test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    After further examination of the problem I experimented with the idea that they pulled a fast one like they are good for. It was discovered that if you delete the pet every time you reclaim the box, you can now reclaim the weapons as many times as you damn well please :), Then keep the pet after your done collecting ALL the guns you want.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I got out of stuff marked Tutorial and made it to the Corodan Mission but could still not buy the Pack. I bought it on another Federation Character and the Pack has everything in it but it is Bound to the Character. I can only hope that the XP is a Token and the Inventory Slots are a claim once from the C-Store item.

Especially since the C-Store description of the Bundle says specifically that you can't use the ship until you reach Level 10.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Someone mentioned 'explicitly clear' earlier on. So what about the sentence in the Starter Pack post saying, regarding the ship: 'Available for use as soon as it can be purchased – as early as leaving the Tutorial'. Well I've done the tutorial (enjoyed the revamp and DSC ambience, nice job!) and purchased the pack. I'm now ready to start the second AoD mission but I can't figure out how to actually find and use the Walker-class. It's not available from the 'Acquire ships' contact, nor from the 'Manage ships' contact, and it isn't a crate in my inventory. A couple of folks have intimated it might not be available till after you've completed the AoD episodes - but how is that 'Available for use as soon as it can be purchased – as early as leaving the Tutorial'. And if this is a Discovery-themed ship, what's the point of making it unavailable for the actual Discovery episodes? Is this a bug, or just an inaccurate blog post, anybody know? Thanks.

EDIT: With some help from Zone chat, I've figured it out. You can't claim the ship from 'Acquire ships' (go figure!), but once you have bought the pack you can return to the C-Store and claim the ship from the ship list there. Very counter-intuitive but worked. Hope that helps anyone else struggling with that
    Post edited by robertdamon on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    You must be Level 10 to claim the ship. It says so in the C-Store description. You claim it from the C-Store under the Ships Tab. I think they were putting up a new Category for Multi Level (Leveling) Ships.

As far as Blog Posts, they are not known to be clear and unambiguous.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • horstpfickhorstpfick Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    This introductory special pricing will expire soon, after which the pack will return to its normal price of 1500 Zen. Even at this price point, the pack’s contents are valued at more than twice that!
    One question: what does "soon" mean? Is it gone tomorrow, or in a week or two? Thanks for any hints...
  • robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    You must be Level 10 to claim the ship. It says so in the C-Store description. You claim it from the C-Store under the Ships Tab. I think they were putting up a new Category for Multi Level (Leveling) Ships.

Turns out the blog post was actually right after all, you CAN claim the ship earlier than level 10, but it's a rather counter-intuitive way of doing it. Just to clarify if anyone else ran into the same conundrum:

1. Finish the tutorial.
    2. Buy the pack from the C-Store.
    3. Then return to the C-Store and claim the ship from the 'Ships' section of the C-Store (as you say).

Bizarre that the ship isn't automatically awarded when you buy the pack itself, but it is indeed claimable before level 10 (I'm flying it at level 3 ahead of the second AoD mission). Had to ask in zone chat to realise how to do it though.

• alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Umm... I'm using the Walker from the pack now. I claimed it as soon as I finished the tutorial, at level 3 and have been using it since.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Shame the bridge isn't the Shenzhou. You keep the generic one of the first ship. No Captain's ready room either.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    In a sad way I am glad that I was not the only one, File this under "thing we can teach better" Yeah, instead of saying “your character cannot use this item”. Tell people why in game, not on some blog post. Hell I saw it in a blog post and I still did it. Having a better message like Your character need to be level 10 to purchase this item, would be a little less Cryptic
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Anyone has idea if the scalable Walker ship weapons being not-upgradeable is bug or feature.
    The beam arrays are somewhat special - description states they boost shield restoration and capacity.
    So I would like to keep them on my Discovery toon at least...
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

Well, it's pretty easy and cheap to craft these yourself. I have sets crafted for each level as my alts advance, space and ground, and keep them in my account bank. They use the sets as they level and them switch them out as needed finally getting enough experience to use my account Aegis set I made with my Temporal Alt ages ago. Easy peasy.

That’s what I’ve done... crafted a full set of VR gear at each level, and just trade it between toons, as it’s all account bound. I have a Ferengi toon who keeps it all, nice and organized in her bank. As this ship has extra slots, I will probably spend some time on Monday crafting a few more pieces... it takes a whopping 2 hours I think to craft mk ii VR items... I can get them all started at the same time and collect a few hours later...

For anyone with multiple toons, especially not completely leveled-up, & possibly more toons in the future what an awesome idea.

Very disappointing that this Discovery toon has nothing unique to it: no special trait, no recruitment event or item, just a title & cosmetics I think & guess that was good enough for Cryptic.

I'm also second guessing about whether I should purchase this starter pack now. I could see novelty goodness if a brand new player, but as a seasoned player I don't think it offers anything substantial beyond gimmicky. If the tardigrade had been a combat-pet that would've made it another story.

Also, if the Discovery starter pack is purchased does that unlock the Discovery bridge for Fed toons on the account? Otherwise I would only have access to that Discovery bridge for my level 10-30 ship which isn't really helpful nor useful long-term.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    tomilak wrote: »
    After further examination of the problem I experimented with the idea that they pulled a fast one like they are good for. It was discovered that if you delete the pet every time you reclaim the box, you can now reclaim the weapons as many times as you damn well please :), Then keep the pet after your done collecting ALL the guns you want.

How do you "reclaim the box?"

NM
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    That poor starting Discovery ship...

"So, you have a choice: DSC Miranda with 2-1 weapon slots and tier 1 console slots and no unique console... or "scaling" Walker with 4-3 weapon slots, 7 console slots and a unique console from the start to use until level 30, with a giant tardigrade buddy as a bonus."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if someone bothers to pay for it...the ones who don't are pretty much screwed, though - that walker is a MASSIVE advantage over the macho-sky or whatever it's called​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Shame the bridge isn't the Shenzhou. You keep the generic one of the first ship. No Captain's ready room either.​​

Actually I think it is the Shenzhou bridge (as she was a Walker Class ship). It technically HAS the door to the ready room - they just didn't have it able to open since they didn't make the Captain's ready room for that Bridge map. You can walk into the turbo lift only because they used it in the tutorial.

Still I agree with you that it's sad they didn't do the Ready Room - nor allow us access to at least the Engineering Deck and Room they made for the tutorial. (Or if we were supposed to be able to, there's no selection to do so in the Walker Bridge Turbolift.
    ^^^
    I mention that because in the ship tailor, the Bridge reads 'Walker' and the Interior also reads 'Walker' - but so far we just get the Bridge.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Hour later the Discovery stuff is all done, yea dropped that toon now no point.
    But glad the Ques seem active now!!!
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @saber1973a said:
    > Anyone has idea if the scalable Walker ship weapons being not-upgradeable is bug or feature.
    > The beam arrays are somewhat special - description states they boost shield restoration and capacity.
    > So I would like to keep them on my Discovery toon at least...

"Stock" gear on c-store ships, is never upgradable.

Maybe, but this ship is meant to be scalable - it is planned to be used up to level 39.
    And the Beam Arrays are not standard - their description is "Emiter-Linked Phaser Beam Array" with +5 bonus to shield restoration and capacity (and it may stack), but without the 2.5% chance for subsystem offline of normal Phasers.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Anyone has idea if the scalable Walker ship weapons being not-upgradeable is bug or feature.
    The beam arrays are somewhat special - description states they boost shield restoration and capacity.
    So I would like to keep them on my Discovery toon at least...
    They're invisibly 00-mark so maybe wait until level 50. Also they're probably flagged as starter gear and thus non-upgradable.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Actually the beams from starter ship are upgradeable - I think.
    But I just hit level 10 and it's looks like the beams from Walker doing more damage, so they should be scalable… great.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    I am planning on getting the pack as soon as I get paid. I still had alts make some Mk II & IV gear, so I can have an interesting mix. I am liking the DSC beams appearance as bluish-purple/purplish-blue pulse phasers. Is this coloring correct or something with my screen?
    Either way I am liking the new content so far.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
    Yeah, I see it now…
    Still, until the devs put some more content, for now, to me, this ship is the best part STO Discovery add-on B)
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    I'm rather enjoying the Discovery Starter Pack.

Having a scalable ship is nice - keeping the same ship around rather than chopping and changing every few missions is a pain. Weapons I needed for the ship I picked up from the Venders in AoD, and the ship is upgrading and working well. Yes, I manually upgrade the phasers, torps and other ship gear with each rank - but you'd do that anyways. It's having a SHIP that scales with your rank that's amazing. You can't use Bridge Stations, or BOFF levels until you reach the right rank to use them. Keeping the same ship up until lvl 40 makes sense. As experiments go, I think this is massive success for Cryptic, and I hope they do others in the future.

In terms of the scaling ground gear you get with the pack - that's not a new thing, as the TOS and DS9 bundles both have scaling weapons. The only thing I would change, is that once the pack is first claimed, the Tardigrade Pet is moved to another section so you grab that separately afterwards (or you just get it the once, and then never again) to make grabbing the number of weapons you want easier.

Massive thanks to Cryptic on this, I think this is a big hit :)
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

I have a toon flying one at lvl 8 (and has been since completing the tutorial), so the description is wrong.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @saber1973a said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @saber1973a said:
    > > Anyone has idea if the scalable Walker ship weapons being not-upgradeable is bug or feature.
    > > The beam arrays are somewhat special - description states they boost shield restoration and capacity.
    > > So I would like to keep them on my Discovery toon at least...
    >
    > "Stock" gear on c-store ships, is never upgradable.
    >
    > Maybe, but this ship is meant to be scalable - it is planned to be used up to level 39.
    > And the Beam Arrays are not standard - their description is "Emiter-Linked Phaser Beam Array" with +5 bonus to shield restoration and capacity (and it may stack), but without the 2.5% chance for subsystem offline of normal Phasers.

Common quality? No mk listed? Those are stock weapons for that ship, they may scale with level like a shuttle's stock omni beam, but they aren't upgradable.
    Also the scaling algorithm is common quality, so a real weapon of your level is better.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    If something could be improved on the ship, I think by making the weapons scaleable, and by having the consoles match the tier of ship you should be in, for example tier 1 should have the console layout of a tier 1 ship, tier 2 should be of tier 2 and so on. Just having a 3,2,2 layout when you reach tier 4 is almost underpowered for the tier. Otherwise it's a nice ship and I hope that the Devs see their mistake by Romulan and KDF versions as well.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Oddly enough, I can already use Lt. Tier Bridge Officer Powers despite my BOs still being Ensigns.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    mrtovey wrote: »
    i wish i could play... the damn launcher keeps crashing on patch

Mine does too, ever since the "unscheduled maintenance" on the morning of the 11th. Whatever they did I wish they would fix it soon so I can get back in before the starter pack goes off sale.