more Sandy/straw colored.

Row 6, I use for black hair and various shades of grey as I move towards the center.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User

Was just thinking about my red haired Trill sci having to run through game with green hair.

your red haired trill will look like 95% of the other trills out there. green would be a nice change of pace.
    and no, I'm NOT changing my toon's hair color I AM A REDHEAD
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User

your red haired trill will look like 95% of the other trills out there. green would be a nice change of pace.
    and no, I'm NOT changing my toon's hair color I AM A REDHEAD

Thanks all for the help! Going to roll the character up later tonight. As an aside, my trill is a blonde, so there is at least 1 non-redhead trill out there!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Wanting a toon with red hair but not knowing what red looks like.
    On the one hand, it makes no difference to your sight if the hair was red or green; but on the other hand you want others to see the red hair. Personal perceptions and what they mean to our brains is so fascinating. Like those 'its it blue or black dress?' and 'Yanny/Laurel audio illusion' things that the internet go nuts for every now and again. Our brains are weird. ;)
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Personally, I'd call that more a pink.

Personally, I don't care. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018

your red haired trill will look like 95% of the other trills out there.

Well good! :)
    animated.gif
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018

I wouldn't say personally here. It's objectively pink to pinkish red. The OP asked for red.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited October 2018

I wouldn't say personally here. It's objectively pink to pinkish red. The OP asked for red.

If my immediate help for the OP was not comprehensive enough to cover all the options the color sheet hands out I sincerely apologize. I just looked the www up for him and gave a tone with a picture reference I’d prefer on using and which looks good as red tone by my personal taste.

Come to think of it why didn’t you help him out in the first place? You hang around here daily. Was it too hard for you or do you just prefer to throw in your 2 cents days later?

Oh well, who am I fooling. STO forums are really a fun place to be and you certainly have your share in that. Thank you.
    animated.gif

If my immediate help for the OP was not comprehensive enough to cover all the options the color sheet hands out I sincerely apologize. I just looked the www up for him and gave a tone with a picture reference I’d prefer on using and which looks good as red tone by my personal taste.

Come to think of it why didn’t you help him out in the first place? You hang around here daily. Was it too hard for you or do you just prefer to throw in your 2 cents days later?

Oh well, who am I fooling. STO forums are really a fun place to be and you certainly have your share in that. Thank you.

What a strange world we live in: don't help a person, get blasted; *do* help a person, someone's gonna find fault with you, regardless. :)

As for red, well, pardon the pun, that's a red herring, as there's no true red hair color in STO to begin with. The bar above the one you selected are clearly the pinkish hues: the one you chose from are are red as STO will let you have. So, anyone care to show me a true red in that palette?! ... I thought so.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

What a strange world we live in: don't help a person, get blasted; *do* help a person, someone's gonna find fault with you, regardless. :)

As for red, well, pardon the pun, that's a red herring, as there's no true red hair color in STO to begin with. The bar above the one you selected are clearly the pinkish hues: the one you chose from are are red as STO will let you have. So, anyone care to show me a true red in that palette?! ... I thought so.

Oh good to have you around here as always. :)

I kind of wonder with the red parts as I keep on looking for a more garnet red tone to get right for my Trill sci. Now other mention how close the one I probably selected will run into the pink here. If you get around and if it’s not too much to ask I’d appreciate any suggestions as to what to pick here.

Something like that would be great:

percke-rot-granatrot-lang-glatt-scheitel-mittelscheitel-streng-60-cm-sa-151-39.jpg
    animated.gif
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

I'm just surprised no one has brought DPS into this discussion yet. "Filthy 17x elitist epeen DPSer, how dare you help another player!"

And yeah, just like @meimeitoo said, there is no "pure" red haircolor available in STO, so there's no point in whining how the hair looks more pink-ish than red. But complaining is always easier than actually making a meaningful contribution...

As for my own (possibly faulty) color perception, I found either T4 or A7 to be best representations of red hair.
    edited October 2018

I'm just surprised no one has brought DPS into this discussion yet. "Filthy 17x elitist epeen DPSer, how dare you help another player!"

Lol yea, especialy with space barbie. That just won't work!!! :D

Edit: And facinating read on your phaser article back over on reddit. Juts a bit to get used to coming from a blonde. :p
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Flaming/trolling removed.

ConcreteVagueCobra-size_restricted.gif

Knock it off. -- StarSword-C

Edit: And facinating read on your phaser article back over on reddit. Juts a bit to get used to coming from a blonde. :p

So good I actually posted on Reddit.. don't get used to it though, this was a special occasion. :wink:
    Post edited by starswordc on
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2018
    Moderated statements redacted. -- StarSword-C

So good I actually posted on Reddit.. don't get used to it though, this was a special occasion. :wink:

Oh, I will have a look. :smile:

Was thinking about transferring Connor over to Dis as well but after tunes sum up will stick to phasers on him and make a few adjustments there. Quite cool tune got his calculations published b4 the upgrade weekend.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    animated.gif

I kind of wonder with the red parts as I keep on looking for a more garnet red tone to get right for my Trill sci. Now other mention how close the one I probably selected will run into the pink here. If you get around and if it’s not too much to ask I’d appreciate any suggestions as to what to pick here.

percke-rot-granatrot-lang-glatt-scheitel-mittelscheitel-streng-60-cm-sa-151-39.jpg

Maybe I'm colorblind myself, LOL, but that garnet red looks exactly like the one you chose on your Vulcan. :) I don't think it's possible to get it any closer.

Would be ever-so nice, though, if they'd let us input RGB values. Then we could make any color we want.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Maybe I'm colorblind myself, LOL, but that garnet red looks exactly like the one you chose on your Vulcan. :) I don't think it's possible to get it any closer.

Would be ever-so nice, though, if they'd let us input RGB values. Then we could make any color we want.

I think so as well and thank you for confirmation on the color. :)
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

That would be a great feature to add!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    That's a nice red you picked out.
    I have to call up the STO program to look at the red I have on my Romulan.
    And a couple of my boffs.

My hairdresser calls it "copper". Not pink.
    This color is still firmly in the red territory as far as real life hair color goes. I prefer to go closer to copper in reds for my own hair....(though "we" are still experimenting with different reds).

Green IS gaining popularity for colors in hair, right now. Mostly as a bold highlight. As is rainbow and unicorn...both of which utilize multiple colors on one head of hair.

Also, red hair looks nicer with a smidgen of shine. There is a slider (and hair product) for that.

+++++++++

Wouldn't the RGB picker be another app that has to load? Not sure load another "app" in the program just for tailor would happen. Though, if they add more colors to the palette...it may defeat the purpose of avoiding it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Problem with getting good hair color on STO: most of the hairstyles are one solid shade.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited October 2018

Obviously, I don't read every single thread. And especially not every single day. Who does that? Since you brought it up, I will help the OP with a red that looks much more like red to me. I'll use your picture as a reference first. In your picture, the uniform actually is red color which gives us a good reference point. It allows us to see how different the hair actually looks.

25CjoOE.jpg

Now below is my personal recommendation for someone asking for "red." Note: This red is the type of red that you may expect from artificially colored red hair. If the OP wants natural "red" color hair (which isn't necessarily red even though we call it such) then I can post that color too.

aVXrOy0.png
    Objectively.. you're an ****.

Guy goes out of his way to help and you just **** all over it. Make an alternate suggestion, help the OP or shut the **** up. I know being a **** is kinda 'your thing' and I understand it probably makes you the coolest 17 year old in the entire 8th grade but no one here is impressed.
    I'm not sure of what your beef or issue is but I have no beef with you or anyone else really. Have a nice day.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited October 2018
    Awww....I was looking in the tailor at the nice red colors I use on my Romulan and a Klingon BOFF. But I did not take any screen shots like everyone else...so I guess I will post it later on.

BTW...the alpha numeric numbers for the colors: Romulan uses A8. Klingon BOFF uses B4.

You know, I tend to make characters with darker tone of skin plus being KDF. I am sure the lighting I see these colors in are totally different. So, not sure how it would look on Federation side.

where2r1 wrote: »
    You know, I tend to make characters with darker tone of skin plus being KDF. I am sure the lighting I see these colors in are totally different. So, not sure how it would look on Federation side.
    You bring up a good point. My screen shot was taken on ESD which is ridiculously bright. Different tailors will yield different brightness levels.
    edited October 2018

Obviously, I don't read every single thread. And especially not every single day. Who does that? Since you brought it up, I will help the OP with a red that looks much more like red to me. I'll use your picture as a reference first. In your picture, the uniform actually is red color which gives us a good reference point. It allows us to see how different the hair actually looks.

25CjoOE.jpg

Now below is my personal recommendation for someone asking for "red." Note: This red is the type of red that you may expect from artificially colored red hair. If the OP wants natural "red" color hair (which isn't necessarily red even though we call it such) then I can post that color too.

aVXrOy0.png
    Objectively.. you're an ****.

Guy goes out of his way to help and you just **** all over it. Make an alternate suggestion, help the OP or shut the **** up. I know being a **** is kinda 'your thing' and I understand it probably makes you the coolest 17 year old in the entire 8th grade but no one here is impressed.
    I'm not sure of what your beef or issue is but I have no beef with you or anyone else really. Have a nice day.

I’m happy to see that your personal recommendation of a red hair color corresponds so well with the initial help I gave to the OP:
    The red tones are in the second and third to last line, left side.

No idea if the OP still appreciates it this late into the discussion though or if he has found his personal preferred tone by now but again, thank you.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018
    You bring up a good point. My screen shot was taken on ESD which is ridiculously bright. Different tailors will yield different brightness levels.

Yeah, that brightness really washes out the red.

Where in the KDF tailor....even the lighter shades of brown will turn reddish. I have a light brown on a Orion BOFF...but it looks red against her skin, a very dark green. And with one of my character's Ch'gren BOFF...lighter browns come out looking reddish or strawberry blond.

This discussion has been closed.