test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Video Driver Prompt Message after Patch

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Dev's

I was prompted after the patch that i didn't have the latest driver and i should update or the game might not run properly till i do. No problem off to the nvidia website i went i have downloaded the following driver for my video card

http://www.nvidia.com/object/Quadro_win7_winvista_64bit_191.87_whql.html

For a Quadro FX 570.

Installation complete and device manager shows the current version as posted on Nvidia website in the device manager of the video card.

So i tried launching Star Trek online and selecting default settings when the message appears. Game launches fine with no problem and i can play just like i have always with no problems. Can you please look into this message as i have the latest drivers and i am compatible with no problems.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    That card seems to be a little on the low side spec. It'll work, but im thinking that message is a precautionary warning as it will still run, but in STO's opinion, barely.

It's better to err on the side of caution that to either let the game work and break the card, or refuse to run it at all, when it could run fine.
    edited February 2010
    The message is nothing to do with the card only the driver.

I am using a 275GTX card and I use the 195.62 driver,I have not updated to the newer driver as some of my applications do not support the new driver yet.

I run the game with my default settings(pretty much maxed out) and the game runs fine.

The message is basically telling you there is a newer driver available but I think the wording they use in the message is a bit over the top.
    edited February 2010
    Yes the card is older but it runs this mmo and all others i play just fine with no problem. as stated i have updated the driver to the latest release and still prompted for the message. If Cryptic wants to prompt me for hey you have old stuff and should update it that is different but don't tell the end user they need a new driver when they really don't
    edited February 2010
    I have a Geforce 8600M GT with the latest drivers that has run the game just perfectly fine on above default settings and I'm also getting this message after the patch. I'll try updating the drivers but it seems far more likely that this is a bug and from the looks of it unless it's fixed I'll have to readjust my settings ever time I start the game.
    edited February 2010
    hotcod wrote: »
    I have a Geforce 8600M GT with the latest drivers that has run the game just perfectly fine on above default settings and I'm also getting this message after the patch. I'll try updating the drivers but it seems far more likely that this is a bug and from the looks of it unless it's fixed I'll have to readjust my settings ever time I start the game.

There is an option on the warning at the bottom saying "remember my settings and launch the game for a month" or something along those line's,just tick that box and the message does not appear again.
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting it too, on X2 Nvidia 260M / SLI with the latest drivers....

Checking the box makes the fore-prompt go away (for a month I assume), but you still get in-game nags in the lower left of the character screen at least...

Not sure what they did that inspired this check... as obviously my cards are current market in about as good of configuration as you can get ...and drivers are as new as they get...

Maybe it's a PhysX thing they updated? Either way....I get the nags even though there is no problem...

and it annoys me =)
    edited February 2010
    I've got the same problem. I get the prompt, even though everything is up to date.
    edited February 2010
    Likewise, and my laptop runs the game nearly maxed out! It must be something they altered that changed the games opinion of my pc.
    edited February 2010
    Before the patch I got nothing - now I get the pop up - I went to nividia and, shock, my driver are up-to-date.

Which is unsurprising seeing as how I specifically updated them 1 month ago when this game came out!

how bloody stupid is that?
    edited February 2010
    I'm running into the same error, WIn Vista 64-bit with an 8800 GT using the latest drivers, I am fully up to date with the 196.21 drivers for my card and STO gives me the error as of today.
    edited February 2010
    I have an nVidia GTX 280... It can handle anything to date and I'm getting this message, too.

I mean, I don't mind being told that my drivers are out of date, but don't plaster it all over the place like I'm an idiot. At least take the Steam approach and say "hey, there are updated drivers that you might want to check out, if not, fine, and you won't see this message EVER AGAIN."

Plus, Steam doesn't force me to reset my graphics settings to low or default settings in order to even start the game. I absolutely loathe this sort of approach. "Because our software THINKS your computer is using old technology, we're going to force you to change your graphics settings, okay?"

Again, it's nice to be alerted to driver updates, but I know my computer's capabilities better than any software does, and even if my computer might have low specs (which, I might add, it definitely does NOT), I should still be able to do what I want as far as graphics settings. If I want to chug along at 10FPS because I think it's a good trade-off for pretty pictures, let me do it. Ugh...

A minor cosmetic annoyance, to be sure, but it's still uncalled for. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010

A minor cosmetic annoyance, to be sure, but it's still uncalled for. :rolleyes:

Its worse than that.

I wouldnt mind it IF it was right - but its not, its wrong - its telling you to update something which is already as up-to-date as possible.

Its worse than the post office:

Worker: You need to fill in the green form.

Me: Ive filled in the green form, here it is.

Worker: No, you need to fill in the green form.

Me: WTF :confused:

STO: You need to update your graphics card drivers with nvidia

Nvidia: Your graphics card driver is uptodate

STO: You need to update your graphics card drivers with nivida.

edited February 2010
    I too get this message on startup. I have a Dell Latitude D830 with a Quadro NVS 140 chip with the latest Dell approved driver. Definitely below spec but it's been running the game so far at minimum settings. Whatever this patch was, it improved my performance considerably in space and on the ground.
    edited February 2010
    I'm also getting this message; DELL Vostro 1500 w/ Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS; purchased about 2-3 years ago, and just updated with v195.62 drivers (latest from Nvidia web site) as of today. Probably a bug, and with the number of posts in this thread alone, I'm sure this will be taken care of fairly soon. It's a good idea to post your system specs if you're getting this message so the DEVs have some useful information to work from.
    edited February 2010
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    I'm getting this glitch again after the AoD update. Please fix this annoying glitch. Better yet remove this unnecessary code from the game.