test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disco season 2 trailer. Fixed some stuffs. :D

Comments

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I'm not a fan of the Gothic aesthetic. Sorry, I know I should be. But space ships which travel a high speeds will never have jagged hull plates pointing in all directions. Hulls will be as smooth as practical, for the same reason tanks are built that way. At interstellar speeds dust is deadly.

But even if I accept ships like the Connies and the Warbirds as functional, (hey, TV show, right?) I'm still not a fan of Neo-Gothic styles in architecture, clothing, makeup, or art. It just seems gaudy and depressing to me. I think my best bet is to wait for all those goth kids who attained positions of responsibility in the arts to move up the ladder and let newer, younger artists take over. Of course, then I'll have to sit through a generation of every alien being tattooed and pierced.

In the meantime I can watch some TOS and sing, "Headin' out to Eden, yeah, brother!"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    It's canon that Klingons CAN and WILL keep ships in active service until destroyed in battle...
    and yet we don't see any D-5s (Enterprise), Raptors (Enterprise) or that ship that used to be called a Bird of Prey before they rolled out the batwing thing with the weird 'curled hunch' fuselage.

so either they can't build them anymore, or they can't maintain them and have to rely on imports and/or ships too obsolete to make the cut in previous conflicts.
    that or, like a funny looking tree ring, it says something about that time period. Maybe they actually did get blown up?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    There was a D5 in service in this era, the Klothos at Caleb IV. From the time period, it might have even been a battle in Discovery's Klingon War.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    so...
    DSC s1 = Klingon Gothic
    DSC s2 = Klingon Renaissance?

My take on the multiplicity of weird designs, aside from the IRL reasons of the legal stipulations of using Bad Robot's/Paramount's 'Special License', is that in-universe, the great houses were each doing their own thing, high on their own egos, each believing themselves superior to their peers (the other houses). Very much operation as warring states of a formerly unified empire. Within each 'state' they had just enough infrastructure to keep producing ships and war materiel, but not much resources to spare for innovation, so shipbuilders would only get paid if A) they could build the ships the House favored for tactics and/or aesthetics, and B) build them at an acceptable rate.

I have noticed, the long, oblong ship looks like it could be a precursor to the Gorn Sci ships in the C-store, and a couple of the other Klingon Gothic ships look like they could be remotely related to some of the FASA Klingon ships.

Side note: I wanna see a Disco-7 and a Drell-7 fight!
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    It works okay for me since the Empire is very explicitly stagnant and dying from within, which calls to mind the Imperial Navy from 40k (who also have a very Gothic aesthetic, and for the same reasons). But I'm glad they're kicking that to the curb with season 2, now that L'Rell is starting to stabilize things.

Practically speaking L'Rell should be dead almost immediately, not stabilizing anything, but they wrote themselves into a corner so naturally her being a complete idiot will work out.

I mean, L'Rell's goal is the unification of the Empire and she's in a precarious position where at the moment literally the only reason anyone is listening to her is because she has a proverbial gun (planet bomb) to their heads. L'Rell also does not care at all about the Federation or humans, beyond having a grudging respect for a couple of them.

The absolutely dumbest possible thing she could do in this situation is order the Great Houses to abandon a war they're overwhelmingly winning against their biggest rival.

Conversely, the absolute smartest thing she could do to secure her position and achieve her goals is to lead the Houses in the final conquest of the Federation under the banner of a united Klingon Empire.

Luckily Burnham had seen the scripts for Season 2 and knew that L'rell was going to choose the dumb option and it would work, thus leaving her free to make her wannabe Picard speech.
  • Options
    Conversely, the absolute smartest thing she could do to secure her position and achieve her goals is to lead the Houses in the final conquest of the Federation under the banner of a united Klingon Empire.
    Except that is the exact opposite of smart as the Federation being around to be "the enemy" is the only reason why the Kligon houses are untied in the first place, and allowing the Federation to be destroyed would only mean that the Klingons would go back to warring among each other as they were before.
    Worse... they'd fight over the remains of the Federation. That's lot of territory. The wars would probably last over a decade.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Well, Season 2 is coming on 17th Jan 19, it will be interesting to see what changes are made going forward.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    They were incredibly stupid in pretty much everything... T'Kuvma's main character trait is that he was smarter than 90% of Klingons ever seen in any Star Trek work.
    That's sad. Because T'Kuvma is a moron. I'm certain "congenital brain damage" is a hereditary trait of his house.

T'Kuvma's basis for getting the Empire to fight the Federation is "cultural degradation". Federation ideas are going to corrupt and destroy Klingon ideals and values. So, he drags some ancient Klingon "beacon" to the edge of Klingon space in some convoluted plan to manipulate all parties into murdering each other.

Why would he go to all that effort, when we can see multi-cultural "strip malls" on Qo'nos? It would be much simpler to say, "Look! Look at our children! See how they are wearing Levi's jeans and listening to that accursed rock music? Can you not see with your own eyes the very CORRUPTION of what it means to be Klingon? The degradation of our cultural values, here in the very HEART of the Empire! This cannot stand! We must destroy the Federation, before they destroy US!" (this sort of thing actually happens from time to time on Earth, so there is some basis in reality here).

Here you have proof (or easily manipulated "evidence") of "cultural attack" on Qo'nos itself. Why drag your beacon to the edge of no where when you could just light it around Qo'nos? Why manipulate some Federation patsy when you have all the "evidence" you need of the "insidious" nature of the Federation in your own backyard?

T'Kuvma is an unimaginative thug who would drown in his morning coffee if he did not have redundant nostrils.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    They were incredibly stupid in pretty much everything... T'Kuvma's main character trait is that he was smarter than 90% of Klingons ever seen in any Star Trek work.
    That's sad. Because T'Kuvma is a moron. I'm certain "congenital brain damage" is a hereditary trait of his house.

T'Kuvma's basis for getting the Empire to fight the Federation is "cultural degradation". Federation ideas are going to corrupt and destroy Klingon ideals and values. So, he drags some ancient Klingon "beacon" to the edge of Klingon space in some convoluted plan to manipulate all parties into murdering each other.

Why would he go to all that effort, when we can see multi-cultural "strip malls" on Qo'nos? It would be much simpler to say, "Look! Look at our children! See how they are wearing Levi's jeans and listening to that accursed rock music? Can you not see with your own eyes the very CORRUPTION of what it means to be Klingon? The degradation of our cultural values, here in the very HEART of the Empire! This cannot stand! We must destroy the Federation, before they destroy US!" (this sort of thing actually happens from time to time on Earth, so there is some basis in reality here).

Here you have proof (or easily manipulated "evidence") of "cultural attack" on Qo'nos itself. Why drag your beacon to the edge of no where when you could just light it around Qo'nos? Why manipulate some Federation patsy when you have all the "evidence" you need of the "insidious" nature of the Federation in your own backyard?

T'Kuvma is an unimaginative thug who would drown in his morning coffee if he did not have redundant nostrils.
    He's apparently smarter than you are. He had a stated goal and it had nothing to do with racial purity.

His goal was to prevent an internal power struggle by giving the Klingons something OUTSIDE the empire to focus their rage on. What you suggest would have CAUSED a civil war rather than preventing one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    T'Kuvma was as concerned about his species identity in the rising threat of the Federation's cultural signifcance when he decided to set starfleet up for an elaborate trap so the Klingons stop fighting each other. He was mostly successful until he was assassinated. Kol then came back around in an attempt to drive the reunification down his desired outcome and he too was killed. The Klingon houses without a unifying voice all competing with each other for glory and honor started carving up pieces of the Federation to prove their worthiness.

The Implication that the Klingon houses were divided before T'Kuvma came around, suggests there was signifcant smaller civil wars between houses. In fact after the Federation and Klingons found peace, the Klingons were still fighting each other for land, resources and political power as it was also implied during TNG and DS9. Klingon civil wars are probably common on Qo'nos and in the empire in general.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    T'Kuvma didn't have redundant nostrils. He had the usual two with heavy ridging over them.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    T'Kuvma was as concerned about his species identity in the rising threat of the Federation's cultural signifcance when he decided to set starfleet up for an elaborate trap so the Klingons stop fighting each other. He was mostly successful until he was assassinated. Kol then came back around in an attempt to drive the reunification down his desired outcome and he too was killed. The Klingon houses without a unifying voice all competing with each other for glory and honor started carving up pieces of the Federation to prove their worthiness.
    One thing I feel the need to point out is that T'Kuvma seemed to be using the "remain Klingon" thing as a pretense for war, and may not have actually believed it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    One thing I feel the need to point out is that T'Kuvma seemed to be using the "remain Klingon" thing as a pretense for war, and may not have actually believed it.

put it this way, if he didn't believe it, he wouldn't be there espouting his destined call to arms, he wouldn't have pulled that piece of junk to the federation border, neither would he of commited the acts that put him there. he wouldn't collected another piece of junk he was flying on either.

in his mind he believes the cause which is pretty unusual for a Klingon, he believed so completely that he was willing to share his responsibility with others and care for the Klingon dead under his care like he regretted the loss of Klingon life on his journey. This is a man who was commited to his path and how he wanted it done and he needed to believe it was the right call.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    T'Kuvma didn't have redundant nostrils. He had the usual two with heavy ridging over them.

IIRC Glenn Hetrick and Neville Page described their "new and improved Klingons" as having dual nostrils. Why is anyone's guess.

They also have two sets of genitals, apparently. The writer's joked about Klingons having "two of everything" and they literally made it so. I wonder why they don't have four eyes.

Source: https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2313832/how-star-trek-discovery-confirmed-the-klingons-having-two-genitals-theory​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    "Ah, the benefits of a redundant nervous system."

"Yeah, humans don't have those."

"Oh. Must've hurt like hell, then."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Just like turning Harry Mudd from a con-man and adventurer who maybe had a bit of a problem with responsibility into a serial killing psychopath-but without the superficial charm, you're arguing with someone who desperately wants the black-and-white world of "We are good and they are not just bad but EVIL".

Back up a minute Patrick. A, Harry Mudd in his original incarnation was a slave trader who happened to be played for laughs because that was apparently thought to be funny in the 1960s. Slavers tend not to be good people.

B, I wouldn't think you of all people would be surprised at what people will try to do when they think there aren't any consequences for it. A time loop that he himself is in control of is the ultimate consequenceless environment, so he takes advantage of it and repeatedly murders the guy who left him for dead in Klingon custody to amuse himself (until he actually gets bored). While I'm at it, recall for a moment what Klingon custody was like in all previous incarnations of the franchise, and couple that with his aforementioned "problem with responsibility" to get "high-functioning narcissistic sociopath": he doesn't believe he bears any responsibility at all for what happened on the prison ship (despite, you know, spying on his cellmates for the guards and volunteering them to be beaten so he wouldn't be), it's all that Big Bad Lorca's fault.
    brian334 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Gothic aesthetic. Sorry, I know I should be. But space ships which travel a high speeds will never have jagged hull plates pointing in all directions. Hulls will be as smooth as practical, for the same reason tanks are built that way. At interstellar speeds dust is deadly.
    Ahem, navigational deflector, anyone? Anyone? (Beuller?)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options

IIRC Glenn Hetrick and Neville Page described their "new and improved Klingons" as having dual nostrils. Why is anyone's guess.

I don't recall that and it clearly didn't make it onto screen, or if i did it only affected T'Kuvma and no other Klingons because, for the ones with lighter skin colours, it's obvious it's just ridging.
    The only reason it keeps coming up is because T'Kuvma's actor is dark skinned and on top of that they gave him the darkest makeup and gave his ship poor lighting. It's just shadows.

If it was mentioned it'll be along the same lines as those 'predator senses' that require the shaving of hair to use that certain people keep banging on about despite not being canon and outright contradicted by the S2 trailer (well, and the other 50 years of the franchise) which those certain people had seen prior to continuing their false claims.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    They also have two sets of genitals, apparently. The writer's joked about Klingons having "two of everything" and they literally made it so. I wonder why they don't have four eyes.

Source: https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2313832/how-star-trek-discovery-confirmed-the-klingons-having-two-genitals-theory

I found that quite funny.

Though from the context (i.e. right next to all those Orion strip clubs) that Klingon just has a interesting STI.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Just like turning Harry Mudd from a con-man and adventurer who maybe had a bit of a problem with responsibility into a serial killing psychopath-but without the superficial charm, you're arguing with someone who desperately wants the black-and-white world of "We are good and they are not just bad but EVIL".

Back up a minute Patrick. A, Harry Mudd in his original incarnation was a slave trader who happened to be played for laughs because that was apparently thought to be funny in the 1960s. Slavers tend not to be good people.

B, I wouldn't think you of all people would be surprised at what people will try to do when they think there aren't any consequences for it. A time loop that he himself is in control of is the ultimate consequenceless environment, so he takes advantage of it and repeatedly murders the guy who left him for dead in Klingon custody to amuse himself (until he actually gets bored). While I'm at it, recall for a moment what Klingon custody was like in all previous incarnations of the franchise, and couple that with his aforementioned "problem with responsibility" to get "high-functioning narcissistic sociopath": he doesn't believe he bears any responsibility at all for what happened on the prison ship (despite, you know, spying on his cellmates for the guards and volunteering them to be beaten so he wouldn't be), it's all that Big Bad Lorca's fault.
    brian334 wrote: »
    Ahem, navigational deflector, anyone? Anyone? (Beuller?)

A. They weren't 'property', they were clients in "Mudd's Women". He was as much a slave trader as the guy running Match.com. His con in the episode was a substance that is like those "Pheremone perfumes" that were all the hype back in the nineties. check the dialogue in the episode "Mudd's women"-those were volunteers. Unethical as hell? yes. Trading in slaves, No.

B. the problem here is that Mudd from TOS and Mudd from Discovery don't match up. Disco mudd is WAY too hands-on. The typical path goes the other way-serial killers don't become 'not serial killers' or 'not killers' over time, they get WORSE, and without being captured they get arrogant ABOUT it. claiming alien psychology doesn't work here because Harry is HUMAN sociopath, and those types don't gain a conscience (which is how Kirk trapped him the first time). The personality evolution is BACKWARD from what happens in real life.

Perhaps the rehabilitation colony Mudd escaped from was partially successful at rehabilitating Harry.

"Nurse, give me a hypospray with 25ccs of Conscience."

"Yes, doctor."

"Ow! Nurse, I'm sorry I called your mother a bilious anhedoniac. Also, I'll pay you back for the lunch that time I said I didn't have my bank card. Now, refill the hypo and give the injection to the patient please."
  • Options
    In Mudd's case he DID display at lest some level of conscience in Discovery, it's just that he thought he could un-kill people so he didn't care if they died, and he REALLY wanted to see Lorca suffer.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I don't recall that and it clearly didn't make it onto screen, or if i did it only affected T'Kuvma and no other Klingons because, for the ones with lighter skin colours, it's obvious it's just ridging..​​

Look like nostrils to me....

Yes they do which is why people keep saying it. However it's obvious they're just ridges. They follow the 'cap' (for want of a better word) over the top of the nose over the top of the nostrils. It's the same cap as on the later TNG Klingons except without the ridges.

#TASforSTO