test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I hope they add the tactical away team vest too
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    ... work of basement dwelling trolls.

I thought Trolls lived under bridges?

khan5000 wrote: »

That tactical uniform is just more than a vest - whole different suit under it as well. But I hope they add the option :-)
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator

Too noisy these days. And no power or internet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    @ AmbassadorKael, do we know yet if the PACK can be traded between accounts? Or is it bound to account on purchase?
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • kourgath22kourgath22 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    @ AmbassadorKael, do we know yet if the PACK can be traded between accounts? Or is it bound to account on purchase?

I would think it would be like other similar packs which I assume are at least account bound.
    RcMelvY.jpg
    The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved. - Yang Wen-li
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    kourgath22 wrote: »
    sarvour0 wrote: »

I would think it would be like other similar packs which I assume are at least account bound.

Yup, from what we've been told it'll operate like all the other starter packs. (so, not a thing you can buy or sell on the exchange. It's a c-store unlock.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Which is why we have the Klingon Defence Force and the Romulan Republic in STO, right?

No... pretty sure we have the KDF originally because of the percieved mandatory opposing factions in MMOs. Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde. Romulans are comparable to WoW's Pandarens, which can choose to join one of the existing factions, and the Jem'Hadar might as well be comparable to Death Knights, having the accelerated start.

Even Elder Scrolls Online has factions, even though they've made them less relevant. I believe the only relevant thing involving factions right now is the PvP elements in ESO. STO can maintain the "opposing factions" stuff while continuing with the story because of PvP. However... the state of PvP in game is poor. Its in tatters with all the unbalanced shtako and there really isn't anywhere to practice it either. Ker'rat is open for ganking, the queues are unwelcoming to rookies... in general PvP is not rookie friendly. At all.

Quite honestly, what's the point of new factions that ends up being the Starfleet all over again?

Might as well as just have one Starfleet faction, with a selection of what origin you want (i.e. TOS Starfleet) in the tutorial, rather than take up separate slots in Character Creation?

Well, the biggest point of a new faction that ends up being starfleet all over again is that new players can choose what era now that they want to start from.

- If they choose to go with Discovery era, then they get to play through a storyline that takes place at a time that there's still a currently running TV show with and see a familiar character from that timeline.
    - If they choose to go with TOS era, they will skip the academy and start already on a starship that is near the point Kirk's 5 year mission would be coming to the end and experience content that looks cheesy by today's standards, but was a marvel to look at in the 60s.
    - If they choose to go with the 25th century era, then they will start out in the modern time of the game's setting.

The point of the separate character slots is so that you can make more than one character if you so choose. Remember each faction also has a number of species to select from. Someone could want to do a human Discovery Captain 1st, then go back and do a Vulcan captain next, or even go bold and create an alien using an alien gen creator.

The only other starfleet start that has alien gen is the 25th century (since the devs wanted to have TOS with the founding species but stick as close to TOS as possible with very few aliens ever seen in TOS as Starfleet).
    People are just as curious to see how the 'other side' would view events during the same time era, let alone the ships used, and how it would tie into the current events of STO.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see this happen too, but there are obvious problems that end up coming up in trying to make it happen:

- DIscovery, has it's own issues with the Klingons and the Romulans in particular.
    • Klingons in this time period we know have gone from being united as an Empire to a large scale civil war between 24 houses. Each house obviously has their own particular plan that they'd like to see enacted for the sake of the Empire. While they all unite following T'Kuvma's call following his death, that unification was rather fragile and once Kol of the House of Kor was defeated, they fell apart and started competing to see whom could take the most territory from the Federation. It took the threat of a bomb that would literally destroy the central power of the Klingon Empire for a new individual to come up into power and bring the Empire back into a united front. It would make for a great exploration of Discovery from the point of the Klingons, but without knowing what it was that each great house would have been up to, there really wouldn't be much for them to provide here.
    • Romulans in this period of time are still relatively isolating themselves from the Federation. We're essentially still around 11 years before they officially get to be seen face to face by the Federation, so any contact that would go on would have to be non-visual to keep to canon. Not to mention, we run into the problem that we don't even know anything about them between Enterprise and TOS so that is also a big issue.
    - TOS: Klingons and Romulans appeared so little in TOS that it's hard for the Devs justifying any particular development time towards either of these factions in the time of TOS and also provide backstory for them.
    • Romulans in the TOS era in canon were all from the Romulan Star Empire and thus would find it problematic to fit in with 2409 Romulans, whom are part of a Republic rather than an Empire, especially given the fact that the Romulan Star Empire they know is supposed to be their enemy.
    • Klingons as we know in canon were essentially made opposite of the Federation that instead of diplomatic solutions leading to the acquisition of goods, the Klingons would go and conquer places if they could not get what they wanted through fear first. Although later series would greatly expand on the Klingon culture, we know that they did not bother to do anything for the TOS Klingons basically because prior to Discovery, we had honestly no clue what had happened to the Empire between Enterprise and TOS, so there would have to be a lot of guesswork. Making them fit in with 2409 would be no problem since like the TOS Feds, Klingons are coming from being enemies in one era to being enemies in another.
    Edit: While doing the dishes, I remembered Closed Beta, and they introduced Klingons into the build. It was CBS Marketing who decided that STO needed PvP, and most people they surveyed said they were more for PvPing than PvE/story arcs. Which is why the main focus was relying on PvP (like the old maps where you and your faction fought opposing players from the other faction, like HALO; very basic stuff) to level up.

You got to unlock the faction after reaching level 6 as a Starfleet Officer.

It ended up being a guarantee to have a very limited Klingon faction, not in just what you can do, but in size as well. Especially as it became rinse-and-repeat.

Thank goodness they expanded the Klingons into a more complete faction, I've made quite a few Klingons after that.

Everytime a new faction comes in, like AoY, there's an interest in making those characters. It brings in more characters/players into the faction that it's being fed into. Which, with AoY and AoD, that's Starfleet.

This is part of the reason players who are fans of Klingons and Romulans are feeling shortchanged in STO.

AoY and AoD both do have the similarity that they are largely focused in on Starfleet. However, you also have to remember that Star Trek as a whole has always been favoring doing the Federation/Starfleet stories since that is what was established by Gene Roddenberry. It wasn't until TNG that Klingons and Romulans got more attention placed on them and even then, the attention wasn't as big as it was with the Federation story focus.

AoY: What happened to Noye? What caused the inverse temporal damage link between him as the Envoy and Daniels? The Envoy and his version of the Temporal Alliance had tried to ally with enemies of the Federation to put a stop to what lead to the death of Clauda. This is where he would be tied into the tutorial mission of the Klingon and/or Romulan AoY characters.

And in the reworked tutorial for Klingons, there was Na'kuhl agents that tried to convince the Klingon Empire to help them, with advanced knowledge. It was turned down, and the agents dealt with, but the information was gladly kept.

Yet, in the AoY tutorial, the Envoy worked with both the Romulan and Klingon Empires. Which would make a great complimentary tutorial for the Agents of Yesterday from their factions. The Envoy could enlist the players as agents of his own to help convince their respective faction to work on his side. Towards the end of the tutorial, they could be approached by temporal agent (great time to invite Roxann Dawson to reprise her role as B'Elanna Torres :smiley: , for the Romulans, it would be ironic if it was Sela, post-Survivor, who acted on behalf of the Romulans, esp. considering her mother Tasha Yar time travelling lead to Sela's birth).

Thanks to the Delta Recruit system, the Klingons and Romulans have established Temporal Agent contacts, so that wouldn't be a problem for AoY characters of those factions. And the AoY info kiosks/mini-missions can be used for the Klingon and Romulan version, with new information making it worthwhile for those who played the AoY recruitment event to want to try out the other AoY factions.

Klingons, like Starfleet, used hand held communicators (Klingons can use the kind shown in the TOS movies), so there wouldn't take much to reuse that emote for transporting. While communicators for Romulans, as far as I can remember wasn't shown, it would most likely be something closer to Starfleet's rather than the klunky Klingon version. Hmm, I should watch The Search for Spock again. I don't remember if the Klingon's communicator doubles as a tricorder or not.

The groundwork is already laid down, thanks to Star Fleet's AoY, along with assets that was used in the temporal Doomsday (Romulan) and the final mission (Klingon).

Federation-allied Romulans and Jem'Hadar can now use AoY ships, but those allied to the Klingons miss out on those ships, except for the 31st Century Ships. It would be great to have a T1 Romulan Bird-of-Prey and T1 D-7 Klingon Battlecruiser to match the T1 Constitution (maybe the three of them could be made scalable like the new T1 Walker-class ship), as well as other ships, such as the Romulan version of the Battlecruiser that the Klingons gave them in exchange of the cloaking technology (oh, wait, that was retconned in Discovery...), raptors, etc.

Then there would be T6 26th Century versions of the ships that Klingons and Romulans would have of those ships. *sigh* So much content to be had.... :smiley:
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

Well, it's pretty easy and cheap to craft these yourself. I have sets crafted for each level as my alts advance, space and ground, and keep them in my account bank. They use the sets as they level and them switch them out as needed finally getting enough experience to use my account Aegis set I made with my Temporal Alt ages ago. Easy peasy.

That’s what I’ve done... crafted a full set of VR gear at each level, and just trade it between toons, as it’s all account bound. I have a Ferengi toon who keeps it all, nice and organized in her bank. As this ship has extra slots, I will probably spend some time on Monday crafting a few more pieces... it takes a whopping 2 hours I think to craft mk ii VR items... I can get them all started at the same time and collect a few hours later...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

Well, it's pretty easy and cheap to craft these yourself. I have sets crafted for each level as my alts advance, space and ground, and keep them in my account bank. They use the sets as they level and them switch them out as needed finally getting enough experience to use my account Aegis set I made with my Temporal Alt ages ago. Easy peasy.

That’s what I’ve done... crafted a full set of VR gear at each level, and just trade it between toons, as it’s all account bound. I have a Ferengi toon who keeps it all, nice and organized in her bank. As this ship has extra slots, I will probably spend some time on Monday crafting a few more pieces... it takes a whopping 2 hours I think to craft mk ii VR items... I can get them all started at the same time and collect a few hours later...

I've been doing that my self for ages. Not surprised that so many people figured out that strategy. It works very well too! It's just so convenient to have Very Rare equipment waiting for you when you get promoted!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Trolls moved from living under bridges to their mothers' basement in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some trolls still live under bridges according to a documentary from College Humor.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I might purchase this AoD starter pack. I'm not eager for the newest Discovery content, but not dismissing it neither till I learn more about it. At that introductory price though it is a good value.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Can you use the Discovery/Walker bridge interior on other ships? Aka fly another ship and use the default Disc bridge?​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Can you use the Discovery/Walker bridge interior on other ships? Aka fly another ship and use the default Disc bridge?​​

Unlikely since it's not a C-Store item. TOS characters can't use the Pioneer bridge on any other ship, so I expect it'll work the same way for the starting ship and locked to the Lobi/future DSC ships in the same manner.
  • he11bladehe11blade Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I'm maxxed on inventory slots. Does this mean the additional slots go to waste or do I get 12 more? Has anyone heard an official response?
    f86cqFw.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

Isn't it pretty much like the commando tactical vest thing already in the game?
    Which is why we have the Klingon Defence Force and the Romulan Republic in STO, right?

No... pretty sure we have the KDF originally because of the percieved mandatory opposing factions in MMOs. Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde. Romulans are comparable to WoW's Pandarens, which can choose to join one of the existing factions, and the Jem'Hadar might as well be comparable to Death Knights, having the accelerated start.

Even Elder Scrolls Online has factions, even though they've made them less relevant. I believe the only relevant thing involving factions right now is the PvP elements in ESO. STO can maintain the "opposing factions" stuff while continuing with the story because of PvP. However... the state of PvP in game is poor. Its in tatters with all the unbalanced shtako and there really isn't anywhere to practice it either. Ker'rat is open for ganking, the queues are unwelcoming to rookies... in general PvP is not rookie friendly. At all.

Quite honestly, what's the point of new factions that ends up being the Starfleet all over again?

Might as well as just have one Starfleet faction, with a selection of what origin you want (i.e. TOS Starfleet) in the tutorial, rather than take up separate slots in Character Creation?

Well, the biggest point of a new faction that ends up being starfleet all over again is that new players can choose what era now that they want to start from.

- If they choose to go with Discovery era, then they get to play through a storyline that takes place at a time that there's still a currently running TV show with and see a familiar character from that timeline.
    - If they choose to go with TOS era, they will skip the academy and start already on a starship that is near the point Kirk's 5 year mission would be coming to the end and experience content that looks cheesy by today's standards, but was a marvel to look at in the 60s.
    - If they choose to go with the 25th century era, then they will start out in the modern time of the game's setting.

The point of the separate character slots is so that you can make more than one character if you so choose. Remember each faction also has a number of species to select from. Someone could want to do a human Discovery Captain 1st, then go back and do a Vulcan captain next, or even go bold and create an alien using an alien gen creator.

The only other starfleet start that has alien gen is the 25th century (since the devs wanted to have TOS with the founding species but stick as close to TOS as possible with very few aliens ever seen in TOS as Starfleet).
    People are just as curious to see how the 'other side' would view events during the same time era, let alone the ships used, and how it would tie into the current events of STO.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see this happen too, but there are obvious problems that end up coming up in trying to make it happen:

- DIscovery, has it's own issues with the Klingons and the Romulans in particular.
    • Klingons in this time period we know have gone from being united as an Empire to a large scale civil war between 24 houses. Each house obviously has their own particular plan that they'd like to see enacted for the sake of the Empire. While they all unite following T'Kuvma's call following his death, that unification was rather fragile and once Kol of the House of Kor was defeated, they fell apart and started competing to see whom could take the most territory from the Federation. It took the threat of a bomb that would literally destroy the central power of the Klingon Empire for a new individual to come up into power and bring the Empire back into a united front. It would make for a great exploration of Discovery from the point of the Klingons, but without knowing what it was that each great house would have been up to, there really wouldn't be much for them to provide here.
    • Romulans in this period of time are still relatively isolating themselves from the Federation. We're essentially still around 11 years before they officially get to be seen face to face by the Federation, so any contact that would go on would have to be non-visual to keep to canon. Not to mention, we run into the problem that we don't even know anything about them between Enterprise and TOS so that is also a big issue.
    - TOS: Klingons and Romulans appeared so little in TOS that it's hard for the Devs justifying any particular development time towards either of these factions in the time of TOS and also provide backstory for them.
    • Romulans in the TOS era in canon were all from the Romulan Star Empire and thus would find it problematic to fit in with 2409 Romulans, whom are part of a Republic rather than an Empire, especially given the fact that the Romulan Star Empire they know is supposed to be their enemy.
    • Klingons as we know in canon were essentially made opposite of the Federation that instead of diplomatic solutions leading to the acquisition of goods, the Klingons would go and conquer places if they could not get what they wanted through fear first. Although later series would greatly expand on the Klingon culture, we know that they did not bother to do anything for the TOS Klingons basically because prior to Discovery, we had honestly no clue what had happened to the Empire between Enterprise and TOS, so there would have to be a lot of guesswork. Making them fit in with 2409 would be no problem since like the TOS Feds, Klingons are coming from being enemies in one era to being enemies in another.
    Edit: While doing the dishes, I remembered Closed Beta, and they introduced Klingons into the build. It was CBS Marketing who decided that STO needed PvP, and most people they surveyed said they were more for PvPing than PvE/story arcs. Which is why the main focus was relying on PvP (like the old maps where you and your faction fought opposing players from the other faction, like HALO; very basic stuff) to level up.

You got to unlock the faction after reaching level 6 as a Starfleet Officer.

It ended up being a guarantee to have a very limited Klingon faction, not in just what you can do, but in size as well. Especially as it became rinse-and-repeat.

Thank goodness they expanded the Klingons into a more complete faction, I've made quite a few Klingons after that.

Everytime a new faction comes in, like AoY, there's an interest in making those characters. It brings in more characters/players into the faction that it's being fed into. Which, with AoY and AoD, that's Starfleet.

This is part of the reason players who are fans of Klingons and Romulans are feeling shortchanged in STO.

AoY and AoD both do have the similarity that they are largely focused in on Starfleet. However, you also have to remember that Star Trek as a whole has always been favoring doing the Federation/Starfleet stories since that is what was established by Gene Roddenberry. It wasn't until TNG that Klingons and Romulans got more attention placed on them and even then, the attention wasn't as big as it was with the Federation story focus.

AoY: What happened to Noye? What caused the inverse temporal damage link between him as the Envoy and Daniels? The Envoy and his version of the Temporal Alliance had tried to ally with enemies of the Federation to put a stop to what lead to the death of Clauda. This is where he would be tied into the tutorial mission of the Klingon and/or Romulan AoY characters.

And in the reworked tutorial for Klingons, there was Na'kuhl agents that tried to convince the Klingon Empire to help them, with advanced knowledge. It was turned down, and the agents dealt with, but the information was gladly kept.

Yet, in the AoY tutorial, the Envoy worked with both the Romulan and Klingon Empires. Which would make a great complimentary tutorial for the Agents of Yesterday from their factions. The Envoy could enlist the players as agents of his own to help convince their respective faction to work on his side. Towards the end of the tutorial, they could be approached by temporal agent (great time to invite Roxann Dawson to reprise her role as B'Elanna Torres :smiley: , for the Romulans, it would be ironic if it was Sela, post-Survivor, who acted on behalf of the Romulans, esp. considering her mother Tasha Yar time travelling lead to Sela's birth).

Thanks to the Delta Recruit system, the Klingons and Romulans have established Temporal Agent contacts, so that wouldn't be a problem for AoY characters of those factions. And the AoY info kiosks/mini-missions can be used for the Klingon and Romulan version, with new information making it worthwhile for those who played the AoY recruitment event to want to try out the other AoY factions.

Klingons, like Starfleet, used hand held communicators (Klingons can use the kind shown in the TOS movies), so there wouldn't take much to reuse that emote for transporting. While communicators for Romulans, as far as I can remember wasn't shown, it would most likely be something closer to Starfleet's rather than the klunky Klingon version. Hmm, I should watch The Search for Spock again. I don't remember if the Klingon's communicator doubles as a tricorder or not.

The groundwork is already laid down, thanks to Star Fleet's AoY, along with assets that was used in the temporal Doomsday (Romulan) and the final mission (Klingon).

Federation-allied Romulans and Jem'Hadar can now use AoY ships, but those allied to the Klingons miss out on those ships, except for the 31st Century Ships. It would be great to have a T1 Romulan Bird-of-Prey and T1 D-7 Klingon Battlecruiser to match the T1 Constitution (maybe the three of them could be made scalable like the new T1 Walker-class ship), as well as other ships, such as the Romulan version of the Battlecruiser that the Klingons gave them in exchange of the cloaking technology (oh, wait, that was retconned in Discovery...), raptors, etc.

Then there would be T6 26th Century versions of the ships that Klingons and Romulans would have of those ships. *sigh* So much content to be had.... :smiley:

Romulans in the TOS era were supposed to be in transition. The Romulans were a thinly veiled reference to the end of the Roman Republic, when they transitioned to an empire but not everyone in it was on the same page or willing to give up on the old ways. That theme was rather popular back in the '60s so it is not surprising Star Trek followed the trend, especially with Vietnam and the worry over the domino theory providing relevance to that kind of story. Just look how Mark Lenard's character acted and how he and the old centurion were so different in outlook from Decius (who acted more like the TNG era Romulans). The same is true of Joanne Linville's character, her talks with Spock hint at the changes the Empire was going through though she tried to gloss over them in trying to get him to defect. The TOS Romulans would probably find the STO Romulan Republic more to their liking than the backbiting, personal power gathering Decius-like ones the Empire was composed of by the time of TNG.

As for what TOS Romulans use for communicators, Linville's character talked to her wrist at one point when she was wearing the mesh uniform so they probably used something like the wrist units that Kirk and company used at one point in the movies (and STO Romulans use), or maybe it was closer to a mic built into the uniform sleeve with a communicator box in the belt and an earwig or something since in another scene when Linville's character was in civilian dress she was not wearing a wrist unit of any sort but started to raise her wrist when cornered like she was going for it but remembered she was not wearing it. On the other hand, TOS Romulans used Klingon disrupters as sidearms (or at least Linville's squadron did) so there is justification for using Klingon communicators too (maybe they used a mix of both, the female commander stressed how poor a people they are and it may be a case of units using whatever they can get.

One interesting note is that they apparently had agents in the Federation in the 2250s or some other way of acquiring small bits of Federation tech since the computer on the female commander's desk used a standard Cage-era MARS aerial image display without the gooseneck.

If Cryptic ever does TOS era Klingons it would be a nice touch to use the Klingon "flame shimmer" transporter effects rather than the "Peter Pan" sparkle of the Federation ones of the time.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    he11blade wrote: »
    I'm maxxed on inventory slots. Does this mean the additional slots go to waste or do I get 12 more? Has anyone heard an official response?

Just buy the pack on character with not "maxed" inevntory slots - like the new coming Discovery toon…
    Personally I think I will buy it on my Temporal Agent Recruit
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Trolls moved from living under bridges to their mothers' basement in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some trolls still live under bridges according to a documentary from College Humor.

:)https://youtube.com/watch?v=FMEe7JqBgvg
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    I am a bit peeved, about this Age of Discovery Starter Pack … So when I created a new Age of Discovery Character, I tell myself, "ok I have the 750Z let be pick it up on this new Character", but I guess Cryptic Locks out the item the tutorial. (Why?) Well in one of the tutorial I get stuck in the scenery (don’t try to jump onto of a lifting gate) To fix this issue I logout and log back in with one of my mains.

So logging with my main, I look at the c-store to see if the Age of Discovery Starter Pack is available (not grayed out) sure enough on this character it isn’t, and totally forgetting the bit of that the
    • 12 Additional Inventory Slots
    • 1x Large (150,000) Experience Bonus Pool

are locked to the charter opening the box. Well my main was maxed on EXP so that it worthless now, and I already have 138 Inventory on all my toons, now 150 Inventory on one, but not the one I need.

How about in the future, don’t lock out Starter Pack from the tutorial! And if someone does open them at least give them the ability to transfer the items to another toon. It is not the one-offs the annoys me, just the assumptions on behalf of Cryptic to auto open everything.

• captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I am a bit peeved, about this Age of Discovery Starter Pack … So when I created a new Age of Discovery Character, I tell myself, "ok I have the 750Z let be pick it up on this new Character", but I guess Cryptic Locks out the item the tutorial. (Why?) Well in one of the tutorial I get stuck in the scenery (don’t try to jump onto of a lifting gate) To fix this issue I logout and log back in with one of my mains.

So logging with my main, I look at the c-store to see if the Age of Discovery Starter Pack is available (not grayed out) sure enough on this character it isn’t, and totally forgetting the bit of that the

are locked to the charter opening the box. Well my main was maxed on EXP so that it worthless now, and I already have 138 Inventory on all my toons, now 150 Inventory on one, but not the one I need.

How about in the future, don’t lock out Starter Pack from the tutorial! And if someone does open them at least give them the ability to transfer the items to another toon. It is not the one-offs the annoys me, just the assumptions on behalf of Cryptic to auto open everything.

This. I purchased the pack on my main with the intent on giving it to my Discovery character after I made one. But you can't because the box is character bound. This is ridiculous, and if this is how you're going to do things it needs to be made EXPLICITLY CLEAR, which it isn't. Why can't the initial pack be account bound? I've just been screwed out of 12 slots and an XP boost.
  • mrtoveymrtovey Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    i wish i could play... the damn launcher keeps crashing on patch

This. I purchased the pack on my main with the intent on giving it to my Discovery character after I made one. But you can't because the box is character bound. This is ridiculous, and if this is how you're going to do things it needs to be made EXPLICITLY CLEAR, which it isn't. Why can't the initial pack be account bound? I've just been screwed out of 12 slots and an XP boost.

Um, guys this was explicitly stated in the starter pack blog.
    The experience bonus and inventory slots may only be claimed once, and those items will be bound to the character that first claims it.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

The experience bonus and inventory slots may only be claimed once, and those items will be bound to the character that first claims it.

Define "claim" and "it". Does "claim" mean opened or purchased? Is "it" the pack or the boost items that you get when you open the pack? It's very poorly worded. It should say "bound to the character that first purchases the pack". Make the damned thing account bound and you eliminate this issue. But no, that would be too easy.
    edited October 2018

Define "claim" and "it". Does "claim" mean opened or purchased? Is "it" the pack or the boost items that you get when you open the pack? It's very poorly worded. It should say "bound to the character that first purchases the pack". Make the damned thing account bound and you eliminate this issue. But no, that would be too easy.

Claim: buy
    It: the starter pack

In context I thought it was very straight forward. Sorry it wasn't for you, but if you read through this and found ambiguity (easy to be aware of) I would have held off on buying the pack until other folks were able to provide confirmation. That or claimed the pack on the character it mattered most, on the off chance that the most limiting of possible interpretations was the correct one.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    I am very disappointed to find out that I CANNOT reclaim the ground weapons multiple times for my away team? BAD MOVE!
    makes me regret purchasing that pack and wasting zen.
    And the issue is compounded by the fact you cannot buy the pack on new Discovery characters until you're out of the tutorial. So it's easy for someone to think "oh, I'll buy it on another character and move it". Which you can't. Because the unopened pack is inexplicably character bound.

In context I thought it was very straight forward. Sorry it wasn't for you, but if you read through this and found ambiguity (easy to be aware of) I would have held off on buying the pack until other folks were able to provide confirmation. That or claimed the pack on the character it mattered most, on the off chance that the most limiting of possible interpretations was the correct one.

Claim: open
    It: the two items discussed

See the ambiguity?

And unless one suspects foul play, one would have no reason to believe things would work differently than expected. Buy a pack, move it to whichever character you choose (or save it for one that you haven't made yet), open it, and claim all the character-bound items it contains.
    tomilak wrote: »
    I am very disappointed to find out that I CANNOT reclaim the ground weapons multiple times for my away team? BAD MOVE!
    makes me regret purchasing that pack and wasting zen.

Great, more nonsense with this damned pack.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

ummm claim does NOT equal buy

there are packs in game that you buy and you dont get a single item dropped into your inventory. it just opens up the option for you to claim them in the store pages. and even if they do drop... it is account bound like ship tokens, and not bound to char. they could of easily dropped the inventory & xp as different account bound boxes you need to open.