test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any benefit to rolling a Discovery toon?

koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
Not logged in yet and didn't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm wondering are there account-wide benefits/unlocks associated with levelling an AoD character?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    There is NO recruiting event. However, just make one up for the fun of it. Not sure why they did not make a recruiting event this time around. I guess people were just tired of grinding?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    There is NO recruiting event. However, just make one up for the fun of it. Not sure why they did not make a recruiting event this time around. I guess people were just tired of grinding?​​

I'm still grinding on my Gamma recruit.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    A recruiting event would have been nice, I missed the previous ones
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited October 2018

Me too, just need to finish the 90 spec points needed. Not sure whats the count but I have to be getting close to it.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »

Me too, just need to finish the 90 spec points needed. Not sure whats the count but I have to be getting close to it.
    It might help to remember that secondary-only specs are 15 points each, and primary specs are 30 points each.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

From comments on a recent Ten Forward Weekly, it does take a fair bit of work hooking up a recruitment event. And that's any recruitment event (topic was a Temporal re-run.) A new AoD event would have also required some dev time making new rewards. They're certainly willing to put that effort into an expansion, but for a season release it's probably a stretch (on top of everything else.) The principle function of DSC characters is to give a special entry point for new fans coming in from DSC (but are perhaps less attached to the rest of the franchise) while giving something nominally new to established players to vary their FED characters. It's accommodating new interests.

That said, there is something AOD characters can earn through leveling: all the rewards you've earned through the last 3 events (potentially a huge pile of swag.) ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Not gonna make one, then.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think all the episodes in this are available to your other "fed"? toons as holo simulations... not sure if kdf type can access or not. Only thing new that could be restricted to TRIBBLE toons is the tutorial... so play that and delete toon. I dont have any attachments to TRIBBLE since I never saw any of it... and I hated the new Klingons, and the uniforms/interiors are all so out of place/canon.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    Passing on making one too. Not interested in the show or anything connected to it.

There was one good thing about this release, the idea of the Walker Class growing with the character. That's how they should have handled the starter ships for all the factions.
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Not gonna make one, then.

I'm with Warpangel. I'm pretty disappointed about it. I was looking for an excuse to level a new toon, but with no account benefits I will not be slogging through the same old missions AGAIN (haven't played my gamma through the old missions either because there is no benefit). Hopefully, they will eventually have a recruitment event that will include DISC toons. Maybe when they add DISC Klingons? Otherwise, I'll never level a DISC toon.

Back to my regularly scheduled only logging in running the event or featured episode and logging out.

I'm willing to bet they definitely missed out on considerable "played time" metrics by not including a recruitment event with this one. Hopefully, they are just holding off until there is more DISC missions and species in the game.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I was going to make one. Then I saw there are only 3 options for ST:D character creation, Human, Vulcan and Alien-gen. Coupled with all the bugs/issues I've found with the release so far, and my interest has dried up. I've been looking for an excuse to cut back on my play time, and the Devs gave it to me with this release.

I think for the foreseeable future, I'll log in and run my dailies and then log out. I'm not overly interested in doing anything else as it stands with the game now.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    I already had several captains before they came up with the Recruit events. I ended up making a Delta recruit, an AoY recruit, and a Gamma recruit, and so far they are in various stages of 'completion' - max level, but working on commendations, research, spec points etc. And of course, completing all the episodes and tasks needed to unlock their Recruit bonuses.

I am okay with them not adding another Recruit event at this time. However, I also don't see any reason at all to start a new Discovery captain. Jem'Hadar captains already feel like a major ripoff, seeing as they miss levelling/promotion unlocks, they miss the levelling ships (for Admiralty, if nothing else), get no Vet ships, they miss the bonuses for completing 3 reps... I honestly feel that I might just unlock the basics for my Gamma recruit and then just leave him as storage.

Existing captains can run Discovery content 'as historical simulation'. There is no interesting new race, or even interesting *old* race; there is no extra/bonus trait or other distinguishing feature; and they haven't even hinted at '"we'll add something cool for Discovery captains in a later release!". I'm having difficulty justifying grinding out reps, spec points, missions, gear etc. etc on yet another race-limited, Fed-locked captain.

I understand that limiting them to Fed and a few races may be story/show related - though surely there were more than Humans, Vulcans and Aliens? They had more than that for AoY and in Enterprise. With 4 Fed captains and a Fed-Rom already this lack of options fails to captivate me.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User

The gamma recruit got the laziest selection of timesinks for uninspired rewards so for mine they'll be done sometime, maybe.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    2 episodes and a tutorial (copied and pasted generic fed tutorial that you're forced to complete) extremely limited species choices, no andorians or tellarites which really doesn't make sense but it does have the nice warp effect from the series.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    kurzis wrote: »
    2 episodes and a tutorial (copied and pasted generic fed tutorial that you're forced to complete) extremely limited species choices, no andorians or tellarites which really doesn't make sense but it does have the nice warp effect from the series.

Yeah, not a fan of the forced tutorial. It's ok for the first time to see what they did with it but I'll only roll one Disco toon because of that.

The Phaser array and ground weapon animations are nice.

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User
    koppster wrote: »
    Not logged in yet and didn't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm wondering are there account-wide benefits/unlocks associated with levelling an AoD character?

I'm personally waiting till people start leveling some characters and see if they get any new toys or if it's like AoY characters were they still have the same stuff like same 25th century drones and 25th century photonic fleet.

If they have new stuff this time, may be worth it to me personally...as it's some new flash instead of more of the same old.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Haven't even finished my temporal one.. :D
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    im not bothered sure i like discovery but 2 races and alien gen a few missions not worth it imo
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Isn't worth it. The missions are cool and Tilly was great! :D

But ... yeah ... the tutorial is just a reskin of the Fed Tutorial ... I'm not playing the game again for a new toon.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • eltecheltech Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Yeah, tutorial, 2 missions (though quite good), then Daniels kidnaps your butt... again!!! Then it's back to levelling up with the same missions as all your other toons over the last five or so years...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    eltech wrote: »
    [...]Daniels kidnaps your butt... again!!! [...]

Daniels? Really?

Oh, come on, they could have made some kind of new thing there at least. Stuck in a temporal paradox, forced to go into stasis for 150 years, stored in transporter buffers. Just something different.

I mean, I like the UI colour and the sound, but a bit more love on the side of the writers would not hurt anyone, uh?

Well to be honest, from the way they talked about things on the weekly livestream, it seems like the AoD character stuff was made pretty much for new players that come in from watching Discovery.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    I'm just gonna wait till they finish AoD
    GwaoHAD.png
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I have no intention of creating an TRIBBLE toon. Don’t care for the series and besides, all my toons are “unfinished.” The last thing I need is to start a grind on yet another one.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    kurzis wrote: »

Now if only they would add the warp effect to the Science Vanguard....

• jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User

From comments on a recent Ten Forward Weekly, it does take a fair bit of work hooking up a recruitment event. And that's any recruitment event (topic was a Temporal re-run.) A new AoD event would have also required some dev time making new rewards. They're certainly willing to put that effort into an expansion, but for a season release it's probably a stretch (on top of everything else.) The principle function of DSC characters is to give a special entry point for new fans coming in from DSC (but are perhaps less attached to the rest of the franchise) while giving something nominally new to established players to vary their FED characters. It's accommodating new interests.

That said, there is something AOD characters can earn through leveling: all the rewards you've earned through the last 3 events (potentially a huge pile of swag.) ;)

This is true. And some mighty sweet swag at that!

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Maybe there will be a retroactive recruitment event at some point. It's not impossible to make existing characters recruits. Until then, I have no real reason to play an AoD char beyond the story missions that they create.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I made a TRIBBLE toon, and played around with it some. Not worth it at this point. However, if they do a recruitment or add some other incentives, I may go back and revisit that toon. For now I'm going to just stick with my main.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

Thankfully. So I'll feel free to make one play though the starter part and then delete. Because I really really don't need another toon hanging around.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I'll make one because.. free character slot.

Not sure if I will ever play him/her though.. might keep them around to play here and there, but I doubt it. Sometimes it's fun to play lowbie missions and doesn't hurt anything just having the character hanging around.

The DSC character will be my 9th character.. you can only go through the process so many times before it makes you want to tear the skin off your face. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.