test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let us choose what beaming/warping effects our characters use.

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
I know that people have said its a game limitation, but anything can be overcome and I for one would be more then willing to pay for this feature as an unlock on a character.

Pretty much im faced with this problem ~

I have dumped hundreds of hours into my main Federation character, have easily over $1000 USD put into her. And as much as I want to lvl up a new AoD character, they will never be as good as my main. So I would simply like to use the Discovery effects such as beaming, warping, scanning, and anything else I missed. Even just beaming and warping would be fine and I would have no problem shelling out even up to $20 USD for that simple feature.

Let us players that have been here a while also be able to be part of the group. :/ Without having to go through ungodly grind again. Please? :3

Edit: And I know this is at least partially possible due to the April fools event that allows us to turn on the joke sounds of the devs and peeps making all the sounds of our ships and effects. :)
1e3sni150tar.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    They explained in the Stream last night, its not imposible, but the amount of work needed to change the transporter effects and warps, are quite big, and it could take a lot of time... that they can use for other things… but is not out of the table
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    They explained in the Stream last night, its not imposible, but the amount of work needed to change the transporter effects and warps, are quite big, and it could take a lot of time... that they can use for other things… but is not out of the table
    Which is to say, they'll only do it if they expect people would pay for it.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I would be satisfied with the ability to pack lockbox ships down into a "account bound" box to transfer to another character. I'd really love to have my Crossfield on my DSC toon. =/
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Similar for me, my main is an AoY character and I want to use the 25th century beaming animation on him
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    Personally I'd have thought it best tied to the ship... so a ship from TOS would have TOS beaming, DSC wiuld have DSC beaming and so on... then it might make more sense when using alien transporters (rom or kdf) to have their effect rather than fed, or vice versa.

The way it is now is as if every toon has a transporter in their tricorder (which also never changes), rather than in the ship.
    Having a "transporter" gear slot would be ideal, but having it tied to ship would be a decent second choice.

However, making them tied to the ship wouldn't allow Cryptic to monetize them, whereas with an item they could sell them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I'm kinda surprised that the Discovery lockbox ships don't use the same warp animations as the Discovery captains. I mean we have the Kelvin ships, that override the warp animations with those from Into Darkness.

But I guess technical issues have come up.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Easiest thing I could think of would be to allow for changing the character's starting field.

Basically it seems the warp in, beam in, etc. effects are linked to Fed, Klingon, Romulan, AoY, DSC, etc. rather than per character. So it is difficult to re-engineer that to make those effects linked per character instead.

But it shouldn't be an issue at all to simply change from Fed to DSC or to AoY. The effects would be all or nothing in this fashion however.
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    This should be an easy thing to do. Just unhook the dedicated animations and make it variable with all the animations in a specific list that the user can choose from. Kinda like how they let you change the UI colors.

Hard coding them is lazy, not difficult.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    > @artaniscreed said:
    > This should be an easy thing to do. Just unhook the dedicated animations and make it variable with all the animations in a specific list that the user can choose from. Kinda like how they let you change the UI colors.
    >
    > Hard coding them is lazy, not difficult.

I suspect it's embedded so deeply into the code (from when they assumed it would never change) that it would be difficult to decouple at the best of times. Since then, we've had so many changes of ownership and staff that there's probably nobody left with any clue how to change it. And that's IF they still have the source code for the module. And rewriting from scratch doesn't bring in the money.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    This should be an easy thing to do. Just unhook the dedicated animations and make it variable with all the animations in a specific list that the user can choose from. Kinda like how they let you change the UI colors.

Hard coding them is lazy, not difficult.

Yeah, given that it's attached to character type, you'd think that it's a basic 'flag' variable. Modern Fed/TOS Fed/AOD Fed/Rom/KDF/etc. And then you'd just have a drop-down menu on your character sheet, like for Title, to set the flag for that character.

But, apparently, that's not how it is. Hmm.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised that the Discovery lockbox ships don't use the same warp animations as the Discovery captains. I mean we have the Kelvin ships, that override the warp animations with those from Into Darkness.

But I guess technical issues have come up.
    More likely they intentionally didn't make those ships override the warp animation, because they knew they were going to make a disco origin and the warp animation would go there. The AoY ships don't override with the TOS warp effect, either. You only get that with TOS toons.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Which is to say, they'll only do it if they expect people would pay for it.

I'd for sure pay for this option.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I would be satisfied with the ability to pack lockbox ships down into a "account bound" box to transfer to another character. I'd really love to have my Crossfield on my DSC toon. =/

Yeah, it drives me crazy that my Crossfield has TNG warp and not the show warp...

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I'm kinda surprised that the Discovery lockbox ships don't use the same warp animations as the Discovery captains. I mean we have the Kelvin ships, that override the warp animations with those from Into Darkness.
    >
    > But I guess technical issues have come up.

My guess is that while the Disco ships (Walker Scaler and Malachowski) are directly from that era (either ported forward in time or found in Shipyard 39), the T6 Walker and Crossfield are essentially replica ships, using current tech shoved into older hull designs.

At least, that's my headcanon on it.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
This discussion has been closed.