test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Fighting in a Burning House"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Get your first look inside the mind of the cunning and dangerous Ju'la, the primary antagonist of Age of Discovery, in our latest fiction blog!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11006553

Comments

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    How does the timing on this work with the Battle of Caleb V, with the cloaks being mentioned in fiction previously?
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    By Caleb IV, Starfleet had cracked Klingon design cloaks so effectively they were extremely useless. So seeing Klingon ships decloak and NOT even know they were there would be quite a shock.
    Just as somtaawkhar said.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    what I got from this is she is a romulan.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    Or, at least, she understands that knowledge is the first weapon, for with it you can effectively direct all of the others. But since you brought up Romulans, you did remind me of one featured in 'The Romulan Prize': Valak is notable among Romulans in that he not only does not simply dismiss humans as inferior, but puts in the effort to study them, and Starfleet.

This being the case, I would find it welcome if this upcoming arc has us uncovering and attempting to counter House Mo'kai's actions in this sphere, and even making countermoves of our own. An example mission might have us hunt down one of their spook ships, for the purpose of boarding it and introducing misleading information into their records (I suspect they would have the common sense to have such archives only accessible in situ).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator

No... she's like House Pegh in game. Why scream when a whisper is just as sharp a blade?

House Mo'kai seems to be more of an Intelligence gathering type. If anything... I think she's more a follower of Sun Tzu than Kahless.

Art of War. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2018

Well Klingons used to be the sneaky backstabbers and Romulans the honourable warriors back in TOS days.
    edited October 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »

No... she's like House Pegh in game. Why scream when a whisper is just as sharp a blade?

House Mo'kai seems to be more of an Intelligence gathering type. If anything... I think she's more a follower of Sun Tzu than Kahless.

Art of War. ;)

not sure about this at all. house pegh was loud, cowardly, and incompetent, I'm not willing to say she isshe of any those. and being the spy sort doesn't explain the disdain she seems to hold for klingon ethos.

in fact I would think I any intel operative worth the title worth the title would understand defending vital information even to the death. a klingon who, as a rule respect those sort things, even more so. yet the start of the blog is her calling someone just that a fool.

actually now that I think about it she's starting to remind me of cersei lannister. I hope she at least smarter then that.

edit: also what was that nonsense about Lukara being lost and unsung, she is part of the klingon's greatest love story and while I'm not sure this is canon or not, going by the I.K.S. gorkon novels she founded the Order of the Bat'leth. which is still respected as late as ds9.
    Or, at least, she understands that knowledge is the first weapon, for with it you can effectively direct all of the others. But since you brought up Romulans, you did remind me of one featured in 'The Romulan Prize': Valak is notable among Romulans in that he not only does not simply dismiss humans as inferior, but puts in the effort to study them, and Starfleet.

This being the case, I would find it welcome if this upcoming arc has us uncovering and attempting to counter House Mo'kai's actions in this sphere, and even making countermoves of our own. An example mission might have us hunt down one of their spook ships, for the purpose of boarding it and introducing misleading information into their records (I suspect they would have the common sense to have such archives only accessible in situ).

that actually could be fun enough to be worth playing the TRIBBLE content.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    By Caleb IV, Starfleet had cracked Klingon design cloaks so effectively they were extremely useless. So seeing Klingon ships decloak and NOT even know they were there would be quite a shock.
    Just as somtaawkhar said.
    Yeah Spock said "practical invisibility" in TOS. He was only surprised at a ship that was effectively invisible to ship scanning equipment. Disco Klingon cloaks are easy to scan at range.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    that actually could be fun enough to be worth playing the TRIBBLE content.
    If you're making specific reference to the hypothetical mission, it's not that great a leap of concept given what's happened in various earlier missions. For example, there is a point in 'Installation 18' (walkthrough) where you covertly alter a dispatch to elicit a particular set of results; consider too the 'undercover' portion of the Romulan-specific story arc...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edit: also what was that nonsense about Lukara being lost and unsung, she is part of the klingon's greatest love story and while I'm not sure this is canon or not, going by the I.K.S. gorkon novels she founded the Order of the Bat'leth. which is still respected as late as ds9.
    You are actually misreading the text.
    If it wasn't for Lukara, Kahless would be an unsung hero, because he would have been killed by Molor.
    Such treasures would keep her crew’s spirits high. It would keep this mighty vessel strong. Lukara. She had named her ship after the wife of Kahless, a true champion of the Empire… and forever in his shadow. Always it had been so. Men honored Kahless, yet without Lukara, he would have been a stain under the boots of Molor’s warriors in the Great Hall of Qam-Chee. A warrior, lost and unsung.

And that she stands in his shadow seems true in the TOS and TNG/DS9 era. She is rarely mentioned, and no one seems to particularly call out her name in respect. The only time she's really mentioned is in that fight in the Great Hall. But everytime else, it is always about Kahless.

Though it would even not seem out of character for the Klingons to even further underplay her relevance. The are not above altering historical records to spin the kind of tale that could grant them political favor. And of course, it would be possible that in the DIS/TOS era, Lukara was mostly forgotten and ignored, and she later rose again in respect as someone like J’Ula rises in power and influence.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    You are actually misreading the text.
    If it wasn't for Lukara, Kahless would be an unsung hero, because he would have been killed by Molor.
    Such treasures would keep her crew’s spirits high. It would keep this mighty vessel strong. Lukara. She had named her ship after the wife of Kahless, a true champion of the Empire… and forever in his shadow. Always it had been so. Men honored Kahless, yet without Lukara, he would have been a stain under the boots of Molor’s warriors in the Great Hall of Qam-Chee. A warrior, lost and unsung.

And that she stands in his shadow seems true in the TOS and TNG/DS9 era. She is rarely mentioned, and no one seems to particularly call out her name in respect. The only time she's really mentioned is in that fight in the Great Hall. But everytime else, it is always about Kahless.

Though it would even not seem out of character for the Klingons to even further underplay her relevance. The are not above altering historical records to spin the kind of tale that could grant them political favor. And of course, it would be possible that in the DIS/TOS era, Lukara was mostly forgotten and ignored, and she later rose again in respect as someone like J’Ula rises in power and influence.

well it has been a week or two since I've made a fool of myself so your probably right.

and far as her being down played for political reason, I can see someone doing that but I can't figure out why they would, except maybe a women nearly destroying the empire through sheer incompetence.

though it could easily be a case of we hear so little of klingon legends that we simply don't her stories, or could be we hear klingon legends from big strong warrior men who only really know Kahless's legends.

• iranoveryourdogiranoveryourdog Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Klingons are not blue... just fyi. also, discovery is garbage.

#canceldiscovery
  • thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Wow, that's really strange. The story seems to be all about Klingons, but they show a picture of some never-before-seen alien that certainly can't be a Klingon.
    Did someone drag a Klingon down a street by the face and that's what she ended up looking like, or is this some weird Klingon ally?
  • thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Klingons are not blue... just fyi. also, discovery is garbage.

#canceldiscovery

Agree 100%.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I still can't figure out why the text talks about Klingons when the picture is of an Uruk-hai.

I think you have not seen Lord of the Rings in a while.

Uruk Hai
    uruk_hai_lotr_03.jpg

J’Ula
    34d00c3e74a307f30472bc1a60f6c5521538180736.jpg

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User

Art of War. ;)

I also that vibe, she came across as INCREDIBLY dangerous as she's a skilled combatant but she also understands how the enemy think and doesn't squander her ability's
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Fighting in a burning house...

...Sounds rather apt considering STOs current state of TRIBBLE polarisation while ignoring queue level/player population s are so low they are trying to hide it with tfos and removing the evidence of low queue population by removing the ability to see the queue population...
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Uruk-hai have too much hair. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns