test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New season spells the end of non Discovery content?

2»

Comments

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    A. Cryptic already said there would be more 2410 stories

B. Even if they didn't, why would you think that?
    -After Legacy of Romulus did they only do Romulan stories?
    -After Delta Rising did they only do Voyager stories?
    -After Agents of Yesterday did they only do Original Series stories?
    -After Victory is Life did they only do DS9 stories?
    The answer to all of those is no, so why would after Age of Discovery they only do Discovery stories?

after LoR and DR they dod not remove half of the content and make the other half non repeatable. so much for hunting accolades, which is all I have to do, since i won't be herded into the random verbal abuse sessions they want you to do to get marks.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • camclcamcl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Its also possible that they rushed out a bit of the Discovery content, to be able to tie-in new Disco content with Season 2 when it launches
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    And, as anybody that has played ANY MMO knows, bugs happen after each patch.

Keep in mind, the "more than half" of the content "removed" was simply taken out of the set progression arcs, and is available by just looking at the other tabs on the mission journal. Some are not available until you have passed specific points, all of which can be skipped. I skipped almost all content on my AoD captain just to be able to do a specific mission to get a four piece ship set.

There are some arcs that are no longer repeatable, but until Cryptic comes out and says otherwise, I am considering that to be a bug. People are really overreacting to this content push.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I'd be okay with it, actually. Take a break from ANOTHER ancient threat/galactic war.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Like crime dramas that say 'ripped from the headlines!'
    I just hear 'we can't think of stuff ourselves!' :D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    According to this interview, Alex Kurtzman wants to make a consistent Trekverse across TV, comics, and STO, which may be why the recent blog posting said that we might see some of the historical databases change due to temporal interference. (Also, it seems it was one of the DSC people who suggested using J'Ula, who comes from the Disco comic.)

You mean he is trying to make everything follow *His* canon because it is ran by him and execs at CBS who don't care about Star Trek or its canon.

Lets face it Les Moonves hates Sci Fi and Star Trek...hardly knows the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars. He is the one who got this whole TRIBBLE thing going, likely because Star Trek was going to slip into public domain. Explains why all the sudden they felt the need to target anything Star Trek based, even if it was non-profit.

Out of Kurtzman and Orci, Orci was the one who was actually a Star Trek fan. So Kurtzman doesn't really care about the franchise beyond it being a pay check.

They had someone who actually cared about canon, Bryan Fuller was fired because he was more loyal to canon, he didn't want to make all the changes Moonves wanted him to, so they canned him.

So what do we have? A bunch of people who don't care about Star Trek or its canon running the show.

Last I've heard the Picard series isn't even going to stick to Prime canon, but something influenced by TRIBBLE.

lianthelia wrote: »
    Bryan Fuller was fired because he was more loyal to canon,
    Ironic anyone could say this when it was Brian Fuller who demanded all the changes to the Klingons in Discovery, and told everyone who wanted to make them closer to canon **** off.

And him being fired is the only reason why the Klingons in the Discovery season 2 trailer look closer to actual Klingons.

Yeah...I'm sure that has nothing at all to do with Discovery not being as good as they claim so they're in a rush to throw about every piece of nostalgia they can into season 2 except for the kitchen sink...and Kirk himself.

Because they aren't trying to hook Trek fans who don't like it at all?
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    To rebuke the "Tinfoil hat comment" no nothing of the sort and that style of remark has come to be the trademark of hardcore TRIBBLE fans sad to say.
    According to this interview, Alex Kurtzman wants to make a consistent Trekverse across TV, comics, and STO, which may be why the recent blog posting said that we might see some of the historical databases change due to temporal interference. (Also, it seems it was one of the DSC people who suggested using J'Ula, who comes from the Disco comic.)

This is a real problem with Kurtzman (and apparently with the blessing of CBS) moving towards rewriting the established canon of 50 plus years of film and TV series. It would be far easier and would ruffle far fewer feathers if CBS just comes out and says Discovery is a parallel universe and then they could mess with things as much as they please without altering the TOS timeline. In effect what Kurtzman is saying is that Discovery is more tied into the KT universe then the ENT/TOS/TNG/VOY/DS9 and the films associated with them timeline which is fine not a problem if that is what he means.
    Oh yes I notice a lot of people bandering it's popular. Well CBS has yet to put any real numbers out as to the audience size just like all the other subscription services like Amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix. So what the actual TRIBBLE only audience is well anyone's guess. But based on the numbers given in March by CBS Chairman
    /CEO Les Moonves interview of the goal being 8 million subscribers by 2020 it is not that high given Netflix has over 118 million subscribers at the same point. CBS interactive president Marc Debevise at the time also stated total combined subscriptions for CBS All Access and Showtime OTT were 4 million. Note these are combined numbers and he went on to say CBSAllAccess was around 2 million. This is the latest data I could find by the way so things more then likely changed since March. So is it popular depends on what you consider popular these days. Compared to say American Horror Story well my moneys on American Horror having higher viewer numbers.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Wow. Conspiracy theories get wilder and stupider with every passing year.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > lianthelia wrote: »
    >
    > Bryan Fuller was fired because he was more loyal to canon,
    >
    >
    >
    > Ironic anyone could say this when it was Brian Fuller who demanded all the changes to the Klingons in Discovery, and told everyone who wanted to make them closer to canon **** off.
    >
    > And him being fired is the only reason why the Klingons in the Discovery season 2 trailer look closer to actual Klingons.

Well that and IIRC budget concerns is why Fuller got canned.

But, by the recent news I've seen I think DSC is falling into a well known trap. Hit the nostalgia button as hard as possible while not really doing anything new.

Why as I have others seen, DSC should of been after Voyager.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    after LoR and DR they dod not remove half of the content and make the other half non repeatable.
    AoD did nothing of the sort either.

What are you talking about?

They deactivated a bunch of the leveling missions when AoD launched so they could go in and make tweaks. Why couldn't they do the revamps while leaving them up like they did with the previous round? I don't know, ask Cryptic.

You mean he is trying to make everything follow *His* canon because it is ran by him and execs at CBS who don't care about Star Trek or its canon.

Lets face it Les Moonves hates Sci Fi and Star Trek...hardly knows the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars. He is the one who got this whole TRIBBLE thing going, likely because Star Trek was going to slip into public domain. Explains why all the sudden they felt the need to target anything Star Trek based, even if it was non-profit.
    Lolwut? Thanks to the Mickey Mouse Protection Act that Disney got Congress to pass a while back, even TOS isn't going to pass into the public domain for another few decades. The rest of your post is just as full of factual errors, but this bit really stands out:
    Last I've heard the Picard series isn't even going to stick to Prime canon, but something influenced by TRIBBLE.

Discovery is Prime Canon. Deal with it.
    artan42 wrote: »

Inorite? Next we'll be hearing that George Soros/the Koch brothers are somehow involved.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I haven't read the full thread so I apologize if I am repeating what someone else already said. However in the first podcast interview they did about Discovery they made 2 points:

1: there will still be non-Disco stuff, BUT

2: Disco stuff is going to be a MAJOR focus going forward

Basically they said that this is the first time STO has a chance to be developing content related to an ongoing show, and they are not going to stop doing that with this one update. Disco stuff is going to be a MAJOR theme going forward for as long as the game and show are both alive.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > I haven't read the full thread so I apologize if I am repeating what someone else already said. However in the first podcast interview they did about Discovery they made 2 points:
    >
    > 1: there will still be non-Disco stuff, BUT
    >
    > 2: Disco stuff is going to be a MAJOR focus going forward
    >
    > Basically they said that this is the first time STO has a chance to be developing content related to an ongoing show, and they are not going to stop doing that with this one update. Disco stuff is going to be a MAJOR theme going forward for as long as the game and show are both alive.

Which is more or less what I said earlier. But hey I'm not hating. Should be said more.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • excalibanexcaliban Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    excaliban wrote: »
    Isn't the real question: 'Why would anyone want to make TRIBBLE(iscovery) based content in the first place?'

No. First of all, it's canon Star Trek and so of course they're gonna cover it. Second, some of us actually like it.

I think Episodes 1-2 are okay. I think 3-7 are awful. I think 8+ get progressively better. It starts getting better about the same time the first showrunner got kicked off, who knew.

Also a Star Trek show with a shaky first season? Unheard of! It's only every other series aside from TOS that has had a first season that is either awful or at least unremarkable or shaky in one way or another.

I know some people get bent out of shape about the visuals, but to me, the visuals aren't canon, they're just a "lens". The show looks like how TOS might have looked if they had a budget or the technology to really keep up with Gene's vision, which they did not (even Gene envisioned holographic panels and communications and such).​​

But it [TRIBBLE] is so freakin' boring!!! How are you not bored? I would start watching an episode get passed the credits and I'd start either losing interest or fall asleep, waking up at the end of the episode thinking 'oh year, knew that would happen, saw that coming'.

When they weren't leaking their excuses for "plots", they were telegraphing them worse than a punch from a 1950s western.

No the 'it's was TOS would have looked like if they had the money' excuse doesn't hold any water. TRIBBLE(iscovery) is bad because of the story and characters presented in the show, it's bad because it's supposed to be a Star Trek show with a ship called 'Discovery' and it's about war. It's bad because it's not about a crew, but one single character that would never be in Starfleet to the rank of commander, because Starfleet doesn't accept traumatised control freaks who can't let a science officer do the job he's trained to do.

The only reason Star Trek Discovery is in Star Trek Online is that CBS knows it can't sell a game that stands on TRIBBLE(iscovery)'s own merits. So they have to tack it on to their already existing product.
    starswordc wrote: »
    after LoR and DR they dod not remove half of the content and make the other half non repeatable.
    AoD did nothing of the sort either.

What are you talking about?

They deactivated a bunch of the leveling missions when AoD launched so they could go in and make tweaks. Why couldn't they do the revamps while leaving them up like they did with the previous round? I don't know, ask Cryptic.

Lolwut? Thanks to the Mickey Mouse Protection Act that Disney got Congress to pass a while back, even TOS isn't going to pass into the public domain for another few decades. The rest of your post is just as full of factual errors, but this bit really stands out:

Discovery is Prime Canon. Deal with it.
    artan42 wrote: »

Inorite? Next we'll be hearing that George Soros/the Koch brothers are somehow involved.

In other words because you don't like them they aren't facts, noted.

It is a known fact he hates Sci Fi...he is even the one who cancelled Enterprise.

What next...are you going to try and claim he wasn't outed because of sexual misconduct?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    starswordc wrote: »

In the name of speculation, one of the missions in question did explain what happened to augment-virus infected Klingons. If Discovery season 2 covers the subject then the missions may have been pulled at an opportune time to avoid conflicting with upcoming content (especially important for leveling missions DSC characters soon find.) If so, the revamp may give them an opportunity to invoke DSC's explanation or simply do something else entirely.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I'm rather glad that most of those leveling missions became optional. Before, by the time any of my toons made it to the Romulan Mystery arc, they were Rear Admirals/Admiral I/Brigadier Generals. Why in the name of the Great Bird were they taking orders from some snot-nosed Lieutenant Commander?

When LCDR Lloyd McCoin arrived there, however, he was level 14, and it was perfectly appropriate for LCDR DeSoto to give him orders. I'm assuming that by the time I get sent to DS9, I'll be no higher than Captain at most, so taking orders from Kurland won't be quite so jarring.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.