test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery Starter Pack kinda useless in current form, any changes expected?

forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
After the original blogs, I had intended to start a Discovery captain and put the Discovery Starter Pack on it. Then I learned that Discovery was Fed-limited, race-limited, and had no distinguishing characteristics (beyond some show tie-ins which aren't relevant to me). In other words, Yet Another Fedling With Nothing Special.

Since I may not create a DSC captain now, I thought, well, my Jem-Hadar needs more slots... I'll buy it on him! "NOPE!" says Cryptic, "keep your damn money, we don't want it". Can't buy it on Fed-Jem. Can't buy it on Fed-Rom. Can't buy the pack on a straight-up Fed and transfer the slots / XP boost somewhere else (I am told... though someone had a tip that if you bought it on a Fed with maxed slots already, you get an Account-bound slots box you can transfer across the account).

There are also hints that 'more Discovery stuff will be coming', but then they stress that the Starter Pack sale is "limited time, act soon!". Well, I would act now … except Cryptic makes it pointless to do so. The only captains I can use it on are the ones who don't need the items.

If there is any news on changes/fixes/updates to this issue, I would appreciate any info (that arrives before the discount ends). Thank you!

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The starter pack is more geared towards newer players.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The ship is great for levelling without having to constantly change your ship, but a JH wouldn't have any use for it.
    I'd totally buy the pack just for the admiralty card, if they'd let me claim it on a fedrom.

As it is, no sale.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The only thing you would gain from the pack on a Jem'Hadar would be the inventory slots. You don't need the ship, and the vanity pet is purely cosmetic.

It would be cheaper to just buy your Jem some slots. As said above, the pack is more for new players and the Walker is a great ship for leveling. It's a great pack, but not for everyone.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    It's not a bad pack... it's not a good pack either. I like the ship, using it on several of my lower level characters and I believe the ship weapons also scale (tried them on three different levels of characters (7th, 13th and 17th) and am getting different damage numbers from each of them... so don't throw them out!!) The personal weapons are okay, would have preferred the rifle to be something other than a sniper rifle. The Tardigrade pet is novel, but would have made a bit more sense to be a combat pet given we see it maul Klingons.
    Would have liked it to be more like the (no longer available) Federation basic starter but with a Discovery feel. Not sure about the new Fed starter pack...

Also like that they've finally given the KDF a starter pack. Though am puzzled at where the DS9 Pack has disappeared off to...
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User

Though am puzzled at where the DS9 Pack has disappeared off to...

I found it in Discount Packs => Bundles tab in Zen store
    But it was unaccesible to my Disco toon, until I hit level 11 and DOFF system unlocked...
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    > @saber1973a said:
    > alyxvixen alyxvixen#3895
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > …
    > Though am puzzled at where the DS9 Pack has disappeared off to...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I found it in Discount Packs => Bundles tab in Zen store
    > But it was unaccesible to my Disco toon, until I hit level 11 and DOFF system unlocked...

I couldn't find it for a standard Fed character at level 20. I'll have another lookie when I hop back in though, might just have skimmed past it.
    The only thing you would gain from the pack on a Jem'Hadar would be the inventory slots.
    And the admiralty card. Which at least for me is the only thing in the pack I would want.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    My Fed-Hadar actually can’t claim The Walker. Not sure why, but he can’t use it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    My Fed-Hadar actually can’t claim The Walker. Not sure why, but he can’t use it.

Romulans allied with Feds also con not claim the scaling Walker. Let's hope it's a bug and it will get fixed soon
    (toogether with that admirality cards sorting issue).
    saber1973a wrote: »

Romulans allied with Feds also con not claim the scaling Walker. Let's hope it's a bug and it will get fixed soon
    (toogether with that admirality cards sorting issue).
    Right. They just gave rommies and jemmies access to all allied ships (except a few lockbox multipacks, probably to avoid having to code a new faction selector into the packs), so there's no apparent reason to put up this one as fed-only now. Unless it's just Cryptic living up to their name again.
This discussion has been closed.