test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jayce's Interstellar Report: Starfleet Crash Mobilizing Walker Class Starships

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,672 Community Manager
A special report for Jayce's Interstellar, Starfleet appears to be starting up a program to modify and quickly mobilize Walker-class starships:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11006533

Comments

• centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Hmm, interesting. Hinting at lower Tier Walker classes for C-store purchase, perhaps?

In anycase, I do like some background lore.
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    As a Walker driver, I'm somewhat nervous about the lack of actual facts on this
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    So we are getting the U.S.S. Shenzhou model....

I don't think its going to be a low tier ship.. it wont sell as well as a T6 ship and its being modernized.. If it is a lower tier ship.. well that leaves even less for max level players to toy around with.

Yes I know we have a lobi store one.. maybe this is a different version of that ship.. as locking both iconic ships for the shows start were locked behind RNG/Lobi I think was a mistake.
  • bravosixromeobravosixromeo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    The Shenzhou model is already in the game at T6, in the Lobi store.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    aka: "We're reusing the Walker skin for a lower tier ship." :grey_question:
    or "We're reusing the Walker skin for a top tier ship w/ a different setup so TRIBBLE you lobi owners." :D
    kelshando wrote: »

I don't think its going to be a low tier ship.. it wont sell as well as a T6 ship and its being modernized.. If it is a lower tier ship.. well that leaves even less for max level players to toy around with.

Modernized to year 2256 standards not 2410 standards so it would have to be a lower tier ship designed for new Characters that are lower level. Just like the TOS specific ships that came with AoY, they'd be designed for character progression. It would allow them to keep the T6 Walker in the Lobi store and not anger anyone who spent the money to get that version while still getting some income without too much rework for those that like the ship but don't have the funds for a Lobi shopping spree.

That is, of course, if my original theory is correct.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    It was a massive mistake for them to stick supposedly prime-universe federation starships into a lockbox in the first place. If we lived in a world in which this game could have been live when Star Trek The Next Generation had started airing, that would be like the Galaxy class and Nebula class being put in lockboxes.

If this is a low tier (aka-throw away tier) starship with no c-store ship available to use the skin at tier 6 (which would cut into those who 'won' the lockbox lottery for walkers) it will be utterly pointless. It may also continue a trend of them making coveted ships from prequel series (enterprise, now discovery) available at low "appropriate" tiers through the c-store and if you want a t6 version of it, you have to play lockbox lottery.

I imagine ships from any shows that take place in the relative future of STO's 'current' timeline will also be straight-to-lockbox releases.

Let all hope that new shows=new ships be crushed, for those ships will only be available to those willing/able to shell out way more than the average player. And lord help us all if any shows take place in STO's present... that show will either be hamstrung with cryptic's gawdawful take on "modern" star ship aesthetic, or STO is going to have to rework its aesthetic.... or far more likely, STO or that show will be declared alternate universe to prevent that ton of re-work for the game/aesthetic for the show, and then any ships from that series can just be tossed into a box as well. (yay)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    aka: "We're reusing the Walker skin for a lower tier ship." :grey_question:
    or "We're reusing the Walker skin for a top tier ship w/ a different setup so **** you lobi owners." :D

Maybe, although if it's got a significantly different setup I won't mind using it alongside my Lobi one on a different character. Remains to be seen what's going to be available short-term for AoD characters that want to be period-correct.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    It was a massive mistake for them to stick supposedly prime-universe federation starships into a lockbox in the first place. If we lived in a world in which this game could have been live when Star Trek The Next Generation had started airing, that would be like the Galaxy class and Nebula class being put in lockboxes.

That's usually where ships from the past/future/weird stuff go, don't think there's any current era ships that are Box/Lobi only.
    If this is a low tier (aka-throw away tier) starship with no c-store ship available to use the skin at tier 6 (which would cut into those who 'won' the lockbox lottery for walkers) it will be utterly pointless.

It's a Lobi ship, no lottery required.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,948 Community Moderator
    irm1963 wrote: »
    That's usually where ships from the past/future/weird stuff go, don't think there's any current era ships that are Box/Lobi only.

Closest would be the Cardassian Keldon and some of the Jem'Hadar ships. Both the Cardassians and the Dominion seem to use designs for a long time, kinda like the Klingon K'tinga class.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Captain Georgiou liked the retro lateral transporters, so she kept them. Would the rest of have more up-to-date transporters instead?

Even if any of them still had them, wouldn't they have been swapped out for more efficient modern transporters when they were re-instated?

If this is a low tier (aka-throw away tier) starship with no c-store ship available to use the skin at tier 6 (which would cut into those who 'won' the lockbox lottery for walkers) it will be utterly pointless.

No lottery required.. oh really so you know for sure how many lock boxes you have to open? last I checked there was RNG involved in how may lobi you get per box there for the price to get the ship is rng.
    Captain Georgiou liked the retro lateral transporters, so she kept them. Would the rest of have more up-to-date transporters instead?

Even if any of them still had them, wouldn't they have been swapped out for more efficient modern transporters when they were re-instated?

As this is a rush to reinstate to get them to the front rather than a refitting, I think the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would be chief in the engineers' thoughts. They'll probably still have the lateral-type transporters.

No lottery required.. oh really so you know for sure how many lock boxes you have to open? last I checked there was RNG involved in how may lobi you get per box there for the price to get the ship is rng.

You're guaranteed to get lobi with every box you open so no it is not a lottery.

That you HAVE to open? Actually... 0.
    People buy them off the Exchange for ECs. Not everyone who gets one with Lobi keeps it. Its actually rather common for people to get lockbox/lobi ships and post them on the Exchange for ECs. Sure its upwards of 200 mil or so, but still... the fact remains that you actually don't need to spend any lobi at all if you don't want to.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,430 Arc User

Yes I know we have a lobi store one.. maybe this is a different version of that ship.. as locking both iconic ships for the shows start were locked behind RNG/Lobi I think was a mistake.

Actually, the way they put it in the "news flash" there was very clever in that they could put the Walker class out at various levels, even as a freebie or dil ship at its lowest end and as T6 at its highest to represent how much "modernization" they got on the way to recommissioning. The oldest mothballed ones with one foot in the breaker-yard would be quite different from ones that were still used for planetary survey and utility ships or whatever before the war and therefore had a head start.
    rattler2 wrote: »

That you HAVE to open? Actually... 0.
    People buy them off the Exchange for ECs. Not everyone who gets one with Lobi keeps it. Its actually rather common for people to get lockbox/lobi ships and post them on the Exchange for ECs. Sure its upwards of 200 mil or so, but still... the fact remains that you actually don't need to spend any lobi at all if you don't want to.

Oh gezz.. the hyperbole is real.. Someone had to buy the ship in the first place.. and the amount of lock boxes you have to open is RANDOM.. you can get unlucky and only get 4 lobi in every box you open.. you can get lucky and get a lot of bonus lobi.. that is what rng is.. it does not have to be set a grand prize in a loot box to have an RNG element in its cost. Yes there is a maximum cost to get it 225 lock boxes if you are unlucky or less... its not the same as going into the zstore and shelling out x amount of dollars for a ship.. it could be cheaper for one player or the next on the same day based on RNG.

As this is a rush to reinstate to get them to the front rather than a refitting, I think the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would be chief in the engineers' thoughts. They'll probably still have the lateral-type transporters.

Considering Micheal Burnham asked Captain Georgiou about the transporters, it sounds more like the Shenzhou was a hold-over when it came to updating to the transporter pad that was more common during the Cage/ST: D, and the captain replied it was a personal choice to keep the older system.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Federation faction does maintain a movie era (canon) Constitution at the generic t3. With no extra bells or whistles. I see no reason for devs not to offer the familiar Walker class at t2 or t3 for standard player advancement. The blog supports that if it comes to pass. Otherwise, I continue to welcome additional Jayces starship blogs. As it's writer feels inspired to write them.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)

Oh gezz.. the hyperbole is real.. Someone had to buy the ship in the first place.. and the amount of lock boxes you have to open is RANDOM.. you can get unlucky and only get 4 lobi in every box you open.. you can get lucky and get a lot of bonus lobi.. that is what rng is.. it does not have to be set a grand prize in a loot box to have an RNG element in its cost. Yes there is a maximum cost to get it 225 lock boxes if you are unlucky or less... its not the same as going into the zstore and shelling out x amount of dollars for a ship.. it could be cheaper for one player or the next on the same day based on RNG.

Dude... at no point did I say that NO ONE has to spend Lobi. I'm pointing out a common practice that allows for someone like you to bypass the Lobi entirely, meaning you don't have to spend a dime. Yea someone else does, but the fact remains, you don't have to if you don't want to.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    surfboar wrote: »
    Please stop ruining canon and the timeline. Just give us shiny new trinkets to play with. No more of the Star Trek Re-imagined nonsense.

Star Trek: Discovery is canon. You don't have to like it, you don't have to be happy about it, but it's canon. It's also pretty good once the original showrunner drops and they start writing real Star Trek again around episode 8.​​
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Please stop ruining canon and the timeline. Just give us shiny new trinkets to play with. No more of the Star Trek Re-imagined nonsense.

Star Trek: Discovery is canon. You don't have to like it, you don't have to be happy about it, but it's canon. It's also pretty good once the original showrunner drops and they start writing real Star Trek again around episode 8.​​

But did Discovery even travel back to the Prime Universe or traveled to a parallel universe that was 9 months ahead of their universe?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

But did Discovery even travel back to the Prime Universe or traveled to a parallel universe that was 9 months ahead of their universe?

I think it's implied that they returned to their original universe.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    You're guaranteed to get lobi with every box you open so no it is not a lottery.

That's just slimy lawyer type reasoning.
    People don't buy lottery tickets to win $2 they buy them for the millions.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Federation faction does maintain a movie era (canon) Constitution at the generic t3. With no extra bells or whistles. I see no reason for devs not to offer the familiar Walker class at t2 or t3 for standard player advancement. The blog supports that if it comes to pass. Otherwise, I continue to welcome additional Jayces starship blogs. As it's writer feels inspired to write them.

The TMP Constitution class is Tier 2, not Tier 3.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

That's just slimy lawyer type reasoning.
    People don't buy lottery tickets to win $2 they buy them for the millions.

The most I ever won a scratch ticket was twice the money I paid for the ticket in the first place, and I bought a lot of scratch tickets when I got my first steady job. Which I ended getting two more tickets :open_mouth:
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Captain Georgiou liked the retro lateral transporters, so she kept them. Would the rest of have more up-to-date transporters instead?[...]

That's not what she said. She said that Starfleet is phasing out the design as well, but that USS Shenzou is an old ship, so she still has the old equipment. (But it doesn't bother her that much, as she likes her ship and it works fine.)

Considering that was about 4 years before the 'Battle of the Binary Stars', your argument is moot. They would have already transitioned by then if she was all for the upgrade. And as the blog stated: "Many of them were only recently deactivated or are currently in the process of standing down."

At most it would take a few weeks for engineers and technicians to switch out the transporter system, and it wouldn't be one at a time. So in four years time, most if not all Walker-class ships would have transitioned by that time. Unless the captain of the ship requested otherwise.