test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disco season 2 trailer. Fixed some stuffs. :D

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > i'm telling you...they saw a picture of the scimitar, mistook it for a klingon ship and suddenly, disco BoP​​

Which wouldn't be something new. We have "Klingon warbirds" only due to Braga's dumb (and acknowledged) mistake of "not knowing" which Trek race used warbirds. People just went with it, never once going "wait, that's not right" - even Stewart and Shatner immediately noticed the error in "The Captains" when one of them misnamed a ship.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    By the time Kirk took command of Enterprise, she had already had two other captains. April and Pike.
    Hell... Enterprise was apparently launched in 2245.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution_class
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I've seen both LotR and TH several times over and I can't find a single Orc, Goblin, or Urk with ridged foreheads.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I've seen both LotR and TH several times over and I can't find a single Orc, Goblin, or Urk with ridged foreheads.​​
    The comparison between orcs and TRIBBLE Klingons is not "forehead cosmetics". Both are short tempered, murderous thugs disinclined to show mercy or engage in civil discourse. They are both shallow, 2 dimensional antagonists who are the greatest "warriors" of their respective fictions, yet they die ineptly in large numbers to our heroes. They are only competent or threatening when our heroes are not around (or worse, the bad guys only "win" off-screen).

In Tokien's work, the orcs are actually competent, but they keep losing to "writer fiat". Lots of "last minute rescues" (Battle of Helm's Deep, Battle of Minas Tirith, the Final Battle at the Gates of Mordor, etc) cause the orcs to loose. The Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery are the opposite. Without the "writer fiat" of cloaking devices, they seem unable to tie their own shoes. They are content to murder each other until T'Kuvma tries to get them to murder someone else. Apparently, they cannot do that without a cloaking device. It also helps that cloaking technology absolutely cripples Starfleet's ability to defend itself. The Federation just rolls over and dies. Much writer fiat here.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    My mistake. I thought Discovery was set before the Constitution line was built. And no, I didn't see any of Discovery except the pilot. The D7 would indeed be either in service or coming on line if the Connies are.

But in that case, where are the D6s?
    brian334 wrote: »
    My mistake. I thought Discovery was set before the Constitution line was built. And no, I didn't see any of Discovery except the pilot. The D7 would indeed be either in service or coming on line if the Connies are.

We don't have a canon design for the D6.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Don't forget, even before Discovery, Klingons
    -Were sexist, and believed women weren't worthy of leading the Empire.
    -Were religious cannibals, and believed eating the heart of a fallen enemy was necessary to get into Sto-vo-kor.
    -Took prisoners, and enslaved entire worlds, to mine resources for them in places like Rura Penthe, or the Arin'Sen homeworld.
    -Used terrorist-like tactics such as using cloaking devices to annihilate enemy fleets unaware, and trigger solar flares to destroy enemy shipyards.

Klingons are and always were violent, bloody, unreasonable, war mongers.
    Klingons outside of the Discovery-era had actual diplomats. They engaged in diplomacy, even if they were bullies and conquerors. Klingons did not butcher entire colonies because the infants, the elderly, and the infirm did not "fight back". They were interested in conquest, not genocide. I doubt the "honor" of most Klingons (in any era), but the majority of them had a purpose beyond "murder everything that is not Klingon". They were not nice. They "made examples" of their slaves, but they were not the mindless killers that we see in TRIBBLE.

The first thing we learn about the Klingons in TRIBBLE is that they conducted "terror raids" as an excuse to murder their neighbors. If the Klingons showed up and declared "fight us, weaklings", then went home when the Federation said "uh, no", then fine. Then they would be warriors interested in "testing the strength of their neighbors". They would have some sort of system, some kind of "rules of conduct" that we could understand. Instead, they kill everyone that does not kill them first. From starship captains to babes in their cribs, the "terror raids" did not care. Everyone was fair game. They did not take prisoners. They did not conquer. They did not take resources or planets. They just left corpses. The only reason they stopped was because the Vulcans started killing them back. It's... stupid. What's even more stupid is that the Federation forgot all of this and decided that they did not need a "real" military, even though their immediate neighbors are butchering lunatics.

Klingons in most eras of Star Trek are savage, brutal and violent, but they have purpose and culture. The Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery are little better than animals chewing on furniture. All we see them do is lie and murder. That is all there is to these Klingons. It's why I would prefer they just stepped away from the Klingons entirely. Move on to something new. Penciling in some "after the fact" information is terrible story telling and will probably raise more questions than it answers.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    since when is using stealth against legitimate military targets terrorist actions? that's called 'being SMART by min-maxing your loss-kill ratio'

using a cloak to slip a bomb through military pickets to strike at civilian infrastructure would be terrorist actions, but cloaking against military targets is just pragmatism​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    brian334 wrote: »

Trekyards, Spacedock, and a handful of youtubers have covered this and these vids are fun or at least interesting to watch. The short version is the designers busted their butts and worked late to make a damn fine D6 design, but the execs in charge of Enterprise didn't like it because it didn't have clear windows. So instead of using the damn fine D6 that was designed for the show, they used the TNG K't'inga model they already had. Corporate is clearly a hotbed of the "Stupid" epidemic with acute cases of TL;DR.

The fan production "Prelude to Axanar" took and tweaked the unused D6 that was made for ENTERPRISE, to make their D6.
    Side note/honorable mention: FASA's D6 ain't bad either, and could easily be retconned into a subclass/variant model D6.

Last 2 cents on Corporate Idiocy: it is far worse in recent years, as demonstrated by the 2009's Enterprise made the Hangar too big for the 366-meter-long ship Ryan Church had designed, that instead of spending the money to fix the set, they decided to supersize the whole damn ship; and not fix any of the details on the ship. Not only LAZY & CHEAP, they couldn't even get their story straight as roughly a DOZEN DIFFERENT OFFICIAL SIZES were released throughout the year, alleging the ship to be anywhere from 500 to 1,500 meters long. The crown jewel of this comedy of errors was the so-called 'size chart' included on the 2009 Star Trek Blu-ray (which ships are shown at a different scale than the lengths listed):
    enterprise-comparison-bluray.jpg

And my corrected chart:
    4075798.jpg

Interestingly, 2009's Klingon Warbirds appear to be based on the D6 that was designed for ENTERPRISE. Though there is still no 'canon' D6...
    art2.jpg
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    366 meters makes so much more sense than bigger than a sovy.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    And is backed up by the majority of the onscreen evidence.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    366 meters makes so much more sense than bigger than a sovy.

Bridge module especially....that baby is HUGE if we're going double sized everything.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    The Klingons they showed us are incompetent, bestial, bunglers who aren't even funny, her colleagues are only 'smart' when it makes her look good, otherwise they're stupid as a box of (non ore bearing) rocks or a bag of (broken) hammers,
    They were incredibly stupid in pretty much everything... T'Kuvma's main character trait is that he was smarter than 90% of Klingons ever seen in any Star Trek work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    OOF! 2 and 3/4 hrs... hopefully I can get enough time at the library tomorrow to download it.
    ;)

I am looking forward to it! In the limited time I had at the library, I downloaded a few of the smaller vids and trailers, such as:

So, who here thinks it's Iconians?
    Post edited by sarvour0 on
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    nah, the point of the show was "Federation Marysue Burnham good, everyone else not only terrible but incompetent at being terrible".

Burnham is the protagonist, just like Picard and Kirk were of their respective shows.

Hell, Burnham's TRIBBLE-ups are what sets a lot of the plot into motion. She's not a Mary Sue in any way, shape or form.
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    So, who here thinks it's Iconians?

Oh god, I hope not. Canon aside, I hope the writers don't feel compelled to follow STO's nonsensical storyline.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    They may use the look but not follow the STO storyline. In last weeks stream it was mentioned that the writers of the Picard show asked Cryptic for everything they wrote on the era. So we could see the shows and the games crossing
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    khan5000 wrote: »
    They may use the look but not follow the STO storyline. In last weeks stream it was mentioned that the writers of the Picard show asked Cryptic for everything they wrote on the era. So we could see the shows and the games crossing

I wouldn't mind them picking some stuff from the Path to 2409. That stuff is awesome.

But hopefully the game story, and their depictions of races unseen in canon such as the Hur'q and the Tzenkethi, remain open to change on their end.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    A character F’ing up and setting up the plot isn’t a characteristic of a Mary Sue.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    So it's entirely possible that Discovery's birds-of-prey are a new class that replaced or supplemented the ones seen in Enterprise, and gradually got covered in Gothic junk as the Empire continued to decay.
    Actually, if anything, it would be a pre-decay design.
    Klingons are big into showing off. It could be like how real-world militaries used to have things like feathered hats as part of combat uniforms.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    It's canon that Klingons CAN and WILL keep ships in active service until destroyed in battle...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing