test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Support Cruisers Join the Alliance Fleet

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »

This would have been a valid point IF the one two faction pack was all we got until AoD. But it isn't now is it. There is no fraking reason to do what they did other than to make it clear that they are abandoning rom and dom harder than they do the KDF now. And KDF is almost abadonware. Looks like the rom and dom faction is the new PvP...aka actual abadonware.

Well, besides adding T6 versions of the Ambassador, New Orleans, and Vorcha without committing to 8 ships released after a KDF/FED-free expansion and before AoD (which probably won't be featuring any new 2410 variants at launch). But what's an obvious compromise to angry pouting about aesthetic parity!

I love my ROM but I can also recognize what giving them token recognition in a couple off bundles would have either cost ViL (ex. all the Cardassian ships plus one Jem) or AoD (players are demanding a lot from the DSC era and I think that deserves the fullest possible elaboration) or the existence of one or the other bundle (arbitrary DOM/ROM variant taking priority over a long requested canon ship, whichever one is axed.) Personally, I'd much rather ROM/DOM ships saved for much more momentous bundles such as for the anniversary packs or new spec classes so we can have faction diversity where it really matters without obligating Cryptic to release four ships every time they have an idea for one or two (the opportunity cost over time for that is huge and a major point against adding any more factions that could increase the mandatory count of variants per ship release.)

IMO, this sets a reasonable base pattern of smaller bundles to cover miscellaneous ships concepts in the face expanding playable choices. Plus it makes a new option easier to suggest: the stand-alone DOM/ROM ship that don't have to follow the exact mold set by a KDF/FED bundle. Consider that the DOM covers all bases (with T6 mastery) and the ROM operates like an exclusive clubhouse. Either aspect can be played to with a relatively (if not entirely) unique ship variant that can fill the gaps between big multifaction releases without overburdening miscellaneous KDF/FED packs (it can also be more easily scaled up to include future factions, it just adds to the rotation.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @jcsww said:
    > jordan3550 wrote: »
    >
    > > @jcsww said:
    > > avoozuul wrote: »
    > >
    > > I think they are more likely to do Warship Voyager than the prototype Voyager.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I would also throw down some cash for Warship Voyager! :D
    >
    > I can’t wait for it, we are supposedly getting one at some point if I remember correctly from a stream a last year I think . I’m guessing it could be a voyager anniversary ship or something. Fingers crossed anyway :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope so! I like the Intrepid, especially the two Intrepid interiors, but the Warship Voyager would complete the the ship package for me.

Oh yeah most definitely. I too love all the voyager stuff. Don’t worry our time will come. It’s been asked for a load of times. I just remember him saying something about in 4 years not sure if that means a voyager anniversary pack or some thing time will tell lol
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    oh look no romulan ship....again. This time we're adding a whole new type with new gimmicks and we're still too lazy to make a warbird...

this used to be the kinda 3 ship bundle I'd jump on immediately but, pass...

What are you taking about? Romulans get TWO ships ;)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > The reason there is no Romulan ships is because the Romulans are lazy louts that you have to keep admonishing to get them to do anything. They couldn't be bothered to design a new ship. They just yawn.
    > :)

They are busy playing with ephos
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    jordan3550 wrote: »
    > @jcsww said:
    > jordan3550 wrote: »
    >
    > > @jcsww said:
    > > avoozuul wrote: »
    > >
    > > I think they are more likely to do Warship Voyager than the prototype Voyager.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I would also throw down some cash for Warship Voyager! :D
    >
    > I can’t wait for it, we are supposedly getting one at some point if I remember correctly from a stream a last year I think . I’m guessing it could be a voyager anniversary ship or something. Fingers crossed anyway :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I hope so! I like the Intrepid, especially the two Intrepid interiors, but the Warship Voyager would complete the the ship package for me.

Oh yeah most definitely. I too love all the voyager stuff. Don’t worry our time will come. It’s been asked for a load of times. I just remember him saying something about in 4 years not sure if that means a voyager anniversary pack or some thing time will tell lol

I'm sold! Especially if they finally include the Voyager Romulan belt and sash style seen in the episode, Message In A Bottle.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The noticeable omission of a romulan ship from another ALLIANCE bundle is kind of concerning.

Covered last time: there are ROM/DOM ships on the way but with the development lead-up to AoD (and quite a lot of ships teased for that) Cryptic isn't able to provide them at this time. Instead, we're seeing a few minimalist packs to tide the population over until AoD (see. making sure the lights stay on) with the aesthetic ROM/DOM options left out because they can use these ships at a base level.

Would be great if we could have all the things, but during this period it's not possible.

So why did they bring out a second FED&KDF bundle instead of a ROM&JEM one to keep the balance?

I really hope the game doesn't keep suffering because of the AoD being pushed into it by CBS.

They must have known it was coming so maybe the gamma expansion should have been bumped a year and they'd have had the time to make a more complete story arc, a better fleshed out BZ and not feel the need to put out events back to back to bolster the numbers.
  • atroxvincentiusatroxvincentius Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Well, I was very unhappy with Cryptic's decision to let the Romulans be able to use pretty much any SF or KDF T6 ship but SF and KDF can't use any warbirds, but I guessed it was because they were planning to cut down the number of warbirds they'd be releasing. Glad to see that I was correct but its still a terrible idea for both sides.

It isn't fair Romulans got access to all our ships while we didn't get access to any of theirs, but its also now not fair they're not getting nearly as many new warbird designs as they used to.

Way to irritate two parts of your playerbase Cryptic.

Many good points, it was certainly worrying when the Romulans were given access to Fed and KDF T6 ships, I thought the same as well, basically that was the dev's way of saying no new significant Rom/Fed/KDF ship packs and now we would see only KDF and Fed new ships with only 1 or 2 the Jem Hadar /Rom ships a year or maybe worse, completely ignored. Sadly, this appears to be panning out as the last two releases didn't include new Jem Hadar / Romulan ships coming out. Until I see them, any talk about this or that, is just that.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    Hmmm...I might add these two to my collection.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For a disaster of Biblical proportions that this non-release of Romulan (especially)/Jem'Hader Ships is (queue YouTube clip from Ghostbusters) we were told that they would be back with them after the Anniversary.

Both these 2-pack ships were already in the build queue just as any AoD, Lockbox/Lobi, Winter, and Anniversary ships are. There also may be some Lockbox/Lobi T5 to T6 upgrades in the works for an updated Infinity as well. Also don't they have the Lifetime Heavy Destroyers and Shuttle to do for the Jem'Hadar. After the Anniversary we will start to get Romulan and Jem'Hadar Ships again.

Would we get regular Jem'Hadar Ships or Jem'Hadar Vanguard Ships as the Vanguard ships have that T6 mechanic to open them up to everyone?

Thanks to that Alliance Design Board will we see a Romulan ship with a Warp Core instead of a Singularity?

We will be talking about either a 4-pack Cross-faction Ship Bundle for 8,000 Zen or 12-pack Fleet grade Bundle for 16,000 Zen. The latter in the realm of cost as an undiscounted Expansion.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tmghost7729#8985 tmghost7729 Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    >
    > So...no new romulan ship for almost half a year at LEAST,,,yeah...that isn't abandoning the faction at all....
    >
    > Bloody hell....

IKR? But I guess they don't want our money, I guess I'll go spend it elsewhere.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I think the few in this thread that are very upset over the lack of a Romulan ship, gives an idea of how little the Romulan Republic is represented. Personally, I have always felt the Romulans were done wrong. A lack of choice in siding with the RSE over thee Republic ruined it for me. I am also not overly fond of the Singularity Core differences by comparison. This is why my two Romulan characters faction specific ships for their alignment. More ships and options though, are always welcome in my opinion.

I am very happy over the T6 Ambassador, finally, because my Fed Romulan has been flying an Ambassador since it was added to the game, thanks to a glitch. I could never upgrade the ship though until recently, with the changes to the ships Romulans can fly. I did upgrade my ship recently to T5F, which is nice. Definitely looking forward to the T6 though. We need more ships for all races!
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    This announcement is very bittersweet. I'll start on a positive note, and say thank you for bringing two ships to the game that I have been requesting for a long time. They are two of my favorites. I am going to love putting my Fed characters in the T6 Ambassador, and I will probably be getting fleet versions. I also like the look of the KDF ship, and this, too, may become my go-to ship for my KDF counterparts. Many of us have been asking for this for a long time, and thank you for giving us these ships.
    Now I'll start with the negative. For the second time in a row, there is no Romulan ship. When the announcement was made that Romulans would have access to Fed/KDF ships, many Romulan players feared that there would be no new Romulan designs, or that there would be far fewer of them. So far, your actions are proving them right.

So, instead of celebrating the arrival to some long awaited ships, we get the feeling of "You can have this but we're taking away this". It feels like a diplomatic move. Sure, I'll buy the two ships I've wanted since day one. That's why I've been farming dil and converting it to zen. But if you think the trend will be for me to continue to buy Fed/KDF ships after you've taken away the Romulan ships, you are mistaken. I will also say that eventually giving us a token Romulan ship will not impress me. You've got to bring the Romulan faction up to speed.

It's a shame. I really thought that giving the Romulans access to Fed/KDF ships would mean that the new Romulan ships would have more of an influence from Fed/KDF designs. I was looking forward to my Fed-Rom (my best character) being able to fly the Romulan D7. If he can fly a T'Liss, I see no reason why he can't have a D7. Both are canon Romulan and from the same series. I was also looking forward to flying warbirds with warp cores, especially ones that can play like true cruisers. Not to mention, the artistic creations that could spawn from combining the styles of all three factions. Captain Kirk once said that if Romulans had access to Klingon and Federation ships designs, "They would know everything there is to know about a starship". They would use the knowledge to build their own creations, not send the engineers home and use given ships.

To sum up; you gave us something awesome to soften the blow of taking something awesome away, and wasted some awesome potential. Thank you, and, what a bummer.
    edited September 2018

So why did they bring out a second FED&KDF bundle instead of a ROM&JEM one to keep the balance?

Because T6 Ambassador and Vorcha are probably a more important add-on to STO than the appearance of balance within a narrow window. Plus we're about to enter the DSC era immediately following a DOM/CAR expansion so bolstering the 25c FED/KDF lineup is probably a wise precaution to buffer the strong antipathy towards DSC held by some (re. KDF and FED.)

Load 'em up now so there's less pressure later on, that sort of thing.

ROM gets left out most (JEM did just have a big ship infusion), but I think it'll be most interesting to compensate them with a stand-alone warbird at some point with a console focusing on cloaking or singularity powers (irrelevant to the KDF/FED, and thus something we haven't seen in the age of near-perfect parity.) Then next up, JEM can have something that's more universally desirable (playing to T6 mastery.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I think that ViL and the Jem'Hader Faction sunk the Romulans for a consistent ship release.

Alright what are we talking about here:
    -Greenish Hull color options
    -Wings
    -Underpowered Singularity gimmicks
    -Battle Cloak which is very important in PVE

You can still overload on SROs regardless of ship used.

Your Admiralty Fleet may be the grandest of all.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2018
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Of course not, but 2 ship packs in 3 weeks and no Rom/Jem ships is a pattern.

Point on this: two data points doesn't set a pattern. Any regression is going to result in a correlation coefficient of 1.0 (regardless of the actual relationship between considered factors.) Ie. it's a non-valid statistical operation yielding zero information content. I would look for a pattern to play out over the next 6 months (ie. after the big disruption of AoD to the normal course of things and after the anniversary event. If we're approaching the next summer event without a Warbird or Jem'Hadar battle bug release, then that's a WTF scenario with empirical weight.)
    They could have made this second pack a Rom/Jem one and people would not be complaining like they are.

But do those complaints outweigh the excitement for T6 Vorcha/Ambassador? Both are some of the most requested canon ships yet to be released (if not the most requested.)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Well, I was very unhappy with Cryptic's decision to let the Romulans be able to use pretty much any SF or KDF T6 ship but SF and KDF can't use any warbirds, but I guessed it was because they were planning to cut down the number of warbirds they'd be releasing. Glad to see that I was correct but its still a terrible idea for both sides.

It isn't fair Romulans got access to all our ships while we didn't get access to any of theirs, but its also now not fair they're not getting nearly as many new warbird designs as they used to.

Way to irritate two parts of your playerbase Cryptic.

Why is it terrible for both sides?

For a Romulan characters, that means he gets a ton of new ships options that he can fly or use for Admirality. If he already owned them, his previous purchase suddenly become more useful.

For FED or KDF characters, nothing whatsoever changes.

For many players, packs in the future mean they will be cheaper, because the two-ship packs are cheaper than three-ship packs, but he can still use traits and consoles on all his characters. He gets more value for less money.

If you're only into Romulan ships, you will spend less money in the future, since there is nothing new to seduce you and steal from your wallet.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Why is it terrible for both sides?
    >
    > For a Romulan characters, that means he gets a ton of new ships options that he can fly or use for Admirality. If he already owned them, his previous purchase suddenly become more useful.
    >
    > For FED or KDF characters, nothing whatsoever changes.
    >
    >
    > For many players, packs in the future mean they will be cheaper, because the two-ship packs are cheaper than three-ship packs, but he can still use traits and consoles on all his characters. He gets more value for less money.
    >
    > If you're only into Romulan ships, you will spend less money in the future, since there is nothing new to seduce you and steal from your wallet.

Speaking for myself, I'm not ONLY interested in warbirds, but I AM interested in only using faction-corresponding ships. I like my Avenger fine but I don't want to fly it on my Rom; I want to fly a D'Deridex or Mogai variant, or maybe my Aelahl. I might have bought the Nawlins pack if it had a warbird, but as it stood, I had more than enough Fedscorts already.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Thanks to that Alliance Design Board will we see a Romulan ship with a Warp Core instead of a Singularity?
    We actually have data there. The only Z-store ships with warp cores that Romulans have exclusive access to are allied designs that don't look Romulan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User

Many good points, it was certainly worrying when the Romulans were given access to Fed and KDF T6 ships, I thought the same as well, basically that was the dev's way of saying no new significant Rom/Fed/KDF ship packs and now we would see only KDF and Fed new ships with only 1 or 2 the Jem Hadar /Rom ships a year or maybe worse, completely ignored. Sadly, this appears to be panning out as the last two releases didn't include new Jem Hadar / Romulan ships coming out. Until I see them, any talk about this or that, is just that.

Thank you, with the Jem'Hadar they were recently released with a huge infusion of ships. I wasn't sure what approach Cryptic would take with them. I'm still not sure really, I've opted to take a 'wait and see' approach. On a personal level I play a Romulan to fly faction ships, warbirds. I waited a long time for a T6 science warbird to finally be released for my rom/sci Captain. Similarly my Klingon flies a KDF faction vessel, my Jem'Hadar a Dominion vessel, and my Starfleeters fly Starfleet ships.

I have no interest in flying Starfleet ships as my Romulan/Jem'Hadar characters so a vast reduction in the number of rom/dom ships being produced is a problem for me and players like me.

I believe starswordc pretty much answered for me why I think Cryptic has made a bad move mustrumridcully0. (My apologies if I mispelled your name.) A lack of rom/dom ships will probably lead to a lack of diversity in future ship releases.

• damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I'm not even going to lie, this may be the best thing you've ever done with a ship. I was over the moon to get the New Orleans in the game, but I'd always told my friend who plays this that I really wished you guys would bring Probert's Ambassador concept to the game, but knew it would never happen. Not only did you guys deliver on something I'd never thought would happen, but you did so in spectacular fashion. It looks gorgeous (minus the deflector - that should have stayed gold) and brings the Ambassador back to relevance.
  • damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    So they take the Guardian, slap on the Ambassador saucer and call it the Amby T6. Colour me not amused nor impressed. At least we do have 2 T6 Ambassador varients now though.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. This is the original Andrew Probert concept design for the Ambassador given a faithful 3D rendering. The Guarian has very little in common with it, visually.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited September 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Cryptic outright said there would be fewer Romulan releases when they announced the ability to cross-fation on T6's with your romulan.
    They can have it back... dont want it, aint even used it for Admiralty cards
    Now I know that they kinda went out of house with these 2 designs... which means they have even less reason for not having a warbird in it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    A lie is lie. It doesn't matter if they meant harm or not. They told an untruth. Obfuscated what they were going to do.
    Calling someone a liar because you selectively interpreted what they said is dishonest at best.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg