test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Planning to "GO PLATINUM" for my birthday. Need a MAJOR STO question answered.

wdwormack214wdwormack214 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
I have enjoyed running STAR TREK ONLINE. Even though the program, has been severely difficult, (make that, 'unwelcoming) to use, as a 'Silver-level' participant.

I will turn 63 this November. I plan to 'treat' myself, with a STO "Lifetime Subscription". I have looked at the Lifetime Subscription page 'features', and they are very appealing. It has been very frustrating to make "C-Store purchases", (ships, costumes, etc), only to find that I am unable to fully use the things that I've been buying.

I am just 'curious'. Is the "LS", a one-time-payment or is it a 'recurring' payment? I am committed to doing this this November. But I simply want to know if I will have to make the payments on a 'annual' basis (Like 'Amazon Prime').

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    It's a single payment on your credit card. You may want to save $100 and wait for a sale. Think there's usually about two per year.

I am just 'curious' to know what you've found severely difficult/unwelcoming/frustrating/unable to fully use as a silver player that going lifetime will fix? There's a pack in the C-store called an elite starter pack that's a pretty good deal you may want to look at but if you do decide to go lifetime happy birthday in advance :smile:

What I find nice about the lifetime are the Tier 6 vet ship, extra respec tokens, credit cap increase, and extra account/bank/inventory slots. Quite a few of these are taken care of with the elite starter pack. The rest is just fluff.

At 500 zen per month stipend (PC only) it's already paid for itself over the years, but there's something about your expectations or at least some of the descriptives you use that don't seem quite right. I have a free to play account as well, but the bulk of the difference comparing it to my main account is mainly the ships, event ships, ship packs, and expansion packs I've purchased on my main account over time.

Lifetime Subscription Link
    Additional Lifetime Subscription Rewards Link
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    ... am just 'curious'. Is the "LS", a one-time-payment or is it a 'recurring' payment? I am committed to doing this this November. But I simply want to know if I will have to make the payments on a 'annual' basis (Like 'Amazon Prime').

It's a one time payment - although I don't know if it's worth it anymore. I don't regret getting my LTS, but I got mine before the game went live and was a $15/month subscription. To be honest with all the changes over the years I'm not sure if I'd do it again. Most of the benefits are now covered by the elite starter pack which is much cheaper than the LTS and achievable through gameplay. The costume unlocks and emotes I never really use. I do like the veteran ship and use it 'cause I have it but over the years I've unlocked other ships that are just as good that I also use. So the last mentionable benefit is the stipend which could take you two years to break even on using the C-Store pricing.

But if you're committed to treating yourself go for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the LTS and to allay your concerns it is only a one time purchase that after two years is nothing but a benefit.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I got my LTS at the end of 2014 so the 500 zen stipend has paid it back by now.

LTS is a big basket of nice things, including the ships, respec tokens and 5% XP gain for new characters, android boff, liberated Borg race, extra bank space, ship space, etc.

I don't think any of that is really necessary though, just nice to have.
    It has been very frustrating to make "C-Store purchases", (ships, costumes, etc), only to find that I am unable to fully use the things that I've been buying.

I'm not sure what difference the LTS would make for using your ships and costumes, what do you think it would change?
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Don't do it because you think something will improve. It won't.

The way the game plays, exactly the same. The C-store is exactly the same...including prices.

You still have to figure out how to get the fancy gear for your ship...it is the same gear. You still have to take steps to collect the unrefined Dilithium. You still have to collect marks to fill out Reputations and collect points to fill out Specialization. You don't get to do different missions, you don't get access to new stuff in advance in pristine unbugged conditions....you will get it while in testing.

Everything while playing the game is exactly the same.

There is a list of "extras" here....
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Veteran_Rewards
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/3026993

ASK QUESTIONS as to usefulness of items listed, please.
    It is a lot of money.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I concur with everyone else. Everything will still be the same whether you get the LTS or remain F2P.

I'm puzzled by what c-store items you can't fully use after buying? If it's a ship, then some are faction-only. The Roms can now use most of their allied faction's ships. Fed players still can't use Rom/KDF ships.

Some costumes are also faction-locked, I think.

So becoming a LTS will only get you the 500 z stipend (on computer) and some very nice extras like more costumes, respec tokens, ships, playable Liberated Borg and Talaxians, a mugato baby pet, etc.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Best purchase I ever made going Lifetime. But as others have said wait till a Lifetime sub sale.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I feel the lifetime sub was worth it as well, but that is because I purchased mine before the game went live. The stipend is nice and it adds up if you are a little patient. The playable Liberated Borg Fed, Klingon, and Romulan race options are nice and a very good perk. The Veteran ships are also really nice ships. The Veteran Hull Type is something I personally rarely use but it is there.

The Captain's Table is a nice place to visit a few times but it is quickly forgotten. Sadly, this is due to the lack of being a one-stop shop for players and because it doesn't offer anything more outside of requiring an extra map transfer to get to. The Veteran uniforms are okay but to each their own. More options are not a bad thing though.

What I think would make a Lifetime Sub more attractive to players to this day is if the Lifetime Rewards were extended again. Adding to it just adds value to the subscription, which further gives players that haven't subscribed more reasons than before. I think adding a Lifetime Tab to the C-Store with Lifetimer specific bundles with extras or that offer even slightly more value might make the subscription more compelling. Like a 25 key bundle for $20 all of the time, but only available to those with lifetime subs. It's just an extra thanks on things that would, at least me, coming back for more. Adding a +2 Lobi for each lock box opened would also be a nice perk to see added. Little things is really what the lifetime sub is all about.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    The STO gods heard your desire and put a Lifetime sale from 9/28 to 10/1. I hope you grabbed it then and saved $100. If not, the next sale probably won't come around again for 6 months.
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I don't know how to find out how long ago I bought my LTS, I think it was close to two years ago now. Also, since I'm not sure exactly when I got it, i'm not sure when I'm supposed to get my monthly stipend. Without that knowledge I can't be sure but it sure seems like there's been more than once that I didn't get, but who knows.

The thing is, if I hadn't already gotten it (the LTS), I would most definitely still get it. I see a lot of people who always say that they're not sure if it's worth it anymore, but subsequent comments I also see a lot leads me to believe that those peoples main "gripe" isn't really that it's not worth it, but solely the fact that nothing new has been added to the LTS perk package in forever. Not saying that that is the case, just that it kinda seems that way as most everyone that has purchased it relatively recently seem quite happy with it. Although I am going to put on my EV suit just in case, I hope that clarifying that it only appears that way to me will avoid any flames or toxic stuff being sent my way.

It seems that your (the OPs) main questions have already been answered, just my 2 GPLs woth here. My wife and son both have a F2P account but my wife rarely ever plays and my son is always on the road and can't play since he doesn't own a laptop to take with him so I play their accounts somewhat regularly just so they don't miss out on event rewards and stuff so I can confirm that as far as gameplay goes there is no noticeable difference between F2P and LTS. The XP bonus for LTS does make a difference but is really only noticeable if someone were to play a brand new toon as a LTS and as a F2P at the "same time".

Since they came up with the Elite starter pack, the LTS perks compared to what someone could get and never spend a dime of real money aren't that much anymore so it's really just a matter of personal opinion as to whether LTS is worth the money or not. It's actually always been that way, there's just a much narrower gap between F2P and LTS than there was before.

Although I did gett exactly what I paid for with my LTS, as others have said, especially since the Elite starter pack was put in, it would be nice if Cryptic "updated" the LTS perks. Who knows, it might happen anyway, I'm sure the bean counters at Cryptic will take notice as to whether LTS sales have dropped since the Elite pack came out and monthly subs got canned and if so, will maybe, hopefully, make changes to the LTS perks to make it more tempting to buy.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    @wdwormack214

I too purchased my Lifetime Sub when the game wasn't operating under the Free2play plan, because 18months of paid sub would have amounted to what I paid in the once-off payment.
    I waited for the sale though, I didn't pay full price.
    As recommended above, that is the best time to purchase an LTS if you want it.

In terms of practical benefit, the only real merit is the free 500 C-points a month.
    If you save them up long enough, they can discount or purchase certain packs/C-store items completely free.
    For example, I only paid $10 for my Europa class starship today because I'd stockpiled my free points for a while.
    Or just trade the points for Dil if you are not interested in store purchases.

For my personal fun factor, I love the LiberatedBorg species unlock that came with the LTS, that is my favorite playable species.
    There's also a Talaxian species unlock.
    Both of these are exclusive to the LTS, they aren't available elsewhere.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    the zen stipend is nice
    We Want Vic Fontaine