test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Spores"

13»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    given the ISS discovery was blown up almost immediately on crossing over, i'm going to say 'no, they didn't have a spore drive'​​

Wasn't the ISS Discovery destroyed by Klingons though? And if the USS Discovery could pose as her counterpart...

All we know is that the ISS Discovery is a Crossfield class, just like the USS Discovery. And as far as I know, the Crossfield class was purpose built to use a Spore Drive. As to HOW exactly they swapped places... I don't know.
    The Genesis device was never intended to be a weapon and the Klingons knew that much. only KHan twisted it into something so dangerous not even the Klingons would go near it. Besides the genesis device is man made, not a natural occurance with unimaginable potential.

True. BUT... it could still be a terrible weapon, hence Kruge's interest and insistance on calling it a weapon. I don't think Khan twisted it into a weapon per se. I think to him it was a means to an end. Steal Genesis, lure in Enterprise, vengeance.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    given the ISS discovery was blown up almost immediately on crossing over, i'm going to say 'no, they didn't have a spore drive'

Wasn't the ISS Discovery destroyed by Klingons though? And if the USS Discovery could pose as her counterpart...

that's exactly the point - it was blown up by the klingons almost immediately upon crossover; if they'd had a spore drive, they could've used it to either outmaneuver and destroy the attacking force or, if it was an overwhelming force, gotten the hell out of dodge...the fact that they did neither tells me the terran version was built sans spore drive​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    x
    All we know is that the ISS Discovery is a Crossfield class, just like the USS Discovery. And as far as I know, the Crossfield class was purpose built to use a Spore Drive. As to HOW exactly they swapped places... I don't know.
    I don't think it's confirmed that the Crossfield Class was built for the Spore Drive. It would make more sense if the Glen and Discovery were specifically adapted for the purpose, especially since they are the only two ships mentioned to have a team working on the Spore Drive. You'd expect one of the two ships to be the Crossfield itself (following Starfleet's tradition of naming a ship class after its prototype/first ship of the class) if all Crossfields were designed for the purpose.
    The many science labs mentioned by Saru in the introduction of the ship to Burnham seems to imply it was generally seen as some kind fo research vessel.

(Head Canon: When the first images of the Discovery were shown, it still looked a bit different than the final version. The "old" look could have been the original design for the Crossfield Class, and the DIscovery and Glen were modified. THough that would mean the Mirror Discovery would need to look like the original Crossfield as well.)

Of course, it could be that the Crossfield Class really is - in both universes - a Spore Drive prototype, or at least was considered for it. But until the Prime Discovery found the Tardigrade, it could only jump a few kilometers. So even if the Mirror Crossfield had the spore drive, it would be completely useless in a fight.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    jcsww wrote: »
    jcsww wrote: »
    We have the Vesta Class ship in the game and Ezri Dax was a character created by CBS and was in the Deep Space Nine series. I don't see how any extra licensing would be needed to use attributes that are basically already in the game.
    And they had to pay a lot of money to use the Vesta class. The way copyright and licensing works is really complex, and pretty dumb. CBS owns Trek, but even they can't use elements of trek like the Kzinti, or the slavers, who appeared in an episode of Star Trek, because those were made by Larry Niven, and they would have to pay him for it.

Likewise, while Cryptic has already paid to use the Vesta class, and can use Ezri since she is a canon DS9 character, having Ezri as captain of the Aventine would likely require an additional licensing fee because that specific narrative element is owned by the author of whatever novel made it up.
    I think the Vesta Class was well worth whatever they paid out to Mark Rademaker to have it in the game. If they would have to pay something extra to someone to for the use of the ship name, which sounds silly to me, then I think it would be worth it. Paying Nicole deBoer to lend her talents to this game would also be a worth while expense in my opinion. The game might not be canon but spending the money to make the game an enjoyable experience and to make it feel as canon as possible is always a worth while expense in my opinion.
    Or is it? :D I mean canon is whatever CBS says it is. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Of course, it could be that the Crossfield Class really is - in both universes - a Spore Drive prototype, or at least was considered for it. But until the Prime Discovery found the Tardigrade, it could only jump a few kilometers. So even if the Mirror Crossfield had the spore drive, it would be completely useless in a fight.

Kinda hard to explain the spinning bits on the saucer honestly. Seems to be necessary for Spore Drive use. But yea, a few kilometers would only be useful in a tactical jump. Not a GTFO card.

As to maybe seeing Ezri Dax... I honestly don't see that being a problem. We've got Captain Calhoun hanging out on K-7, We have the Vesta Class in game, and we have Dev Blogs and in game references and mentions of Captain Ezri Dax and the USS Aventine.

Would be nice to see Ezri. And considering other canon characters that are in Starfleet hold higher ranks than they did in the shows, it makes sense that Ezri would be a Captain by now. Geordi LaForge, Harry Kim, Tom Paris... All are captains now. The only difference between them and Ezri honestly is career path. Yes we saw a future Geordi commanding the Challenger, and we saw a future Harry commanding the Rhode Island, but Tom wasn't given a ship in any canon capacity. Ezri was given one in the books, which some assets that we have are drawn from. Hell... we have a full on Aventine class in the Vesta line that specifically references the USS Aventine.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Of course, it could be that the Crossfield Class really is - in both universes - a Spore Drive prototype, or at least was considered for it. But until the Prime Discovery found the Tardigrade, it could only jump a few kilometers. So even if the Mirror Crossfield had the spore drive, it would be completely useless in a fight.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Kinda hard to explain the spinning bits on the saucer honestly. Seems to be necessary for Spore Drive use. But yea, a few kilometers would only be useful in a tactical jump. Not a GTFO card.
    >
    > As to maybe seeing Ezri Dax... I honestly don't see that being a problem. We've got Captain Calhoun hanging out on K-7, We have the Vesta Class in game, and we have Dev Blogs and in game references and mentions of Captain Ezri Dax and the USS Aventine.
    >
    > Would be nice to see Ezri. And considering other canon characters that are in Starfleet hold higher ranks than they did in the shows, it makes sense that Ezri would be a Captain by now. Geordi LaForge, Harry Kim, Tom Paris... All are captains now. The only difference between them and Ezri honestly is career path. Yes we saw a future Geordi commanding the Challenger, and we saw a future Harry commanding the Rhode Island, but Tom wasn't given a ship in any canon capacity. Ezri was given one in the books, which some assets that we have are drawn from. Hell... we have a full on Aventine class in the Vesta line that specifically references the USS Aventine.

Agreed, plus having a DS9 expansion with Dad showing up at all would be wrong, very wrong. Plus Dax's 9 life times of experience almost makes her over qualified.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    True. BUT... it could still be a terrible weapon, hence Kruge's interest and insistance on calling it a weapon. I don't think Khan twisted it into a weapon per se. I think to him it was a means to an end. Steal Genesis, lure in Enterprise, vengeance.

Kruge was hoping to turn it into a weapon, it isn't the same as it actually being a weapon.
    x
    I don't think it's confirmed that the Crossfield Class was built for the Spore Drive. It would make more sense if the Glen and Discovery were specifically adapted for the purpose, especially since they are the only two ships mentioned to have a team working on the Spore Drive. You'd expect one of the two ships to be the Crossfield itself (following Starfleet's tradition of naming a ship class after its prototype/first ship of the class) if all Crossfields were designed for the purpose.
    The many science labs mentioned by Saru in the introduction of the ship to Burnham seems to imply it was generally seen as some kind fo research vessel.

consider it a confirmation:

With Mirror Lorca in charge of the Discovery, he may have known well in advance of the Mycelium network in order to get back to his own realm one day. The thing is that the first couple of episodes show a spare room in engineering that was clearly meant for the spores to be released into and the nearby room full of mycelial life was oblivously intended to show that there was enough mycelial spores to conduct these tests thousands of times over.

true it might not of orginally been built for the purpose, however it could of been modified during its construction to allow for top secret research into new propulsion techniques.

If the Discovery is seen in dry dock getting retrofitted and the spore drive is completely removed, then it wasn't a simple patch into the ship systems, it clearly means the spore drive was a signifcant part of the ship with the implication that it was built with the mycelial stuff in mind.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • ncc1701z5ncc1701z5 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    A bit off topic but- "Doctor Bashir, Kuumarke, and Ezri Dax finds themselves in a sticky situation" made me snicker. :wink:
    "Saving the galaxy's our business"

Admiral Wilkens: "I bend our rules so folks don't have to live in fear strictly obeying someone else's".

Kruge was hoping to use it as a weapon, it isn't the same as it actually being designed as a weapon.
    FTFY.

It's a subtle distinction, but the difference is that you didn't need to redesign it to use it as a weapon. It already had the potential to not only wipe out civilizations, but also eradicate any trace of their existence.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Nice one. I liked that last "we came from mud" line.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Kruge was hoping to use it as a weapon, it isn't the same as it actually being designed as a weapon.
    FTFY.

It's a subtle distinction, but the difference is that you didn't need to redesign it to use it as a weapon. It already had the potential to not only wipe out civilizations, but also eradicate any trace of their existence.

Great.. an arguement about nothing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Not quite mirror.

The difference between the Genesis Device and the Spore Tech is the fact that the Genesis Device ALREADY HAD a delivery system that essentially can be called a Torpedo. You really don't need to beam down and set up massive amounts of equipment. The ultimate goal was to make a delivery vehicle to launch it from orbit of a dead world.

Not that much of a stretch to just pop into orbit of a living world and launch the device at it. All life would be destroyed in favor of the new matrix. As much was said in WoK with the concerns raised by the Enterprise crew, if I remember correctly. And Kirk's son actually was afraid of the military applications of Genesis as well, hence how bitter he was about Starfleet's involvement.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    x
    The many science labs mentioned by Saru in the introduction of the ship to Burnham seems to imply it was generally seen as some kind fo research vessel

IIRC from the third episode, the Discovery and Glenn were indeed science vessels adapted for DASH drive research. There'll be a bunch of Crossfields out there without it. I don't think the ISS Discovery had one either, Mirror Stamets took a different path and designed the myceleum power system for the Emperor's flagship.
    Not quite mirror.

The difference between the Genesis Device and the Spore Tech is the fact that the Genesis Device ALREADY HAD a delivery system that essentially can be called a Torpedo. You really don't need to beam down and set up massive amounts of equipment. The ultimate goal was to make a delivery vehicle to launch it from orbit of a dead world.

Not that much of a stretch to just pop into orbit of a living world and launch the device at it. All life would be destroyed in favor of the new matrix. As much was said in WoK with the concerns raised by the Enterprise crew, if I remember correctly. And Kirk's son actually was afraid of the military applications of Genesis as well, hence how bitter he was about Starfleet's involvement.
    Yeah, this was Kruge's main point. It was designed to be easily portable, and it's area of effect was large enough for a full-on genocide. It's designers didn't want to make a doomsday weapon but they did.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Super Dax? Wut?
    And I read that particular book.

Although I'm pretty sure she did have some help, but it was a lot more focused on Piper because the book was in 1st person from her PoV so we really don't see what's going on in other places, like with Kirk. For that little detail I kinda give Piper a pass since the 1st person perspective kinda makes her the star of the show.

Its also thanks to that book that I use Proxima Beta as the homeworld for one of my alts on STO. ;)

However... if Novelverse Ezri is basically Rey from Star Wars... dear god.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Howdy,

Jesse Heinig, I just wanted to say that this short story "Spores" was really good for me. I'm wondering how this is going to work with the large time period between the Discovery period and our own in STO. I suppose more time bandits will be cut loose to enjoin the fray. Well, here's to more Star Trek. Cheers!

--T9
    ​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    I don't get her friend as much, but didn't Piper also almost destroy the simulator to do it with her communicator?

Also I kinda liked the concept behind the story itself. Kinda like Admiral Marcus in Into Darkness, but with less Section 31 and Khan.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    x

(Head Canon: When the first images of the Discovery were shown, it still looked a bit different than the final version. The "old" look could have been the original design for the Crossfield Class, and the DIscovery and Glen were modified. THough that would mean the Mirror Discovery would need to look like the original Crossfield as well.)

Before the silly fidget spinner function was revealed it was theorized that the rings and spokes were meant as isolation protocol safety features. It makes sense that a science ship might be set up like that if its function leans to biological survey and experimentation, and the semi-detached design could have simply been convenient to modify into the fidget spinner for the spore drive.

azrael605 wrote: »
    A common nickname for the beyond Mary Sue Captain Ezri Dax of the USS Aventine in the novels. Fortunately several of her "accomplishments" are not possible in the STO timeline, such as recovering the sword of khaless for Martok, as we know Quark recovered it.

Ask starswordc for more information, AIR he has ranted a few times about the subject.

Seriously though that version of Dax is a worse Mary Sue than Lt. Piper of the novel Dreadnaught! who single handedly stopped an attempted coup of the Federation government by the Admiral in charge of the Federation class dreadnaught project.

The novel that "Into Darkness" rips off to some degree? It was not a bad book as far as those early Trek novels go, and while Piper did come close to being a Mary Sue at times, she (actually her own "trinity" of core heroes) was not that different from other Trek heroes and their inner circle, who often pull off the same kind of missions without the label getting attached to them. If anything Piper would be a classic engineering 'captain' with the miracle worker specialization in STO terms (or maybe science with miracle worker, STO kind of blurs the concept a bit between engineering and science).