test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Adaptation"

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
edited September 2018 in Galactic News Network [PC]
A changeling finds a secret that could end the war with the Hu'rq, in our final fiction blog from Victory is Life!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11001393-"adaptation"

Comments

• sethmorpeussethmorpeus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    There's a war with the Hu'rq? I just had a few battles and we were friends......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    47th Defense Division:Special Ops
    Fleet Director
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Don't forget that the Dominion had actually been fighting them longer than the rest of us.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It feels like this is coming a bit late, since we already know this, but of course it is better revealed during play than in a blog. But I guess it means we don't need just our glorious Captain to figure this out.

The Dominion ship described in the blog sounds like a hint for an upcoming Jem'Hadar vessel? Maybe a Scout Vessel, since it has cloak and is not well armed? If it's not stand-alone, maybe a 4-faction ship pack with a Scout Vessel for everyone? Though with the 6th Starship Mastery unlock, it could be stand-alone as well and still be available to everyone. But if it was 4-faction, maybe a chance for a Tier 6 Nova? Okay, that might be hoping for too much.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Assuming its a Vanguard ship. It might be a standard Jem'Hadar ship, which would open the door for a multi pack.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    It feels like this is coming a bit late, since we already know this, but of course it is better revealed during play than in a blog. But I guess it means we don't need just our glorious Captain to figure this out.

The Dominion ship described in the blog sounds like a hint for an upcoming Jem'Hadar vessel? Maybe a Scout Vessel, since it has cloak and is not well armed? If it's not stand-alone, maybe a 4-faction ship pack with a Scout Vessel for everyone? Though with the 6th Starship Mastery unlock, it could be stand-alone as well and still be available to everyone. But if it was 4-faction, maybe a chance for a Tier 6 Nova? Okay, that might be hoping for too much.

Mentioned as an exploration ship, not equipped to fight but has cloning facilities. ballpark? a large science ship with a cloaking device.

i also thought this had come late but the cloaking device could a big hint of a future storyline element to come. perhaps the Cardassians are working with the Dominion on different level than before, something more valuable than the previous one sided arrangement setup by Dukat.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Well... Garak's worked with Odo. And Odo's fleet is set up a lot differently than a traditional Dominion Fleet. The only time we see NPC Vanguard ships... is when they're attached to Odo's fleet. And with Odo's exposure to Federation design ideas...

Its possible.
    edited September 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... Garak's worked with Odo. And Odo's fleet is set up a lot differently than a traditional Dominion Fleet. The only time we see NPC Vanguard ships... is when they're attached to Odo's fleet. And with Odo's exposure to Federation design ideas...

Its possible.

Indeed and with their past, they trust each other which could be very beneficial going foward. i seem to remember in one of the end missions that there was mention of the Dominion having to change and with the relevation of so many details the female founder supressed and withheld, she didn't trust anyone, not even her people in the link. I think there is a chance for the founders to reconsider their outlook and the the Dominion in general to at the very least do things a bit differently than where they were before. the Cardassians can also see that the reason for so much trouble was because of the Female founder specifically and the Dominion was as much a victim as Cardassia was as well.

A solid point to start from diplomatically as any. A show of good faith, certain techs and information being shared at first and a way to slowly gain trust that neither side are going to shoot each other in the back.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I feel really bad for when this Changeling gets back and learns Dr. Bashir figured everything out already.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I feel really bad for when this Changeling gets back and learns Dr. Bashir figured everything out already.

Exactly. It's a lovely story, full of character; but from a narrative perspective, it's pointless. The Link (and thus, the Dominion) already know the "solution", because Odo knew it and was Standing right next to the Great Link when the answer arrived. A 10 second dip in the pool, and this whole story is senseless.

It's even sillier if this is some new Vanguard science ship. What, built and launched by Odo's gang on their own? If so, I'm even sorrier for Nuno.

Nuno: Hey, Odo! My brand-new, state-of-the-art prototype cloaked science ship and crew took a real beating, but we've brought back some invaluable information! Do you know what happens when a Hu'rq gets Ketracel White? Huh? Do ya!?

Odo: Hrmph! Why, yes. Yes, I do. So do all the other Founders. So does this Vorta. Not to mention that Bajoran, those Jem'Hadar, and probably half the Federation, Empire and Republic by now. Oh, yes, and I suspect that that peaceful giant Hu'rq standing over there, calmly shaking hands with the human Doctor probably has an inkling of it, too. Old news.

Nuno: Oh. I guess I'll go jump in the Link, and get laughed at by an entire world at once.

Poor Nuno! In the Vorta's pantheon, he must be the God of Losers.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User

Could be an Anniversary ship.
    vorwoda wrote: »

Exactly. It's a lovely story, full of character; but from a narrative perspective, it's pointless. The Link (and thus, the Dominion) already know the "solution", because Odo knew it and was Standing right next to the Great Link when the answer arrived. A 10 second dip in the pool, and this whole story is senseless.

It's even sillier if this is some new Vanguard science ship. What, built and launched by Odo's gang on their own? If so, I'm even sorrier for Nuno.

Nuno: Hey, Odo! My brand-new, state-of-the-art prototype cloaked science ship and crew took a real beating, but we've brought back some invaluable information! Do you know what happens when a Hu'rq gets Ketracel White? Huh? Do ya!?

Odo: Hrmph! Why, yes. Yes, I do. So do all the other Founders. So does this Vorta. Not to mention that Bajoran, those Jem'Hadar, and probably half the Federation, Empire and Republic by now. Oh, yes, and I suspect that that peaceful giant Hu'rq standing over there, calmly shaking hands with the human Doctor probably has an inkling of it, too. Old news.

Nuno: Oh. I guess I'll go jump in the Link, and get laughed at by an entire world at once.

Poor Nuno! In the Vorta's pantheon, he must be the God of Losers.

Either that, or something happens to prevent Nuno from revealing the possible connection/solution to the Link by head Founder before Odo and company did.
    edited September 2018
    Either that, or something happens to prevent Nuno from revealing the possible connection/solution to the Link by head Founder before Odo and company did.

or.. Nuno discovered ahead of time. it is not that Bashir found it first but just terrible timing for Nuno that by the time Nuno discovered this and is on his way back, Bashir was about to discover it and put something in place. so when Nuno did report, Bashir had already informed Odo about it and started researching it.. say 10 minutes before hand? and even though Nuno had knowledge lasting 2 weeks as he made his trip across the dark sea of space at maximum warp, he was just beaten to it by Bashir who found out about it a week and a bit later on.

It might be annoying, yes. but Nuno had this knowledge for some time, not able to transmit in the clear with Hur'q hanging around local space.

i'm not so concerned about the reaction of Nuno finding out Bashir got to it first, but Nuno's reaction regarding the ships crew and what he/she is feeling after what could only be considered several pointless deaths and how Nuno will react to that.
  • tulictulic Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Odo has a Vanguard (many ships), Nudo has a Vanguard ( 1 ship). Can every founder assemble his own Vanguard if he needs one?
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    On the subject of Nuno finding out it seems like the Female Founder knew the solution but was withholding it from the Link for her own ends even when doing so was threating to end the Dominion so it's possible she made sure that said cure was not discovered in time by the Dominion.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    On the subject of Nuno finding out it seems like the Female Founder knew the solution but was withholding it from the Link for her own ends even when doing so was threating to end the Dominion so it's possible she made sure that said cure was not discovered in time by the Dominion.

Hmm, Odo enlisted Nuno in helping against the Hur'q, while the Female Founder had nixed the idea. Would he have went to Odo first, instead of the head Founder, or could she have disguised herself as Odo to find out what Nuno discovered only to eliminate him to prevent such knowledge of the Ketrecel solution reaching Odo?
  • admiralvondrunkadmiralvondrunk Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    It occurs to me first and foremost that this story should have been released before "Home" went live.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    It occurs to me first and foremost that this story should have been released before "Home" went live.

Agreed. Victory may be life, but timing is everything!
    spiritborn wrote: »

Hmm, Odo enlisted Nuno in helping against the Hur'q, while the Female Founder had nixed the idea. Would he have went to Odo first, instead of the head Founder, or could she have disguised herself as Odo to find out what Nuno discovered only to eliminate him to prevent such knowledge of the Ketrecel solution reaching Odo?

an interesting thought, and definately something the female changling would been capable of considering the track record from those recorded files.
    Possible... She did say there were other Founders who found out. She didn't say WHEN.
    edited September 2018
    Possible... She did say there were other Founders who found out. She didn't say WHEN.

i'm wondering if she had them banished or killed in secret. The dominion doesn't always know what its left and right hands were upto, even during the war 35-38 years earlier. Could be very possible that some Jem'Hadar were ordered to kill these founders, they in turn are murdered by other Jem'Hadar, no one is the wiser.
    While it might be implied that there were founders in centuries past who discovered the truth... I wouldn't be surprised if the one from the story blogs met the same fate because she's so hung up on maintaining the Dominion as is DESPITE the growing threat and the fact the Dominion can't stand much longer as is.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    While it might be implied that there were founders in centuries past who discovered the truth... I wouldn't be surprised if the one from the story blogs met the same fate because she's so hung up on maintaining the Dominion as is DESPITE the growing threat and the fact the Dominion can't stand much longer as is.
    Yeah her obesession of doing things her way even when it was blindingly obvious that wasn't working, refusal to admit that she ever made any mistakes and eliminating anyone who tried to fix the mess she caused in the first place to cover up her mistakes were probably the main reasons why the hur'q threat got as bad as it did.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    "A changeling finds a secret that could end the war with the Hu'rq, in our final fiction blog from Victory is Life!"

Obviously someone was cleaning their desk and found a blog they forgot to post 3 months ago.
    edited September 2018
    "A changeling finds a secret that could end the war with the Hu'rq, in our final fiction blog from Victory is Life!"

Obviously someone was cleaning their desk and found a blog they forgot to post 3 months ago.

one thing that hasn't been explained is this exploration ship with an implied science background due to cloning vats, that suggests biological research and medical experimentation, and that it isn't knowing to be a vessel than can fight toe to toe with other more dangerous machines. but yeah, the rest of it seems out of date, something that should of been released shortly after launch.. say a week after.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User

Figured it out while under fire, on board a hurq vessel, in the middle of a warzone no less.

If only we'd done as Odo suggested and prepared ahead of time before going on that mission.

Then again Odo didn't know that AoD was a bigger threat to the gamma storyline than the hurq ever were.