test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Defense of Starbase One!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Fight one of the lost battles of the Klingon War, and defend Starbase One, the first Task Force Operation that launches with Age of Discovery!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11001373

Comments

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Does one of my emo boffs try to take over the ship like in the show?

Tovan might. Any other BOff's you feel might be less than trustworthy, you can airlock. :p
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Open to all factions. Hmm why would my KDF characters want to defend the Federation?
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Does one of my emo boffs try to take over the ship like in the show?

Wrong battle.

I find this rather interesting. The saving civilians aspect separates it from Starbase 24 enough to make it a little more challenging and I look forward to seeing what kind of goodies are in store for completion, specifically the "...and more" part. While I can't say I like the source material, the upcoming content has be curious.
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Open to all factions. Hmm why would my KDF characters want to defend the Federation?

For fun I guess? It's billed as a historical simulation so it's year 2410 characters on a holodeck, as it were.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    well t-6 vor'cha makes more sense now, and don't we have this mission like 4 or 5 times at this point.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    they should just change it so KDF side attacks SB1 and Fed side defends... not PVP but PVE.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they should just change it so KDF side attacks SB1 and Fed side defends... not PVP but PVE.

That means extra work for Cryptic for KDF, and 'no one plays KDF'. B)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Doesn't sound that interesting, but if the rewards are worth it i will probably give it a try.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    > @centurian821 said:
    > dracounguis wrote: »
    >
    > Does one of my emo boffs try to take over the ship like in the show?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Wrong battle.
    >
    > I find this rather interesting. The saving civilians aspect separates it from Starbase 24 enough to make it a little more challenging and I look forward to seeing what kind of goodies are in store for completion, specifically the "...and more" part. While I can't say I like the source material, the upcoming content has be curious.
    > trygvar13 wrote: »
    >
    > Open to all factions. Hmm why would my KDF characters want to defend the Federation?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > For fun I guess? It's billed as a historical simulation so it's year 2410 characters on a holodeck, as it were.

Exactly. Same reason why the Kobayashi Maru is an all-faction event.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Thankyou for giving us back the No Win Scenario (sort of). The prospect of the defense simulation is interesting too.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Fight one of the lost battles of the Klingon War, and defend Starbase One, the first Task Force Operation that launches with Age of Discovery!

So... an TRIBBLE rehashed version of swarm?
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Now, Captains in Star Trek Online will have the opportunity to experience that battle firsthand, through a historical simulation

While you could make the argument simulations in Star Trek are that realistic, I kinda think "firsthand" and "simulation" don't mix well together. Because they contradict each other.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • kesselrunner#0768 kesselrunner Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    An historical simulation. Good. I was worried there would be more time travel... In the immortal words of my tac toon: "I hate temporal mechanics."
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Now, Captains in Star Trek Online will have the opportunity to experience that battle firsthand, through a historical simulation

While you could make the argument simulations in Star Trek are that realistic, I kinda think "firsthand" and "simulation" don't mix well together. Because they contradict each other.

I think it's best to understand "firsthand" here as in you're essentially part of the battle simuation rather then interacting with it thru a game interphase of sorts, basically first hand here means "VR without an UI" rather then literally transporting you into the battle.
  • nitewingnycnitewingnyc Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    1) Playable by all factions? why would the KDF want to stop the KDF? 2) I know you guys are trying but we already have something like this called swarm.
    Just give us back the old playable star base 24 Please, It was fun to have a space battle and a ground battle in one instance and it was fairly quick.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Doesn't sound bad. Doesn't sound great either. Seems similar to a couple of other scenarios but with a fresh new paint job of themed Discovery all over it. I'll probably give it a try a couple of times to see if whatever rewards are worth the effort & if it is fun.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    > @nitewingnyc said:
    > 1) Playable by all factions? why would the KDF want to stop the KDF? 2) I know you guys are trying but we already have something like this called swarm.
    > Just give us back the old playable star base 24 Please, It was fun to have a space battle and a ground battle in one instance and it was fairly quick.

I was actually going to ask if this would have an optional ground mission? Like the one retired from SB 24? It makes sense. I miss that from early SB 24.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    83c3860087495d268bb5e908092b445241c0cd6f?url=http%3A%2F%2Forig05.deviantart.net%2F7a19%2Ff%2F2015%2F269%2F0%2Ff%2Fsunset_shimmer_took_off_her_jacket__you_dun_goofed_by_alicornoverlord-d80u6u7.png
    Hold mah coat. I got a starbase to defend.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    Question: Is Starbase One over Earth in this scenario (as the ST: D episode this scenario is based on was depicted); or is it 100 AUs out from the center of the Sol System (as the scripted dialogue in the SAME episode mentioned on screen)? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jaegersonjaegerson Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm glad something like this is back.
  • atroxvincentiusatroxvincentius Member Posts: 31 Arc User

I'm going to ask the stupid question, what episode did this happen in Discovery?
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I'm going to ask the stupid question, what episode did this happen in Discovery?

"The War Without, The War Within" I believe.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    "Fight one of the lost battles of the Klingon War, and defend Starbase One, the first Task Force Operation that launches with Age of Discovery!"

No thanks.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    space orcs or not. why would a Klingon even want to do this mission. please let us be the attackers give us a Klingon version.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• rarintogo2rarintogo2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

I find this rather interesting. The saving civilians aspect separates it from Starbase 24 enough to make it a little more challenging and I look forward to seeing what kind of goodies are in store for completion, specifically the "...and more" part. While I can't say I like the source material, the upcoming content has be curious.
    trygvar13 wrote: »

For fun I guess? It's billed as a historical simulation so it's year 2410 characters on a holodeck, as it were.[/quote]

Would make more sense for the KDF to try to "simulate' the attack again to see if they can succeed where their ancestors failed. I also would rather see a KDF and allies version as well as the Fed version, as well as a pvp battlezone
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »

So... an TRIBBLE rehashed version of swarm?

That was pretty much my impression as well.
  • shirokaneki#3797 shirokaneki Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2018
    finally got to home from work..prepared to "ok lets play some sto" and what we got..maintenance..again. twice a week 6 hour. why they couldn just point out one day in a week when they make maintenaces and then finish off everything on that day. damn now i have to find something else to do for 6 hours
  • rarintogo2rarintogo2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    rarintogo2 wrote: »

Would make more sense for the KDF to try to "simulate' the attack again to see if they can succeed where their ancestors failed. I also would rather see a KDF and allies version as well as the Fed version, as well as a pvp battlezone

For the Battlezone it would be interesting to get 1 pt per wave and (hard part) 1 pt per hit on an opponent. You die once and you are out! - If you manage to hide for 10 waves you would get a total of 10 pts. Even as a Newbie if you fire 2 full shots and die - torpedo spread and wide beam and you might hit 20 + times which would give you a total of 21 pts. (which is the encouragement to go actually fight the engagement rather than "outlive" it) Yes, sometimes the KDF would win, but they are "better trained" *with specializations* and equipped than those in the original battle. This could also be set up as a fleet vs fleet battle with fleet base rewards ....