test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interiors revisted?

Or can we?! Just did the first TRIBBLE mission, and a complete Disco interior exists for it, along with shhuttle bay and Engineering. So, @tacofangs (or whoever is in charge of bridges), why can't we have a full interior on our Disco ships?!

And you guys made a full, new Jem interior too. Yet my JHSS wasn't updated with it. :( Why not?

I understand the rationale of not making new bridges, just for the purpose of selling them, but these are already existing interiors. All you have to do, is switch out a few pointers. Please, find whoever is in charge of that, and let them do it.
3lsZz0w.jpg

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They will say that while the Interiors are there, the interactions necessary to be a working appear into and out of Instance are not there including NPC interactions within.

Take that for what it's worth.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They will say that while the Interiors are there, the interactions necessary to be a working appear into and out of Instance are not there including NPC interactions within.

That didn't seem to be an issue with the full Intrepid interior.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018

But it is surely nothing that 2K zen could not fix, is it? I'd pay that for both the Crossfield and the JHSS. :)

The way they handled the Galaxy interior was a solid compromise I think.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated

But it is surely nothing that 2K zen could not fix, is it? I'd pay that for both the Crossfield and the JHSS. :)

The way they handled the Galaxy interior was a solid compromise I think.

^^ What Peter said. :) I bought the Intrepid interior, and the screen-accurate Galaxy one. I'd pay for an AoD interior too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I agree, we should have full interiors for our AoD ships.

And while we're at it, why not add something to actually do there, besides a few doff assignments? Like boarding actions and other mission elements that take place on our own ship, fleet-holding-like ways for the player to add elements and functions to the interior for a project contribution (such as emergency force fields, decoration, doffs as actual walking people, a bank access in the cargo area, even additional decks, etc.), etc.?

Speaking of boffs, they are broken on my Crossfield bridge. They once showed up correctly seated (granted, along with duplicates in my away team) on Tribble, but now there are just random NPC's, save one.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > sophlogimo wrote: »
    >
    > I agree, we should have full interiors for our AoD ships.
    >
    > And while we're at it, why not add something to actually do there, besides a few doff assignments? Like boarding actions and other mission elements that take place on our own ship, fleet-holding-like ways for the player to add elements and functions to the interior for a project contribution (such as emergency force fields, decoration, doffs as actual walking people, a bank access in the cargo area, even additional decks, etc.), etc.?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Speaking of boffs, they are broken on my Crossfield bridge. They once showed up correctly seated (granted, along with duplicates in my away team) on Tribble, but now there are just random NPC's, save one.

The last time I remember having my bridge entirely crewed by my actual boffs that also sat on their chairs without clipping into the ground was in 2012. I'm not kidding.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Sure it can be done, putting the final touches on it as I specified previously. When they are ready to monitize it, we will get it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Sure it can be done, putting the final touches on it as I specified previously. When they are ready to monitize it, we will get it.

Then we'll probably never get it; OR it will be quite a while as they've said the 'Interior Sets' they have done (Including the TOS, DS9, ST: V and even the TNG 1701-D) don't sell as well compared to the cost in time and resources (read salaries) it takes to make them - so they concentrate on things that give them a better Return On Investment (IE, new ships for the C-Store, and new mission content based on the new Star Trek series to try and bring in new players.

And yes, they have the ST: D interiors they did for the missions, but converting that to be usable as a player full interior again, probably takes more time than they feel is justified for the return they'll get compared to other revenue generating content they can make.

So, again, it's not that the Interiors don't sell at all, but that they don't sell well enough compared to other things that Cryptic can add to the game that do sell better; and every company is always out to do what maximizes their ROI.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Many ships have interiors in mission maps. I myself have eyed the Annorax interior in "Ragnarok." Presumably, they're still not worth converting to playable even though the graphics are there. Can't say I disagree, seeing as there's still nothing to actually do in ship interiors.

Do tell them you'd pay another 2k Zen for them, though. Maybe they'll listen. Hope lots of people bought that Galaxy interior so the sales figures are on your side.
    If they're really doing a payable interior we'd be getting an Infomercial Episode like 'Beyond the Nexus'. If we get 'Beyond the Mycelium Network' as an Episode then you are certain an item will be in the C-Store. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    new interiors? I wish
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Believe me, no one wants to see something more done with ship interiors than I. :disappointed:
    It's too bad that something isn't being done with ship interiors, because most of Star Trek took place on the ship. I think it's something that would be worth investing development time in, because the work put into it could then be used as a basis for so many other things: episode mission maps, PVE/PVP queue maps, etc.

I've said before that I'd love to see Starship Interiors done the way Fleet Starbases are done, but scaled to a personal level. Fleet Starbases have their various leveling projects and cosmetic projects. Starship Interiors could work the same way with project inputs scaled to the individual rather than an entire fleet. Leveling one's Starship Interior would give a player access to more things: Bank, Email, Tailor, etc. Cosmetic projects could allow for decor in the Captain's Quarters, Ten Forward, or even allow to toggle between TOS, TMP, TNG, and 2410 aesthetics.

Fleet Starbases have holdings that can also be leveled and have cosmetic projects. On Starship Interiors this would be represented by adding new decks, for example:

Crew Deck: Captain's Quarters with possible Tailor access and trophy displays. Ten Forward with a variety of games that we've seen played in Star Trek and possibly a dance floor. Assign quarters to various BOFFS, visit them and they could give you a daily mission to be done aboard ship.

Life Sciences: a menagerie for storing and displaying pets bought and earned, possible breeding projects for said pets to be unlocked, games for scanning, detecting, identifying life forms.

Stellar Cartography: scanning games for locating, identifying various stellar phenomenon.

Sick Bay: triaging patients game (similar to the Kobali triage mission) for crew members that wander into Sick Bay.

Shuttle Bay: small craft that we own could be displayed here, switching to small craft could be done here, traveling to Fleet Holding could be done here, queueing for shuttle PVE/PVP could be done here, perhaps some unique shuttle piloting/racing missions could be done from here.

Engineering: engineering diagnostic games (warp field, plasma flow adjustments), detecting problems on the ship somewhere then going there and fixing it, a Jefferies tube scavenger hunt type game (using a blank map like Temporal Ambassador), crafting of unique items available only here.

Allow our designated Department Heads to be assigned to occupy the relevant station on board, ex) CMO would be in Sick Bay, Chief Engineer would be in Engineering.

Allow us some (at least limited) choices on crew composition. Perhaps using toggles for species, uniforms that they wear. These options could also be made available through cosmetic projects. Personally, I'd love to see the DOFF roster used to determine crew composition. Allow a toggle or slider for number of crew on a given map with 0 being an option as well. Interacting with random crew members could yield a daily mission or unique DOFF assignment.

The maps themselves could be used to update older episode missions that take place aboard a ship and future missions that need to take place aboard a ship. Also, ship boarding/repel boarders PVE/PVP queues could use the maps as well. Perhaps even a capture the flag type CPVE mission: two teams beam in, Team A captures the bridge, Team B captures engineering. First one to their goal wins.

Additionally, the Starship Interiors maps would be separate and independent from the bridge, so one could use the bridge of their choice. There could be an option to sync visuals between the bridge and interior for ships that only have a bridge and no other decks to re-skin those decks with the same aesthetics. For example, using a Hirogen ship would re-skin the Starship Interiors deck maps using Hirogen textures, using a Tholian ship would re-skin them using Tholian textures.

Unless there is a way to connect them via map moving in the turbolift, unique ship interiors would be retained as they are. They just wouldn't utilize this system. So your full TOS, Defiant, Voyager, etc. interiors would be retained and could be used separately. This proposed Starship Interiors system would be the new default interior for your ship, though. There might be uproar about that, but it's the best way to preserve previous ship interior/bridge purchases with (hopefully) minimal uproar. Perhaps have those purchases automatically unlock texturing/lighting aesthetics to give them an extra bonus. So, those canon interior aesthetics could be applied to the new interiors. It wouldn't be an exact TOS interior, but it would look like that era. It wouldn't be an exact TNG interior, but it would use that aesthetic. It wouldn't be an exact Tholian interior, but it would fit that style.

The deck/room layouts would be generic, so that they could be easily used for missions. As it is, doing a 5-man Starbase defense, the queue randomly chooses a Fleet Starbase from among the participants. Whatever level/visuals that base is in is the map that's used. Same would go for a potential 5-man ship boarding/repelling queue maps. Someone in the team's ship map will be used. The layouts are all the same, but the look might be different.

Yes, FED, KDF, and ROM would need 3 separate layouts, but only for the crew deck and engineering deck. New decks added, like holdings, could be a generic corridor with rooms branching off. What would make them unique would be the skin that's applied to them: a Starfleet skin, Klingon skin, Romulan skin as the basic default look depending on the character. Other skins would be unlocked via cosmetic projects, C-Store purchases, Lock Box ships, etc. The Reputation System could be tied into it, too: Tier 5 Reputation Project that allows for unique Starship Interior visuals.

Oh, and this would be a per character system, not account wide, unless a certain purchase unlocks for the account.

I think that threads and polls like this try to show Cryptic that there might be support to do this, that players would be willing to buy it into it if it were made. And while Cryptic does indeed want to make money, I don't think that is the real hold up here. I think that this is something they might be willing to do, if they knew how they could best implement it and get the most bang for their buck for the time and development that they'd put into it.

The best example I can point to is the Voyager interior. It's beautiful, iconic, and screen accurate. One of the reasons we got that interior with that level of detail, though, was because it was extensively used during the Delta Rising story arc missions. And so, it could be used for future story missions as well. Bonus that it could sold to the masses as a Starship Bridge/Interior.

What I've tried to do with the proposal that I made was less about how much or whether players would be willing to spend real money for it, but rather try to show Cryptic: a direction they could go to implement it; to tie it into systems that they already have; to use it as an asset for future story/mission development; how to expand on it, so that it shows potential for future growth rather than a one-and-done project; to make it an integral part of one's daily game play; and yeah, maybe there are some aspects that can be monetized, too.

We've got to give them more than just saying, "Hey, I'd buy it, if you make it." That's easy to ignore or pass on by. I want to get them interested. I want to give them an idea that gets them excited enough to say, "That's awesome! I'd love to build that into the game!"
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    They should at least update the generic alien bridge because it does look quite dated now. The Aquarius bridge could use some updates to.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    My personal belief is Cryptic should give us the tools to make our own ship interiors. The Bridge is always on its own level so creating a ship interior would be no different from creating a Foundry map since we don't have to worry about windows that show the outer hull like some bridges. Cryptic would need to provide the skins and objects, but most of that should already be done. Cryptic could only provide an initial selection of skins and objects for free while more unique skins and objects would require spending Dilithium or Zen on. For example, if I want to create a borgified ship interior with Borg Alcoves and other Borg decorations, then I would have to buy the Borg Interior Pack from the C-Store.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    All of the Discovery ships need the interiors and the correct warp animations. I honestly would pay. As much as I hear Cryptic wanting to be screen accurate, I can't believe this hasn't happened already.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    All of the Discovery ships need the interiors and the correct warp animations. I honestly would pay. As much as I hear Cryptic wanting to be screen accurate, I can't believe this hasn't happened already.

They don't *need* them...plus I imagine they'd say if you want the Warp, Transporter, and all the other animations you're free to make a AoD character.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    lianthelia wrote: »

They don't *need* them...plus I imagine they'd say if you want the Warp, Transporter, and all the other animations you're free to make a AoD character.

Oh I'm sure they would. Its amazing they come up with all of these ways to try and make money but then completely ignore the ones we state we would actually pay for....

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    starkaos wrote: »
    My personal belief is Cryptic should give us the tools to make our own ship interiors.

they cant even give us a decent foundry and you expect them to deliver something usable for this?
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And you guys made a full, new Jem interior too. Yet my JHSS wasn't updated with it. :( Why not?
    This was a sticking point with me. If someone owns a Jem'Hadar lockbox, lobi or promo ship AND the Vanguard ships why shouldn't they be allowed to use their vanguard bridge on those prize ships? They even created a whole new Jem'Hadar lock box ship, the Light Battlecruiser and didn't give it access to the Vanguard bridge. What gives?

I also loved Rivera's response to my question about this in a live stream. His answer basically boiled down to "LOLNOPE!" Actual word for word response was "uh. No. (chuckles)." Great response, Al.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    This was a sticking point with me. If someone owns a Jem'Hadar lockbox, lobi or promo ship AND the Vanguard ships why shouldn't they be allowed to use their vanguard bridge on those prize ships? They even created a whole new Jem'Hadar lock box ship, the Light Battlecruiser and didn't give it access to the Vanguard bridge. What gives?

I also loved Rivera's response to my question about this in a live stream. His answer basically boiled down to "LOLNOPE!" Actual word for word response was "uh. No. (chuckles)." Great response, Al.

I find his response rather... bewildering, to stay polite. One might think he wanted to fleece ppl for extra money, with the Light Battlecruiser; but if that doesn't have the new interior either, them why "LOLNOPE"?! It's not like he can sell the Vanguard ship to me twice, as it's an account unlock. And if ppl already own a Vanguard, then there's nothing on God's green Earth to prevent us from having access to the new interior. Almost feels like a kneejerk reaction from him, like "The greed in me tells me LOLNOPE. I'm not even sure why, but this is going to be my response."

Moreover, as they stopped making interiors for lockbox/lobi ships, you'd think at least they'd do us the common sense courtesy of updating our existing interiors when they made new ones.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    It's not even a greed thing. It's just dumb. The Light Battlecruiser was released at the same time as the Vanguard ships. There was a conscious choice made to give the lock box ship the old lame looking Jem'Hadar bridge. I wasn't expecting the Vanguard bridge when I bought the Gamma pack but I was pleasantly surprised to see how awesome it was.

Ultimately it doesn't matter that much to me since it's just a useless interior. But dumb things like this are why they don't make money on interiors. They don't understand what their customers want and they have no clue on how to deliver it. Thankfully, it has no bearing on how useful our ships are.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • cptelfendercptelfender Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    TBH, i just want to be able to use any faction approriate interior/bridge pack for any ship...i love my Na'Khul ship, but that interior sux
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    @baddmoonrizin

Necrothread.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    away with ye necromancy
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.