test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Mobile ?

reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
Ok now first off am not suggesting that STO can run on a mobile as it is (because I am pretty sure it cant) nor am I suggesting an app for doffing etc.

However I do think that a cut down version of the engine could fill a gap in the mobile market and be quite a nice little earner for PWE

I do not know how feasible this would be in terms of running it on android/ios but when you have things such as fortnight and PUBG and the upcoming Elder Scrolls Blades, it does look possible.

As it stands there are some Star Trek mobile games but tbh I have struggled to enjoy them (Timelines was a convoluted mess with poor space combat and a mental grind with really confusing systems, Trexels 1 and 2 were ok and the combat has improved but it is not as good as it could be, the new card game one looks good but really not suited to trek).

What I propose is a hugely cut down version of the engine and set way before STO during the conflict in the Demilitarised zone between the Marquis and the Cardassian equivalent.

First off the playable ships would be no bigger than a maquis raider and there is an opportunity to introduce new designs for various smaller craft from freighters to small patrol ships. NPCs representing the Federation and Cardassians could have larger ships to represent the patrol ships on their respective sides of the zone. There should be a good degree of customisation for these ships to represent the varied marquis/cardassian crews.

Combat would be a mixture of pvp/pve (but possibly not forced pvp) with the factions raiding convoys and each others ships/bases. I am not sure if it should be just space combat or space and ground because I don't know how demanding that would be even with a cut down system. Certainly if it were possible it would be great to actually board freighters or bases and transporter tag stuff. The ships would have more weapon slots than a usual small craft representing the ingenuity of the factions and the fact they don't always follow regulations.

Crews would be the captain and up to 3 "crew" (Boffs basically) as there would not be the need to have a huge number of boffs (especially if there isn't any combat). I would also tone down the more graphically intensive Boff powers and maybe have some more era appropriate ones. I think even as basic graphics sto can still be pretty good.

Map wise it would be a tiny fraction of the current sto map zoomed in to cover just the demilitarised zone and a small strip of federation and cardassian space either side. The Badlands would feature also as it is a major maquis area. I would maybe have DS9 and/or Bajor but they aren't essential.

Plot wise you could certainly have fun with the pve side and I think a group of maquis raiders trying to take down a galor class could be quite fun if balanced properly.

You could even maybe have a facility to copy a character from STO to the mobile game or vice versa (Although that would be a little hard to explain given the time jump).

I think if it can be done there is a lot of potential for challenging missions like raiding bases, breaking people out of prison.

PWE could make money out of lockboxes as they do in STO as well as in app purchases (Although I would make them strongboxes and make you raid heavily guarded convoys so its like a heist)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They bodged the console port so why would a mobile port/alt version be any better?
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Try Parsec Streaming.. i play with my tablet at full resolution and its free!, of course you need a good internet connection, but it simplified my life a lot!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    I'd like to see the portal come back, so you can see what other people are doing with thier ships and crews.. adding admiralty/doffing would be a nice bonus
    Spock.jpg

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i give 5 years until mobile diveces will be as strong as pc's ... 15 until skynet
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    PWE would need to negotiate a new license for this, and come up with the funds.

Fortnite and PUBG are billion dollar revenue games, STO is not.

It's an interesting idea, but it's not going to happen.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I would be happy if I could just do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone.. but obviously that's not going to happen.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Neverwinter had something, but word is it was removed because people found a way to game the system BIG time.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    pryor#5476 wrote: »
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i give 5 years until mobile diveces will be as strong as pc's ... 15 until skynet

They are as powerful as Pc's now, in fact the tablet I'm on now 2X the speed and power of my dedicated STO PC,
    Just got to get passed Coding, Microsoft Politics.
    The STO game engine is all code DESIGNED to run in a specific browser, the interface used on your PC is just an advanced browser with extra sets of libraries to control the game and deliver content to YOU.

Thanks, that was really funny.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    > @pryor#5476 said:
    > garaks31 wrote: »
    >
    > i give 5 years until mobile diveces will be as strong as pc's ... 15 until skynet
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They are as powerful as Pc's now, in fact the tablet I'm on now 2X the speed and power of my dedicated STO PC,
    > Just got to get passed Coding, Microsoft Politics.
    > The STO game engine is all code DESIGNED to run in a specific browser, the interface used on your PC is just an advanced browser with extra sets of libraries to control the game and deliver content to YOU.

Tablets now might be getting powerful but they are nowhere near the power of an actual PC. And even a basic gaming rig will literally wipe the floor with a tablet so there’s no way the two can be compared.

And STO might be old but it’s still a crazily complex piece of software to get to run in a mere tablet. Don’t kid yourself buy making such statements.
    SulMatuul.png
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    I would be happy if I could just do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone.. but obviously that's not going to happen.

and let's be honest CBS is guarding this IP with tooth and nail. (and milking it ofc.) Mobile app won't happen from Cryptic.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > I would be happy if I could just do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone.. but obviously that's not going to happen.

I’ve been wanting this for a long time.
  • I would love to see a mobile version of this game put onto android. I think it would be widely played and highly recommended throughout the Trekkie /trekker ranks of fans and newbies alike. It might even bring in more interest from people that normally wouldn't like or enjoy star trek as a whole.

What does everyone think of this idea???
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Admiralty mobile app!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > I would be happy if I could just do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone.. but obviously that's not going to happen.

Doffing WAS on the old 'Gateway' in principle, but rarely - if ever- worked.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/STO_Gateway

I remember it.. it it was more like never worked. :wink:
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I'd like to see a mobile version of the old star trek starfleet command games.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @seaofsorrows said:

Doffing WAS on the old 'Gateway' in principle, but rarely - if ever- worked.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/STO_Gateway

I remember it.. it it was more like never worked. :wink:

Yea doffing never worked.
    The highest level of interaction allowed there was to manage fleet-projects and donating to them. Back at the day Doozer and I were the only peeps in OCD who tended to Third Watch sub fleet before the Armada system. I could bring up projects from work and donate to them while she doubted here senses as those thingies seemingly filled by themselves with her being only one actively online in game. :D
    Too bad it was all abandoned. Having a browser based system for admiralty and doffing available would be such a mega asset. I could get rid of all the dull parts of STO while traveling to and from work each day and could directly dive into fun when I get home.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    pIWTn8y.png

Merged: @cptjtpicard89

Please make sure there isn't already an active thread on the topic before starting a new thread. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.