test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Visual spam out of hand?

Comments

• nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Ground is even better. Have all three class proficiency abilities activazed, that command ability that puts a really dumb holo-armour on your character and then add regular weapon effects or nanite healing in the mix. You never see your character under a never ending light show.

Exactly this.. that Holo-Armor needs to disappear.. i definetly want to use the ability, but it looks really dumb on my "old-school" TOS crew, for example... Sometimes i wish i could just give Zephran shotguns to everyone and that's it... pure visuals. Most of the times we don't even know what we are doing anymore.

Post edited by nunoespadinha#0711 on
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Let's play a game, identify what kind of shuttle I have!

I one-up you: Identify which starship I am playing:

RYIhSzY.jpg​​

You somehow haxxor'd your way in to a Borg Pickle Ship and had a raging disco party?
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Okay, alright, here's the solution:

rXZUHrN.jpg

It's a Nebby pig-1.gif

This one actually, although with the T6 mission pod

k7iBSue.jpg​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Oh, I like the Nebula. Even the lower-tier version.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    lies...it's obviously a White Star class

(get it? because it's white and blinding like a st-oh, never mind)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    This is THE ONLY reason why I don't play STO anymore. I simply can't enjoy the combat with such clutter of unnecessary visual effects... I just want an option to disable them...

I tried opening a topic over this issue several times during the years... never yielded any results.

Devs seem uninterested, I am sick of waiting, there are better games out there.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Okay, alright, here's the solution:

rXZUHrN.jpg

It's a Nebby pig-1.gif

This one actually, although with the T6 mission pod

k7iBSue.jpg​​

I still say it's a borg pickle disco ship.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    We need to speak the only real language PWE understands... Money

How about a C-store consumable that unlocks the ability to toggle extraneous visual effects on and off? 2500 Zen.

And before anyone balks at that, this would really amount to just another fluff purchase, which we have spent years demonstrating that we are willing to spend money on.
    Maybe not consumable, but as a permanent unlock, I'd totally buy that.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I assume that any attempt at charging for that would provoke a backlash from some that could claim that the effects were causing medical issues. Surprised there has not been claims to that effect already.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Yeah, some of the flashier effects have the potential to trigger epileptic seizures. I know about this because it was lightning flashes that first triggered my husband's seizures, and before they were put under control with meds he couldn't even sit for flash photos as the flash would almost trigger him.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    I just wish thy add a graphics filter option (like they did for the 'shield ring' back in the day.) I agree that the amount of visual effects spam is ridiculous in STO and with every new power it just gets worse and worse. Some of us WANT to see just the ships in action, the energy and torpedo weapons fire - and the hit and ship damage effects. I could care less about !!! points showing up and some of the other ridiculous spam that comes up when I activate a player/ship ability. YMMV

TLDR: Give us one or more graphics fileters to opt out of all the ridiculous 'Visual Power Spam'.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > Okay, alright, here's the solution:
    >
    >
    >
    > It's a Nebby
    >
    > This one actually, although with the T6 mission pod
    >
    > ​​

Yikes... shame to hide that nice looking ship under that flashy TRIBBLE.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It's still not something that should be charged for.

The amount of visual assault that goes on has a detrimental effect on gameplay with framerate taking a nosedive and every issue that stems from that such as inability to use skills over and above the input delay that plagues the game.
  • hesuspino72#6173 hesuspino72 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the overblown effects are getting pretty ridiculous.
    Never complained about it myself but came back recently after 6 months to find that it's even worse and people have been complaining about it for years.
    Last mission I did on ground 75% of the mission I couldn't see the walls, my teammates, obstacles, or enemies due to the constant kaleidoscope of visual effects. It was like looking through Geordi's visor.
    If it's an effect I need to see so I know where a buff is fine, otherwise it needs to be turned down or off.

just lower your visual effects to medium.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the overblown effects are getting pretty ridiculous.
    Never complained about it myself but came back recently after 6 months to find that it's even worse and people have been complaining about it for years.
    Last mission I did on ground 75% of the mission I couldn't see the walls, my teammates, obstacles, or enemies due to the constant kaleidoscope of visual effects. It was like looking through Geordi's visor.
    If it's an effect I need to see so I know where a buff is fine, otherwise it needs to be turned down or off.

just lower your visual effects to medium.
    That setting does not deactivate any effects.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    We need to speak the only real language PWE understands... Money

How about a C-store consumable that unlocks the ability to toggle extraneous visual effects on and off? 2500 Zen.

And before anyone balks at that, this would really amount to just another fluff purchase, which we have spent years demonstrating that we are willing to spend money on.
    Maybe not consumable, but as a permanent unlock, I'd totally buy that.

I wouldn't. Visual effects should be made to be disabled/limited. Not ever going to pay for that. What's next? Zen for bloom?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Are people quitting over the visual spam, and ONLY the visual spam?

I am... so, yes there are. I can't stand the visual clutter anymore. I just show up every few months to check if they added the "off" option.

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Had a guy in one channel today threaten to leave if they added any lens flare to the game. When i pointed out the visual spam he still argued lens flares were worse than what we've got..... :|
    SulMatuul.png
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Over something that inconsequential? Lol ok then.

It is not trivial at all... as hard as it is for you to understand, there are people who want to be able to see their ship clearly while fighting, also the enemy ships and the surrounding space. Not some flashy, seizure inducing jumble as it is now (has been for years with increasing tendency).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    So you pull a classic "I have a sandwich..." ?

Edit: Aside from the whole "leaving the game" or "threatening to stop buying zen" thing being nonsensical in the first place of course.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    While some of the visual spam is annoying, it isn't annoying enough to leave the game over. My husband also has seizures, so I understand that some flashing effects will induce them. But it would have to be more intense than the flashing I see with the effects to trigger his.

When I take breaks from the game, it's because I need a break to play something totally different or to break from gaming altogether. I've been one to only check in occasionally to see what's going on, or to run an event, but I've never announced it. That's simply attention-getting *Hey, look at me! I'm gonna quit cause I don't like <insert gripe here>!*
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    "I quit" -threads are against the rules here anyway.
    I know, doesn't stop people from posting them anyway, or for posting an 'I quit' response in any number of threads as was posted right here in this one.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.