test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Free Discovery Uniforms!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Starting tomorrow, with the launch of Age of Discovery, the Star Trek Discovery uniforms are returning to the C-store, absolutely free on PC!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11007823

Comments

• themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Will the updates to the color palettes described here be retroactively applied to the existing versions we got before, or will there be a later patch, or do we just claim them again?
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    And will we be able to get a white that doesn't look grey?
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I am really confused as to why you just didnt have them as an automatic tailor option and instead decided they have to be bought for nothing?

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    I am really confused as to why you just didnt have them as an automatic tailor option and instead decided they have to be bought for nothing?

free for now... later you need to pay. or they can give away later again and make it a big deal for the new comers.
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Woot!
    Free uniform options … are always a "Good Thing". Really, what's not to like about free?
    Newly minted AoD captain - hopefully rocking a sweet beard and floppy hair - scheduled to arrive at SF Academy on Oct 9.
    ty Ambassadorkael (and the STO Team)
    You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    And will we be able to get a white that doesn't look grey?

THANK YOU -
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Already have them, but nice that you're running it again for people that don't have it.

They look great! :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    I really hate the Uniform, its really bad, but nice they are free (prob coz noone would buy them lol)
  • sassycole#5575 sassycole Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    honestly what was the point of giving them away with the magazine if you intended on giving them away for free anyways? I'm pretty sure half the reason people bought that magazine was for the outfit.
  • pmarquardtpmarquardt Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    The uniforms of Star Trek: Discovery are returning to the Apparel tab of the C-store with the launch of Age of Discovery – and just like before, they’re absolutely free! You’ll be able to recreate any of the looks of season one of Discovery on your 2409 and Discovery Era Starfleet Captains, and with the new editable collar color, you’ll be able to create the uniform of Captain Pike from Season 2, as well! These uniforms will be available indefinitely, so if you missed the previous giveaways, head to the store and pick up your brand new look tomorrow.

And what about the rank stripes on the sleeves?

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I will probably get the free uniforms for RP reasons though I think they are extremely fugly and impractical.

If you watch how stiff they are and the stress lines they make as the actors move they are obviously very binding, a looks-over-practicality philosophy which is the very opposite of the one Roddenberry had for the show. That and they are so hoplessly unfashionable, channeling the1980s androgynous power business suits. Yuck.

The weird part is that the Cage and early TOS uniforms, with just a little cut adjustment and the use of real velvet (ideally in slightly darker, richer shades) instead of cheap dull (and ever shrinking) velour, would look great by todays standards. Fashion has come full circle in many respects.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I think the uniform is nice. Glad Cryptic is partnering this Discovery free uniform giveaway again with more Discovery content releasing. Nice attention to detail too with updating it, hopefully successfully.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    You’ll be able to recreate any of the looks of season one of Discovery on your 2409 and Discovery Era Starfleet Captains...

So an update to the Discovery uniforms, actual white tops like the doctor had and black Starfleet badges?

Or is it going to be the off-white/grey that we currently have and no black badges, but with a new editable collar?

Being able to edit the collar is a plus so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but when you release a statement saying we'll be able to recreate ANY of the looks from S1, and then don't actually give the ability to do so, it seems a bit like false advertising. Guess a 'wait and see' attitude would be the best approach to take.

However, overall I'm glad the uniform is being given away again, as something is better than nothing. It'll give those new players who will begin tomorrow something nice to start out with, and those that may have missed it previously a second chance.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    dirlettia wrote: »

free for now... later you need to pay. or they can give away later again and make it a big deal for the new comers.

No mention of the free being limited time.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    "indefinitely"
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    It says we'll be able to recreate Captain Pike's uniform, does that mean it's going to come with a variant that doesn't have the metallic deltas up the sides?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Can we get the canon colors too, please?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    those are the canon colors, as for the Yellow/Red/Blue from Season 2, the pre-upgrade version already has more or less the full palette avaible so you can pretty easily re-create the TOS colors or even the cage ones if you want to. Only issue was the DSC medical uniforms since for what ever reason the texture made impossible to get white uniforms or even really light grey only clearly grey.

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I know they are using the canon colors in the announcement. I would like to know what those colors are.

spiritborn wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    those are the canon colors, as for the Yellow/Red/Blue from Season 2, the pre-upgrade version already has more or less the full palette avaible so you can pretty easily re-create the TOS colors or even the cage ones if you want to. Only issue was the DSC medical uniforms since for what ever reason the texture made impossible to get white uniforms or even really light grey only clearly grey.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Account wide unlock?
  • raso#2966 raso Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    It says we'll be able to recreate Captain Pike's uniform, does that mean it's going to come with a variant that doesn't have the metallic deltas up the sides?
    You can get really close currently, the colors do not line up though.

discotest.png

header-pike-trailer.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I think they are nice uniforms. I use it for my Temporal Recruit and her Boffs.
    The other Fed: Ferengi is currently sporting the "Leck" look. Leck is cute! LOL!

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    raso#2966 wrote: »

discotest.png

header-pike-trailer.jpg

I wish the collar was't so unsymetrical. It really throws things off and is quite distracting.

And I hope they don't have badges attached to the sides of the boots on the 'new versions'. Ironic that two years before Discovery, Starfleet had uniforms (The Cage/The Managerie) that lead to the version TOS is iconic for, which you can see the earlier version still used in the second pilot. Then 'bam!', they switch to the Discovery Blue uniforms and then to a cross of Disco Blue and Cage uniforms. Very strange....

On a positive note, it's looks like we'll be able to use Admiral badges *yay!* My admirals were only able access ensign to captain, but not the final rank. :)
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    raso#2966 wrote: »

discotest.png

header-pike-trailer.jpg

I wish the collar was't so unsymetrical. It really throws things off and is quite distracting.

And I hope they don't have badges attached to the sides of the boots on the 'new versions'. Ironic that two years before Discovery, Starfleet had uniforms (The Cage/The Managerie) that lead to the version TOS is iconic for, which you can see the earlier version still used in the second pilot. Then 'bam!', they switch to the Discovery Blue uniforms and then to a cross of Disco Blue and Cage uniforms. Very strange....

On a positive note, it's looks like we'll be able to use Admiral badges *yay!* My admirals were only able access ensign to captain, but not the final rank. :)

I had access to the Admiral badge.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I also have the set already. I was dabbling tonight. I note the collar was already black and couldn't be changed with the palette. Where the collar had been default 'Discovery blue' the last time I tinkered with them. I'm hoping the patch aligns the customization better come tomorrow.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I want to make a pink one. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    I also have the set already. I was dabbling tonight. I note the collar was already black and couldn't be changed with the palette. Where the collar had been default 'Discovery blue' the last time I tinkered with them. I'm hoping the patch aligns the customization better come tomorrow.
    Oh, you can make it work if you tweak it right. The trick is that color channel 3 works, but the picker is hidden. So you have to set the color of channel 3 in a different outfit that actually shows the picker. This should be fixed tomorrow though. Here's a result I made by tinkering:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I already got them the first time they were released, however I never really had any desire to use them.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I'd like to get the Discovery Mirror uniforms and the Discovery crop sleeve uniforms.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!