test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2409: Temporal Junction Point for the Space-Time Continuum?

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,352 Arc User
*Contains Spoilers*

Actually have to admit am mildly amused by AoD time-displacing our AoD specific characters to 2409. This means time displaced ‘Captains’ from 2256 (AoD) AND 2270 (AoY) are active in STO’s native timeframe.

And yes I know that the real life reason is that it means our characters have access to all the old content.

BUT from an in-game perspective, have we ever been given a reason as to why Daniels has to drop our 2256 (AoD) and 2270 (AoY) characters off in 2409/2410?

To be honest, with the above in mind I was reminded of dialogue from Doc Brown in BTTF:
Unbelievable, that he could have chosen that particular date. It could mean that that point in time inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance. Almost as if it were the temporal junction point for the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence.

And lest we forget, our ‘native’ 2409 characters are involved in future (28th century) events too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,097 Arc User
    Great Scott!!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,647 Arc User
    I think story wise whichever character you choose is the only temporal agent there. I don't think 2409 is full of temporal agents, just one.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think story wise whichever character you choose is the only temporal agent there. I don't think 2409 is full of temporal agents, just one.
    Storywise, whichever character you choose is the only Player Characer at all.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,352 Arc User

I know - that's not what I am getting at.

I know my 2256 char is the only time-displaced officer from that time period present in 2409.
    I know my 2270 char is the only time-displaced officer from that time period present in 2409

Again, the question is what is it IN-GAME significance of 2409 that our time displaced characters are dropped there specifically. Its something I hope they'll addresss, in in-game terms, someday.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,210 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Well the fictional events of almost 9 RL years of STO are all squeezed into the years 2409 and 2410 if I recall correctly. During that short timeframe we have seen so many traumatic, galaxy wide and future influential conflicts on multiple fronts that one can easily claim them to be the most eventful years in the entire fictional Star Trek universe.

Considering all the important decision making for the fate of the galaxy I could see some logic behind bringing great minds and characters from differnt points of history to exactly this point in time.

Nothing nearly as eventful has happened or will happen a decade or century earlier or later in Star Trek.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Bring it on
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    wishful thinking is not really a reliable source
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

I know - that's not what I am getting at.

I know my 2256 char is the only time-displaced officer from that time period present in 2409.
    I know my 2270 char is the only time-displaced officer from that time period present in 2409

Again, the question is what is it IN-GAME significance of 2409 that our time displaced characters are dropped there specifically. Its something I hope they'll addresss, in in-game terms, someday.
    That's when the story happens. What else is there to address?
    Well the fictional events of almost 9 RL years of STO are all squeezed into the years 2409 and 2410 if I recall correctly. During that short timeframe we have seen so many traumatic, galaxy wide and future influential conflicts on multiple fronts that one can easily claim them to be the most eventful years in the entire fictional Star Trek universe.

Considering all the important decision making for the fate of the galaxy I could see some logic behind bringing great minds and characters from differnt points of history to exactly this point in time.

Nothing nearly as eventful has happened or will happen a decade or century earlier or later in Star Trek.

Yeah, that's a good point - and perhaps the need for experienced (or capable) Captains following the Iconian War.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,210 Arc User
    edited October 2018

Yeah, that's a good point - and perhaps the need for experienced (or capable) Captains following the Iconian War.

Well yea exactly, some like.... you & me! :p
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Bring it on
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    wishful thinking is not really a reliable source
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,597 Arc User
    In 2409, your character is vital to preventing B'vat from altering the timeline so drastically that the Federation would collapse in the 2270s, as well as your role in bringing the Klingon War to a close without having to destroy either side. You're also important to ending the Iconian conflict, and to helping the Undine bioships understand how poorly they've been used by their smaller partners. All in all, it's really very important that you end up in 2409 once your "death" leaves you free for easy recruitment...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Storywise, whichever character you choose is the only Player Characer at all.

plus what left of your crew
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    It's all a Lord Nemesis plot...I mean, Q. It's because of Q. <glances around nervously>
    boldly-watched.png
  • kellmg96#5851 kellmg96 Member Posts: 773 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    It's all a Lord Nemesis plot...I mean, Q. It's because of Q. <glances around nervously>

Perhaps Daniel's is Q.
    Glory to you, and T6 Novas to your House, QAPLA'!
    bvpbRd1.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,533 Arc User
    edited October 2018

That is certainly true for the 2270 char, but not for the 2256 char. Daniels had to personally come and rescue the 2270 char, but a bunch of starships were blasted into the early 25th Century with that mycellial weapon. So there is a few hundred people from 2256 and I seriously doubt there was only one Starfleet ship that was caught in the blast radius. Captain Shran and Captain Durant were likely caught in the blast radius and might make an appearance in a future mission.
    jbmonroe wrote: »

Everything is a Lord Nemesis plot. It was Lord Nemesis that forced NCSoft to shut down City of Heroes, manipulated the Iconians to manipulate the Undine, turned Noye into the Envoy, and manipulated every single event in every single reality.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,005 Arc User
    City of Heroes 😢
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    starkaos wrote: »

That is certainly true for the 2270 char, but not for the 2256 char. Daniels had to personally come and rescue the 2270 char, but a bunch of starships were blasted into the early 25th Century with that mycellial weapon. So there is a few hundred people from 2256 and I seriously doubt there was only one Starfleet ship that was caught in the blast radius. Captain Shran and Captain Durant were likely caught in the blast radius and might make an appearance in a future mission.

Hm - I got the impression it was just 'us' - will have to replay that mission.