test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, when are we getting an LFG channel?

ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
The devs seems hellbent on getting us to play the queues or whatever they're calling them these days. Okay, fair, but there's one major problem here.
Okay there are several but I'm just dealing with this one.

A lot of these queues are basically incompleteable as pugs as they take a lot of prior knowledge to complete successfully. This doesn't mean new people can't do it, if they get an explanation first of what needs doing and in which order. This is impossible to do in the scant time from you dorp into the queue until it begins. Such explanations needs to be given before even queuing up.

Inb4 "just read the briefing in the queue".
1) Not everyone learns well from reading.
2) Some people need the info more than once to process it properly.
3) Not everyone is a fast reader
4) And - and this is going to come as a major shock to many players I know - not everyone has English as a first language and hence might only get incomplete understanding from the briefing. (Yes I know the game is available in other languages too, but not everyone has German or whatever as their first language either. Point stands.)

And no fleets and friend lists aren't really viable alternatives here.

Nope Zone chat doesn't work either as most of us have it turned off due to the toxity of the general chat.

We really need a LFG channel. We've needed one for years, but we definitely need one now. And I have no freaking clue why we don't have one and there seems no plan in making a game wide, or at least zone wide, LFG channel.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    LFG channel as in looking for a group channel? :)

If that is the case we really have a few already. In most of them peeps jump at the chance to explain stuff about PvE maps that may be unclear and are happy to teamup with likeminded.

What would be wrong with let's say "DPS-Bronze" or "The Science Channel" or "Voice of Omega Combat"? They are all pretty cool.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I dont mean to belittle anyone here but DPS Bronze you need to prove your worth to enter ( ok fairly easy but still...), Science Channel is dead as the queues and I’m not sure about what else there is.

I’m guessing the OP means a fully public zero restrictions on ability game finding place?
    SulMatuul.png
    edited October 2018
    ilithyn wrote: »
    German

Ah bingo!

They/you could join “DPS-Deutsch” in case you understand german.

It is run by the same group of people who run DPS-Bronze, has no entry requirements and was made at the request from some PvE guys from my country with limited English skills.

In any case OP if you look for some PvE companionship you are welcome to join the community chat of OCD. I think we are enough to get matches going a lot of times. There are no performance requirements or what so ever for as long as you don’t sabotage matches or troll on purpose. You would just need to mail me in game and I’d throw you an invite.
    animated.gif
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    The game's problem is not missing a LFG channel, but rather having too many of them, compared to the people actually interested in stuff like that.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    LFG channel as in looking for a group channel? :)

If that is the case we really have a few already. In most of them peeps jump at the chance to explain stuff about PvE maps that may be unclear and are happy to teamup with likeminded.

What would be wrong with let's say "DPS-Bronze" or "The Science Channel" or "Voice of Omega Combat"? They are all pretty cool.

I meant official. Most players will have no idea what these channels are or that they exist. Heck, I've been in this game for years now and haven't heard of three of them, have no idea what they're meant for or what the qualifications for joining are.

And that's the issue. There are too many unofficial channels that no one but the special people know about and wouldn't even know to go look for, because what kind of weird game that has official group content doesn't have an official LFG (yes that's Looking For Group) channel?

@peterconnorfirst
    Did you read all of what I said. My point was that while the game exist in various languages not everyone have any of those languages as primary. What if your first is Dutch, or Swedish, or Danish? Or idk, Greek?

Honestly all of your suggestions just proves my point. Unless you're already initiated into this game you don't have the tools to play it. You have to go look for something that no newcomer has a snowball's chance in hell of even knowing exists (unofficial LFG channels), much less what would be called, to get to making groups. Something that should be a basic part of the game since the devs wants us to play group content.

Finally, I have no desire to join dozen different channels, why should I? My point was, given that the devs are hell bent on getting us to do group content that takes prior coordination to complete, why on earth haven't they provided the basic means of doing so and when in the name of all that is holy do they intent to do so?
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    My point was, given that the devs are hell bent on getting us to do group content that takes prior coordination to complete, why on earth haven't they provided the basic means of doing so and when in the name of all that is holy do they intent to do so?

Probably because they know STO playerbase and hence can predict with good accuracy that any official chat channel they do for LFG purposes would end up no better than the zone chat. You know, infested with all sorts of people you'd want to avoid at all cost, and who you definitely wouldn't want in your queues.
    edited October 2018

Honestly all of your suggestions just proves my point. Unless you're already initiated into this game you don't have the tools to play it. You have to go look for something that no newcomer has a snowball's chance in hell of even knowing exists (unofficial LFG channels), much less what would be called, to get to making groups. Something that should be a basic part of the game since the devs wants us to play group content.

If there is one constant in all my custom PvE channels is that I meet new players (who jumped into game recently) every moth and who do not have a hard time at all to integrate into existing groups with or without language barriers.

Sorry for miss-understanding your request OP. STO is soon 8,5 years old. I doubt that such a basic feature would be integrated at this point and considering all the effort it takes to moderate such a channel that it would be maintained for long.

We already have zone chats wich most qualified players turn off sooner or later because of reasons.
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.