test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    No... doesn't look like there will be a Pre-Order option.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    sflZzQn.png

Congrats! It's a tardigrade BOff, I mean pet (oh, the vanity!)! :smiley:
    Ok, when it comes to the tardigrade, do we have to stick it on the hull of the ship to eat space spores when it's hungry? It's not as if there's a dedicated botanical bay on the Prototype-Scaling Walker Class vessel....
    edited October 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No... doesn't look like there will be a Pre-Order option.

Probably with the next part of the rolling out of this expansion will have another mini-pack on release. I don't know, there's still a few ships shown in the first season to release more of them in a larger pre-orderable expansion pack, but who knows there may be more to come in the second season?

Edit: Usually they release the Starter 'Pack' with the 'Expansion Pack', with the expansion rolled out for Discovery, maybe the main pack will be released later on (or sooner, with the Nimitz-class and all that).
    Post edited by captaincelestial on
    Klingons, Romulans, and Jem'Hadar....

Hmmm, I love the Federation and all, but please give them some of their own sub-factions (along the lines of AoY/AoD or new content).
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.
    But there are some that will quickly craft a full set of Mk II gear for a new toon at next to no cost and keep the best of it. I keep sets of leveling gear Mk II VR and up tucked away for future use on an alt. Combined with other account bound items it seems to have worked out well given the number of recruitment events over the years.

There may be others with and end-game plan in mind that upgrade certain items as they rank up as well. Probably not the target audience for this new ship though.

I'm glad they've come up with something innovative to make things easier for new players (there seems to be a lot of them atm). +1
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Not "Discovery toons", but "Discovery toon" - one per account only.
    But the ship and weapons are account unlock so for me it's still a win.
    Let's see: 12 inventory spaces cost 400 Zen (I think).
    Tier 1 ship cost 500, Tier 2 - 750, Tier 3 - 1000 and Tier 4 - 1500 Zen
    … and max sale I saw until now was 30% off.
    750 Zen is easy to make on exchange... so I'm getting the pack as soon as I can.

Edit:

mustrumridcully0 - I don't think it's possible to get a PvP match at that level (but I may be wrong there)

You are forgetting you get free ships when you rank up. So you can't put such value on that ship.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So when are we getting news about whatever T6 ships are going to be available?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Scaling starships, huh? I proposed that idea back in closed beta. If you wanted to fly a specific ship from level 1 to max level, you could buy from the C-store, an upgrade token that would increase the stats, console and bridge officer layout, to match the next tier for that class of ship. What we ended up getting was the current system of buy ships from the C-store to get the cool looks and gimmick consoles. That's cool though, if they finally have the ability to do scaling ships. Maybe it can be implemented across the board, for any ship, any faction.

Well I have the Zen saved up. Wondering what the next bigger pack will contain, and how much it will cost. I have a small amount of cash I can part with to boost my Zen, if I need some more.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • spanker#7592 spanker Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Is there any plans in the future too make this a full expansion ? I would hate to buy a starter pack and then see a full expansion come out afterwards.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I would use a Klingon version.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Is there any plans in the future too make this a full expansion ? I would hate to buy a starter pack and then see a full expansion come out afterwards.

If they continue what they did with Victory is Life then a reduction would likely be given off the full pack for buying the starter pack. I think they are holding other stuff back though to fill lockboxes so a bigger pack probably wont happen.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    ^^^^
    They've stated that they plan to release ST: D related content going forward (including adding new ST: D themed story missions) until the ST: D content is at 'Expansion' level. They said they thought about treating it like the other recent expansions they've done; but didn't want to hold everything and release in a year or so because ST: D is running and popular right now so they wanted to get ST: D content in as it's finished and ready.

TLDR - It will be expansion by peicemeal. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    because ST: D is running and popular right now so they wanted to get ST: D content in as it's finished and ready.

more like CBS is desperate to make it popular after netflix got annoyed at the returns and it failed to perform to expectations.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Discovery is the only reason we took out a netflix subscription and I am sure we are not the only one.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    because ST: D is running and popular right now so they wanted to get ST: D content in as it's finished and ready.

more like CBS is desperate to make it popular after netflix got annoyed at the returns and it failed to perform to expectations.

Yeah right, that's why Netflix after season one, took the deal to renew/continue with Season 2. Bottom Line: I ST: D hadn't been popular (and raised subscription numbers for BOTH Netflix internationally and CBSAA in the U.S., we wouldn't be seeing a second season, and CBS wouldn't be expanding their new Star trek offerings with a Picard based show.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Yeah right, that's why Netflix after season one, took the deal to renew/continue with Season 2. Bottom Line: I ST: D hadn't been popular (and raised subscription numbers for BOTH Netflix internationally and CBSAA in the U.S., we wouldn't be seeing a second season, and CBS wouldn't be expanding their new Star trek offerings with a Picard based show.

check your facts my friend... yes they renewed but they put a ton less money in than they did for s1 and had a very long sit down with CBS before they did
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited October 2018

check your facts my friend... yes they renewed but they put a ton less money in than they did for s1 and had a very long sit down with CBS before they did

Netflix did NOT pay for Discovery season 1.

What they did do, was pay to EXTEND their deal with CBS for the rights to show the ENTIRE catalogue of shows, from TOS to DSC as it was due to run out in 2017 anyway.

The money they paid allowed CBS say that the show was profitable before a single episode had been shown, it is a CBS made show and all Netflix did was pay for the distribution rights to show Discovery globally, they did not pay for production, cast, crew, etc etc etc.

it was around $120 for the global rights NOTHING MORE!

Discovery is a Hit worldwide and when it was streaming was in the top ten globally for digital impressions.

IF! it had been a bomb, then "Short Treks" and the new Picard show would NOT!! have been greenlit.

Season 2 of Discovery is a CBS only thing, no money from elsewhere, the deals have been done, so Netflix have not paid for anything past the deal they did for international distribution back in 2017.

Oh and side note, that lawsuit you mentioned ^^^ up there somewhere, will not get past its first MOTD and if it does will go no further than summary judgement trust me, the guy is mad thinking he has the rights to it, I mean hey, the guy lifted the entire opening monologue from Dune WORD for WORD!

Also, he has ripped off, Stargate, Aliens, and Due in his "game" which is not even finished and has been in development for almost 5 years and nothing has come from it, so when he says "CBS copied me" you have to ask "copied WHAT" the game is not even finished!

JtaDmwW.png
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    My only issue with this pack is the level scaling for the ship stopping at 30. I am assuming that this is to entice us into buying a higher-tiered ship at 40... 50... etc. Way to "monetize"!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Does 'Starter Pack' imply that there will be a larger pack released, and that if you buy the starter pack, would you be locked out of getting a larger pack?
    Do the inventory slots stack on top of 'Elite Starter Pack' slots?
    Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Remember the game Star Trek Online? I remember Star Trek Online. It has a starter pack coming out (yay tardigrade!) Star Trek Online things used to be discussed here. Things like "how a TV show is doing" and "do I like said TV show" were relegated to the Ten Forward forum, linked below.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/categories/information-and-discussion-ten-forward

Good times...
    stoodogg wrote: »
    Does 'Starter Pack' imply that there will be a larger pack released, and that if you buy the starter pack, would you be locked out of getting a larger pack?
    Do the inventory slots stack on top of 'Elite Starter Pack' slots?

Chances are, there isn't going to be a big pack (though there's undoubtedly going to be T6 c-store content.) Those are announced well in advance (for pre-order), and accompany full expansions (like victory is life.) AoD is effectively season 15, though with more stuff at shorter intervals. ;)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    only thing I'd like to see as a result of this is a scaling Constitution. NCC17XX no bloody A, B,C or D
    Spock.jpg

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I craft VR MK II gear for new characters, then transfer via account bank. Simple and cheap.
    Simple and cheap yes. Nice to hear others do this as well.

• discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Klingons, Romulans, and Jem'Hadar....

Hmmm, I love the Federation and all, but please give them some of their own sub-factions (along the lines of AoY/AoD or new content).

When there is a TV show from a Klingon/Romulan/etc point of view

(Which isn't going to happen)
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    But Mk II gear isn't that much of a boost, even if you stack 2 very rare tactical consoles that's just.+18% or so.

But a purple MKII dual Beam Bank plus 2 MKII Beam Arrays and a torp up front with another 2 beam banks and a torp in the rear ark will make a serious difference at Lieutenant rank missions! That's a lot of fire power for a Tier 1 ship.