test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher failing after Windows update

My PC just finished doing an update for Windows 10... and now the STO launcher won't work. I'm going in through ARC, I click on "Play", and nothing appears to happen. Looking at the task manager while I do this - the launcher starts up, then the Windows Problem Reporting Service starts up, and then both of them go away. So I'm inclined to think something in the launcher must not be playing nicely with the Win10 update.

Any thoughts on whether today's patches might help with this? Or whether there's any other possible workaround?
8b6YIel.png?1

Comments

• arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Since you know for certain that Windows is logging a problem, check the event viewer and see what it is. After that, a google search for that problem will likely put you on the path to good gaming in STO.

It has worked for me a number of times as Microsoft just loves changing stuff in Windows that causes it to not like STO any more. One time they arbitrarily changed an entire directory to read only, causing STO to crash as it writes to that directory, another time they changed an essential network services permissions so that only a "trusted installer" could use it, causing STO to crash as it uses that service. Not even logging into the actual (hidden) administrator account helped, but some register editing and a few other things and Windows once again played nicely with STO.

Something to keep in mind. When STO starts crashing right after a Windows update, it's a Windows problem, not a STO problem. It might take the team at Cryptic a long time to find and patch the right portions of STO to get around whatever Microsoft decided to TRIBBLE up, especially when it only affects a relative few people, but using the Windows log and Google, a player can usually get STO working again pretty quickly.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • rattleshark#0665 rattleshark Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I am running WIN 7 64 , i have a history of severe lag after server updates/maintenance every week , my FPS falls to below 10 when i enter combat the first day of the weekly update then returns to normal the next day or so. Last night Windows decided to update .net framework even though i have updates shut off , set to inform me when updates are available but not to download or install. Today i had the same frame rate issue and blamed the STO server update but when i saw this thread i uninstalled windows .net framework update from last night and my frame rate in game returned to normal.
  • rattleshark#0665 rattleshark Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I spoke too soon , 1 space patrol ran fine , i switched toons and started a mission in iconian arc and the FPS drop returned , below 10 , yesterday my FPS in combat was 35 to 45
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Well, it seems to have recovered today - possibly yesterday's maintenance covered whatever foul things Microsoft did to my computer, or possibly the computer digested whatever MS threw at it and settled down. (The event log pointed a finger at something called ArcOverlayStub.dll, not that there would be anything much I could do about an ARC DLL, I guess.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • dcrose1168dcrose1168 Member Posts: 10 New User
    same issue, launcher is broken and when i can get in constant dc'ing and rubberbanding since latest patch but all my other online games play fine. Well done Cryptic you managed to break it good this time.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    Well, it seems to have recovered today - possibly yesterday's maintenance covered whatever foul things Microsoft did to my computer, or possibly the computer digested whatever MS threw at it and settled down. (The event log pointed a finger at something called ArcOverlayStub.dll, not that there would be anything much I could do about an ARC DLL, I guess.)

Ah, I didn't even think about that in my initial response. The very first thing to try when STO isn't working right is to launch STO directly and not through ARC. The Arc overlay (which is where the .dll that caused the problem is from) is notorious for causing problems. You don't have to use ARC to launch STO so there is no point in having to deal with it using up resources, and regularly causing problems.

If you can't locate the file "Star trek online.exe" (on my system it's in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en) to launch without ARC. Although it's a pain, I would recommend going here http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star Trek Online.exe and just do a re-install without using ARC and then play the game from there.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png