test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the Ship the Game Forgot

1246744

Comments

  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,958 Arc User
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,958 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I'm still dreaming of a T6 heavy cruiser/constellation/dakota/cheyenne/etc...

    Same here, yo.
    Wonder if the Contellation would get reskinned, as all the TMP era stuff did?

    I believe that depends completely on whether the artist woud get the neccessary time for it. (Even if it's done on Thomas @thomasthecat own time, the schedule could be too short). The model itself should already have decent enough quality, being one of the last Tier 5 ships to be released before the Tier 6 ships arrived, but adding the new TMP materials is still work.

    I'd imagine that personal preference creeps in to the 'artist doing it on their own time' thing too. Artist likes the Excelsior class? Excelsior class gets quality pass.....

    Well, the Excelsior got a quality pass long after its T6 version was released, however. So even if an artist actually totally loves a ship, he or she might not have the time to do the pass on release of a ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,789 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    lnblade wrote: »
    Honestly I'd rather have a T6 Oberth especially if it comes with a Phase Cloak. The Oberth is a unique and interesting design IMO while the Nova just looks like a baby Sovereign. That said, I hope Reyan gets his ship. With his luck though, it will be announced the week that STO shuts down.
    Ok, but what purpose would the phase cloak serve? Letting you travel though planets and asteroids is cool but irrelevant in STO, since they're not real obstacles on any maps. I guess you could have it give the ship a bonus to damage if you decloak after passing through something, but again there's not much opportunity for that with the way maps are designed. So what would make it special and useful enough to differentiate it from standard cloaking devices in the game?

    Simple. Increase your damage resistance by X while cloaked. Since you are slightly out of phase, you aren't as susceptible to damage as you would otherwise be.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,538 Arc User
    The T6 Nova does seem to be the one ship that although it has been repeatedly begged for on the forum, the devs just seemingly have a deaf ear for those who've long made the request?

    Very much so.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    I'm sure we will see the Nova quiet soon, if i had to guess it be the next 2 ship pack. But then, i could be wrong.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,538 Arc User
    I'm sure we will see the Nova quiet soon, if i had to guess it be the next 2 ship pack. But then, i could be wrong.

    I wish I could share that optimism - sadly, realistically, it's very unlikely to appear in the near future.

    The focus has shifted to Discovery, and there'll be new ships coming with the new content. I don't think for one moment they'll take the emphasis off the new (DSC) ships now.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm sure we will see the Nova quiet soon, if i had to guess it be the next 2 ship pack. But then, i could be wrong.

    I wish I could share that optimism - sadly, realistically, it's very unlikely to appear in the near future.

    The focus has shifted to Discovery, and there'll be new ships coming with the new content. I don't think for one moment they'll take the emphasis off the new (DSC) ships now.

    We will see i think there is plenty of folks who dislike Discovery and don't care for that, just hope they want to keep them happy as well.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I was a fan of an endgame level Nova since early development, back when Perpetual held the license. I even had a forum signature image I made showing how much I liked the ship.

    x5DOEeA.png
    18EOWbV.jpg

    They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,538 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:

    Hm - been making posts/threads/reference to this for over four years already...
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    I admit I am loving the idea of the T6 Hegh'ta. It is one of the most beautiful ships in the game, especially with the Honor Guard shield.

    A Sci-BoP would pair nicely with the Nova. Add a Rom, (Mogai variant?) and you have a tac/sci hybrid 3-pack.

    I know there is little love for sci ships by the devs. 'They don't sell well' is the mantra I hear. But few people really know how to play sci ships well these days because they aren't the DPS queens they were in season 2.

    An emphasis on team play as opposed to DPS will change all of that, but so long as the metric is, "How much damage did I do," support class builds and ships will never be popular, no matter that they can double the DPS output of their team. Once you begin to credit the sci ships for the extra damage their teammates enjoy, their DPS numbers will go up, and suddenly support class ships and support builds will become popular.

    That one adjustment would make Sci Ships fly off the shelves. Especially T6 Novas.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,705 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:

    How so? Still no Cardassian faction even though it was voted number 2 below Romulans in a official Cryptic poll. Got a few Cardassian ships in a expansion centered around DS9...more like a no brainer than a victory :P
    #WithoutRespectWeReject
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,538 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:

    How so? Still no Cardassian faction even though it was voted number 2 below Romulans in a official Cryptic poll. Got a few Cardassian ships in a expansion centered around DS9...more like a no brainer than a victory :P

    Yeah.... polls are pretty meaningless to be honest.

    I refer you to the first post of this thread. The Nova class won a 'which ship would you like to buy/fly at T6' poll with a 2% majority.
    However evidence supports the fact that they clearly couldn't have cared less about the result.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,789 Arc User
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:

    You need to have a LARGE percentage of posters posting spam. It doesn't work when you only have a few people spamming.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well you need to spam the forums it worked for those scummy cardassians :lol:

    How so? Still no Cardassian faction even though it was voted number 2 below Romulans in a official Cryptic poll. Got a few Cardassian ships in a expansion centered around DS9...more like a no brainer than a victory :P

    Yeah.... polls are pretty meaningless to be honest.

    Especially unscientific twitter polls.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    Instead of arguing why segments of society suck, why not present a case for actually implementing a feature you like? Any thread dominated by Cryptic sucks / Cryptic is stupid posts will be summarily ignored by Cryptic. Denigration is the certain path to failure.

    I think Nova has an opportunity to be a tac/sci hybrid or a full sci at T6, both ship types being exceedingly rare at that tier.

    As a tac/sci the LtCmdr Tac with Cmdr Sci BOff station creates formidable offensive potential, and with a split of tac and sci consoles, both can be supported.

    As a full Sci the Nova could have a universal Ensign BOff allowing a bit of flexibility in how the build is used, but still be an awesome science vessel.

    Add in a sci Raptor or BoP and a sci warbird, all three of which are exceedingly rare, and you have a three pack.

    The only thing left is to somehow pay for developer time. I know the fix for that: develop a parser that adequately assigns the bonus damage every ship on a team receives when the sci guy starts doing his thing and suddenly everyone will want to play sci ships. Sci ships even now can be effective solo combatants, but their true strength lies in their ability to increase team damage output.

    Once you get a parser that recognizes that and counts it toward the sci ship's DPS, sci ships of every kind will fly off the shelf, and a T6 Nova 3-pack could lead the way.

    Three variations I see:
    Nova upgrade = Sci heavy Tac light
    Hegh'ta upgrade = Tac heavy Sci light
    Mogai upgrade = Balanced Sci/Tac hybrid
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,705 Arc User
    I'm sure we will see the Nova quiet soon, if i had to guess it be the next 2 ship pack. But then, i could be wrong.

    I doubt it...I think they will be focusing on 25th century Discovery based designs for the foreseeable future...we have 2 months till the winter event...then we have another month or so till the anniversary event.

    I just don't see much work on things that don't involve Discovery or special events till 2019.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »
    Instead of arguing why segments of society suck, why not present a case for actually implementing a feature you like? Any thread dominated by Cryptic sucks / Cryptic is stupid posts will be summarily ignored by Cryptic. Denigration is the certain path to failure.

    I think Nova has an opportunity to be a tac/sci hybrid or a full sci at T6, both ship types being exceedingly rare at that tier.

    As a tac/sci the LtCmdr Tac with Cmdr Sci BOff station creates formidable offensive potential, and with a split of tac and sci consoles, both can be supported.

    As a full Sci the Nova could have a universal Ensign BOff allowing a bit of flexibility in how the build is used, but still be an awesome science vessel.

    Add in a sci Raptor or BoP and a sci warbird, all three of which are exceedingly rare, and you have a three pack.

    The only thing left is to somehow pay for developer time. I know the fix for that: develop a parser that adequately assigns the bonus damage every ship on a team receives when the sci guy starts doing his thing and suddenly everyone will want to play sci ships. Sci ships even now can be effective solo combatants, but their true strength lies in their ability to increase team damage output.

    Once you get a parser that recognizes that and counts it toward the sci ship's DPS, sci ships of every kind will fly off the shelf, and a T6 Nova 3-pack could lead the way.

    Three variations I see:
    Nova upgrade = Sci heavy Tac light
    Hegh'ta upgrade = Tac heavy Sci light
    Mogai upgrade = Balanced Sci/Tac hybrid

    I think it is too early to rehash ships that have been made T6 already. Especially since the romulans still have the ha'nom that can be used for a T6 sci based ship.

    Ha'nom sucks... :p

    But seriously, Ha'nom is a fat, slow, clumsy barge compared to almost anything except even fatter, slower, clumsier warbirds. Romulans need a tac/sci warbird instead of another cruiser with a new console. The D'd variants cover that role nicely, thank you.

    Nova is a small, nimble science vessel. Hegh'ta is a small, nimble BoP. The Romulan ship in this 3-pack needs the same traits. That's why I picked Mogai. It's a torp-boat by design. It's the perfect candidate for a T6 Romulan Science Vessel.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    I'd be good with that, Patrick, but they all have to be Sci ships with Sensor Analysis and Subsystem Targeting.

    A long time ago, right after the Dyson Destroyers came out, I did a write-up on the Joint Alliance Scout Project I had envisioned that used the T2 hulls. I'll see if I can find it.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    Cold, I don't mean for them to butcher your favorite line of ships. I mean to give the Klingons and Romulans another science vessel option. They don't have many.

    And the cloaking sci/tac hybrid has possibilities, including as a minelayer. Even losing a forward cannon, the raider is going to get a beefed up hull and better shields. Not all raiders need four DHC's, and few science ships have 3.

    But my suggestions and your critiques of them are out there, and there are many other ideas as well which could work. It seems to me that the Nova is a scrappy little ship, and it should have a place in endgame play. Maybe you have better suggestions as to what to do to create a Sci/Tac 3 pack.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,538 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I'd be good with that, Patrick, but they all have to be Sci ships with Sensor Analysis and Subsystem Targeting.

    A long time ago, right after the Dyson Destroyers came out, I did a write-up on the Joint Alliance Scout Project I had envisioned that used the T2 hulls. I'll see if I can find it.

    Unless they made the Nova a Scout ship (much like the Lukari Fleet ship). But have discussed that in previous posts/threads.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »
    Cold, I don't mean for them to butcher your favorite line of ships. I mean to give the Klingons and Romulans another science vessel option. They don't have many.

    And the cloaking sci/tac hybrid has possibilities, including as a minelayer. Even losing a forward cannon, the raider is going to get a beefed up hull and better shields. Not all raiders need four DHC's, and few science ships have 3.

    But my suggestions and your critiques of them are out there, and there are many other ideas as well which could work. It seems to me that the Nova is a scrappy little ship, and it should have a place in endgame play. Maybe you have better suggestions as to what to do to create a Sci/Tac 3 pack.

    Umm...they shouldn't. There is no need for the nova to packed with 2 other sci ships. And if that MUST be done, the KDF will need a house made ship and the romulans will either need a house made or the ha'nom.

    As for sci/tac line of ships that can cloak...once again the romulans actually have options here for these now. And not in the terrible DSD ships. The Surhuelh has 4 tac and 5 sci consoles. A native LTC tac slot with a LTC uni that can be used for more tactical goodness. There is no reason why you should take a ship of a different type and turn it into a science ship...EVER. Not even the mirror version of the ships do this. They just change things like seating and console slots. So at best, the morrigu with a more science bent should get a LTC native sci boff station and up to 4 sci console slots...while maintaining 5 tactical slots at fleet levels and of course CMDR level tact boff slot. What would I want in a more tac/sci hybrid morrigu? Change the boff seating so it is cmdr tac, lt tac, ltc sci, ltc uni/spec, ens eng. With 2 eng, 4 sci, 4(+1) tac console slots. Everything else stays the same. What spec seating? Well temporal would make the most sense for a ship that is gonna hybrid into science...but whatever really.

    The thing is, I don't want to change the Morrigu. Leave it alone, it's fine.

    I want a warbird that is small, nimble, and science heavy. Ha'nom is neither small, nor nimble. I suggested the Mogai as a place to begin, but other hulls come to mind as well. The Dehlan, for example.

    And if you don't like the idea of a sci/bop, use a raptor.

    Neither the Klingons nor the Romulans have many science options. That's fine, but it's also not easy to make more than one science vessel variation using the same hull. Why not use some of the older, 'obsolete' hulls in the science role? It harms nothing. And if you can't find an obsolete hull that has not already gotten the T6 treatment, why would it hurt anything to have a second variant of that ship upgraded as a science vessel?
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,489 Arc User
    One day we will get a T6 Nova with a science alpha strike console and a decent starship trait buffing exotic damage.... one day....

    Seriously, make it happen! ;)
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    they could even make the Nova a 2 or 3 pack. 2 pack a true Science ship the hull we saw in Equinox and a Tactical version the Rhode Island from VOY End Game. 3rd could be engineering again the Equinox hull in homage to how beaten up the ship was.
    maR4zDV.jpg

    Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
This discussion has been closed.