test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Age of Discovery Launches October 9th

14567810»

Comments

• alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Anyone else notice that the redone mission arcs in AoD have broken some of the Delta Recruit arc completions?
    I recently burned my way through the Play in Shadows arc, and am now running around on Nimbus (Wasteland arc), but on the little Tesseract comm-thingy, it's claiming I haven't completed it. I have a screenshot showing all the In Shadow missions with *Replay* (wondering how to post it here as proof).
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Anyone else notice that the redone mission arcs in AoD have broken some of the Delta Recruit arc completions?
    I recently burned my way through the Play in Shadows arc, and am now running around on Nimbus (Wasteland arc), but on the little Tesseract comm-thingy, it's claiming I haven't completed it. I have a screenshot showing all the In Shadow missions with *Replay* (wondering how to post it here as proof).

If you have an account that lets you create a Gallery, such as www.enjin.com, tripod.com, or a yahoo group at groups.yahoo.com, you can upload the image file there, then copy the url for the file to your clipboard/notepad. When you create a post click the drop-down on the Image icon, and paste the url into that. Done.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @saurializard

J'Ula was introduced in the IDW Discovery tie in comics and she will be appearing in the upcoming season 2 of Discovery at least from what I've heard so yeah this is just part of the fleshing out of the character.

The DSC season 2 role is interesting to know, since that takes place after the battles at Starbase One. I was hoping for her hanging around to play the part of foil to the player character.
    botc76 wrote: »
    The new missions are a joke, the Discovery era is even less integrated than the Jem Hadar captains are, no comparison with how it was with the first time travel characters, where you had new parts for all story arcs, making it really feel new.

I'm on the opposite side of this, TOS characters had more missions but those were unfocused. AoD builds a much clearer arc, gives its stakes and connectivity, and leaves us with a personal foil (J'ula) to which the vague threat of Na'Kuhl pales in comparison (in terms of narrative function.) This is a much better starting experience, best of the FED IMO.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    I'm very disappointed with this new season.
    They removed several missions (and yes, the Klingon War arc was too long, I admit that) and all you get is a new tutorial and two short, small missions, then you're dumped to the current era spacedock.

What exactly is my motivation to go and play these same storylines for a seventh time? There is zero incentive to do so.

The new missions are a joke, the Discovery era is even less integrated than the Jem Hadar captains are, no comparison with how it was with the first time travel characters, where you had new parts for all story arcs, making it really feel new.
    The new displays for Commendations and queues are worse to navigate than before.
    They make the game worse, not better.

I made a new toon, even spend the 750 Zen for the Starter pack (and apart from the ship, what a joke of a Starter pack that was) and now I can't make myself play ANY of my toons, because I'm so disappointed I don't even wanna see the game right now.

And let's not forget all the bugs.

I have to disagree somewhat on the issue of the starter pack. A ship that levels up with you was a good move. My grip with that one is that they could have made the cutoff at level 40 instead of 30.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited October 2018

If there are any of the new Task Force introduction missions added to an arc, you probably need to play them to get credit as thney are part of most arcs now. If you did play them, yeah, guess it's a bug.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User

I'm on the opposite side of this, TOS characters had more missions but those were unfocused. AoD builds a much clearer arc, gives its stakes and connectivity, and leaves us with a personal foil (J'ula) to which the vague threat of Na'Kuhl pales in comparison (in terms of narrative function.) This is a much better starting experience, best of the FED IMO.

In which game are two story missions an arc?

I have to disagree somewhat on the issue of the starter pack. A ship that levels up with you was a good move. My grip with that one is that they could have made the cutoff at level 40 instead of 30.

Hence I wrote that it was a joke apart from the ship. The ship isn't bad, though I agree with you on the level cap.
  • fraghul3000fraghul3000 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I'm very disappointed with this new season.
    They removed several missions (and yes, the Klingon War arc was too long, I admit that) and all you get is a new tutorial and two short, small missions, then you're dumped to the current era spacedock.

What exactly is my motivation to go and play these same storylines for a seventh time? There is zero incentive to do so.

The new displays for Commendations and queues are worse to navigate than before.
    They make the game worse, not better.

I made a new toon, even spend the 750 Zen for the Starter pack (and apart from the ship, what a joke of a Starter pack that was) and now I can't make myself play ANY of my toons, because I'm so disappointed I don't even wanna see the game right now.

And let's not forget all the bugs.

I feel the same way.

I was really looking forward to this, since I might be one of the few people who thought Discovery wasn't TRIBBLE, but it has been a complete letdown.

- lackluster intro of the new characters, with only 2 new missions, which itself only reward green junk as mission reward, so there is zero replay value with other characters.
    - no reward system as with other subfactions: if you really don't want to make a new char, it's basically: "play the intro and delete again"
    - removal of old missions
    - overhaul of the reputation menu and system: everything has become more cluttered than before. The menu is a complete mess, which is definately an "improvement" caused by STOs release on consoles. The rewards are also lackluster. No new skills, no new traits, no warp cores for the older factions, no connected story, no doffs, no boffs, no new costumes, no special items, no admiralty ships...just a non-noticable, 1.X point increase on existing skills. how exciting...
    - overhaul of then queue system: same here. "improvement" of the old queue listing, which makes everything a bit more unreadable and cluttered, with the addition of the removal of the number of people in queue.
    - Random Task Force: good idea, horrible implementation. A couple of additional marks and dilithium (who doesn't have enough unrefined dilithium by now to last them for years?) aren't a great incentive. My experiences so far: queued 5 times, Everytime, at least 2-3 people left after zoning in, with the group not getting restocked. My guess: the zone wasn't to their liking.

In all those years, this really is the first update where I don't have a single "Pro" item on my PRO/CON-list. Just a huge disappointment.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    No Dsc Andorians to play... Booo
  • qandiceqandice Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Hmm having done the tutorial first few missions they did the job getting you to the point of the main game, introduced a bunch concepts and annoyed long time players. Yes a ^c^v of the tutorial in places but then why build something new when you can blame it on temporal shennanigans? It is still vastly better than the original tutorial - the original, orriginal, not the second or thirs Fed one. As for the getting dumped in at Level 6, that used to be where Klingins started so maybe a piece of self-irony by the Devs. Never seen Discovery but based on what I have seen can easily see why it annoys. seriously that Tilly needs to be dialled down.

That was supposed to be a British Accent? Really? Sounded more Aussie than Brit - in fact I thought it was nice to hear an Australian themed character or two. It didn't sound "Brit" to me in any way shape or form. But I have the advantage of listening to what real Brits sound like, every day. I want Cryptic to add a BOFF with a Scouse Accent! That would be fun, and get rid of the notion all Brits sound like we have a bit of silverware up our bums.

I though a lot of them were more Australian than Brit. Not seen a Sci-Fi Aussie since Space 1999 and yes we need more authentic British Accents, Geordie, Cornish and Glaswegian for starters.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @saurializard

J'Ula was introduced in the IDW Discovery tie in comics and she will be appearing in the upcoming season 2 of Discovery at least from what I've heard so yeah this is just part of the fleshing out of the character.

The DSC season 2 role is interesting to know, since that takes place after the battles at Starbase One. I was hoping for her hanging around to play the part of foil to the player character.

Based on Cryptic saying this will be tied into Discovery and Daniels' remark about the timelines and so on I would not be surprised if future missions revolve around your character being the one to punt her back where she belongs using Flange-Tech™ to do this with you and her yo-yoing back and forth due to events in game.
    edited October 2018
    In which game are two story missions an arc?

STO, we've gone through arcs encompassing a single episode before for characters (typically side characters) whose role begins and ends with that mission (with that representing a change in that character.) The player character, for example, in the Standard FED tutorial goes through an arc. Here, we have 3 missions (launching at the start of a season) which establish the progression of the player character from cadet to serving officer in another time period. It's not the completion of their character, but it damn well is a story arc functioning within a larger narrative.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Nice that the TOS Connie can have the Malachowski paintjob/Patterns!
    How soon can we have the Discovery Materials on the TOS Connies?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    That's it? That's all you could give us? A rewrite of the tutorial and two missions? You guys are really getting chintzy with what you claim is an expansion.
    Lane Bjorn Jorgensson, Captain, ISS Voltaire

Here's a map to show how much they've screwed up the game map.
    edited October 2018
    xariama wrote: »
    That's it? That's all you could give us? A rewrite of the tutorial and two missions? You guys are really getting chintzy with what you claim is an expansion.

This isn't an expansion. Victory is Life is an expansion. That just came out a few months ago. What we have here is effectively Season 15, branded as an "age" to get out of the cycle of heavily concentrated season updates (with long pauses between.) New TFO soon, more episodes after the winter event.

And note that seasons have never shipped with a new starting experience and its rare for a modern season to ship with more than one episode. And yet...

If there are any of the new Task Force introduction missions added to an arc, you probably need to play them to get credit as thney are part of most arcs now. If you did play them, yeah, guess it's a bug.

Went back through the missions to see if I'd missed anything, did the TFO Romulan Minefield which was the only thing unplayed for my rommie and still the Delta reward is locked... beginning to wonder if they've tied all the rewards to the AoD missions... since the NPCs won't shut up about them!
  • buckolocko#5785 buckolocko Member Posts: 2 New User
    They should definitely add some KDF content with Star Trek Discovery since the Klingons are already lacking content and Star Trek Discovery gives us the ability to add new Klingon content.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2018

OH dear...I still have 6 or 7 Delta Recruits, a Temporal Recruit and 4 Gamma Recruits. I am just gonna halt all progression on the any of the Story related and recruit related stuff for a while.

Are you finding all the Delta Recruit interact locations inside the missions, OK?
    Are you able to pick up the boxes with the level up equipment in them for the Deltas???

So many things have to connect together just so perfectly inside the program to get these Recruiting events to work right. From Character to Device...From Device to Temporal Agents for account unlocks. It is amazing we have so many of them.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2018

Installation 18... -there is some current issue with this quest as of now, as you saw.

I have no solution here, just saying it has a probe in Installation 18 quest and that this is also the quest you are missing.
    How to get it for a delta char which hadn't yet did Installation 18? I don't know, but since you made the other pres to go to where wasteland line USED TO be, I'd assume, and since yesterday's war was changed to be skip-able, non bouncing AND to include survivor (and a quest previously from a previous line - was it temporal ambassador?) see what happens if you do this whole... and then in nimbus III/avaialble tab play what used to be wasteland? -REALLY I HAVE NO IDEA HERE.

P.S.
    For the other one - Jemm doesn't have wasteland's line objective or any probe collections. AoYs need this line along with probes in multiple missions in this line. Delta needs this line and, probe-wise, needs this installation 18's probe only. Note that at least with ONE delta chars, once you have all probes on a delta you have delta's probes account-wide reward. I won't enter into line's here since it's a bit more complicated and I am not sure of some fine details.

*feeding an edit monster
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
    edited October 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »

OH dear...I still have 6 or 7 Delta Recruits, a Temporal Recruit and 4 Gamma Recruits. I am just gonna halt all progression on the any of the Story related and recruit related stuff for a while.

Are you finding all the Delta Recruit interact locations inside the missions, OK?
    Are you able to pick up the boxes with the level up equipment in them for the Deltas???

So many things have to connect together just so perfectly inside the program to get these Recruiting events to work right. From Character to Device...From Device to Temporal Agents for account unlocks. It is amazing we have so many of them.

The only reward (so far) I've have been unable to claim is the In Shadows arc completion one (Haven't finished Wasteland, and haven't done Installation 18 yet), the other rewards like the level rewards, join fleet reward, the mission specific rewards (like Night of the Comet for example) have been claimable. I'm just wondering of the redo of the various arcs by removing certain missions or combining certain missions is causing the issue with the Delta Recruit arc rewards.

EDIT: Noticed in the Accolades the mission arcs I've completed, and double checked there to see if any of the chain is missing, Temporal Ambassador is still listed as part of the In Shadows chain, even though it's been moved to the Yesterday's War arc. meaning having to run 8 more ENTIRE arcs before it's completed... Accolades save lives.
    Post edited by alyxvixen#3895 on
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    Fun story - the day AoD launched, I played for a bit, looked around... Then my screen got these white flickering lines and within 5 minutes two thirds of my screen went blank and I had to get a new one. Not saying it's a sign, but it's totally a sign :smiley:

On the other end, I was a bit sceptical about random TFOs, but it turns out it's quite okay (most of the time). Although space queues seem to pop there way more often than ground, and Swarm and Starbase One seem to be the most frequent - so at least that prediction came out true (that there will still be queues that pop way more often than others).