test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It is now more difficult to find, join and play many queues, not easier

pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
With the removal of estimated start time and how many people are queued up it is now much harder to play queues which do not draw from random. Yes I am aware those where never 100% accurate but I relayed on them to pick which queues to run. Especially for those of us that play any Elite or normal/advanced queues made up for 6+ captains. For those queues it is now impossible to see which are active and to choose to join in with them.

For example when people are queued up for Bug Hunt Elite or Dranuur Beach Assault I can no longer see that and join in. Which means less queues being played and more time wasted trying to get into queues due to them failing to start.

This change has all but killed the queue system for me as I have been unable to get into a single queue of my choice since this expansion. I used to be able to see what was active, pick a queue and drop right in. Now that doesn’t work and just like I feared from the Tribble testing I am sitting here wasting time picking queues and not getting them to start.

In short due to the changes I can no longer quickly play the queues I enjoy playing. The devs have just made it more difficult to find and join many queues, not easier. Unless this is changed I will be running less queues not more.

EDIT: Another way to look at is we used to be able to play sparsely played queues by being able to play them when other people are interested. Now when other people are interested and they are not part of random we cannot join in and so those sparsely played queues get played even less. The very opposite to what this feature is designed to do.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    It really looks as if Cryptic is playing a game in their HQ: "the players think the situation with queues is bad? Let's see how they react after we release this next abomination!"

I'm completely stunned - this new season/expansion/update/whatever was their perfect opportunity to bring new life into the game, but they completely blew their chances. The devs have been offered advice how to actually fix the queue problems so many times, approaching from so different angles. Yet, they decide (as always) that they are smarter than their players and make the already horrible situation even worse.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'm going to have top agree with both my fellow players above here, this UI revamp has actually made it even worse.

I used to log in and see if my favourite queues were likely to pop, as i could see how many people were waiting in each one and join up. Or i could see if i could drum up support for a queue if it was only a couple of guys in it to start.
    Now though i cannot see any info about who is playing what at all, which means i can't tell if it'll be 10 seconds or an hours until a queue pops for me. The result.....I just can't be bothered queuing anymore.

The random TFO's are likely to pop more often assuming people play them but I like to pick my favorite content because i enjoy it. I don't care for rewards, the mission itself is my main draw. But now i can no longer enjoy this aspect of the game.

I really do not see why you needed to remove the "Queued" column from the UI. If you are afraid it gives the wrong impression to players, showing how dead the queues are then might i suggest something? DO SOMETHING TO GET PEOPLE PLAYING THEM!
    Not just a "random" button, that is a really half arsed fix guys. Actually fix the queues and look at why people don't run them,
    I created a poll here that shows a good few reasons why people don't like the queues. @tunebreaker created a massive thread that has hundreds of replies discussing ideas to fix the queues.
    For the love of Spock's beard will you just listen to the players for once before you drive the game over the cliff it's racing towards.

Right now, I think this shows what it looks like you're doing:

ibiSjYQ.png
    SulMatuul.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Well, I just did my first DRSA pug in YEARS thanks to the new system and it popped in about 2 seconds. So I don't know what the OP is talking about.

PSA: You can choose random queue or (in my case more preferably) you can choose the queue you want. If that queue qualifies for RTFO system, randoms will autofill with you. In my case, as I said, I chose DRSA. It popped in literally 2 seconds. That has never happened ever. So I'm quite liking this system already.

EDIT: Since there ARE queues that don't qualify for the random system, the obvious next step is for the devs to change those queues so that they will work smoothly with the new random system.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    “-Getting rid of the queued column hides player counts, and makes people more likely to queue for things now that they don't feel like queuing for something is pointless since no one else is queued either.”
    It’s the opposite. In the sparsely played queues I used to be able to see when they were active and join in. Now I can no longer see when those sparsely played queues have people in, so I cannot join in. This leads to those sparsely played queues being played even less. The very opposite to what the changes are meant to do. Many Elite queues are now extremely difficult to play much harder than before the expansion. The change has cause more wasted time queueing for empty queues and less Elite queues being played.

“-Getting rid of the RAs, which vastly over-rewarded marks for how little time they took, means people will actually have to play queues now to get marks.”
    The only change I spotted from that was a reduction in people playing queues. Again the opposite to what was intended.

“Every single change they have made is a basic, and proven, method got getting people more involved.”
    No it’s not as its causing a large amount of queues to be played less. many queues that used to be sparsely played are now all but dead as players cannot see and join in. Many players like myself are finding ourselves playing less queues not by choice but because we cannot get into the queues we used to play.

“So I don't know what the OP is talking about.”
    Try and pick an Elite queue or a queue that requires 6+ people. Those queues are now often much harder to play. This change has all but killed running Elite queues for me.
    Just did my first random. I chose advanced just to see what would happen. We finished Miner Instabilities Advanced and even though my team mates were complete failures I still got 200 marks with the daily bonus plus 84 choice marks. Pretty good run.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited October 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Try and pick an Elite queue or a queue that requires 6+ people. Those queues are now often much harder to play. This change has all but killed running Elite queues for me.
    Elites should always be done in a premade if you can't handle the possibility of failure. Nothing has changed on that note between yesterday and today. I'll try some 10 people queues but I suspect that like some others, they do not qualify for the random system. Sadly, my favorite queue colony invasion doesn't qualify. Hopefully they'll make adjustments in the future so that ALL queues qualify.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I haven't tried the new queue system yet, but I've been hearing nothing but good things from people in my fleet who are doing the Random TFO's. They're pretty typical STO players too.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
    Elites should always be done in a premade if you can't handle the possibility of failure. Nothing has changed on that note between yesterday and today. I'll try some 10 people queues but I suspect that like some others, they do not qualify for the random system. Sadly, my favorite queue colony invasion doesn't qualify. Hopefully they'll make adjustments in the future so that ALL queues qualify.
    Its not about failing, its about not being able to even start the queues anymore that I would normally be able to play without waiting. This change has killed running Elite queues for me and will only cause me to play less queues long term.
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Due to one of the new TFO storyline quests that they inserted I started it and it queued instantly. Don't see the problem other than the OP wanting to not sit in a queue by himself....just like everyone else won't. So queues don't start and never will.

I've spent more time with my main toon looking at the queue screen than playing any content.

ANY change is better than what we had. How people can whine about not being able to run the same red alerts over and over and over and over again.....it's insanity.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Its not about failing, its about not being able to even start the queues anymore that I would normally be able to play without waiting. This change has killed running Elite queues for me and will only cause me to play less queues long term.

The trick is - everyone that queues up for the randoms is someone that is implicitly also queued up for your favorite Queue.

If you're the only one thats want to play the Herald Sphere - it doesn't matter how many specifically queued up for that, because there are 9 people in the random TFO, and 4 of them will be send to fill up your queue.

At least that's the idea.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

The trick is - everyone that queues up for the randoms is someone that is implicitly also queued up for your favorite Queue.

If you're the only one thats want to play the Herald Sphere - it doesn't matter how many specifically queued up for that, because there are 9 people in the random TFO, and 4 of them will be send to fill up your queue.

At least that's the idea.
    He's only queueing up elites which are not part of the random system so all those players won't join his chosen queue. Perhaps cryptic will add elite to the random system at some point. Otherwise, stick to premades which is the correct way to run elites anyway.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    > @mirrorterran said:
    >
    > ANY change is better than what we had. How people can whine about not being able to run the same red alerts over and over and over and over again.....it's insanity.

He is talking about Elites. And queues with larger numbers of players needed. That is the stuff he likes.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I'll have to beg to differ, my experience tonight have been completely opposite yours. Queues that I haven't been able to get to pop in years unless I had a premade team are now popping, taught a pug how to do Khitomer ground. A TRIBBLE, old time was had by all.
    All of the queues popped fairly quickly so I have no complaint here. For tonight at least I'm glad of the new random system.

That said, I do miss the queue times and number queued, though I can see how that might be technically difficult to display with a random function involved.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    edited October 2018
    ANY change is better than what we had. How people can whine about not being able to run the same red alerts over and over and over and over again.....it's insanity.
    I disagree and I am not talking about red alerts being played over and over. I am talking about things like Bug Hunt Elite or Dranuur Beach Assault Elite and all the others which are now harder to play. For those the system it is not better but far worse.

Yes they have made one group of missions easier to play but they have made another group far harder to play for no good reason. There is no reason why they cannot undo UI change for Elites and 6+ players normal/advanced leaving us with the best of both worlds.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    EDIT: Since there ARE queues that don't qualify for the random system, the obvious next step is for the devs to change those queues so that they will work smoothly with the new random system.
    There is nothing in those queues that wouldn't work with the random system, the devs have just arbitrarily excluded them from it for reasons they have not seen fit to explain.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    I am throwing in my two strips of latinum.......I don't like some of the PvE content and I DON'T want to play them. Not giving me an option to pick which ones I don't want to show up just makes me not want to use the random button. I would rather have to old PvE menu back. It showed all that needed to be showed and was easy enough to navigate. Now I can't even tell which queue has anyone in it. Something I always check before joining. And now that Red Alerts are gone, finding anything is now a hurry up and wait game.
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    First time in... Infected space. Not the greatest team but no issues.
    Second ground... and painful
    Third ground... and painful
    Gourth ground started loading, STO crashed.

My reaction good. Done for awhile.

This system is an abomination. Give me a choice to at least skip ground. 99% of the players don't know how to do them or worse. I have nothing against ground, if people love it so much give them the option to only run ground.

I really can't understand why the random choice que doesn't have a simple ground/space option. Rewards are fine, in fact rewards are great. I would gladly random space ques all day long. But forcing me to endure ground in this game.... no thanks. If I wanted to play ground there are better options elsewhere. Space is the only thing unique and worthwhile IMO (I get lots of people love ground)... give me the option to stick at least to generally what I like.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Try 10. Okay let me try and queue up for something I wanna play. Wait 30 min. Give up..
    Some queues are purposely excluded from the random system. Since the vast majority of players were probably queued up for random OR Starbase 1 and you were queued up for something that doesn't work with it, it's no wonder your queue didn't pop. Sadly, my favorite queue "colony invasion" doesn't seem to work with the random system either. It never popped.
    OP, I've thought about this and I have a suggestion that you may or may not agree with but I'm interested in your opinion.

Obviously RTFO for elites would be a bad idea. Elite is one of the few parts of the game where having the proper traits, spec trees, skill is 100% necessary making a random system of queuing pretty much impossible to complete without failure. At least when pugging, you know which queue you are getting and can set yourself up properly.

In the past, people have suggested having a rotating system that gave bonus awards for queues that rarely pop. Perhaps such a system or something similar could be implemented ONLY for elite queues. Bonus awards would be similar like choice mark boxes to accompany the normal awards. Maybe weekend vouchers or something similar. Maybe even phoenix packs. What do you think?
    OP, I've thought about this and I have a suggestion that you may or may not agree with but I'm interested in your opinion.

Obviously RTFO for elites would be a bad idea. Elite is one of the few parts of the game where having the proper traits, spec trees, skill is 100% necessary making a random system of queuing pretty much impossible to complete without failure. At least when pugging, you know which queue you are getting and can set yourself up properly.

In the past, people have suggested having a rotating system that gave bonus awards for queues that rarely pop. Perhaps such a system or something similar could be implemented ONLY for elite queues. Bonus awards would be similar like choice mark boxes to accompany the normal awards. Maybe weekend vouchers or something similar. Maybe even phoenix packs. What do you think?
    I am not keen on that idea. The problem is not that people do not want to play elites. The problem is the bad design has stopped us from joining each other. Bonuses are not going solve the problem of not being able to see which queries are active and being able to pick the outs we like out of the actives.
    I am not keen on that idea. The problem is not that people do not want to play elites. The problem is the bad design has stopped us from joining each other. Bonuses are not going solve the problem of not being able to see which queries are active and being able to pick the outs we like out of the actives.
    It's true that bonuses won't change the numbers you can see but honestly which elite queues when pugged popped over the last few years? Not many and none quickly after a sustained assault by anymarks RA's. A simple revert won't make anywhere near all of them pop. That's a solution that I would be looking for instead of just a simple reversion that doesn't do much more than make BOTSE and NTTE pop. Any ideas to generate more interest in all elite queues?
    It's true that bonuses won't change the numbers you can see but honestly which elite queues when pugged popped over the last few years? Not many and none quickly after a sustained assault by anymarks RA's. A simple revert won't make anywhere near all of them pop. That's a solution that I would be looking for instead of just a simple reversion that doesn't do much more than make BOTSE and NTTE pop. Any ideas to generate more interest in all elite queues?
    Just rolling back the changes in the UI will cause a large increase over what we have now.
    Just rolling back the changes in the UI will cause a large increase over what we have now.
    I disagree as I said. Almost no elite queues popped as of yesterday. Personally, like you, I would like more of them to pop but I would aim higher than just 1 or 2 of them being possible. Do you have any actual ideas to make this happen? If rewards won't help then we need to think of something else. Something unique that will make elites more desirable. Because they weren't popping yesterday or the day before or the week before or the month before. A simple revert won't change that.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    If the new concept is that players in line of a RTFO are funneled through queues some else dialed up the old fashion way I grow increasingly skeptical of what use the number of players in line for a discrete map is supposed to be. The estemate wait time was a joke anyway, always.

That kind of info only would get interesting again if close to just a handful of players in sum are around at all to play public PvE.

It is correct that the new UI is still a downgrade for elite as it is not included for RTFO but I think most tend to them in private anyway.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Well, I just did my first DRSA pug in YEARS thanks to the new system and it popped in about 2 seconds. So I don't know what the OP is talking about.

wait for a few months and say that again. don't be so quick to jump on it like the op is wrong before it has had a chance to show if it works or not.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
This discussion has been closed.