test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Big Red alert Nerf

Comments

• lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Surely the simplest way to boost underutilised queues is tohave an option to add npc allied ships?

It can be done....it happens in japori system patrol occasionally.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    do klingorcs have a cockney accent?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I got my competetive marks thru wint
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    [...] the one element TRIBBLE kept from the rest of Trek[...]

You might want to check out the trailer for season 2... look at the Klingons in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKf7pyxa1w

too busy rage vomiting on Spock with beard.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    cancel the Picard show! We need a proper klingon show. Cryptic won't touch klingons unless we get a full length TV series solely on klingons.

(Also we need a proper romulan show with Tom Hardy or Eric Bana whichever signs first.)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    cancel the Picard show! We need a proper klingon show. Cryptic won't touch klingons unless we get a full length TV series solely on klingons.

(Also we need a proper romulan show with Tom Hardy or Eric Bana whichever signs first.)

Well, we did just see a pair of KDF ships recently get released. As for "proper Klingon show," you'd have to decide what era to stick it in for starters. I wouldn't mind some actors being selected to play as a Klingon in such a series or movie. Such as the one who did Lurtz from The Fellowship of the Ring. Or Richard Armitage, or Manu Bennett. :D
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Well, I can say that I'm 99% satisfied with the new system. Good riddance to RA's. Thanks to the RTFO system, I just played 2 queues (both popped in seconds) that I haven't been able to queue up in over a year. And I got 200 to 300 marks for each run.

The next obvious step is to tweak the system so that ALL queues can be part of it. Also, cryptic may still consider re-adding RA's to the map but not the queue system to quell any left over doomsayers.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Well, I can say that I'm 99% satisfied with the new system. Good riddance to RA's. Thanks to the RTFO system, I just played 2 queues (both popped in seconds) that I haven't been able to queue up in over a year. And I got 200 to 300 marks for each run.

The next obvious step is to tweak the system so that ALL queues can be part of it. Also, cryptic may still consider re-adding RA's to the map but not the queue system to quell any left over doomsayers.
    That is the complete opposite to me. Due to the new system I have failed to play any of my standard queues. I have logged out the game completely disappointed having wasted a play session failing to get into Elite queues.

Many queues I used to play are now being played even less. The feature is doing the opposite to what its meant to do for me.
    edited October 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »

That is the complete opposite to me. Due to the new system I have failed to play any of my standard queues. I have logged out the game completely disappointed having wasted a play session failing to get into Elite queues.

Many queues I used to play are now being played even less. The feature is doing the opposite to what its meant to do for me.
    Elite queues aren't part of the RTFO. Lots of people are playing the new RTFO and are thus bypassing your preferred elite queues. I'd say you should give it a couple of days to see if there's any lasting effect. In the meantime, do elite the way you should. In a premade.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Well, I can say that I'm 99% satisfied with the new system. Good riddance to RA's. Thanks to Defense of Starbase 1, I can now *still* get all multi-choice packs I need. And it's not even on cd, LOL. Defense of Starbase 1 is the new RA.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And as I predicted, there are the Gamma Marks.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2018

Elite queues aren't part of the RTFO. Lots of people are playing the new RTFO and are thus bypassing your preferred elite queues. I'd say you should give it a couple of days to see if there's any lasting effect. In the meantime, do elite the way you should. In a premade.
    I have found joining premades next to impossible in my main playtime. Due to the timezone I live in my main play time is offpeak. The main way I got queues ran was by using the queue system but that is no longer an option :( Unless something is changed I will just be running less queues and logging in less.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Well, I can say that I'm 99% satisfied with the new system. Good riddance to RA's. Thanks to Defense of Starbase 1, I can now *still* get all multi-choice packs I need. And it's not even on cd, LOL. Defense of Starbase 1 is the new RA.

It's such a dull long queue though, that seems to take X amount of time (and lol, Cryptic, if you think we don't notice timegates if you just "forget" to add timer, then... you tried?) no matter how fast you kill the enemies. And enemies even on advanced seem to be normal-tier, which makes it even duller.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's such a dull long queue though, that seems to take X amount of time (and lol, Cryptic, if you think we don't notice timegates if you just "forget" to add timer, then... you tried?) no matter how fast you kill the enemies. And enemies even on advanced seem to be normal-tier, which makes it even duller.
    I like how it cares about your HPS. :p DPS is great, but it's not the only thing in MMOs. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    RA's are boring, much too easy stuff. It's good that people now will play the more interesting stuff.

If the queues were interesting, they wouldn't have to force us to play them.
    It's simple market economics - if the other content were superior, then folks would play it. Taking away other options to force them into other content seems a bit counterproductive. I agree that folks will more likely find other things to do than to do content they don't like.
    The whole problem is that the RA time/reward ratio was already so overblown that it didn't matter what they did with the queues no one would play them unless they made those other queues even more broken then RAs are, and that isn't fixing a problem, that's making it worse.
    Exactly. RA's are a cancer that destroys participation in the rest of the queues, save CCA and ISA. And even those are dwindling. RA's allow players to avoid putting in any real effort and allow single-player minded folks to avoid interacting with other people. Removing RA's from being available 24/7 could only be good for STO.

Only idiots think forcing players to play junk queues they didn't want anything to do with is a good idea. They don't suddenly love crappy queues that were tedious for TRIBBLE rewards. They stop playing.
    This thread is hilarious. Has anyone summoned DOOM yet?

Frankly, I don't quite see how the game looses anything with players who ONLY play Red Alerts. They are unlikely to buy stuff, to participate in anything that would increase the enjoyment of the game for anyone else (they are not even playing the RA's for enjoyment, but for rewards), and they apparently don't even have any grasp whatsoever about game balance, so not even their theoretical contributions in feedback are useful.

They, and we, don't just play them. They are the fun quick bash between doing other TRIBBLE. And that other TRIBBLE was storyline, the queses we ACTUALLY LIKE, and whatever else we felt like doing. And guess what, putchtiyuktuk. We also do spend money. But trying to force me to play queues that are TRIBBLE, which is why I don't, isn't going to make me play them. Or open my wallet more.
    This is a good change, it may bring life back to the queues again
    More likely to add to the killing of queues. Between the changes with Random STF and Red Alert a lot of people like myself that ran queues almost daily are just going to stop because we can no longer run the fun queues we want to run.

I sure as hell ain't wasting my time. I hate most of the queues, and I sure as hell ain't doing bughunt again.
    edited October 2018
    sleel43 wrote: »
    It's simple market economics - if the other content were superior, then folks would play it. Taking away other options to force them into other content seems a bit counterproductive. I agree that folks will more likely find other things to do than to do content they don't like.
    The whole problem is that the RA time/reward ratio was already so overblown that it didn't matter what they did with the queues no one would play them unless they made those other queues even more broken then RAs are, and that isn't fixing a problem, that's making it worse.
    Exactly. RA's are a cancer that destroys participation in the rest of the queues, save CCA and ISA. And even those are dwindling. RA's allow players to avoid putting in any real effort and allow single-player minded folks to avoid interacting with other people. Removing RA's from being available 24/7 could only be good for STO.

Only idiots think forcing players to play junk queues they didn't want anything to do with is a good idea. They don't suddenly love crappy queues that were tedious for **** rewards. They stop playing.
    Maybe some will quit but honestly if that is the thing that makes them quit then they won't be missed.
    More likely to add to the killing of queues. Between the changes with Random STF and Red Alert a lot of people like myself that ran queues almost daily are just going to stop because we can no longer run the fun queues we want to run.

I sure as hell ain't wasting my time. I hate most of the queues, and I sure as hell ain't doing bughunt again.

There's a fix for this. Pick the queue you want, others will join via random.
    edited October 2018

Only idiots think forcing players to play junk queues they didn't want anything to do with is a good idea. They don't suddenly love crappy queues that were tedious for **** rewards. They stop playing.
    Maybe some will quit but honestly if that is the thing that makes them quit then they won't be missed.

There's a fix for this. Pick the queue you want, others will join via random.

If only that was correct. That worked for me before random STF, now after random STF that no longer works in that player join in. I am struggling to get to play queues I want to play anymore.

I am still hating this change as it has ruined running queues for me. While is has made one batch of queues easier to run it has made another large batch much harder to run for no good reason. One small change and everyone could be better off but for some reason the devs are not listening :(

If only that was correct. That worked for me before random STF, now after random STF that no longer works in that player join in. I am struggling to get to play queues I want to play anymore.

I am still hating this change as it has ruined running queues for me. While is has made one batch of queues easier to run it has made another large batch much harder to run for no good reason. One small change and everyone could be better off but for some reason the devs are not listening :(
    I should have specified that it doesn't work with elite queues. Not that it should work with elite queues. I agree with another poster that the number of players listed was ultimately a self-defeating mechanic since nearly all queues (including elite) were dead anyway. You're probably suffering right now mostly due to the fact that if a player chooses a random queue, they're likely to get MORE dilithium and marks then they would if they just ran elite. Putting the numbers back won't fix that, because it will still show 0 and they won't pop at all.
    edited October 2018

I should have specified that it doesn't work with elite queues. Not that it should work with elite queues. I agree with another poster that the number of players listed was ultimately a self-defeating mechanic since nearly all queues (including elite) were dead anyway. You're probably suffering right now mostly due to the fact that if a player chooses a random queue, they're likely to get MORE dilithium and marks then they would if they just ran elite. Putting the numbers back won't fix that, because it will still show 0 and they won't pop at all.
    Its not just Elites but also the 6+ Normal and 6+ advanced queues and some of the others which are not part of random which are suffering. Putting the numbers back will make it far better because then we can see what other peoples are trying to play, go that looks fun and join. Which is better for everyone the people waiting and the people looking to play.

Elites where not dead before the change. The only reason they are dead now is the change in the UI means we can no longer see what each other are playing so we cannot choose to team up anymore. Which is just a terrible design for something that is meant to improve running queues.
    Its not just Elites but also the 6+ Normal and 6+ advanced queues and some of the others which are not part of random which are suffering.
    I suspect that the 10 and 20 players queues are out of the system because of some kind of programming/software issue that they didn't feel like dealing with. Unfortunate but I would like to see these queues work too. Most of them would be just fine at 5 members anyway and could be reworked into being 5 member queues.
    Putting the numbers back will make it far better because then we can see what other peoples are trying to play, go that looks fun and join. Which is better for everyone the people waiting and the people looking to play.
    I think it was warpangel who already demonstrated why this isn't true. Nearly all queues were dead. Part of the reason was likely the negative feedback loop of seeing 0 people playing and thus not joining.
    Elites where not dead before the change.
    Oh yes they were. 4 or MAYBE 5 popped out of 27 elite queues. That's the definition of dead.

edited October 2018
    Its not just Elites but also the 6+ Normal and 6+ advanced queues and some of the others which are not part of random which are suffering.
    I suspect that the 10 and 20 players queues are out of the system because of some kind of programming/software issue that they didn't feel like dealing with. Unfortunate but I would like to see these queues work too. Most of them would be just fine at 5 members anyway and could be reworked into being 5 member queues.
    Putting the numbers back will make it far better because then we can see what other peoples are trying to play, go that looks fun and join. Which is better for everyone the people waiting and the people looking to play.
    I think it was warpangel who already demonstrated why this isn't true. Nearly all queues were dead. Part of the reason was likely the negative feedback loop of seeing 0 people playing and thus not joining.
    Elites where not dead before the change.
    Oh yes they were. 4 or MAYBE 5 popped out of 27 elite queues. That's the definition of dead.
    Well I would say its higher but going with your numbers being able to play and choose out of 5+ queues is better then zero which we have now. (out of the ones we are talking about)

"Nearly all queues were dead. Part of the reason was likely the negative feedback loop of seeing 0 people playing and thus not joining."
    But isn't that what we have now? The queues show 0 people even if there are more then 0 people playing. So the devs have made the negative feedback loop worse which in turn is leading to even less of those queues being played. Hence my complaint that a feature that was meant to make it easier to queue has made many worse due to bad design.

If seeing 0 people playing is so bad why have the devs amplified that problem killing a bunch of once active queues.
    Well I would say its higher but going with your numbers being able to play and choose out of 5+ queues is better then zero which we have now. (out of the ones we are talking about)
    But isn't that what we have now? The queues show 0 people even if there are more then 0 people playing. So the devs have made the negative feedback loop worse which in turn is leading to even less of those queues being played. Hence my complaint that a feature that was meant to make it easier to queue has made many worse due to bad design.

If seeing 0 people playing is so bad why have the devs amplified that problem killing a bunch of once active queues.
    I'll refer you back to my other post.
    You're probably suffering right now mostly due to the fact that if a player chooses a random queue, they're likely to get MORE dilithium and marks then they would if they just ran elite. Putting the numbers back won't fix that, because it will still show 0 and they won't pop at all.

You get 1,440 dilithium, X marks and a salvaged tech for completing an elite queue. Phoenix packs and omega upgrades have nullified salvaged techs usefulness. A random advanced queue gives you a MINIMUM bonus of 700 dilithium on top of the 720 dilithium that advanced pays. At the highest possible payout, a random queue pays out an additional 3,500 dilithium and a bonus of 350 marks. If you just look at the presumed average of a "rare" bonus, you're still getting 1,050 bonus dil and 100 bonus marks. It's no surprise that nobody is queuing up elite since it's harder and now pays out less than a random advanced queue. I think that the counter (shown number of players in queue) has little to do with it TBH and like I said. even if they decided to bring it back, it would show ZERO because nobody would queue up elite since advanced has better rewards now. Hell even normal pays out almost the same (and possibly more) for WAAAAAYYYYYYY less effort.

Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033-introducing:-random-task-force-operations!

I'll refer you back to my other post.
    You're probably suffering right now mostly due to the fact that if a player chooses a random queue, they're likely to get MORE dilithium and marks then they would if they just ran elite. Putting the numbers back won't fix that, because it will still show 0 and they won't pop at all.

You get 1,440 dilithium, X marks and a salvaged tech for completing an elite queue. Phoenix packs and omega upgrades have nullified salvaged techs usefulness. A random advanced queue gives you a MINIMUM bonus of 700 dilithium on top of the 720 dilithium that advanced pays. At the highest possible payout, a random queue pays out an additional 3,500 dilithium and a bonus of 350 marks. If you just look at the presumed average of a "rare" bonus, you're still getting 1,050 bonus dil and 100 bonus marks. It's no surprise that nobody is queuing up elite since it's harder and now pays out less than a random advanced queue. I think that the counter (shown number of players in queue) has little to do with it TBH and like I said. even if they decided to bring it back, it would show ZERO because nobody would queue up elite since advanced has better rewards now. Hell even normal pays out almost the same (and possibly more) for WAAAAAYYYYYYY less effort.

Source: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033-introducing:-random-task-force-operations!
    But we don’t tend to play Elites for the mark/dill rewards as that have always offered worse payoff for time played. I have seen other who wants to play Elites but we cannot join each other as we cannot see what each other are queueing for.

If they bring it back it won’t be zero as the group of player that ran them can get back to playing the game instead of sitting here with nothing to play. I already have enough marks to reach everything in T6 and no one who knows the game well runs queues for dill. I cap my dill out in the first 5mins of logging in before I play queues.

Plus you are missing the long term impact this is going to have on salvaged tech and the prices of upgrades. Phoenix packs and omega only last a limited amount of time. My main time is taken up with crafting and I use 1000's of salvaged tech.
This discussion has been closed.