What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PC Patch Notes for 9/26/18

Comments

• Options
    renata666renata666 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    That is certainly a lot of maintenance for only a few items. Perhaps setting up for the Discovery introduction?
    Well, Fall is approaching quickly... No, wait. IT'S HERE!! So, I'd say yes. AoD should be showing up soon. :smile:

• Options
    liberatrixliberatrix Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    So long as the game is working as well as it was before this maintenance, its all good.

I remember the days when 'maintenance' could mean a month of getting dumped from the server every time you zoned, until they went and did more 'maintenance' and corrected the issues.

Have they fixed the DS-9 graphics?
    When they came out with the new and improved DS-9 it was almost pitch black, I did what I had to for the mission, but its a place I chose to avoid there-after. I read if you went in and changed your Lighting, turned on Bloom, etc. it would work... but I'm not messing with my graphics just for one place... I'll avoid DS-9 until it conforms to, and works with, the rest of STO.

Am I remembering correctly, weren't they down most of yesterday for 'maintenance' as well?

I hope something good is coming for all this work they are doing.

In this galaxy there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in the universe, three million million galaxies like this.
  • Options
    neskweeekneskweeek Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    A maintenance is needed : OK I'm cool with that
    A maintenance two days in a row is needed : ok I'm cool with that too.
    Even a week ... WHEN IT IS PLANNED AND THAT THE USERS KNOW IT AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE IT HAPPENS ! DAMN !

Where I'm pissed of:
    - Why it is not advertized in-game when logging ?
    - Why yesterday once the first one was over it has not been advertize too ?
    - Why they not even mail that info ?

Bad communication... Not cool !
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,321 Community Moderator
    neskweeek wrote: »
    A maintenance is needed : OK I'm cool with that
    A maintenance two days in a row is needed : ok I'm cool with that too.
    Even a week ... WHEN IT IS PLANNED AND THAT THE USERS KNOW IT AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE IT HAPPENS ! DAMN !

Where I'm pissed of:
    - Why it is not advertized in-game when logging ?
    - Why yesterday once the first one was over it has not been advertize too ?
    - Why they not even mail that info ?

Bad communication... Not cool !

Perhaps you should pay closer attention:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1243753/extended-maintenances-this-week/p1
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    hmmm yeah ... look at the date of the post ...

The 24th to tell that the maintenance is the 25th (that's exactly why I'm complaining, that's not a week before).
    Then in Europe you're warned when facing the maintenance.

Even better: edited the 25th certainly to add the one of today .

And when you do not go to the forum on a regular basis, which is my case, then you don't even know .

Hey I don't strike specifically on CM here: You were certianly warned at the last minute too ...
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Some viewing to help while away the extended downtime... :tongue:
    nwgarin.png
    yokiLaW.png
    iPWfrJc.png
    #AgeOfDiscovery
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    derqstartrekderqstartrek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Trolling doom comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Is tomorrow's maintenance in place of, or in addition to a Thursday maintenance?

I'm pretty sure it was stated that there will be no maintenance on thursday this week.

Because of this extended maintenance, there will be no PC maintenance on Thursday, 9/27, and we will once again be extending the Breach Event on PC by a day.

As posted by Kael yesterday
  • Options
    hmmm yeah ... look at the date of the post ...

The 24th to tell that the maintenance is the 25th.
    Then in Europe your warned when you facing the maintenance.

Even better: edited the 25th certainly to add the one of today .

And when you do not go to the forum on a regular basis, which is my case then you don't even know .

Hey I don't strike specifically on CM here: You were certianly warned at the last minute too ...

And on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155842521263603&id=6318938602

And on Twitter:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Man man man, what a nagging on the forum of STO. Twenty times the same question and remark about the maintenance while already from the beginning of this month, or was it at the end of last month, it was clear that there was a lot of downtime for updating and upgrading the servers. Of course this is not fun, and certainly not for EU players, but do you want the server to run on outdated hardware?

Not everyone uses twitter or FB, but if you make some effort you will immediately find the following:
    https://arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/10999993-arc-scheduled-maintenance-september-2018
    https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1243753/extended-maintenances-this-week/p1

I also nag sometimes but know from experience that upgrading and updating a server (s) is not always easy.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Great , not using facebook either. And still only 1 day before it happens

But I/We use your game, where there were no info about the interuption of service.
    Still we can't miss info about the new and old packs we can buy.

• Options
    darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    Being Belgian, I have the worst of it, as each time there's a downtime, I get the full load of it...
    It's beginning to become quite frustrating.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    From an SI Engineer perspective, I would love to know what’s going on. If I had to speculate a guess, yes it might be a hardware upgrade, (e.g. migrating to new hardware) But it is something more, then a simple replacing of the hardware. Bring a second system on line and then failing over the old setup to the new one, should not require that much down time if the overall design was setup from the start.

Because this appears to be impacting all the other games as well. (Neverwinter, STo, PWi, Forsaken World, Champions Online.) I think the main culprit is the main login server and specifically with the accounts database. Databases tend to be the biggest time syncs in any upgrade. This is why in recent years’ technologies like Elasticsearch are gaining traction. However even those still have their flaws, (going from one Elasticsearch Version to another still can lead to downtime) and the only real way to solve this is by implementing a migrate on read solution, basically you have both the old systems running in parallel (with the new database structures on the new system) At the time of login (read) all the data (from the old system) is read and then imported into the new, and then old system it is marked invalid. Don’t get me wrong this is tricky to design, and implement, but doing eliminates most of the down time, because in effect you have two system running at the same time, and if disaster happens you still have the original system in palace.

I hope for the back end changes they really need to start implementing or moving to rolling update. This will effetely eliminate downtime in the long run. As user playing the game when moving to the next zone would just be transferred to the updated server. At worst, it might require a logging off and back in.
  • Options
    Great , not using facebook either. And still only 1 day before it happens

But I/We use your game, where there were no info about the interuption of service.
    Still we can't miss info about the new and old packs we can buy.

Still information was provided, on 3 different platforms no less. It's also widely known that those outlets are used to convey such information. And you obviously are using the forum. Anyway, at least you know now where to look in the future when you want to stay informed of upcoming news and events. Thank you for using the forum. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    messicrafter#6700 messicrafter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Well, either someone can't math, or the folks who post here on the forums and those in charge of the launcher don't speak with each other. I can't say which it is, but in this thread we are told the maintenance will be 8.5 hours, yet on the launcher it says maintenance will be between the hours of 5am and 2:30pm. That is 9.5 hours, not 8.5.

So, I will take the longer of those two times as the more accurate, add a couple hours on top of that since these things seem to go longer than planned and will not expect to get into the game until 4:30pm, Cryptic time. I mean, let's be honest, the maintenance yesterday was meant to only be 3 hours, but ended up taking over 7.

If the game is back up before then, great, wonderful, happy day! If not, I'm prepared to not be able to play at all today, since 4:30pm Cryptic time would be just half an hour before I need to start dinner. Far too late to do my daily stuff and playing for only half an hour seems kind of a waste.

They where doing Arc maintenance too.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/10999993-arc-scheduled-maintenance-september-2018

enjin-1234688-19630790-gray.png
    =/\= Member of Star trek Roleplayers and Former Foundry Author in training. =/\=
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I dunno if we need another double xp when I'm seeing the occasional newbie in the fleet finding missions becoming impossible the moment he hits level 65. This game seems to suffer Oblivion Syndrome. I mean unless the person has spent a large amount of money on things like recon destroyer/raptor and has tons of dilithium the huge 30k(80k on crit) photon torp thing and newbies not really knowing the mechanics through and through is going to seriously leave them feeling punished for leveling up fast.

I don't mind so much, as it just means getting more high level chars for queues so I can gain more rewards from events like breach and crystaline catastrophe next time things like that come up(getting me the ships I want sooner, altitus has become power :smile: ). But I doubt this is actually what we really need.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Another XP weekend? Another weekend my new characters stay on a shelf. LOL! I keep getting distracted from leveling up my Delta Recruits...I don't wanna do it so fast. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    We need an Upgrade Weekend bad.. what's the deal?

Yes...that would be nice...I have collected upgrades to send off to the Exchange.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    scotty74321scotty74321 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Ach well ,its just lucky I have a bottle of emergency scotch for these extended down times.
    Laddy, don't you think you should... rephrase that??
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Another XP weekend? Another weekend my new characters stay on a shelf. LOL! I keep getting distracted from leveling up my Delta Recruits...I don't wanna do it so fast. LOL!

I don't blame you, lol.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Ah. Still down I see. Much like the Dilithium reserve. The needs of the main character, can drain the many... like they were one!
  • Options
    husker1964husker1964 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    it's actually 9.5 hours+. 5 am to 2:30 pm PDT today. Plus the downtime Tuesday
  • Options
    xbigxmacx#8793 xbigxmacx Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    If it is software update they could have it done days before and when completed shut server down for 10-15 minutes to launch the update. If i is harware it can take a long long ime, a computer sensitive and if you need hardware updates you need to be carefull with it. One slightly mistake can destroy a whole server and be down weeks. Be happy they take the time to do it safely or you wont be able to play for weeks at all.

Besides i can hardly believe that most has no other game or something else to do to keep busy while the maintanance is in work. Blaming and flaming about its is kinda useless. I dont stop people by say they minds but going all crazy and mad about a 10-12 hour maintanance is a energy waste lol. Have patience, it is a good cause to be.
  • Options
    stormcrow#8086 stormcrow Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Descale the Herring?
    Recombobulate the Discombobulator?
    Charge up the Flux Capacitor?

Did you chop down the tree with the Herring first? Tisk tisk... start over.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Whats kind of mind boggling is if its a scheduled hardware upgrade they should surely know how long that will take prior to the upgrade happening and give a proper timeframe instead of putting up a number then changing it once downtime begins.

Did they suddenly decide to take the engineers out to dinner as a thank you part way through the job?

Or did they hire a outsider to do the job who only works to rough time windows, the sort where afternoon starts at 10am and mornings end at 2pm.
  • Options
    chu78chu78 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    ozy83 wrote: »
    They really ought to rename this game maintenance online. Honestly never encountered a game down for so long in a day.

Or so many times in a week. Geez
This discussion has been closed.