test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Forums] Trying Out Reactions

Comments

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > They may change their minds if the tribal conflict ends up being "Players vs. Devs".

Ooooo now that would be interesting.
    Wonder what would happen if every dev blog got downvote to hell? Under the current system does it not push it down the forum? So potentially threads can be hidden.
    SulMatuul.png
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > They may change their minds if the tribal conflict ends up being "Players vs. Devs".

Ooooo now that would be interesting.
    Wonder what would happen if every dev blog got downvote to hell? Under the current system does it not push it down the forum? So potentially threads can be hidden.

According to one of the mods, downvoting can bury a thread, even if it was the most recently posted in thread. From what I see going on in the Support Cruiser thread, users that are unhappy with no Romulan and Jem'Hadar ships being released at the same time are hammering that thread. The thread has basically gone from being about two new ships which are awesome and welcome additions to STO, to being about what people didn't get.

The Orville's episode, Majority Rule, is a good example of what can go wrong with this system.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    I'm also interested in seeing this put to the test.

@ambassadorkael#6946, @baddmoonrizin, @darkbladejk, @starswordc,

To the moderators, I recommend creating three threads in "General Discussion" that ask people to vote them up or down:
    • an up-vote thread,
    • a down-vote thread, and
    • a stickied down-vote thread.
    Is it actually possible to bury a sticky thread? Let's put it to the test, shall we?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    frtoaster wrote: »
    "Ambiguity [that] allows for creative reinterpretation" is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. If you think that's a positive, then we're never going to agree. If you label the "Off Topic" button "Yellow Alert", then people are going to press it for trivial disagreements they have with a post. A moderator looking at the post won't know why it was flagged.

The off topic button, from what we've been told, doesn't flag a post for moderation (may just influence post rating in addition to up/down) and a yellow alert doesn't have the same negative connotations as the downvote button folks can spam now. Ambiguity (and a contrast with successful context-driven application) diffuses the impact. If I get a bunch of yellow alerts for saying "I think the last two c-store bundles were perfectly alright" it doesn't have clear meaning. But if someone's pushing moderation by targeting other users in discussion, then yellow alert ratings carries more interpretive significance. Context-dependence effectively highlights spam as spam, and the more reductive a reaction system is the easier it is for spam to pass itself off as discourse.

Humans are creative and I don't think it's beyond the capacity of anyone to find situations where they could use those buttons to reasonable effect (fitting generalized symbiology to personal experience is no less than intrinsic to human communication.) But all this basically just fits as an attempt to do better than the internet default (and maybe something that's not at all possible with the tools Vanilla is providing Cryptic.)
    I am doubtful of humanity's ability to correctly interpret things through context. Misunderstandings occur even between people who speak the same language and are culturally similar. When you add cultural differences and linguistic barriers, misunderstandings are even more likely.

Communication begins with a shared frame of reference. Ie. context. Deliberate misunderstanding is the more detrimental force in human history and polarizing mechanisms that reduce conversation to a tribal binary contribute directly to it.

It's pandora's box as represented by the monster from Forbidden Planet. ;)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Unfortunate for Kael. He just put the choice to the readers....not his moderators.

I think most of the folks here on the Forums are older...we "get" protesting, we grew up in the 60's and 70's. My enemies become my friends when it comes to fighting for a cause. You just gave us ALL one big TRIBBLE cause to fight for.

Kael, remember: we are not like the kids these days, who hide from other people with differing opinions. We embrace differing opinions, want to hear all sides, and argue through them. Because in the end we come out learning more from it.

Fess up and TELL us adults WHAT you want the forums to be....instead of go for subversive actions and scare tactics??? Trying to control from a threatening position like you have been by shadow banning and jail bars.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"General Discussion" is the open discussion area. The criteria was: topics centered about STO. Move General Discussion DOWN the list of the main CATEGORIES instead of up top.

To make the rest easier to find.....Pare down the main Categories page to: News, Feedback, Bug Reports, Need Advice, STO Foundry, General STO Discussion, 10 Forward Off Topic Discussions, Test Servers.

Current category "Feedback" has become repetitive, remove it or start using it. YOU don't even use the "Feedback" for feedback....you are using NEWS!!! For Christ's sake. New people come to the NEWS category for news...not arguments about changes to the Forums. Not to give their thought about new missions and mechanics and UI.

"Support" is misleading and it makes it sound as if there are Official Customer Support and Game Masters and other help from Cryptic and PWE side....like from Devs and programmers. And it is not what it actually is. You don't need it.

"Media Corps" (if you even need that) and "Fleets"...Cryptic doesn't even interact with....can be a folder inside General Discussion. Because it is about the game, after all. Edit: Shoot, come to think of it....YOU don't even use "Media Corps" to post links to YOUR 10 Forward Weekly broadcasts.

Category "Need Advice" can hold folders for "Player Guides" and "Ship Builds" (and call it that because that is what the players call it).
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »

I'm not calling it direct censorship-it's a method of burying, that is, reducing the impact and promoting orthodoxy. Thread (or more often, poster) gets down vote and down vote and down vote, it hits the Archive, and it's done.
    That's not how archive works. When a topic is 6 months old, it gets automatically archived. That's Reddit's pagewide design, and you can argue whether it's right or not, but it has absolutely nothing to do with r/sto and r/stobuilds moderators suppressing dissenting views.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    let's see...the first one is a "Gimme more stuff thread", and the Devs love those. it's not critical so much as showing a hunger for more of the same.

Then we have the bug report UI thing-which is mildly critical, but the newest post is eight days old.

and the random task force thread's newest post is nine days old.

now I know Reddit's a lot busier than that, but your examples are all sitting somewhere on the far side of two to three pages in-there's not much activity, particularly compared to the Forum, on those topics, and that's kind of my point-the community on Reddit is vastly less critical than here, and this is further evidenced by the simple fact those hothouse flowers at Cryptic avoid their own forum in favour of Reddit, which is far more inclined to stroke their egoes than to tell them when they've **** up.
    So you're trying to claim that just because no one has decided to throw s--t at Cryptic in the latest 24h, Reddit consists of white knights? Man, you're just ridiculous. Again, when Cryptic actually f--ks something up (something major that actually counts, not something silly that will rile up bunch of clueless forumites, but is actually a non-issue), you can be sure that there will be criticism. Just like in each of those archived thread examples I provided.
    Also, lucky me, a thread like that exists. A critical post with 45 upvotes done only 20h ago (talking about top comment made by /u/torpedoguy). Or is it not critical enough cause it doesn't contain enough derogatory slurs?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/9glzut/why_can_i_only_fire_one_torpedo_at_a_time/

Remember the post @alcaatraz posted few hours ago to my thread, that you even upvoted?
    Well, guess what, he's a r/stobuilds moderator (and naturally posts on Reddit *far* more often than in here), and already that post of his alone got more substance than your entire 8.5k posting history.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @where2r1 said:
    > Unfortunate for Kael. He just put the choice to the readers....not his moderators.
    >
    > I think most of the folks here on the Forums are older...we "get" protesting, we grew up in the 60's and 70's. My enemies become my friends when it comes to fighting for a cause. You just gave us ALL one big **** cause to fight for.
    >
    > Kael, remember: we are not like the kids these days, who hide from other people with differing opinions. We embrace differing opinions, want to hear all sides, and argue through them. Because in the end we come out learning more from it.
    >
    > Fess up and TELL us adults WHAT you want the forums to be....instead of go for subversive actions and scare tactics??? Trying to control from a threatening position like you have been by shadow banning and jail bars.

(Unprofessional remarks removed.)

Second of all, everything you just described about the forums is already the case, and everything you're complaining about, shadowbans especially, are STANDARD on all but one forum I've ever been on, whether official company forum or fan-run. The jail bars are our version of user probation, a disciplinary measure for violating the Community Rules and Policies that are prominently posted at the top of the forum and, by the by, should be more than enough of a clue towards the kind of board we want. Muting people is reserved for repeat offenders who have yet to do anything deserving a permanent ban, which is something we don't hand out lightly.

Thirdly: The Support forum serves exactly the purpose it says it does. The devs don't personally respond to every single solitary report because they plain don't have time: the game has well over a million players, so do the math on how many reports they probably get a day. Ditto GMs: they correspond with us moderators on occasion but as a general rule you will NOT get direct feedback on reports.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Unfortunate for Kael. He just put the choice to the readers....not his moderators.

I think most of the folks here on the Forums are older...we "get" protesting, we grew up in the 60's and 70's.

I generally like what you have to say, but I feel there's entirely too much generalization going on here. :)
    My enemies become my friends when it comes to fighting for a cause. You just gave us ALL one big **** cause to fight for.

Hmm, not sure how to say this politely, but this, sorry, sounds a bit, erm, childish, tbh. This isn't Woodstock. We're not protesting war here, or fightig oppression. Let's not get overboard, please. What 'we' are trying to accomplish here (or at least I am), is to simply get Cryptic to see the error of their ways, with rational arguments. Downvoting -- especially when allowed to be done unencumberedly -- is simply fraught with negative side-effects that I think are undesirable on this forum.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I think most of the folks here on the Forums are older...we "get" protesting, we grew up in the 60's and 70's.

I generally like what you have to say, but I feel there's entirely too much generalization going on here. :)
    My enemies become my friends when it comes to fighting for a cause. You just gave us ALL one big **** cause to fight for.

Hmm, not sure how to say this politely, but this, sorry, sounds a bit, erm, childish, tbh. This isn't Woodstock. We're not protesting war here, or fightig oppression. Let's not get overboard, please. What 'we' are trying to accomplish here (or at least I am), is to simply get Cryptic to see the error of their ways, with rational arguments. Downvoting -- especially when allowed to be done unencumberedly -- is simply fraught with negative side-effects that I think are undesirable on this forum.

I would have clicked the Insightful button as well for your post, but Kael took it away!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This is their goal:

https://youtu.be/tx9mn-Oy_jQ
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    Since opinions can't be wrong - I don't really see the point of up/down votes. Essentially all that it is saying is 'yes I agree with your opinion' or 'no I don't'.

In other sites that I have visited - this type of voting can often result in people skimming past any posts with down votes and seeking out only those with 'up' votes (I've been guilty of this myself - and it's an easy 'auto pilot' habit to fall in to, if your time is limited).
    When that happens a whole thread/sub-forum can become an echo chamber of whoever has the most popular opinion at that time.

Combining the above points, with the idea of sinking or raising a thread based on votes would seem (to me) to be a complete antithesis of what a forum is supposed to be (as defined in a dictionary).
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    These buttons are perfect. Also, I want a "Banned" button.

I have a "banned" button. :mrgreen:

You're living my dream. :'(
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Since opinions can't be wrong - I don't really see the point of up/down votes. Essentially all that it is saying is 'yes I agree with your opinion' or 'no I don't'.

In other sites that I have visited - this type of voting can often result in people skimming past any posts with down votes and seeking out only those with 'up' votes (I've been guilty of this myself - and it's an easy 'auto pilot' habit to fall in to, if your time is limited).
    When that happens a whole thread/sub-forum can become an echo chamber of whoever has the most popular opinion at that time.

Combining the above points, with the idea of sinking or raising a thread based on votes would seem (to me) to be a complete antithesis of what a forum is supposed to be (as defined in a dictionary).

So much this. I will neither upvote or downvote anyones posts.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Hey folks,

I've reduced the number of reactions to just Off Topic and Upvote/Downvote. See how you like that.

This whole idea was doomed and not well thought out of to begin with. If we wanted reddit, we'd be on reddit. Just scrap the whole thing and let the forums be.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Is he/she?! We have a saying in Dutch, "Tall trees catch a lof of wind." Personally, I'd shiver at the idea of ppl hating me, just because I had to take some administrative measure. Not saying BMR is hated, btw, but I rather just post, and not worry about ppl being mad at me because I closed their thread, commented out a post, etc. As it stands, I don't even like it when I get downvoted. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Is he/she?! We have a saying in Dutch, "Tall trees catch a lof of wind." Personally, I'd shiver at the idea of ppl hating me, just because I had to take some administrative measure. Not saying BMR is hated, btw, but I rather just post, and not worry about ppl being mad at me because I closed their thread, commented out a post, etc. As it stands, I don't even like it when I get downvoted. :)

It's a joke: @hawku001x is the mind behind the "Ban the Person Above You" thread game in Ten Forward.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Hey folks,

I've reduced the number of reactions to just Off Topic and Upvote/Downvote. See how you like that.

Just my luck :cry:

I got an 'Insightful' and 'LOL', only to loose them....

*sigh*
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Bars are Naming and Shaming and are against the ToS.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    MAYBE WE ARE ALL GETTING JUST A TAD BIT OVERWORKED ABOUT THIS STUFF???

So.... I made my post this morning at 6am.
    Most kids would go frickin' berserk after reading that sort of post.

Guess what??? I got a grand total of one down vote....hard to guess, from who.

I even came back at lunch break to start a cavalcade of up and down votes, in hopes to get the "cliques" to get in on the action of down voting my post "for their friend".

Meimeitoo...rat me out, why don't you???

StarswordC...sorry you got hurt by my comments.
    I usually heavily edit myself. This morning I did not. I just wrote what I thought as I thought it, I didn't care. I knew it was going to elicit knee jerk responses from the peanut gallery. What I was NOT expecting was: a knee-jerk reaction from a MODERATOR.

Seriously, consider you may not have the disposition for the job. Moderator hat on or moderator hat off...is no excuse for lashing out and I am afraid some of your "actions" you take as moderator may be reflective of this.

And Frtoaster....yeah, you don't need to do "tests" elsewhere. THIS should tell you all you need know. BTW...I don't like that YOU came up with a better conspiracy theory than I ever did about all this.

And Armada Leader...of course, I was just targeting you to down vote. What??? You knew I would.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    And Armada Leader...of course, I was just targeting you to down vote. What??? You knew I would.

And that kind of attitude is why down votes just don't work. Pointless and retaliatory.

If you disagree with a person, state your reasons why and then have a discussion about it, surely that is the purpose of a forum?
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    My personal opinion of reactions? We need three.
    — Agree
    — Respectfully Disagree
    — LOL

None of which should affect thread order on the forum.
    I think it still looks a little cluttered. Just go down to "LOL". That is the only button I came close to using so far since this new feature was implemented.
    redvenge wrote: »
    — Agree
    — Respectfully Disagree
    — LOL

I think it still looks a little cluttered. Just go down to "LOL". That is the only button I came close to using so far since this new feature was implemented.

Maybe they could take a page from South Park and give us, Giant Douche and TRIBBLE Sandwich instead of Vote Up and Vote Down..
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    — Agree
    — Respectfully Disagree
    — LOL

basically what we got now.
    so all you are lobbying for is a name change on vote down but not to remove it?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.