test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Age of Discovery: First thoughts... (Possible Spoilers)

kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
Hello all.

Well, new Arc... it is good looking so far (I am in The Tipping Point) but same stupidness.
For one, STILL no Voicing for our Commanders.
Secondly, Federation only?

Now, OK, this is part one of some number, still.
Human, Vulcan or Alien.
That is the choice, nothing more, nothing less.
Really, Cryptic?

Sure, Discovery is in the Age of Federation vs Klingon.
I get that.
But why is there not the story from the Klingons out?
Their perspective of the whole?

True, I never was found of the Federation, still.
I really hope that part 2 will bring this in order.

As for story... I find it to be meager.
I hoped for a somewhat more variety.
The enemy is not dropping their weapons either, which is.. well... a wee saddening for me.

Then there's the ship's outfit.
Beam and torp in front, OK.
Beam in rear... what?
Either you beam the enemy, or you torp them, either wat one weapon becomes useless.
The logic eludes me here, but i would have put a turret there.

That is the next thing, btw, no access to either bank or exchange.
Thus... no access to a turret...
One will survive, but even with maximum weapon power the battles are a drag.

And for crying out loud... VOICE OUR CAPTAINS....
Thank you.

Thoughts?
Klingons don't get drunk.
They just get less sober.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    So, how do they voice the captain when you can be any gender, any appearance, and one of a number of species? What accent should they use, and what if they go with, say, a Received English accent but my captain hails from Canton?

Relax, and remember that this is early days for Starfleet yet. There aren't that many species in it (Spock was one of the first Vulcans to serve on a mixed-species crew; the Valiant was the Vulcan ship in the fleet in TOS). The only reason we get a choice at all is because there are several species aboard Discovery.

I did like the Rush easter egg in the tutorial, and am wondering who the fan is in the dev community.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I lost a massive amount of interest when I realized the new tutorial is just an unskippable reskin of the normal Fed tutorial. Some Mary Wiseman voiceovers don't change the fact that I've played all of that before, and forcing myself through that ridiculously long tutorial again before I can get to the new stuff is a real struggle.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    The new stuff is basically a rehash of the last Agents of Yesterday mission too. In terms of stories, this is a really disappointing start to AoD.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    let me give 2 positive and 2 negative points about aod

- only 2 races to choose
    - only 3 missions

+very nice graphics (lighting)
    +rly brigns in the discovery feeling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ktbu#5082 ktbu Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Havent played it all yet, but its really lazy of Cryptic to just reskin the 2409 tutorial... Like REALLY REALLY lazy... And not ot mention the game breaking bugs right now... Im not impressed at all.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If they voiced my captain it would mean I'd likely be forced to endure some low budget voice actor with an american accent, a lot of which are the audio equivalent of scraping your bits over broken glass coated in salt and vinegar.

Their attempt at scots was bad enough due to how often words were clipped, not something we do over here. I know it was the son of JD who did scotty's voice work but that doesn't mean he's any good at the accent.
  • kesselrunner#0768 kesselrunner Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Nice that they've upped their game with ship textures. That's about all I can say about it. Hope they give the same treatment to all of the ship models at some point, not just the new designs.

Plus, hooray for more time travel! Said no one... ever...
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    This is actually one of the things that depresses me about the future. When I was a kid, speech synthesis was a big idea. You saw games on very early computers, including the Commodore 64 do it.

All research into that seemed to have stopped when the cd-rom came out. Why figure out how to make a computer talk, when you could just record speech? Even talking assistants just use real voices with words strung together.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    My first thoughts is that the tutorial mission bugged out at the "Breach Engineering" step, and I haven't been able to get past it. Whee.

(and since it's a tutorial, not a mission accessed from your ship/sector, I can't beam out of the mission to reset progress)
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I don't want my captain to have a voice cuz then my captain isn't me anymore, it's whoever they paid to be my voice.
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    like tor voice acting and other games. but i dont think it fit in sto.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    My first thoughts is that the tutorial mission bugged out at the "Breach Engineering" step, and I haven't been able to get past it. Whee.

(and since it's a tutorial, not a mission accessed from your ship/sector, I can't beam out of the mission to reset progress)
    I am so sorry to hear that.
    Sadly, in the Tut i cannot help you, as i am past that, and all character slots are taken... :(

Another fun bug is Exchange.
    No prices.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I am not very happy with the new mission I don't like the idea of doing this temporal stuff again should have just made discovery era missions so we could just stay there
    stupid question i just got of the tutorial. so after the task force we ju,p the 25th century?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    philchap wrote: »
    stupid question i just got of the tutorial. so after the task force we ju,p the 25th century?
    After J'Ula deploys her weapon against Starbase One.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • justleroyjustleroy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I'm very disappointed in the Discovery content. I'm not a ST:D fan, but they're not even phoning it in anymore.
    - Only a fool fights in a burning house.
    justleroy wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed in the Discovery content. I'm not a ST:D fan, but they're not even phoning it in anymore.

you know i was going i am happy with but talking to a friend im not happy it aoy reskin job. i think had good idea getting boffs involved. just not happy
  • michael#8928 michael Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Love it! Can't wait for the next part of the story and the obvious new things to come as the story unfolds! Great way to start to the fall. :)
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Although there are issues with TRIBBLE, I've enjoyed the show. It doesn't bother me. This update however was just meh. The things that I wanted out of the update are locked to character. I mean, my science vanguard deserves the new warp visual and sounds. I actually like the new UI and sounds. Although the color scheme is available, the sounds are once again locked to character. If its about the money, then just let me pay to get the dang visuals and audio I want, but this whole locking stuff to character specific is just dumb. We are at the point in the game where all the different eras blend together anyways, so why keep locking stuff to character?

As for the actual update today, a couple of episodes is ok. Forcing me to play a tutorial is not okay, especially when its just a re-skin essentially. I feel like this update leaves much to be desired. Not enough new content and way too many bugs. I did like having Tilly's voice.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    A Holodeck in the new tutorial? There were no holodecks until TNG.
    Force fields in shuttle bays? Not until TNG.
    Kirk used both of those.
    What the heck happened to Shran? We KNOW what he looks like. We've SEEN him before... THAT EXACT CHARACTER.
    HAH! Silly pinkskin! You're thinking of Thy'lek Sharan.
    latest?cb=20120403024913&path-prefix=en
    This is Thy'KIR Shran.
    Thy%27kir_Shran.png?version=c3ca7b1093f62ce1145ed07e4689172f
    Thy'lek Shran was his grandfather. Part of why he looks so different is that one of his grandmothers was an Aenar.
    latest?cb=20060305100408&path-prefix=en
    His mother was an Aenar/Andorian hybrid.
    latest?cb=20081026052527&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Copy and pasting the tutorial was ok up to a point, but the captain has the exact same fate in both tutorials. That is pathetically lazy and completely undermines the dramatic effect of both now. Devs just can't help messing with the original Federation tutorial.
  • gube8gube8 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    In the cutcean wher ther is a breatch in the hull of your ship the starfleet officer you reatxh out to try to save has a discovery tactical vest is tht a confirmation that il wil be in the game ?
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The maps, ship textures, and voice acting (Tilly especially) are great. But I can't say I'm impressed with the new tutorial. They didn't even bother to change the idle dialogue after boarding the starter ship, such as the cold fusion joke (which was a reference to Star Trek Into Darkness).

I haven't gotten to the rest yet, so I'll reserve judgement until it's done, but my initial impression isn't very good. I really expected better.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
This discussion has been closed.