test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    It sounds fantastic, though considering it has a ship in it is no doubt priced well beyond what I and a lot of other FtP players can afford.

Introductory price is 750 Zen. Maybe a week or so of trading DL for Zen depending on the number of alts you got working Admiralty. Full price is going to be 1500, which is the price of 1 T3 ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

Well, it's pretty easy and cheap to craft these yourself. I have sets crafted for each level as my alts advance, space and ground, and keep them in my account bank. They use the sets as they level and them switch them out as needed finally getting enough experience to use my account Aegis set I made with my Temporal Alt ages ago. Easy peasy.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde.

uh, no...despite what some think, WoW was NOT the first MMO in existence, nor was it the first to have opposing factions​​

(offensive/objectionable material redacted) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited October 2018
    I am well aware that WoW was not the first Shadow. Its the first I'm aware of with opposing factions. I don't know if Everquest has 'em. But most people will be more familiar with WoW, and that one's been around for a LONG time.

(response to objectionable material redacted) - darkbladejk
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (response to objectionable material redacted) - darkbladejk
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Which is why we have the Klingon Defence Force and the Romulan Republic in STO, right?

No... pretty sure we have the KDF originally because of the percieved mandatory opposing factions in MMOs. Which is a common practice dating all the way back to WoW with the Alliance vs Horde. Romulans are comparable to WoW's Pandarens, which can choose to join one of the existing factions, and the Jem'Hadar might as well be comparable to Death Knights, having the accelerated start.

Even Elder Scrolls Online has factions, even though they've made them less relevant. I believe the only relevant thing involving factions right now is the PvP elements in ESO. STO can maintain the "opposing factions" stuff while continuing with the story because of PvP. However... the state of PvP in game is poor. Its in tatters with all the unbalanced shtako and there really isn't anywhere to practice it either. Ker'rat is open for ganking, the queues are unwelcoming to rookies... in general PvP is not rookie friendly. At all.

Quite honestly, what's the point of new factions that ends up being the Starfleet all over again?

Might as well as just have one Starfleet faction, with a selection of what origin you want (i.e. TOS Starfleet) in the tutorial, rather than take up separate slots in Character Creation?

Well, the biggest point of a new faction that ends up being starfleet all over again is that new players can choose what era now that they want to start from.

- If they choose to go with Discovery era, then they get to play through a storyline that takes place at a time that there's still a currently running TV show with and see a familiar character from that timeline.
    - If they choose to go with TOS era, they will skip the academy and start already on a starship that is near the point Kirk's 5 year mission would be coming to the end and experience content that looks cheesy by today's standards, but was a marvel to look at in the 60s.
    - If they choose to go with the 25th century era, then they will start out in the modern time of the game's setting.

The point of the separate character slots is so that you can make more than one character if you so choose. Remember each faction also has a number of species to select from. Someone could want to do a human Discovery Captain 1st, then go back and do a Vulcan captain next, or even go bold and create an alien using an alien gen creator.

The only other starfleet start that has alien gen is the 25th century (since the devs wanted to have TOS with the founding species but stick as close to TOS as possible with very few aliens ever seen in TOS as Starfleet).
    People are just as curious to see how the 'other side' would view events during the same time era, let alone the ships used, and how it would tie into the current events of STO.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see this happen too, but there are obvious problems that end up coming up in trying to make it happen:

- DIscovery, has it's own issues with the Klingons and the Romulans in particular.
    • Klingons in this time period we know have gone from being united as an Empire to a large scale civil war between 24 houses. Each house obviously has their own particular plan that they'd like to see enacted for the sake of the Empire. While they all unite following T'Kuvma's call following his death, that unification was rather fragile and once Kol of the House of Kor was defeated, they fell apart and started competing to see whom could take the most territory from the Federation. It took the threat of a bomb that would literally destroy the central power of the Klingon Empire for a new individual to come up into power and bring the Empire back into a united front. It would make for a great exploration of Discovery from the point of the Klingons, but without knowing what it was that each great house would have been up to, there really wouldn't be much for them to provide here.
    • Romulans in this period of time are still relatively isolating themselves from the Federation. We're essentially still around 11 years before they officially get to be seen face to face by the Federation, so any contact that would go on would have to be non-visual to keep to canon. Not to mention, we run into the problem that we don't even know anything about them between Enterprise and TOS so that is also a big issue.
    - TOS: Klingons and Romulans appeared so little in TOS that it's hard for the Devs justifying any particular development time towards either of these factions in the time of TOS and also provide backstory for them.
    • Romulans in the TOS era in canon were all from the Romulan Star Empire and thus would find it problematic to fit in with 2409 Romulans, whom are part of a Republic rather than an Empire, especially given the fact that the Romulan Star Empire they know is supposed to be their enemy.
    • Klingons as we know in canon were essentially made opposite of the Federation that instead of diplomatic solutions leading to the acquisition of goods, the Klingons would go and conquer places if they could not get what they wanted through fear first. Although later series would greatly expand on the Klingon culture, we know that they did not bother to do anything for the TOS Klingons basically because prior to Discovery, we had honestly no clue what had happened to the Empire between Enterprise and TOS, so there would have to be a lot of guesswork. Making them fit in with 2409 would be no problem since like the TOS Feds, Klingons are coming from being enemies in one era to being enemies in another.
    Edit: While doing the dishes, I remembered Closed Beta, and they introduced Klingons into the build. It was CBS Marketing who decided that STO needed PvP, and most people they surveyed said they were more for PvPing than PvE/story arcs. Which is why the main focus was relying on PvP (like the old maps where you and your faction fought opposing players from the other faction, like HALO; very basic stuff) to level up.

You got to unlock the faction after reaching level 6 as a Starfleet Officer.

It ended up being a guarantee to have a very limited Klingon faction, not in just what you can do, but in size as well. Especially as it became rinse-and-repeat.

Thank goodness they expanded the Klingons into a more complete faction, I've made quite a few Klingons after that.

Everytime a new faction comes in, like AoY, there's an interest in making those characters. It brings in more characters/players into the faction that it's being fed into. Which, with AoY and AoD, that's Starfleet.

This is part of the reason players who are fans of Klingons and Romulans are feeling shortchanged in STO.

AoY and AoD both do have the similarity that they are largely focused in on Starfleet. However, you also have to remember that Star Trek as a whole has always been favoring doing the Federation/Starfleet stories since that is what was established by Gene Roddenberry. It wasn't until TNG that Klingons and Romulans got more attention placed on them and even then, the attention wasn't as big as it was with the Federation story focus.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Where be the mirror dsc uniforms?!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    It wasn't until TNG that Klingons and Romulans got more attention placed on them and even then, the attention wasn't as big as it was with the Federation story focus.

Further expanded on in DS9.
    thay8472 wrote: »

I bet 5 ECs on Anniversary mission, as we will be dealing with the ISS Discovery.
    It wasn't until TNG that Klingons and Romulans got more attention placed on them and even then, the attention wasn't as big as it was with the Federation story focus.

I bet 5 ECs on Anniversary mission, as we will be dealing with the ISS Discovery.

Hmmm ... Captain Killy Bridge Officer? :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Probably to be released later on, perhaps for the 9th anniversary of the game.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Im hopin for mu uniforms as well... but really want the mu empress outfit with sword and shield wall kit module
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    muzzball wrote: »
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    EDIT: We've updated a paragraph in the blog to make the rewards more clear. XP Boost and Inventory slots are bound to the first character who claims them. Tardigrade and Weapons are reclaimable. The ship is an account unlock.

I've never seen that ship in the show (since I stopped watching it), but it does look very nice, resembles the Miranda, so I like that.
    Thanks for clarifying. Since the pet and ship are account unlock, I may pick this up. The scaling ship mechanic will be nice to test.

Dude, the Walker class is litterally the first ship you see in the show: the USS Shenzhou NCC1227 (also, double check the registry in the screenie).

Oh lol. I forgot about that one. That's the ship the show should have taken place on.
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »
    Looks like good value, but it hold nothing interesting for me.

Decent levelling ground weapons for all future toons is quite a thing worth the 750 on its own.

I just use all my event gear. Like the sompek stuff. It comes auto-leveling.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Pretty sure we're going to shoot her.... I know I'd rather have her as a BOFF too.

Now that I think about it... Mirror Leeta's outfit was Lobi…. Maybe maybe not, we'll see. I love it if we could use the Terran Mirror uniform crossfaction. Just imagine dressing an Orion like Killy. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Pretty sure we're going to shoot her.... I know I'd rather have her as a BOFF too.

Now that I think about it... Mirror Leeta's outfit was Lobi…. Maybe maybe not, we'll see. I love it if we could use the Terran Mirror uniform crossfaction. Just imagine dressing an Orion like Killy. :D

TRIBBLE that ... I want to side with Killy! TRIBBLE the Federation ... I'll happily defect to the Terran Empire.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Netflix did NOT pay for Discovery season 1.

What they did do, was pay to EXTEND their deal with CBS for the rights to show the ENTIRE catalogue of shows, from TOS to DSC as it was due to run out in 2017 anyway.

The money they paid allowed CBS say that the show was profitable before a single episode had been shown, it is a CBS made show and all Netflix did was pay for the distribution rights to show Discovery globally, they did not pay for production, cast, crew, etc etc etc...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who pays attention to the actual facts! Get's tiring seeing the same rubbish from people who will not accept that Discovery has been successful!

Yall really need to read more, 1 I never mentioned that dumb lawsuit except to mock it. 2 I never said TRIBBLE wasnt successful, I said it under performed compared to expectations, 3 go look it up the amount netflix paid for the distro right to TRIBBLE was more than the cost of s1 TRIBBLE. All this was public record. There are also plenty of articles on how netflix wasn't thrilled with the returns they got after spending that much

We get it - you hate the show. You need to express that in every forum. We get that you need to jump on every game announcement and state your displeasure with Discovery.

*sigh*

So here's a thing - can you point to ANY article that states categorically that Netflix are unhappy with Discovery, and wish they didn't have it? Links please - not rumours, links. Because having used various search engines and search terms I can't find the articles you are talking about. Not saying they don't exist, just saying - link 'em, or shut up. Here's a link for you: https://trekmovie.com/2017/12/12/star-trek-discovery-one-of-netflixs-most-watched-together-toronto-studio-expanding/ - according to this, Discovery is the forth most watched show on Netflix world wide.

Netflix paid for the distribution rights to a whole host of CBS shows - Discovery included. Discovery had already been funded by this time and was being made. Whether Netflix picked up the international rights or not, it was going to happen. This is the flaw in the argument that "Netflix paid for the show to be made." They signed a contract to distribute CBS shows worldwide, one of those shows included Discovery. It also included shows like The Big Bang Theory, and How I met Your Mother: (https://whats-on-netflix.com/top-lists/best-cbs-shows-netflix/. Using your argument you could state that Netflix paid for the entire new season of The Big Bang Theory, $120 million covers the budget for that show.

So yes, we all "read more" - facts as happens.

*drops mic and walks away*
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    The only pack I have no interest in buying with my zen and I have had 100k zen unused for some time now. I will just wait until next anniversaries ship pack.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Hmm, quite possible but I wouldn't rule out Cryptic holding onto her for a Killy v. Empress Leeta battle for power episode in the 25c Mirror Universe. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    We get it - you hate the show. You need to express that in every forum. We get that you need to jump on every game announcement and state your displeasure with Discovery.

*snip*
    can you point to ANY article that states categorically that Netflix are unhappy with Discovery*snip*
    Actually I dont hate it, you're putting words in my mouth now. I hate the trumpons and their ships, and several choices the people behind TRIBBLE made. But the show itself had a better s1 than any trek show did.

yes I can, no Im not going to waste my time with you anymore. Why? you're so full of it you cant see anything past your own drivel. This is all wildly off topic anyway and serving no purpose but to feed your need to argue. I said my bit, you said yours, lets move on with our day. It's pretty obvious neither of us is gonna budge and we both have all the internet to call upon for facts to back it up. If you can't find em, well Im not here to teach you how to use search engines.
    Hmm, quite possible but I wouldn't rule out Cryptic holding onto her for a Killy v. Empress Leeta battle for power episode in the 25c Mirror Universe. ;)

I think my underpants just catapulted across the living room ... that would be awesome!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    Except ISS Discovery was apparently destroyed, hence why USS Discovery's return was a shock.
    Except ISS Discovery was apparently destroyed, hence why USS Discovery's return was a shock.

Maybe the crew bailed onto a 25c ship?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    Possible. Would mean more Terrans coming at some point.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I just want the MU uniforms, they would be nice as a mission unlock
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      azrael605 wrote: »
      Like I already said, I obsessively follow Trek related news...

I remember seeing articles stating there were "rumours" Netflix were deeply unhappy about Discovery, but those turned out to be, well, rumours. Netflix tend to keep very quiet viewing figures and the like. It was nice to find some and share!

I just want the MU uniforms, they would be nice as a mission unlock

Those uniforms were fantastic - I hope we get them as a mission unlock, or even on the Lobi store.

I wouldn't put it past Killy and some of her crew to have fled the ship and be out in the universe somewhere. She wouldn't be the first MU captain to abandon ship to save her own skin.
      People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
      I remember seeing articles stating there were "rumours" Netflix were deeply unhappy about Discovery, but those turned out to be, well, rumours. Netflix tend to keep very quiet viewing figures and the like. It was nice to find some and share!

They'd be higher if they could show Discovery in the US...
    • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      edited October 2018
      So, here I am looking in the C-Store, ready to buy, and where the heck is this?

Answering my own question: not out yet. So much for the "don't delay, buy today!" tactics in the posting.
      Post edited by jbmonroe on
      boldly-watched.png
      They'd be higher if they could show Discovery in the US...

You guys are at least getting the new mini-episodes. The rest of the world isn't seeing them! But I agree, I think CBS will let Netflix show Discovery in the USA after a time.

jbmonroe wrote: »
      So, here I am looking in the C-Store, ready to buy, and where the heck is this?

Possibly not going to be in the C-Store until the 9th October. Can't wait for it myself

• terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

Those uniforms were fantastic - I hope we get them as a mission unlock, or even on the Lobi store.

I rather them be c-store purchase rather than lobi. Otherwise it cost 6x as much to gain enough lobi to unlock on multiple characters. For that reason alone it will probably be another lobi box.​​
      tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
      "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
      "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
      #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes