What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Queues/TFOs, and why most of them don't get played

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Genuine difficulty, the kind i'm sure most players are talking about would be things like giving the enemies the same abilities as players, random actions, faster movements, better pathing, improved AI.
    Have you forgotten the tears of rage that flooded the forums with the Voth and Kazon?

Voth were a simple to explain one since it's a matter of them being able to kill players with reflected damage. Mostly an issue with spike DPS builds though.

Kazon are a hilarious one because they actually DO have less predictable behaviors than most NPCs. Most hilarious is how they'll activate evasive maneuvers seemingly at random during fights.

What's hilarious, is anyone thinking the Kazon are an issue. :) I have the 'Friends in unlike places' mission open, on all my 3 major toons, just so I can run Argala, repeatedly and fast, with ONLY Kazon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Genuine difficulty, the kind i'm sure most players are talking about would be things like giving the enemies the same abilities as players, random actions, faster movements, better pathing, improved AI.
    Have you forgotten the tears of rage that flooded the forums with the Voth and Kazon?

Voth were a simple to explain one since it's a matter of them being able to kill players with reflected damage. Mostly an issue with spike DPS builds though.

Kazon are a hilarious one because they actually DO have less predictable behaviors than most NPCs. Most hilarious is how they'll activate evasive maneuvers seemingly at random during fights.

What's hilarious, is anyone thinking the Kazon are an issue. :) I have the 'Friends in unlike places' mission open, on all my 3 major toons, just so I can run Argala, repeatedly and fast, with ONLY Kazon.

I get annoyed by the pesky Hirogen in Argala, with their subnukes and other debuffs. :p
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

They use Auxilliary to Dampeners, and that's OP for NPCs to have. Immunity to my Gravity Wells is not okay!

Mustrum "They're fine, better than the Hirogen with Subnucleonic Beam" Ridcully

Honestly, the Vaad always gave me more trouble than the Kazon; probably with how hard they can hit and some useful-for-NPC abilities they're packing.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    kyle223cat wrote: »

I get annoyed by the pesky Hirogen in Argala, with their subnukes and other debuffs. :p

Me too. :) Which is what the 'Friends in unlikely places' mission is for: you will only ever get Kazon when patroling Argala that way.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Which is what the 'Friends in unlikely places' mission is for: you will only ever get Kazon when patroling Argala that way.

Thanks that's a handy little tip as I find Kazon in Argala are nothing more than cannon fodder and some sweet sweet xp
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    Which is what the 'Friends in unlikely places' mission is for: you will only ever get Kazon when patroling Argala that way.

Thanks that's a handy little tip as I find Kazon in Argala are nothing more than cannon fodder and some sweet sweet xp

Yw. :) Be sure not to end the 5th wave, of course. 'Friends in unlikely places' is a one-time only mission: once you completed it (at the start of Delta, iirc), it will be taken away from away from your available missions. But others can still share it with you. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

I don't have an issue with it really, but it's something people complained about on the forum. Probably people using cannon spike-dps builds. It's not that they are dangerous, just annoying sometimes. Lining up an alpha with CSV would sometimes result in them zipping out of the way and your attack run mostly getting wasted because the enemy left your firing arc. People complained because the enemy things actually had a meaningful ability that the players needed to do something to counter instead of simply face rolling them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Hehe at least they seem to slowly realize by now that just re-labeling the queues and randomizing the instance might just not be enough to revitalize PvE:

https://twitter.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1042581868342702080

I don’t use twitter but if anybody could link this thread there it would be most appreciated.

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yea I saw that @peterconnorfirst
    Looks like they might have realised that they’ve not calculated this out too well.

The so called random TFO’s seem to be unlikely to solve the issues being discussed and brought up here.
    They won’t stop people going for easy reward options as long as things like the RA multibox farce exist.
    They won’t get people who hate ground to play more as they’ll just give up or drop out of a ground map appears. Or they’ll stop using the system altogether.
    They won’t stop queues with more complex mechanics and quirky aspects being ruined because pugs cannot handle them and the game barely encourages teamwork or basic communication.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yea I saw that @peterconnorfirst
    Looks like they might have realised that they’ve not calculated this out too well.

The so called random TFO’s seem to be unlikely to solve the issues being discussed and brought up here.
    They won’t stop people going for easy reward options as long as things like the RA multibox farce exist.
    They won’t get people who hate ground to play more as they’ll just give up or drop out of a ground map appears. Or they’ll stop using the system altogether.
    They won’t stop queues with more complex mechanics and quirky aspects being ruined because pugs cannot handle them and the game barely encourages teamwork or basic communication.

Yep I agree, but who knows.
    If they would at the very least reconsider some of the rewards on the PvE maps perhaps it would help a bit.
    It completely escapes me how Atmosphere Assault yesterday rewarded me with 350-400 multiple choice marks on 7 minute (not at all hard) runs while FEZ grands a third of that at best after 20 minutes of tense engagement. :/

The shuttle map is easy as poo and does not even require an half assed excuse of a build while FEZ allows only top of the line equipped starships and well experienced teams.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    While this isn't precisely on-topic, given the disappearance of the # players queued info on the tribble PvE queue UI, things will be very random indeed even if not using the rtfo system. Part of playing the queues for many is "hey let's get a couple players together and make this queue pop" when a 3/5 or 7/10 is seen.

In other words it pretty well takes any opportunistic queuing out of the picture if it goes live in it's current form (unless this is for testing purposes only). How would you even put out a LF2M call unless it's private, which is not the emphasis here? Does anybody know anything about this?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    protoneous wrote: »
    While this isn't precisely on-topic, given the disappearance of the # players queued info on the tribble PvE queue UI, things will be very random indeed even if not using the rtfo system. Part of playing the queues for many is "hey let's get a couple players together and make this queue pop" when a 3/5 or 7/10 is seen.

In other words it pretty well takes any opportunistic queuing out of the picture if it goes live in it's current form (unless this is for testing purposes only). How would you even put out a LF2M call unless it's private, which is not the emphasis here? Does anybody know anything about this?

Urgs, they are about to remove the numbers of players in line for a map info? :(

That is not an improvement at all.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Urgs, they are about to remove the numbers of players in line for a map info? :(

That is not an improvement at all.
    This is why I inquired (screenshot is fresh from Tribble).

Edit: (for clarity) the only way to see how many are queued is to highlight the queue then the number in the queued box at upper left will change from none to the number of people queued.

Dat9JQL.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Oh boy but in any case thanks a lot @protoneous

Stay tuned for even longer wait times in queues with opportunistic queuing out of the question. Half of my gaming time I just like to play whatever and I can not tell how often I line my teams up just because it happens to fit for the repective numbers of players in line of a certain map.

Here is to one step ahead and two steps back...
    animated.gif
  • Options
    Tbh I was thinking of you and your gang when I posted this (many other groups would use the same method though).

But opportunistic applies very much to individuals as well. There are many times when a lot of us scan the queues and come across a queue that may not pop too often that just needs another player or two.

Many good times have been had via this method either way.
  • Options
    Tbh I was thinking of you and your gang when I posted this (many other groups would use the same method though).

But opportunistic applies very much to individuals as well. There are many times when a lot of us scan the queues and come across a queue that may not pop too often that just needs another player or two.

Many good times have been had via this method either way.

Hell yea! :/
    animated.gif
  • Options
    @protoneous this is something I spotted right away and it’s a huge issue I think.
    Nobody will know how popular any of the queues are if they cannot see the number of people queued.
    I’m highly suspicious of why that column has been dropped and it smacks of when they claimed the dead queues was a “reporting issue” a few years back.
    Personally I think they are hoping that by hiding the lack of people playing them, people won’t be able to moan about dead queues. Combined with the randoms and they probably think we’ll all just be using that system to fill things up.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    @lordsteve1 yes it's been this way for a little while and couldn't figure out why it hadn't been brought up sooner. I thought that perhaps it had and I'd missed the discussion (hence my general inquiry). Perhaps it will get some more direct attention in the tribble feedback section as I can see them trying to change some established patterns for queuing but this breaks some positive patterns as well.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    they already did...there's borg wreckage near a big hole in the sphere in one of the zones​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I've posted some of the common concerns initially expressed here with respect to the missing queue UI info to the dev in charge of Tribble updates in the thread where the patch took place as well as provided a link to you folks back up here so he can check out some of your fine suggestions. Feel free to take this downstairs to the Tribble feedback section as well if you have any concerns with the new queue UI where it may get some more direct attention.
  • Options
    I've posted some of the common concerns initially expressed here with respect to the missing queue UI info to the dev in charge of Tribble updates in the thread where the patch took place as well as provided a link to you folks back up here so he can check out some of your fine suggestions. Feel free to take this downstairs to the Tribble feedback section as well if you have any concerns with the new queue UI where it may get some more direct attention.

Again thank you @protoneous :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Edit: (for clarity) the only way to see how many are queued is to highlight the queue then the number in the queued box at upper left will change from none to the number of people queued.
    That box is the category button for the queues you are currently waiting in and the number shows how many queues are in it, not the number of people in those queues.
    Nobody will know how popular any of the queues are if they cannot see the number of people queued.
    I’m highly suspicious of why that column has been dropped and it smacks of when they claimed the dead queues was a “reporting issue” a few years back.
    Personally I think they are hoping that by hiding the lack of people playing them, people won’t be able to moan about dead queues. Combined with the randoms and they probably think we’ll all just be using that system to fill things up.
    That's pretty obvious. Same as last time, when they removed the number of people playing the mission.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    That box is the category button for the queues you are currently waiting in and the number shows how many queues are in it, not the number of people in those queues.
    Thanks for the correction. So then there isn't any way to check the number of people queued for a particular map before queuing? How about after joining the queue?

• Options
    > @protoneous said:
    > warpangel wrote: »
    >
    > protoneous wrote: »
    >
    > Edit: (for clarity) the only way to see how many are queued is to highlight the queue then the number in the queued box at upper left will change from none to the number of people queued.
    >
    >
    >
    > That box is the category button for the queues you are currently waiting in and the number shows how many queues are in it, not the number of people in those queues.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for the correction. So then there isn't any way to check the number of people queued for a particular map before queuing? How about after joining the queue?

Not that I’ve seen, unless it’s somewhere not very obvious.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction. So then there isn't any way to check the number of people queued for a particular map before queuing? How about after joining the queue?
    If it pops, it's full, if it doesn't, it's not. No other info.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    If there's a queue I really want to play but it's slow - I go run the little pop-up missions with it waiting. Or battlezones.

Question is with random if people are in the queue will it drop random people in to fill it out if the wheels spin correctly?

Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    @protoneous It is indeed incredibly disturbing if the queue window will be released to Holodeck in such a state. Hopefully they come to their senses and restore the "people queued" counter.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    FYI: I pointed this thread out to Kael for feedback suggestions.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.