test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Other Faction Story lines

scortch0scortch0 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Being a star trek fan, as much as i love the federation, this game has more factions than just the federation. More ofetn than not we get Fed only Expansions that completely cut out a good portion of your player base. Klingon has its on dictionary and there is a huge amount of lore and things to make a Klingon Expansion, yet we never see one. Discovery is going deeper into Klingon history and culture than ever before. yet here we have yet another fed on expansion. thats just bad business......period.

to only favor one faction and to even stop making ships for all the factions you have released is BAD BUSINESS, you alienate your customer base and then to only have a tutorial for the expansion is kinda lame as well. So what you gave us a Scaling Fed only ship, what about the rest of your customer base that does not play federation?

Something to think about before you start losing players, cause everyone i have spoken to made a discovery toon found out there was no benefit and deleted that toon, and went back to playing the toons that have grown to love for the factions they love.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Never going to happen, all they care about is Feds...any faction that isn't Fed gets little to no attention...been that way since it all started.
  • scortch0scortch0 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    what you say is very true, but the only way to change things is if enough of the customer base speaks up
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    scortch0 wrote: »
    what you say is very true, but the only way to change things is if enough of the customer base speaks up

Unfortunately this is an issue of return on investment, and the simple truth is Fed content is always going to get a much larger return on investment than any other faction content, simply because that is what the vast majority (over 70% using their own infographic numbers) play.

If Cryptic has to choose between these 2 options...

A - make non-Fed's sad by focusing on Fed content

B - make Fed's sad by spending time on non-Fed content

...they are always going to choose option A. I definitely wish they could find a way to flesh out each faction, but unfortunately it just isn't going to happen.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Honestly, this biggest problem regarding them trying to focus in on other factions at this point is that they have been focused in on cross-faction content for so long, that it doesn't really pay for them to go back and do new arcs now. Especially since the content lately has been including everyone as a whole. Look at VIL's opening, where you had the Klingons, Romulans, Dominion and Federation all taking stances on the problem with the Hur'q. Three of those four factions are in a large alliance since the end of the Iconian war.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    because at launch of game they screwed us. back in the day you had to have a lvl 25 fed toon to even make a klingon............again bad business model
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    We don't have factions, we have origin stories. And that's good.
    warpangel wrote: »

Well, we definitely have a Federation faction. So we have 1 faction and many fRactions :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    warpangel wrote: »

typical Federation lover answer
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    From the get-go, Star Trek as a show has been about characters from the Federation. Complaining about the lack of stories for the Klingons and Romulans is a bit like complaining that there weren't enough North Korean-focused episodes of M*A*S*H.

In this game, the Federation is the cake and everything else is the frosting. Out of 79 episodes, the Klingons occur in five. (I don't count "The Savage Curtain" because that Kahless was a recreation, not an actual Klingon--and the actual Kahless had been dead for a long time by the TOS era.) The Romulans occur in two episodes. On that basis, I think you've been very well served in STO. I'll even go out on a limb and say that in all the other series, the Klingon- and Romulan-heavy episodes are outweighed by the remainder.

Look, dessert can be cake with frosting, or cake without frosting--but how many times have you been served dessert that was nothing but a plate of frosting?
    boldly-watched.png
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    From the get-go, Star Trek as a show has been about characters from the Federation. Complaining about the lack of stories for the Klingons and Romulans is a bit like complaining that there weren't enough North Korean-focused episodes of M*A*S*H.

In this game, the Federation is the cake and everything else is the frosting. Out of 79 episodes, the Klingons occur in five. (I don't count "The Savage Curtain" because that Kahless was a recreation, not an actual Klingon--and the actual Kahless had been dead for a long time by the TOS era.) The Romulans occur in two episodes. On that basis, I think you've been very well served in STO. I'll even go out on a limb and say that in all the other series, the Klingon- and Romulan-heavy episodes are outweighed by the remainder.

Look, dessert can be cake with frosting, or cake without frosting--but how many times have you been served dessert that was nothing but a plate of frosting?
    typical fed lover answer, how can none of you who watch the series and play the game say what you say........Nemesis was about romulans, the whole reunification line with spock.

You dont have an original idea in your statement, they can make up whole new series and garbage for the federation and you eat it up. spore drive........plz be real, infighting in starfleet.....again plz get real.

So why is it so hard for you to get behind the idea of something new or is that to alien for you federation lovers
    history is more than just one side of a story. why even let people play those factions if they are just gonna be screwed over?
    In all fairness, I fully understand why the UFP is really the only fully complete faction...
    I really don't understand how anyone can say this

Romulans have more faction unique missions then any other faction, and Klingons have just as many as the 2409 FEDs, and besides the last ship pack, both the KDF and ROMs have gotten every single type of special ship be it intel, pilot, command flagship, multi-mission, etc. etc. that the Feds have gotten.

Not only that, but the KDF and Roms got their own mission givers during Delta Rising, the Roms led the Dyson Sphere/Undine coalitions, and basically hosted every major political get together since then, and the KDF led both the Iconian War, and the Tzenkethi conflict, and saved the day during the Hur'q crisis.

Like, what exactly are they missing to make them "complete"? They game wanks both of them off more then it does the Feds.

I get what you are saying, but IMHO all of the "multi-faction" content is more Fed-flavored than anything else. So while the KDF and Roms might have their own faction specific arcs to start with, once you hit the multi-faction content you are basically playing as a Fed from them on.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    In all fairness, I fully understand why the UFP is really the only fully complete faction...

Romulans have more faction unique missions then any other faction, and Klingons have just as many as the 2409 FEDs, and besides the last ship pack, both the KDF and ROMs have gotten every single type of special ship be it intel, pilot, command flagship, multi-mission, etc. etc. that the Feds have gotten.

Not only that, but the KDF and Roms got their own mission givers during Delta Rising, the Roms led the Dyson Sphere/Undine coalitions, and basically hosted every major political get together since then, and the KDF led both the Iconian War, and the Tzenkethi conflict, and saved the day during the Hur'q crisis.

Like, what exactly are they missing to make them "complete"? They game wanks both of them off more then it does the Feds.

I get what you are saying, but IMHO all of the "multi-faction" content is more Fed-flavored than anything else. So while the KDF and Roms might have their own faction specific arcs to start with, once you hit the multi-faction content you are basically playing as a Fed from them on.

This. Said another way it's a question of roleplay potential: They don't write "multi-faction content"; with few exceptions they write Federation content and then replace a few of the names for KDF and Romulan characters.

Examples:
    • Why does my Romulan have no option to approve wholeheartedly of Rai Sahen's Genghis Gambit in "Operation Cooperation Conspiracy", rather than weakly protesting as they do? (After all, much to Cryptic's credit the Romulan tutorial leaves your background remarkably open-ended: your character could be ex-Tal'Shiar him/herself and not have a problem with playing fast and loose.)
    • Why does my Romulan or my Klingon not point out to Mister Supposedly-a-Special-Operator in "House Pratfall" that their ship already has a cloaking device and they don't need his area-effect cloak? Ditto "Quark's Lucky Seven" (my one quibble with that mission).
    • For that matter, why does taking any plot-related action at all, even talking to other people on the same ship, decloak you?
    • How about RP options for non-Klingon KDF characters: why does my Nausicaan or Lethean mercenary, or for that matter my Romulan or Fed, not have the option to call Emperor Leeroy Jenkins on his stupidity in "House Pratfall"? They don't care about quv, they're here to do a job. (And seriously? Attacking something that can vaporize you with a wave of its hands with a frakking sword?)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »

This. Said another way it's a question of roleplay potential: They don't write "multi-faction content"; with few exceptions they write Federation content and then replace a few of the names for KDF and Romulan characters.

Examples:
    • Why does my Romulan have no option to approve wholeheartedly of Rai Sahen's Genghis Gambit in "Operation Cooperation Conspiracy", rather than weakly protesting as they do? (After all, much to Cryptic's credit the Romulan tutorial leaves your background remarkably open-ended: your character could be ex-Tal'Shiar him/herself and not have a problem with playing fast and loose.)
    • Why does my Romulan or my Klingon not point out to Mister Supposedly-a-Special-Operator in "House Pratfall" that their ship already has a cloaking device and they don't need his area-effect cloak? Ditto "Quark's Lucky Seven" (my one quibble with that mission).
    • For that matter, why does taking any plot-related action at all, even talking to other people on the same ship, decloak you?
    • How about RP options for non-Klingon KDF characters: why does my Nausicaan or Lethean mercenary, or for that matter my Romulan or Fed, not have the option to call Emperor Leeroy Jenkins on his stupidity in "House Pratfall"? They don't care about quv, they're here to do a job. (And seriously? Attacking something that can vaporize you with a wave of its hands with a frakking sword?)

I'll be honest; sometimes I don't even bother reading a lot of the dialog, so a lot of the nuanced type responses you listed above don't even register as problems for me when I'm playing.

The "problem" for me is not the dialog, but the actual activities of the missions themselves. Take the Defari arc for example. You are sent as a diplomat/ambassador. That works fine for my Fed, but it doesn't feel right for my Klingon regardless of whatever flavored text they put in.

Basically, I just don't feel like I'm actually playing for the Empire anymore once you hit the multi-faction content. I feel like I'm just part of "one big happy fleet" Khan mentioned.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    history is more than just one side of a story. why even let people play those factions if they are just gonna be screwed over?

You're not getting "screwed over" by only being able to play some faction-specific missions before you join the shared content. You're just not getting as much faction-specific content as you'd like to see.

Even for federation, many of us would love to have another 20+ TOS-era missions to play.

Unfortunately, Cryptic is a business. 70+% of players want to play as a 2409 fed captain first, with other content as an afterthought. The 70+% keep the lights on.

WoW can afford to have more balanced factions because they charge money for expansions on top of charging a monthly subscription fee, and they have a lot more players than STO.

So: donate $10 million to Cryptic, or convince 1+ million new players to sign up and play as KDF or Domion or Romulan instead of as Fed. Make the business case for spending money on non-Federation-first shared content and pure non-Federation content. Until then, "letting your voice be heard" won't really change that it's one voice in a Federation sea of voices.

(Note: I like the non-Fed faction content. I have 4 Romulan captains, 3 KDF, 1 Jem'Hadar, 2 TOS. I just accept that Cryptic can't afford to make much of it.)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It doesn't matter how many dialogue options there are, someone would always want more. That isn't really an origin issue, either. Feddies complain there is no option to talk to every enemy before every fight just as much as klingons complain there is no option to punch the stupid NPCs in the face when they're being stupid. It's impossible to have every option.

Regardless of origin, the story is written in a way that you do most of the fighting and others do most of the talking. As is rather common to videogames. Because if you give the player a lot of options in the dialogue, the next thing they'll demand is for those options to actually change the plot.
    I've never really felt that way except during the Kobali stuff, which was being handled by the Federation.
    I never felt the kobali arc appropriate even for the Federation. For all that Captain Stick-up-his-butt quotes the Prime Directive to justify continuing the campaign in spite of the kobali deception, the whole thing is in fact a huge violation of it.

That plot gave me a Tal'Shiar-ish vibe more than any of the playable origins.
    typical Federation lover answer
    I like all the factions, and I still think its a good thing. STO has already covered most of the major lore bits of both the Romulans and Klingons in each factions respective unique content, and in the cross faction content. There really isn't enough lore for either to try to give them totally separate faction stroylines.

Doesn't mean they can't have their own story bits here and there...but as typical corners are cut and anything that isn't Fed is neglected.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    how long have I and others been asking for something uniquely KDF? I advocate a Gorn Civil War, but it could easily be something involving the Ferasans, or the Orions, which could be interesting, concidering probably 60% of KDF toons are female Orions...
    a whole unique KDF season, with 2-3 episodes where a fed char has to do something, maybe running medical supplie to somewhere.. but mostly KDF only stull. then another season for the Remans. what HAVE they been doing since Obisek went back to the vault? maybe they remans under Obisek finish off the Emire, or at least stops the RSE from destroying the Vault and New Romulus.
    Spock.jpg

lianthelia wrote: »
    Doesn't mean they can't have their own story bits here and there...but as typical corners are cut and anything that isn't Fed is neglected.
    They do have their own story bits though, the whole Rodek/Kurn, Martok, and Torg stuff in the Tzenkethi conflict, and the Hur'q and Fek'Ihri stuff in the Gamma Quadrant arc, are things Klingon characters will appreciate more then the others.

Just like how Hakeev's death in "Cutting the Cord" is different for Romulan characters, where the player gets to kill Hakeev instead of Obisek, due to the Rom player's personal grudge with Hakeev.

Hell, the whole Discovery arc is
    >DUDE LOOK HOW COOL AND BADASS J'ULA IS!

Everything that they have that is unique is years old by now, sure maybe they retooled some things here or there but overall KDF and RR haven't gotten and new stand alone content since LoR.

Sure some of that stuff you mentioned involves Klingons...but it's seen from the viewpoint of Feds basically...because the game basically treats you as a Fed except for things which are programmed in like calling you General or First instead of Admiral.

I played through the entire ViL chain as a Jem Hadar and it was still treating me like I was a Fed.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    typical fed lover answer

While probably true (many here are Fed lovers. And also KDF and Rom lovers), this wasn't even a relevant point the first time you used it in this thread.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The last time there were Faction specific missions for the KDF / Roms was with the release of LOR. That is YEARS and YEARS ago. Cryptic went with the "Everyone play Fed Flavored Missions" because it was probably a lot of work coming up with KDF / Rom missions as they were pumping out Fed ones.

I'd love to see more Faction specific missions. The Federation-Klingon War could have really been much more. But this isn't happening anymore, it hasn't for years. Everything is now Fed Flavored Generic.
    XzRTofz.gif
This discussion has been closed.