test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Big mistake cryptic is not doing with Age of Discovery

xuelxuel Member Posts: 169 Arc User
So far Age of Discovery seems cool and all. Yet they are leaving half of it out, and that half is the Klingons. I mean come on, most the story in Discovery is about a Federation and Klingon war. They really need to put in the Discovery Klingons to keep with the lore of the show.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    If we're lucky the Klingon visuals will unlock in the same way the TOS visuals did when a Fed character compleats the last of the AoY exclusive missions.

If we're unlucky we'll not get them because no single canon Klingon can be replicated ingame at all since launch. Not a single bloody one.

Except S1 Fed uniformed Worf if you were lucky enough to grab the hair and baldric unlock.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Two sets of tutorial missions would be double the work to make a much smaller number of players happy. Also, the source material is 90% from the Federation viewpoint so Crypyic would have to create more material on their own. No mistake at all, just business.

If STO had the player base and revenue of WoW then it could happen, but it doesn't so it won't.
  • kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    isn't it only 2 episodes worth of content? I dont know how they could fit klingons into that
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Unconfirmed reports from Klingon intelligence that DSC Klingons will be coming to Lockbox/R&D and Doff promotion to you soon :smiley:
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    No canon Klinks? Methinks Brigadier General Kirrk would disagree with that - TOS Klingon head and uniform all the way!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Two sets of tutorial missions would be double the work to make a much smaller number of players happy. Also, the source material is 90% from the Federation viewpoint so Crypyic would have to create more material on their own. No mistake at all, just business.

If STO had the player base and revenue of WoW then it could happen, but it doesn't so it won't.

It seems like with every new 'faction', we get less and less content. Legacy of Romulus came out with about 30 Romulan-only missions and 6 cross-faction missions set on Nimbus III. Agents of Yesterday came out with 6 TOS Starfleet-only missions with 5 cross-faction missions. Victory is Life came out with the tutorial mission for Jem'Hadar and 6 cross-faction missions. Now we apparently have the Discovery Starfleet Tutorial mission and 2 Historical Simulation missions for Age of Discovery.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I just need one of those in BOFF form for one of my characters. That is all I ask. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    If you think about it, you can have a canon Discovery Klingon crew for your Federation ship using the existing racial types.

(Hi Ash!)
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Awww that's cute, you all think there are actually more than one faction. Kidding of course, but the faction line is definitely blurring.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    I believe Discovery Klingons are planned to be added later along with other species looks being updated per Discovery.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    jonsills wrote: »
    No canon Klinks? Methinks Brigadier General Kirrk would disagree with that - TOS Klingon head and uniform all the way!

You're missing the ranks and a colour option. The two coloured ranks appear on NPCs only and the gold ranks don't exist at all, neither does the ability to colour the uniform purple.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    More of that sweet TRIBBLE for the community.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    artan42 wrote: »
    If we're lucky the Klingon visuals will unlock in the same way the TOS visuals did when a Fed character compleats the last of the AoY exclusive missions.

If we're unlucky we'll not get them because no single canon Klingon can be replicated ingame at all since launch. Not a single bloody one.

Except S1 Fed uniformed Worf if you were lucky enough to grab the hair and baldric unlock.​​

I was trying to make a TNG era Klingon uniform recently.

The result reminds me of a scene from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy regarding the ship's ability to make tea.
    Translated to Klingon uniforms: No matter how hard I tried, how much I played around with colors and different uniforms or baldrics, the result was invariably something that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a TNG Klingon uniform.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    You're missing the ranks and a colour option. The two coloured ranks appear on NPCs only and the gold ranks don't exist at all, neither does the ability to colour the uniform purple.​​

The purple uniforms were a production error (like the blue Orions and a few other things) due to the director being colourblind :)

I was trying to make a TNG era Klingon uniform recently.

The result reminds me of a scene from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy regarding the ship's ability to make tea.
    Translated to Klingon uniforms: No matter how hard I tried, how much I played around with colors and different uniforms or baldrics, the result was invariably something that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a TNG Klingon uniform.

Funnily enough I had the exact same thought a few years ago when I last bothered with my Klingons :D.
    irm1963 wrote: »

The purple uniforms were a production error (like the blue Orions and a few other things) due to the director being colourblind :)

And now they're part of the rich, if sometimes embarrassingly stupid, tapestry of canon.

#TASforSTO

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I'm not as much bothered by the lack of orc option for Klingon players as I am about not getting a single unique Discovery race. Just humans, Vulcans and alien. No Kelpians, no robot lady, no Discovery Andorians or Tellarites... what a disappointment.

But you will get your wish (at least partially), Orc Klingons will soon be an option for all Klingon players, just like TOS Gorn is a customization option for all Gorn players.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    szim wrote: »
    I'm not as much bothered by the lack of orc option for Klingon players as I am about not getting a single unique Discovery race. Just humans, Vulcans and alien. No Kelpians, no robot lady, no Discovery Andorians or Tellarites... what a disappointment.

But you will get your wish (at least partially), Orc Klingons will soon be an option for all Klingon players, just like TOS Gorn is a customization option for all Gorn players.

I’m confused a bit but think I saw all episodes. Wasn’t that Robot or Android more of a Kelvin movie thingy or am I mistaken? :)

Also a buddy of mine used the 23c Gorn head on his char but I never saw him using the rest of the body parts. Are they available by now?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I’m confused a bit but think I saw all episodes. Wasn’t that Robot or Android more of a Kelvin movie thingy or am I mistaken? :)

Also a buddy of mine used the 23c Gorn head on his char but I never saw him using the rest of the body parts. Are they available by now?

One of the bridge officers on the Discovery is a cyborg. She didn't have a very big part in Season 1, was just shown briefly, easy to forget.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2018

One of the bridge officers on the Discovery is a cyborg. She didn't have a very big part in Season 1, was just shown briefly, easy to forget.

Ah! Yea sure I noticed Ariam and the cyborg thingy makes sense as the crew seems to act towards her more like a person than just a piece of hardware and sentient androids like Data should not have been around yet. Nice article so thanks for link. :)

She is referred to an augmented human more there instead of an alien. That makes one curious and the references to red haired officer with the eye implant are also made. Hope they give some more explanation in the show as to what happened to her to become that way. Quite creepy that she perhaps also suffered injuries that could have been more extend cuz hard to imagine that someone would augment himself freely that way.

Lol. For all we know in the Discovery timeframe your working contract with Starfleet could very well extend beyond death. >:)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    ...the references to red haired officer with the eye implant are also made. Hope they give some more explanation in the show as to what happened to her to become that way. Quite creepy that she perhaps also suffered injuries that could have been more extend cuz hard to imagine that someone would augment himself freely that way.
    She was one of the bridge officers of the Shenzou, and was injured at the Battle of the Binary Stars. That was why she looked alarmed when she saw Burnham on the bridge of the Discovery, and why Burnham looked so uncomfortable.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    ...the references to red haired officer with the eye implant are also made. Hope they give some more explanation in the show as to what happened to her to become that way. Quite creepy that she perhaps also suffered injuries that could have been more extend cuz hard to imagine that someone would augment himself freely that way.
    She was one of the bridge officers of the Shenzou, and was injured at the Battle of the Binary Stars. That was why she looked alarmed when she saw Burnham on the bridge of the Discovery, and why Burnham looked so uncomfortable.

Wow, is that a fact? :o
    animated.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    And now they're part of the rich, if sometimes embarrassingly stupid, tapestry of canon.

Only if you count acknowledged errors as canon. Purple Klingons are like O'Brien's rank insignia. They don't make in-universe sense and have been acknowledged as fuckups out-of-universe. In my book that means they can be ignored - I'd still like the option to make purple Klingons though, because options are always good.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    Pffflol... This game is so full of noncanon dinosaurususes and other strange stuff, that I cannot for the life of me see a reason why not to include purple Klingo, uhr, orcs in this game.
    /Floozy
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Yup.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    in Keyla Detmer's first appearance she had no cybernetic implants. Then after the Shenzhou got shot to pieces, we see her with implants that suggest that half of her face had to be surgically reconstructed. O-o'
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    angrytarg wrote: »

Only if you count acknowledged errors as canon. Purple Klingons are like O'Brien's rank insignia. They don't make in-universe sense and have been acknowledged as fuckups out-of-universe. In my book that means they can be ignored - I'd still like the option to make purple Klingons though, because options are always good.

The Klingons themselves are not purple (though Purple Klingons are canon) it's only their uniforms. I have no idea why you think that a purple uniform doesn't 'make in-universe sense' but continuous colouring issues are not mistakes, the Klingons appeared multiple times in TAS and somebody would have pointed them out as being incorrect after the first appearance.​​

#TASforSTO

This discussion has been closed.