test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New season spells the end of non Discovery content?

ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
I am concerned that with this new season we have seen the last of unique content and any future seasons will just be Discovery based episodes. I fear that we will never have anything like the previous seasons of the game ever again. No more AOY, Gamma, Delta, etc. stories just Discovery episodes I really hope this is not the case. One of the things I like about STO is yes there are ties in episodes but the seasons are unique onto their own. I hope that this continues and it avoids just being another marketing tool for CBS's show.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    A. Cryptic already said there would be more 2410 stories

B. Even if they didn't, why would you think that?
    -After Legacy of Romulus did they only do Romulan stories?
    -After Delta Rising did they only do Voyager stories?
    -After Agents of Yesterday did they only do Original Series stories?
    -After Victory is Life did they only do DS9 stories?
    The answer to all of those is no, so why would after Age of Discovery they only do Discovery stories?
    I think he assumes Cryptic was forced to do AoD by CBS and that CBS wouldn't allow any non-DSC content anymore.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

The answer to all of those is no, so why would after Age of Discovery they only do Discovery stories?

It's just that I have a nagging feeling CBS is going to drop the hammer and stop any non Discovery era stuff from seeing the light of day. I hope they don't try and rewrite canon with Picard's upcoming show.
    spiritborn wrote: »

I think he assumes Cryptic was forced to do AoD by CBS and that CBS wouldn't allow any non-DSC content anymore.

More or less with CBS holding all the cards they can dictate whatever they want to whom it may concern with no regard for the history and fan base of the entire Trek universe. I just hope that I am wrong and they let STO do it's own thing without to much corporate meddling.
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    It's just that I have a nagging feeling CBS is going to drop the hammer and stop any non Discovery era stuff from seeing the light of day. I hope they don't try and rewrite canon with Picard's upcoming show.
    Why would CBS care? They make massive bank on all Trek merch.

Hell, long before AoD was even a thing Cryptic had talked about how CBS does little to actually tell them what they can or cant make.
    Would be ironic because it was Cryptic who went to CBS, and not CBS who went to Cryptic.

You never know what a corp[orate is going to do when they get their hands on a popular universe and have a hit on their hands. See Star Wars Solo as an example.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    During the six + years I’m aboard I found that Cryptic was very successful in giving all the different trek shows equal share of credit with their implementations. It is simply AoD now for some time until we move on. With the new Picard show on the horizon I think we look at a season or two worth of disco stuff before the focus will be set on TNG related themes.

All in all great times. I like trek as a whole and never felt that any particular part was neglected compared to its presence in TV/moovies. I don’t think Discovery should be an exception here.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I think the Disco content, apart from T'Kuvma's sister doing some havoc in the Klingon War Arc, and helping B'Vat (I THINK that's his name), will be like the Kelvin verse quest where we got a decent nugget full, or a 'snack' if you will.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

Hell, long before AoD was even a thing Cryptic had talked about how CBS does little to actually tell them what they can or cant make.
    Would be ironic because it was Cryptic who went to CBS, and not CBS who went to Cryptic.

You never know what a corp[orate is going to do when they get their hands on a popular universe and have a hit on their hands. See Star Wars Solo as an example.
    Sure the film was a bit of a mess but I didn't get the feel it was a "I try to activly ruin this franchice" case you imply, just a movie that didn't quite capture the feel the fans wanted.

That said I actually liked the Solo movie, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I think the Disco content, apart from T'Kuvma's sister doing some havoc in the Klingon War Arc, and helping B'Vat (I THINK that's his name), will be like the Kelvin verse quest where we got a decent nugget full, or a 'snack' if you will.

Is she in the other episodes?​​
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪

Sure the film was a bit of a mess but I didn't get the feel it was a "I try to activly ruin this franchice" case you imply, just a movie that didn't quite capture the feel the fans wanted.

That said I actually liked the Solo movie, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

I felt like Solo was fine. Not good. Not bad. Just fine. It felt... unnecessary more than anything. And it was certainly better than The Last Jedi, which is easily the worst of all the Star Wars films.​​
    And it was certainly better than The Last Jedi, which is easily the worst of all the Star Wars films.​​

And could very well be the reason why so many peeps decided not to watch the Solo film relased just a few months later.
    animated.gif
    edited October 2018
    And it was certainly better than The Last Jedi, which is easily the worst of all the Star Wars films.

And could very well be the reason why so many peeps decided not to watch the Solo film relased just a few months later.

It's why I didn't at first, I can't be alone. I was so, so disillusioned. Hell, I still am. I have since seen Solo, I think it's fine, but I would rather watch a marathon of the prequels than ever watch TLJ again. I had such high hopes too, because I really liked The Force Awakens, and I think the fact I was hyped about it made it all the worse.​​
    And it was certainly better than The Last Jedi, which is easily the worst of all the Star Wars films.

It's why I didn't at first, I can't be alone. I was so, so disillusioned. Hell, I still am. I have since seen Solo, I think it's fine, but I would rather watch a marathon of the prequels than ever watch TLJ again. I had such high hopes too, because I really liked The Force Awakens, and I think the fact I was hyped about it made it all the worse.​​

I agree. Same here.
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    More or less with CBS holding all the cards they can dictate whatever they want to whom it may concern with no regard for the history and fan base of the entire Trek universe. I just hope that I am wrong and they let STO do it's own thing without to much corporate meddling.

All of your fears are based on nothing but completely unsupported speculation. There is absolutely no reason at all to think that the game will be Discovery Only going forward, in fact history suggests the exact opposite.

I laugh every time someone posts and tells us what CBS wants or what they require.. it's funny because 100% of these posters are making thing up out of thin air. Like everyone else, you're taking a guess at what CBS wants.. and like everyone else, it's nothing but a theory. No one except Cryptic staff know anything about the deal with CBS and they never have.

The Last Jedi, which is easily the worst of all the Star Wars films.​​

I understand someone not liking The Last Jedi, but Attack of the Clones will always be the worst Star Wars movie. It has, not one single second of even halfway redeemable content. The Last Jedi might not be up to the overall standards of other Star Wars films, but Attack of the Clones is one of the worst movies ever made.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • excalibanexcaliban Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Isn't the real question: 'Why would anyone want to make TRIBBLE(iscovery) based content in the first place?'
    excaliban wrote: »
    Isn't the real question: 'Why would anyone want to make TRIBBLE(iscovery) based content in the first place?'

No. First of all, it's canon Star Trek and so of course they're gonna cover it. Second, some of us actually like it.

I think Episodes 1-2 are okay. I think 3-7 are awful. I think 8+ get progressively better. It starts getting better about the same time the first showrunner got kicked off, who knew.

Also a Star Trek show with a shaky first season? Unheard of! It's only every other series aside from TOS that has had a first season that is either awful or at least unremarkable or shaky in one way or another.

I know some people get bent out of shape about the visuals, but to me, the visuals aren't canon, they're just a "lens". The show looks like how TOS might have looked if they had a budget or the technology to really keep up with Gene's vision, which they did not (even Gene envisioned holographic panels and communications and such).​​
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Even if Cryptic is forced to create content based on new shows, there is still the new Picard series that is coming that Cryptic will make content for.
  • dariuskoronikovdariuskoronikov Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Yet oddly we will probably never get Enterprise Era missions, I know it would take a ton of retooling but imagine if you can start a toon who starts in enterprise era and has daniels pull him/her into disco era, origional series era then the current..just a thought
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

I agree. Same here.
    Well, you're entitled to your wrong opinion... :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Huh, someone's come up with a new flavor of DOOM thread. Congrats!
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    If you ask me it's far more likely to be Cryptic/PWE who wants to capitalize on the show's popularity to get some more players.
    No this isn't a Doom comment but an observation that Cryptic is a company like any other and of course they'd like to get more customers. I know a lot of people on this forum have an absolute irrational hate of Discovery but the fact remains that the show is popular and have brought new people to Star Trek. It is not inconceivable that some of them would like to play a Star Trek MMO, especially if it has content from their favorite series.

So will we see more Disco related content in the game even when the current season is at an end? I'm sure of it, at least if the show keeps it popularity and stays on the air.
    Will it be the only kind of content we get? I very much doubt it. This game is still nearly nine years old with a long standing player base who have their own favorite parts of Star Trek.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User

^^^
    Read what they've said:
    1) CBS didn't 'push' ST: D content on Cryptic; CRYPTIC wanted to do it and asked, and CBS said okay.

2) Cryptic plans to basically do AoD as a FULL EXPANSION (like ViL, AoY, etc. were) - BUT, the didn't want to work on it for a year bin the back and release it like they have previous expansions; so they're working on AoD and releasing AoD content as they feel it's ready.

So, yes, for the next few content drops, you're going to see more AoD content and ships (and >GASP< I know you don't want to acknowledge it, but ST: D is popular, and new, and has fans that are now getting into 'Star Trek' because of it; so, yes, it makes sense that a Star Trek themed MMO would 'strike while the iron is hot' and get ST: D content into the game.

The above said, ST: D isn't the only new Star Trek on the horizon, and the next show being produced by CBS is one focusing on Picard - and even though it's start in 10 years prior to 2409; you can be sure it too will add to Star Trek in that era, and Cryptic will of course want to use that as a springboard to get that content into the game as well. MIGHT it involve a retcon? Yep. But the Cryptic Devs did say the writing staff asked for and got a lot of info on what Cryptic has written/done for the era; and while they are not obliged to use it, they could refer to some of it if, etc.

As for 'canon' remember - NOTHING in STO is canon. Canon is what's on the screen in a licensed production (be it TV or film); and that's how it goes. That said, since the Picard show will be overseen by the same EP for ST: D - and they have worked with Cryptic (even giving them a character and background story they had (which is where J'ula comes from); I'd say they probably won't go out of their way to invalidate most of what's been done - but again, that's the risk you take when the IP holder starts new production.

Who knows, maybe a story thread or two from the new Picard show will be used to create a mission/storyline in STO.

Bottom line: With a resurgence of streamed/TV Star Trek again, they'll probably focus on doing tie ins to whatever they can. But again, with a new show set near STO's timeframe; I wouldn't say we'll never see any 2410 content again; like anything, they'll mix it up and coordinate to better promote BOTH their game; and the new Star Trek shows that are developed and released by CBS over the next few years.
    ^^^
    IMO - that's a good thing for the longevity of the game.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yet oddly we will probably never get Enterprise Era missions
    We already have. We even get to see NX-01 in it, from a distance of course so as not to corrupt the timeline.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    According to this interview, Alex Kurtzman wants to make a consistent Trekverse across TV, comics, and STO, which may be why the recent blog posting said that we might see some of the historical databases change due to temporal interference. (Also, it seems it was one of the DSC people who suggested using J'Ula, who comes from the Disco comic.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Even if Cryptic is forced to create content based on new shows, there is still the new Picard series that is coming that Cryptic will make content for.

Cryptic didn't get forced into doing Discovery. They wanted to put it into STO and went to CBS whom signed off on it.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yet oddly we will probably never get Enterprise Era missions
    We already have. We even get to see NX-01 in it, from a distance of course so as not to corrupt the timeline.

To expand on this, We actually got the Enterprise tie ins for the most part, besides the NX-01 in Vorgon Conclusions

1) Elachi were first seen on Enterprise.
    2) the Time Pod that they found on Enterprise, that was Kal Dano's timepod.
    3) Temporal Cold War arc was essentially something overarching throughout Enterprise.
    4) Spherebuilders came from Enterprise.
    5 Na'khul came from Enterprise.

The only thing that's really left that they haven't explored yet are those aliens from the early episodes that used other aliens for nutrients.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    According to this interview, Alex Kurtzman wants to make a consistent Trekverse across TV, comics, and STO, which may be why the recent blog posting said that we might see some of the historical databases change due to temporal interference. (Also, it seems it was one of the DSC people who suggested using J'Ula, who comes from the Disco comic.)

It's all the rage these days to unify universes... and I am not against it. It would be a joy to say "STO is canon" sometime in the future.​​
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I would say for the near future, yes. Overall no. My 2 credits.

Though some wild speculation and rumors that all is not well in Disco land and may face the chopping block. But that's just scuttlebutt. Don't know if real or not so take at that value.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
This discussion has been closed.