test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you like to see a Sand Box layer added to STO?

"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone

Would you like to see a Sand Box layer added to STO? 24 votes

Yes
79%
nightkentalonxvshpokshippiejonmeimeitoobloodyrizcbob312scorpio2kwraithshadow13kyle223catrimmarierelicthiefsennahcheribpostagepaidsmokebaileyechattyjohnchrightontrekpuppyfuryan#5289 19 votes
No
20%
mustrumridcully0feiqamarkhawkmanphoasdavefenestrator 5 votes

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Yes
    Game could really use it. Plenty of places to put in sandbox.

Exploration, setting up starbase, first contact etc.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Yes
    talonxv wrote: »

If it contains stuff like this, sure.

@OP: Your topic title could benefit from some clarity.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Yes
    Sure, though I'm not certain how it could be implemented in the current game within the current engine.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    What's the difference?

++++++++++++++

Let me rephrase this..... How would that be any different from what players are already doing?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    No
    Voting no only because the only things you could do besides the current foundry builds already in game is to make new starships. And there is just too much room for Cryptic to be sued because fans ignore the 'Don't use copyrighted material' warnings.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    You mean an open environment where activities can be gained from distributed contacts?

Um...we do have New Romulus, the Dyson Adventure Zone, Nimbus, and Kobali Prime.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I dont know… sand is not a good friend of my CPU fan...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Sure, I can use a sand box if I have to... Oh, that's not what you mean? Well... Some ecplanation would be nice.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    I'm kinda liking the way things are.

We have a very Trek oriented game with the Foundry available as an amazing, but currently broken, sandbox feature.

I say this coming from Star Wars Galaxies.... that game was TOO sandbox. It was like they threw in anything but Star Wars stuff as the 'go to' equipment. So it felt like a generic MMO with a sprinkling of some Star Wars flavor just to get people hooked. And I DONT want that here. If I play a 'themed' game I want that surrounding my experience, not as some side show.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Yes
    talonxv wrote: »

if they add stuff for the klinks, then ok. I mean no scan of artifacts, no blabla with boring alien like kuumarrke.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    No
    No, because you didn't bother to tell us what you mean by that.

Players are already free to do some story chains out of order, and are free to choose which TFOs to play and there are patrols and battle zones. Plus the Foundry.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Risa has sand castles.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Yes
    Sounds like a roundabout way of asking for exploration clusters to be brought back.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Risa has sand castles.

Never… ever… build one on your bridge... you will never get the sand out of the carpet!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I have been an advocate of a sandbox environment to try before you buy lobi and C store ships for a while the downside is that what prevents you from getting accolades or traits in th sandbox for free? I do not know if it is feasible to erase anything gained in the sandbox, unless you could make a test server where nothing is stored.
    Spock.jpg

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    No
    I have been an advocate of a sandbox environment to try before you buy lobi and C store ships for a while the downside is that what prevents you from getting accolades or traits in th sandbox for free? I do not know if it is feasible to erase anything gained in the sandbox, unless you could make a test server where nothing is stored.

You mean like the Tribble server?

Who knows whether that's what the OP is asking for though, since he refuses to tell us :(

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    yes, like tribble, but nothing is saved, so you can't progress.. and have limited content. lets face it 90% of what a sandbox would be fore is testing if you want the new shiny or if you want to test a new equipment loadout. all you need for that is a few PVE queues. you really don't need to run butterfly. jut make all the consoles and parts available in the shipbuilder
    Spock.jpg

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Yes
    My Caitian has been waiting for a sandbox in her quarters for some time.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Yes
    This was what I was hoping STO would be when it was released. A large, unexplored and black galaxy map where you had to actually fly your ship to chart it. Patrolling borders, establishing colonies, meeting new aliens - any task that spreads the influence of the Federation. Take aspects of World War II Online and mix them with Sid Meier's Civilization series and I will open my wallet.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »

My half-Caitian has a litterbox on board her vessel... just one. It's there for when smartasses think they're clever by asking where the litterbox is. Only after they embarrass themselves are they informed that the ship has the full standard complement of conventional restroom facilities and the litterbox is only there for those who ask for one.
    I was under the impression Starfleet vessels didn't have restrooms. Because nobody poops on TV. Or videogames.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Yes
    Isn't the toilet in the same room as the sonic shower? Go, and when you flush it sends it out into space.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited September 2018
    echatty wrote: »
    Isn't the toilet in the same room as the sonic shower? Go, and when you flush it sends it out into space.

Wow...that means there is a lot of unexplored "stuff" in space.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Yes
    *Chuckle* Yep. That's why there's so many asteroid fields out there ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited September 2018
    And here is a thread that is actually going no where.....
    OP never came back, either.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    And here is a thread that is actually going no where.....
    OP never came back, either.
    It needs to go, but it can't because it doesn't know where the restroom is. :D
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Yes
    warpangel wrote: »
    bloodyriz wrote: »

My half-Caitian has a litterbox on board her vessel... just one. It's there for when smartasses think they're clever by asking where the litterbox is. Only after they embarrass themselves are they informed that the ship has the full standard complement of conventional restroom facilities and the litterbox is only there for those who ask for one.
    I was under the impression Starfleet vessels didn't have restrooms. Because nobody poops on TV. Or videogames.

If you look carefully at the Enterprise D MSD, there is ONE bathroom icon.

Also, in Home Soil, when the microbrain was taking over the ship, an ensign in engineering said that someone got locked in the ship's rest room. :D
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.