test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Age of Discovery Launches October 9th

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018

I rather enjoyed the revamped start. Yes, it's a copy of the 25th Century Federation Start - but it actually works better in AoD. The mission rewards are very useful on the starter ship and can be upgraded. Ship weapons are buyable at the Academy and can be upgraded by the usual process. No way to purchase ground weapons at the moment - the Ground Vender is only selling ships based weapons. I'm assuming this is a bug and have reported it. The story arc, though short in the 2250's, works well and sets things up nicely for the jump to 2410. Noticed a lot of changes to the missions, in terms of dialogue and story. Enjoying it very much.

I really got into it the tutorial, attaching two more episodes were just what was needed to set character and perspective. IMO AoY start missions dragged on a bit for what was needed and ViL hardly setup the Jem'Hadar at all (in terms of character and personality, though there's not much to work from at the start.) Here though, I've got an alien character which I've gone nuts with the backstory for which has been well complimented by events so far and I'm looking forward to more (having an antagonist at large which mirrors the player is a very compelling story point.)

Journal changes: fantastic! I skipped past all but a couple Klingon War arc missions and jumped straight to the Romulan Arc and Nimbus (which best compliment my character's entry into 2409.) I think this will make replays a LOT more interesting, as we can tailor arcs to best suit what we have in mind for our characters (for record, I haven't even completed the ViL arc on my Jem'Hadar; after completing the expansion on a FED first it lacked texture and personal weight, felt like I was just opening up a linear grind. This may change that.)

Queue changes: I've been playing Romulan Minefield on my DSC character, no problems at all with wait times (seems like one that's eligible for Random TFO's.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Should have given the Klingon War arc a discovery theme. Let us chill in this era before we get dragged off into the 25c.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Don't need any 'camps', just spread rumor, that Tardigrade bones are ancient Earth China medicine for ahem… potency problem, or it can cure baldness… :D
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Don't need any 'camps', just spread rumor, that Tardigrade bones are ancient Earth China medicine for ahem… potency problem, or it can cure baldness… :D

So we can hunt them to extinction like the tiger? I'd rather have the lifeform (tiger or tardigrade). Bald men are hot, I'm married to one. And as for performance problems, their are actual products that work :p

People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Should have given the Klingon War arc a discovery theme. Let us chill in this era before we get dragged off into the 25c.
    I agree.

Also, it could have been a good opportunity to flesh out J'Ula. Like, as the war goes and you keep bumping into her ship and foiling her plans, she starts to develop a growing respect for you. Heck, she could become fascinated by how you keep meeting and fighting despite the vast conflict and become more affable, so the game can have something more than cartoonishly eeeeeeeevil villains who keep taunting you even as you keep kicking their butt.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Only made one toon so far, a Doctor. Only played through enough to have the Admiral make the Captaincy official and give 1st mission. Is it a BUG that the Tailor had no Lieutenant Rank insignia?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The tutorial was ok, even as a reskin the character swaps refreshed it enough so it didn't actually drag. I liked the Kirk references though the Finney ones were a bit confused since Finney tormented Kirk in the basic program before Kirk shipped out on the Republic, not his post-Republic return to the academy for command school before shipping out again on Farragut.

There are some bugs and annoyances though. I took a science officer, and at least for science the central console in engineering has the button bug were you have to jump around to get the button to appear and hit it very quickly while in the air. It is the same one that happens in a few other places in the regular stuff (the worst is the timeship in the tox uhtat stuff where the first console is bugged but not as bad as the transporter one where it can take several minutes of jumping around to transport the corpse). I have noticed that the bug seems to happen more with normal sized or smaller characters than the six foot plus ones the character creator defaults to. Since the pointer seems to be aware it is on an interactable device perhaps making rightclick, or shift-rightclick or something force the button to appear would be a good backup for when the bug bites.

The highly annoying "pew-pew" guns make the battles less enjoyable to play unfortunately, and I was looking forward to getting civilized weapons after the time jump but, at least yesterday anyway, a modern plasma array slotted in was masked entirely by the blue-white flashblip garbage. At the very least there needs to be a better way of seeing where the ship is targeting, in a confused chaotic battle the regular red frame gets lost and it is often unclear which ship one is firing on without beams or clearly visible cannon trails to point it out, and the muzzle flash effect the DSC ships have instead just does not cut it in that respect.

The boffs have rather bizarre traits for their species but that has probably been reported already.

The new journal seems ok, the old one was very clunky.

On the other hand the new Reputations tab "streamlining" on the character floater has the opposite effect. Sure, there are fewer buttons so it is less visually cluttered, but it is murkier when it comes to usable information and a player new to the system would have more of a problem with it than with the more complex older tab. The confusion in the reputation system has always been in how it relates to energies and builds and needs MORE information available, not less.

• siralexanderdanesiralexanderdane Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Just lost a reputation reward "[Inventory] Failed to collect rewards for "Delta Alliance Efforts (Daily)". Make sure that you have room in your inventory."

My inventory was half-empty and there is NO overflow bag on the icon either.Those cost rep marks which means time I put in, and since you removed the Red Alerts which gave good mark rewards that means I have to spend time hoping regular queues fill up. Not cool Cryptic,fix your "expansion"!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Do Starbase One. Marks Choice Boxes are awarded with Gamma Marks included.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    So it it correct that there's no recruitment like event to usher-in these 'Discovery' toons?

Also, is there no unique trait for the Discovery toons?

Lastly, is there anyone that has purchased the Discovery starter pack that can answer: Is the ship's unique 'Discovery' bridge unlocked for Fed toons on account or locked to only that ship that is only used from level 10-30ish?

Thank you in advance.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    So are we seriously only getting two story missions for this big hyped expansion?

It's not an expansion, it's a new season.

And to be honest, I think it's better this way. Being drip-fed new episodes means we anticipate the new ones more. ViL was great, but most of my friends had finished all of the new set of episodes that came with ViL within 48 hours - I daresay there were probably players who'd do so in 24 hours.
    Mine is already in the 20s and I'm not even power leveling. :p
    >Choose from a few Discovery era races

...Apparently this means just Humans and Vulcans along with the Alien builder.
    Fortunately the Discovery Alien builder is just as good as the main one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    Discovery is awful there's no two ways about that, but I've been a loyal devotee of STO for like 6 years now but this new expansion/season/storyline just does not live up to the quality I expect from this game. Shran and Daniels were the only redeemable factor in these missions. I know the worst offenders of ugly ships, ugly uniforms and that annoying ginger woman who desperately needs to die a very painful death aren't the devs' fault. But the original characters don't seem designed to compete (also please if you're going to have an English character hire someone that can actually do the accent, the VO for Kensington was so bad).

I'm sort of glad it was copy and paste from AOY and time jumped so I don't have to touch that character again. But it seems the curse of Discovery holds true, it'll be a detriment to the game and one I hope isn't too long lived so we can keep moving forward and find some new and exciting stories to tell.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @nrobbiec said:
    > Discovery is awful there's no two ways about that, but I've been a loyal devotee of STO for like 6 years now but this new expansion/season/storyline just does not live up to the quality I expect from this game. Shran and Daniels were the only redeemable factor in these missions. I know the worst offenders of ugly ships, ugly uniforms and that annoying ginger woman who desperately needs to die a very painful death aren't the devs' fault. But the original characters don't seem designed to compete (also please if you're going to have an English character hire someone that can actually do the accent, the VO for Kensington was so bad).
    >
    > I'm sort of glad it was copy and paste from AOY and time jumped so I don't have to touch that character again. But it seems the curse of Discovery holds true, it'll be a detriment to the game and one I hope isn't too long lived so we can keep moving forward and find some new and exciting stories to tell.

And the voice of Coraline Fletcher was the stereotypical American failing at doing a “British” accent
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User

And the voice of Coraline Fletcher was the stereotypical American failing at doing a “British” accent

I thought she was meant to be Australian, like that other Australian guy on the colony who looked and sounded exactly like the death-by-origin-story captain. I just assumed Corvan was Space Australia.
  • kourgath22kourgath22 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »

I thought she was meant to be Australian, like that other Australian guy on the colony who looked and sounded exactly like the death-by-origin-story captain. I just assumed Corvan was Space Australia.

Did someone say Space Australia?
    RcMelvY.jpg
    The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved. - Yang Wen-li
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Why doesn’t everyone just stop arguing and agree that Daylight Savings is a dumb idea

Wu1Ooju.jpg
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I agree.

Also, it could have been a good opportunity to flesh out J'Ula. Like, as the war goes and you keep bumping into her ship and foiling her plans, she starts to develop a growing respect for you. Heck, she could become fascinated by how you keep meeting and fighting despite the vast conflict and become more affable, so the game can have something more than cartoonishly eeeeeeeevil villains who keep taunting you even as you keep kicking their butt.

Maybe she was part of the Cabal of Klingons that the Nakul ran into, that we learn of in Klingon War.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I havent seen anything in game yet, is there a reward system with AoD,like with delta and AOY, with rewards and account rewards or is it just a few extra missions ans then same missions with different charcters?
    > @nrobbiec said:
    > Discovery is awful there's no two ways about that, but I've been a loyal devotee of STO for like 6 years now but this new expansion/season/storyline just does not live up to the quality I expect from this game. Shran and Daniels were the only redeemable factor in these missions. I know the worst offenders of ugly ships, ugly uniforms and that annoying ginger woman who desperately needs to die a very painful death aren't the devs' fault. But the original characters don't seem designed to compete (also please if you're going to have an English character hire someone that can actually do the accent, the VO for Kensington was so bad).
    >
    > I'm sort of glad it was copy and paste from AOY and time jumped so I don't have to touch that character again. But it seems the curse of Discovery holds true, it'll be a detriment to the game and one I hope isn't too long lived so we can keep moving forward and find some new and exciting stories to tell.

That was supposed to be a British Accent? Really? Sounded more Aussie than Brit - in fact I thought it was nice to hear an Australian themed character or two. It didn't sound "Brit" to me in any way shape or form. But I have the advantage of listening to what real Brits sound like, every day. I want Cryptic to add a BOFF with a Scouse Accent! That would be fun, and get rid of the notion all Brits sound like we have a bit of silverware up our bums.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • chelly#7549 chelly Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I enjoyed the Tutorial and yes I know it is a retool of the normal fed tutorial. I even asked in chat if the planet we were on was the one used in the normal tutorial. (it isn't) It did have enough of a difference that it isn't a big issue for me. Frankly I like the discovery tutorial better than the normal one. But I tend to be a more of a ground type player. I wish there was more episodes in the discovery timeline but the ones we had were good.

I really liked the look they did with the academy and the ship design with the discovery era ships.

I am disappointed that there isn't a event like the vil and the aoy was. But hopefully they will add more episodes and have J'Ula pop in more often. I was hoping she was a feature in some of the 2205-2209 episodes.
  • joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    As an Australian - I loved hearing some Australian accents in the game. Only if they used a bit of slang also. That would be awesome.
    joel1974 wrote: »
    As an Australian - I loved hearing some Australian accents in the game. Only if they used a bit of slang also. That would be awesome.
    Would have been lovely if Fletcher had said "sorry about almost hitting you in the face mate" - more in keeping me thinks.

• botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I'm very disappointed with this new season.
    They removed several missions (and yes, the Klingon War arc was too long, I admit that) and all you get is a new tutorial and two short, small missions, then you're dumped to the current era spacedock.

What exactly is my motivation to go and play these same storylines for a seventh time? There is zero incentive to do so.

The new missions are a joke, the Discovery era is even less integrated than the Jem Hadar captains are, no comparison with how it was with the first time travel characters, where you had new parts for all story arcs, making it really feel new.
    The new displays for Commendations and queues are worse to navigate than before.
    They make the game worse, not better.

I made a new toon, even spend the 750 Zen for the Starter pack (and apart from the ship, what a joke of a Starter pack that was) and now I can't make myself play ANY of my toons, because I'm so disappointed I don't even wanna see the game right now.

And let's not forget all the bugs.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Fletcher was a yobbo who just yabbered on about shonky things that ain't worth a zack. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    so they basically did TOS 2.0?
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @annemarie30 said:
    > so they basically did TOS 2.0?

AoY but without the unique tutorial and missions