test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I wonder how the new post-TNG series will effect STO's story?

14567810»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    any moron can design something that needs constant upkeep and adjustment to keep working, it takes genius to build equipment that can be maintained by a lazy drunk in bad lighting.
    Nah, that's only true of a situation where the designer gets it right the first time. As you may have noticed Klingons don't redesign things often. One possible explanation is that the designs they use have been refined over centuries and took decades to get right when initially built.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • yistaanyistaan Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    With victory is life, sto changed the tutorial to put nog in, put bashir in the ultimate klingon, etc. They will probably just change the game for the picard show. At the very least, they can just change to fit the show and within the game say Q changed the universe.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yistaan wrote: »
    With victory is life, sto changed the tutorial to put nog in, put bashir in the ultimate klingon, etc. They will probably just change the game for the picard show. At the very least, they can just change to fit the show and within the game say Q changed the universe.
    It would be cool to have a Picard NPC added to Vulcan. :) Maybe retcon him into Diplomatic orders as someone you need to speak to while retrieving Sokketh?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    -Section 31 was completely dismantled following a grand scheme by the AI named "Control", which was built by Section 31, but ultimately decided that Section 31 was, itself, the greatest threat to its own mission of keeping the Federation safe due to their actions causing more problems then they solved.

I'm all for that, HATE S31.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    -Section 31 was completely dismantled following a grand scheme by the AI named "Control", which was built by Section 31, but ultimately decided that Section 31 was, itself, the greatest threat to its own mission of keeping the Federation safe due to their actions causing more problems then they solved.

I'm all for that, HATE S31.

And I hate Starfleet Plumbing and Electrical Services but I don't need them disbanded.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    BTW.. it's now known that the Picard series will happen in the year 2399

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/10/year-for-setting-of-star-trek-picard-show-established-storyline-teased-by-ep/
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • xinaerkxinaerk Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    For quirky issues regarding the storylines; don't panic fellow captains.

Who ya gonna call? TIMEBUSTERS! ( <--- Temporal thingie... Better dust those temporal reputation sets and temporal ships, you're going to need them, canon-wise of course)
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    could be interesting, the Picard's story in a Retirement home.

why this old character? it is clearly a lack of imagination or the wish of making money easily.

Picard -> yuck, yuck, yuck.

i would prefer Cisco's return, in a way or another.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Am I the only one hoping we get an Admiral Janeway series?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Am I the only one hoping we get an Admiral Janeway series?
    Yes. Yes, you are.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2018
    starkaos wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »
    Heheh… I mean I'm just entirely excited to see a Star Trek series that actually going to advance the timeline for a change. Discovery went back in history to expand our knowledge of the past just as Enterprise did.

Except Discovery creates more problems than it answers. Enterprise had the excuse of the Temporal Cold War and being set 100 years before TOS to have creative control over their era. Discovery needs to resolve the issue about why the Spore Drive doesn't exist in the other Star Trek series and why we don't see Discovery Klingons any more. Discovery had a good reason why the Spore Drive no longer worked due to all the spores being destroyed, but then they terraformed that planet to make more spores. Remove the name drops and Discovery has nothing that screams 23rd Century. It could have been easily set in the 25th Century by removing the name drops and naming the Discovery Klingons as some new alien race.

As far as the Picard series goes, it should have absolutely no effect on STO since STO is set in a parallel universe. The novels and STO have contradicting histories that both can't be the Prime Universe. Although, an organization like the Typhon Pact involving the Romulan Star Empire, Breen Confederacy, Tholian Assembly, Gorn Hegemony, Tzenkethi, and maybe the Andorians or some other Federation race to counter the Federation would be more interesting than Romulans becoming a bunch of refugees, Breen harassing a single race, Gorn becoming Klingon lackeys, and Tzenkethi becoming genocidal maniacs.

Personally, I want Picard to become an Archaeologist rather than an Ambassador. After all, Archaeologists are far more exciting to watch than Ambassadors unless they are being Ambadassadors, but Ambadassery is only temporary.

I wasn't entirely excited when Discovery was announced, especially since it was an earlier time line, but perhaps my disappointment wasn't entirely obvious. Although Star Wars certainly did a great job going backwards in the timeline, although I wouldn't make the same claims for Star Trek's first, and now the start of their second attempt!

But do try to remain very hopeful for them in the second season! While I think they've done some good things: The Ship, The Spore Drive, and the Klingons however were not one of them! Yet perhaps they are explaining that dark part in Federation History I hope and will still manage to revive and dare I say salvage it in a bigger or better way?

So you do raise excellent points @starkaos and I'd likely agree with many if not most!

I'm hopeful the writer's responsible for discovery, are encouraged by CBS to resolving these discrepancies quickly! So that the Starfleet that many had come to love, or the values that the older Roddenberry tried to envision for humanity are preserved before they are lost.

o:)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    redvenge wrote: »
    which is incredibly bad writing.
    This suggestion gets my vote for the disparity displayed by Klingon actions, culture and technology.
    Well, the space barbarian trope is generally illogical, but it's rather popular in sci-fi. It only works if you have a separation between the people who use tech and those who build it. It's more about the race's mindset than their tech base though. So some of them use tech that's actually creative and innovative, but it's makers treat it like cobbled together junk. Klingons... most of them seem to only half-way understand how the tech they use works.

considering that less than ten percent of tech-users in the real world have the faintest CLUE how their tech works, that puts the Klingons significantly ahead.

I saw a documentary once, stating that every US submarine Captain needs to know every part of his ship by heart, and what it does -- over a million of them (Sic!) The training for UK is also very strict, but don't require them to know literally every part.

Long story short: we're not talking about men in the street, but starship Captains. For Klingons to be even remotely believable, their Captains would also need to possess very detailed knowledge about their ships. At the very least their Engineers.

the ability to cram for exams doesn't equate to the ability to make use of (or retain) that knowledge beyond the most basic user-level details one runs into day-to-day.

IOW just because someone can explain the theory of how an internal combustion engine works,doesn't equate to them being any good at all in doing a tune-up on their car

All very true. But the rationale behind submarine Captains needing to know what literally every part of their ship does, I think was so they can make proper Command decisions, knowing not just what to expect of their men, but also of the ship parts. And that makes sense, even when I doubt they'd actually go below deck and fix the engine themselves.

the captains know the systems of thier ship. they do not know every stinking valve and switch. no one does. and it's not just captains. on a submarine you get your dolphins pin once you have demonstrated that you know the systems.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.