test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Visual spam out of hand?

Comments

• newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I never opened a topic about me "quitting the game", also I did not come here to leave a response so that I would get sympathy for not playing the game. I don't care tbh... but I do have a right to say what I think about certain game mechanic/options/(not having options to modify general graphics effects in this case). If that is against the forum rules, nice rules I must say.

I was merely stating facts in my responses on this thread. I am not playing the game lately(FACT) because I find the visual effects overwhelming , annoying, unnecessary, ugly, non-Star Trek - it ruins the experience for me (the reason). I know some consider this a BS reason and I understand some/most don't care. But that does not mean I can't say what I think.

My "seizure inducing" expression was not meant for anyone to take literally, I hoped some have at least basic sense of sarcasm but I guess I gotta put a sign for Sheldons here... also, my mother had epi attacks, so yea, I know what they are, sadly.

EDIT: Forgot to add... I would pay for an "off" button.
    Post edited by newnja on
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    (I swear it's a RARITY to see an actual Starfleet ship anymore)

* Events that reward alien ships instead of actual faction ships.
    * Lock boxes that tend towards alien ships people want to fly.
    * Desire for sales since content isn't actual questing and things but newest ship shiny.

I'm not surprised there aren't many faction based ships out there since the non-faction based tend to be easier to access from free events or have major power creep over the faction based ones to make sales targets.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I tend to agree. Since the game launched, I turned off the shield facing indicators, and tried to use only abilities that didn't have gigantic, unrealistic or unimmersive special effects (out of a desire to emulate the look of the show).

As time has gone by, however, that's been made impossible, as many skills are essentially required now if you want to have any chance of surviving any newer content, and other players are either flying inappropriate ships (I swear it's a RARITY to see an actual Starfleet ship anymore) and/or spamming endless giant special effects... and now the NPCs are doing it too (made worse by the fact that there's usually hundreds of enemy ships in any scenario these days).
    Nevermind abilities being "required" now, they have actually added a lot of superfluous abstract flashies to the abilities that previously didn't have any, to the point where you pretty much can't do anything at all without invoking some kind of lightshow.

Like Attack Pattern Beta enveloping the target in that now all too familiar wavy orange glow. Fancy that. They used Attack Pattern Whatever all the time in the show, and it never made anything glow like that. :p

And many common traits make your ship sparkle just by shooting.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    And there's that trait that spews the green slime all around you whenever you use a hull heal.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    If I think back on 'what's the best Star Trek game I've ever known and played' it would be Star Trek Legacy. True 3D movement, large open spaces where warp travel is part of the battle, command multiple ships at once (like a real admiral and captain at once), and sci-fi. Compared to it, STO is an acid trip in a fantasy world dressed to look like star trek.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg8KSdZ71io
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    How to know you're playing Star Trek Online. Your screen looks like...
    gPdHcQH.gif

Edit: Go away forum Langolears.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • angronsweangronswe Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Have they ever given a official respons to this? Maybe it's to much work to add a option that let's us turn of all the effects.

Maybe they could sell manuals for space and ground abilities that have no visuals the same way you can get TOS manuals that have different visuals. They could even sell them for zen if they need a way to justify spending time on it.

It's sort of sad collecting all these beautiful ships only to have them turn into disco balls as soon as combat starts.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I tend to agree. Since the game launched, I turned off the shield facing indicators, and tried to use only abilities that didn't have gigantic, unrealistic or unimmersive special effects (out of a desire to emulate the look of the show).

As time has gone by, however, that's been made impossible, as many skills are essentially required now if you want to have any chance of surviving any newer content, and other players are either flying inappropriate ships (I swear it's a RARITY to see an actual Starfleet ship anymore) and/or spamming endless giant special effects... and now the NPCs are doing it too (made worse by the fact that there's usually hundreds of enemy ships in any scenario these days).

how ya turn 'em off? Blond moment, I guess o.o

But yea, I gotta tweak and play with the graphic settings due to some of the visuals, especially that one space trait...the giant purple soap bubble thing that collapses....as is its ground counterpart, frame rate suffers from that one X_x; Lighting 2.0 can be a headache at times. x_X;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Options -> Basic -> Enable directional shield FX

It's the 1st option
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

how ya turn 'em off? Blond moment, I guess o.o

But yea, I gotta tweak and play with the graphic settings due to some of the visuals, especially that one space trait...the giant purple soap bubble thing that collapses....as is its ground counterpart, frame rate suffers from that one X_x; Lighting 2.0 can be a headache at times. x_X;

You mean the visual spam can be a headache at time. Which is why I hardly do anything ingame any more. I love my eyes more than the game and all the visual spam.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    Seems like a lot of people are actually bothered by this and in fact it is(becoming) a big issue. I haven't seen a single dev or a community manager addressing it.
    edited October 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Some perspective. Only about 5 percent of players ever come to the forums, so even if every forum user agreed that this was a problem it would still only be a drop in the bucket.

You I simply don't understand... Are you a secret Cryptic employee? Instead of acknowledging there is an issue you are pushing it under the rug. And your "perspective with percentages" ... so uneducated, I even don't want to comment.

I went trough this thread. Not once you acknowledged there is an issue here, in fact all you did was TRIBBLE on people who are bothered by an obvious flaw.
    Post edited by newnja on
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    newnja wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of people are actually bothered by this and in fact it is(becoming) a big issue. I haven't seen a single dev or a community manager addressing it.

I'm not surprised people are bothered. Looking at the source material, even in it's "modern" incarnations Star Trek has a relative prosaic way of depicting it's action scenes. You have weapon effects, shield effects (save for the incarnations of the franchise that didn't acknowledge shields at all pig-2.gif ) and the occasional deflector dish magic. I think it's somewhat understandable people would like to recreate that look in the franchise's MMO.

The devs did comment on it way back. The official, last known statement was that the effects are mandatory since they communicate in-game events to the player. Indeed I have not seen anyone commenting on the circumstance that the sheer amount of ongoing, parallel "communication" that is taking place essentially garbles any meaningful information there is. But so far there also hasn't been any hint at things developing in the opposite direction, any newly added power gets it's own flashy effect and so your ship glows green, blue and purple, has a floating crosshair and two to four arrows that point on random things, a big rotating spiral and lots of single blinking dots decorating your starship.

As to how meaningful this is in the grand scheme of things is pure speculation. Users that immediately swap in and shot down any concern base their point of view just as well on pure speculation. There are no "Cryptic shills" though, don't turn that into some sort of conspiracy. It's just that cynicism is the language of our time and shooting down people with short, canned lines (the more popular being "There is no money in that!", "It will never happen!", "It's not important enough to fix!") is a thing some people simply do. Without any dev feedback we have no idea if the view of those bothered is shared or even acknowledged and chances are it isn't, that much I think is true. But we will see whether this changes, things that nobody thought possible have happened in STO as well pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    newnja wrote: »

I'm not surprised people are bothered. Looking at the source material, even in it's "modern" incarnations Star Trek has a relative prosaic way of depicting it's action scenes. You have weapon effects, shield effects (save for the incarnations of the franchise that didn't acknowledge shields at all pig-2.gif ) and the occasional deflector dish magic. I think it's somewhat understandable people would like to recreate that look in the franchise's MMO.

The devs did comment on it way back. The official, last known statement was that the effects are mandatory since they communicate in-game events to the player. Indeed I have not seen anyone commenting on the circumstance that the sheer amount of ongoing, parallel "communication" that is taking place essentially garbles any meaningful information there is. But so far there also hasn't been any hint at things developing in the opposite direction, any newly added power gets it's own flashy effect and so your ship glows green, blue and purple, has a floating crosshair and two to four arrows that point on random things, a big rotating spiral and lots of single blinking dots decorating your starship.

As to how meaningful this is in the grand scheme of things is pure speculation. Users that immediately swap in and shot down any concern base their point of view just as well on pure speculation. There are no "Cryptic shills" though, don't turn that into some sort of conspiracy. It's just that cynicism is the language of our time and shooting down people with short, canned lines (the more popular being "There is no money in that!", "It will never happen!", "It's not important enough to fix!") is a thing some people simply do. Without any dev feedback we have no idea if the view of those bothered is shared or even acknowledged and chances are it isn't, that much I think is true. But we will see whether this changes, things that nobody thought possible have happened in STO as well pig-3.gif​​

I completely agree with everything you wrote.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The official, last known statement was that the effects are mandatory since they communicate in-game events to the player.​
    Which is a steaming pile of cow dung if I ever heard one. The flashies don't communicate anything as they blend together into an unsightly glowing sparking mess like a burning fireworks factory, and I don't know what half of them mean even when I can see them. :needsarolleyessmiley:

And then, of course, I wouldn't even want to know the things they allegedly are trying to communicate in the first place. I presumably have, on my own ship, those buffs I've put on it myself and I couldn't care less what other people have.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    There has been more of a reply beyond the rather lacking explanation about the visual spam and outright full screen strobe effects somehow conveying 'meaningful information', and it was, paraphrased, 'complain some more.' (search reddit for the source).

Not taking an antagonistic view of the artists themselves, whose work I do think is spectacular really, the effects on their own are quite incredible, alongside the artwork in all of STO, plus it is highly doubtful they have a say in how such effects are portrayed (layers of uninformative spam that's getting worse and more ridiculous), so perhaps it really means give your feedback if you dislike it, and there may be hope, but clearly not enough people report this as a problem, either at the forums, on reddit, or through in-game bug reports.

To me it's a sad state of affairs, no option to turn off effects, or choose which powers you want visible, to enjoy them and actually make use of them, so I've mostly moved on to other games, which too have incredible effects that are kept within reasonable sci-fi limits (each individual bullet/particle/shell projectile with its color, glow, lighting effect on environment, particular splash damage type, clear vehicle effects indicating particular abilities essential to PVP combat, shield collisions, type of target damage (icon-based), specific healing fields, etc., all in giant 96vs96+ people battles, and still plenty of moments with zero effects to enjoy the natural scenery).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited October 2018
    PS my comment about perspective was composed entirely of facts. I provided it because you seem to think the 10 or so people in this thread that agree with you is a significant number, it isnt.

I'm not even gonna dignify that with a response... on second thought... I am.

And you not considering this an issue, well.. that says a lot on your perspective of things. Even if I grant you that... don't you think we (who consider it an issue) should at least have the option to turn the f/%=#)$ visuals off?!

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Everyone calm down.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2018

You dont understand. First I do not wprk for Cryptic in any frakking way. Second I DO NOT FOR ONE SECOND BELIEVE THIS IS AN ISSUE. I dont care what you or anyone else think about that opinion. I play the same game, see the same effects, and I can have any opinion I want, you dont get to force your opinion on me.

First of all, to paraphrase someone's tagline, "Anyone accusing azrael605 of working for Cryptic must be new to these forums." :)

Also, I agree: I do not believe visual spam is a real issue (if it were, Cryptic would have long since taken care of it). It would seem reasonable, though, for them to have an option to disable most of it, for ppl to whom this really presents a problem. I fear they won't do it, however. In Second Life, for instance, the brass is always on about the 'shared experience', and how it must not be disturbed across the inhabitants of their virtual world. I suspect Cryptic may fear something similar (like your roommate walking into the room, seeing you play with all pretty FX disabled, thus thinking it's a cr*ppy game).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »

First of all, to paraphrase someone's tagline, "Anyone accusing azrael605 of working for Cryptic must be new to these forums." :)

I don't know why I should even care who the person is and how "famous" he/she is on the forum... "asking someone if they are working for Cryptic" was not meant literally, for the second time on this thread I gotta put a sarcasm sign for Sheldons.

I am hardly new to the forum or to the game, I don't read every topic, only the few that interest me. I comment even less.

One thing I learned from this whole conversation is that I need to stay away from "places" like this. Definitely my last time trying to point to this "issue", even though I didn't start the topic(this time). You all made it loud and clear, it's futile - Borg style.

Sorry baddmoon, same answer.
This discussion has been closed.