test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Borg

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,244 Community Moderator
    No Borg Faction
    Why is this yet another playable Borg Faction thread in the same week??
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    No Borg Faction
    I believe it is.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative

Because you should have followed annemarie30's advice, and added 'playable Borg' to the FCT, is why. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • oseckiosecki Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Borg Collective
    I would Love to play as a Borg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    No Borg Faction
    While I wish the current playable borg were a little better. (IE the Borg bodysuit or absent middle like NPC borg.) I think a full faction would make the borg too common to be appealing.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    No Borg Faction
    xindax76 wrote: »
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    No. Cryptic can't even handle multiple factions for this game very well. If you want to play as a Borg, go LTS. Want to play a "Borgified" ship? Do Omega rep stuff for the assimilated parts and the weapon set, and slap them on a ship.

Atm LTS is not worth the price. Maybe if Cryptic give promotion and lower price to 100 USD, i will buy. But not for 200-300 USD, waste of money.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But until then, no Borg for you! Or zen stipend or other stuff. Since there's no longer any subscription option. I got told a couple years ago that LTS wasn't worth it, but still made the purchase. I like having the extras myself, including 4 additional ships per character.

All cash spent on this game can be called a waste of money. You're paying for entertainment, that one day will eventually shutter.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    No Borg Faction
    Count me in for putting this in the FCT.

Not that I hate Borg, I just don't think a Borg Faction is very sensible. Only playable Borg should be the Liberated that the LTS gets, not a full Borg being controlled by a Queen.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    No Borg Faction
    No to Borg faction, we have too many factions and fractions as it is and this villain has been overplayed. It was fresh in TNG, had its moment in ENT, was overdone in VOY, and lost their punch. Also, this should be put in the FCT. Thirdly, more options in the tailor should be present for those who play a Liberated Borg as well as those who have those types of BOFFs (I am not a lifetime subscriber but that would be good for those who have those characters). I will not be assimilated, resistance is not futile. Those are my two cents. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,244 Community Moderator
    No Borg Faction
    Oi. When a dev says that playable Borg are never going to happen, I'll put it in the FCT. :weary:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    No Borg Faction
    I would like to see the male LibBorg able to use Seven's hand attach.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative
    It seems to me, that the people most opposed to this are the same people that tell you "well, just don't buy it then" in that voice, you know the one, when others complain about things THEY like.

Personally, i think this would work best on the same lines as either ViL or AoY, meaning that it's a few story based missions before you're liberated by your faction of choice, while providing kits, shields, armors, and weapons themed to borg drones and collective members. We could use more unisex parts and pieces for customizing our characters. Lore wise, the newer version of the Borg are supposed to be much more difficult to come back from, so it would be nice to be able to reflect that in their appearance. I know i'm not the only one who added a "How they looked fully assimilated" outfit, either.

We don't NEED overpowered borg cubes. We don't NEED borg queens and "Insert name here" of borgs. It sounds like most people against the idea just really seem to think that's what people want or are asking for. I'm sure there are those who do but i don't think it would be a majority. So long as they manage to keep the LTS version better or, at least unique, while still providing enough for the other players, this could really be a great addition to the game. Victory is Life is a perfect example of that. Maybe limit the ship types to peanut and sphere, with a cooperative ship or two tossed in, just to keep things from being too crazy. There are a lot of ways that would allow Cryptic to functionally add a playable borg to the game, i just think the nay-sayers are stuck with blinders on, just saying "No! don't want!" like a kid who doesn't like food they haven't even tried yet.

Given that this might actually be the most requested feature, i only think it fair to turn to all the people saying no, with no explanation, and say "Well... If you don't like it, just don't buy it."
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    No Borg Faction
    Yeah, no. not every species in the game needs to be playable, and certainly not the biggest bad guys. No Iconians No Borg. FFS what would be next, playable Doomsday machine?
    Spock.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative
    If we get a Borg faction it'll be the Cooperative, not the Collective.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Oi. When a dev says that playable Borg are never going to happen, I'll put it in the FCT. :weary:

It has been years ago, when a dev said No Borg Collective factions due to players having no control over their character. It might have been when Atari owned STO so the dev post is part of the Archived Post mess. So you could put No playable Borg Collective in the FCT and change it if the devs ever say no playable borg.
    It seems to me, that the people most opposed to this are the same people that tell you "well, just don't buy it then" in that voice, you know the one, when others complain about things THEY like.

Personally, i think this would work best on the same lines as either ViL or AoY, meaning that it's a few story based missions before you're liberated by your faction of choice, while providing kits, shields, armors, and weapons themed to borg drones and collective members. We could use more unisex parts and pieces for customizing our characters. Lore wise, the newer version of the Borg are supposed to be much more difficult to come back from, so it would be nice to be able to reflect that in their appearance. I know i'm not the only one who added a "How they looked fully assimilated" outfit, either.

We don't NEED overpowered borg cubes. We don't NEED borg queens and "Insert name here" of borgs. It sounds like most people against the idea just really seem to think that's what people want or are asking for. I'm sure there are those who do but i don't think it would be a majority. So long as they manage to keep the LTS version better or, at least unique, while still providing enough for the other players, this could really be a great addition to the game. Victory is Life is a perfect example of that. Maybe limit the ship types to peanut and sphere, with a cooperative ship or two tossed in, just to keep things from being too crazy. There are a lot of ways that would allow Cryptic to functionally add a playable borg to the game, i just think the nay-sayers are stuck with blinders on, just saying "No! don't want!" like a kid who doesn't like food they haven't even tried yet.

Given that this might actually be the most requested feature, i only think it fair to turn to all the people saying no, with no explanation, and say "Well... If you don't like it, just don't buy it."

The tutorial can't have the player liberated by your faction of choice since part of the draw to a Borg faction is the Borg ships. As far as we know, the current Liberated Borg are all liberated by the faction of your choice. Having that type of tutorial makes it meaningless to have a Liberated Borg faction. So the tutorial could work by having the Borg Cooperative rescue your character, then the Borg Cooperative decides to do an exchange program with the faction of your choice.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Borg Collective
    No more factions. Please.

ummm...there are only 2 factions.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative

Thank you!

There are so many Borg haters out there. I wish for once STO would listen to both views those who hate and those who LOVE borgs. If one does not like what is being presented (i.e. Discovery or borg) just turn off the channel and move on. I might not like some of the stuff STO has in here but I'm a loyal player to the end.

Resistance is FUTILE. Quote me on that since it's canon tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    No Borg Faction

This is why Annemarie posted about adding it to the FCT
    Spock.jpg

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    No Borg Faction
    No. Please no! What's next...the Terran Empire? The Tholians? The Sheliak?
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative
    Would you want Borg faction

While Borg Collective would be cool, I don't think that's a realistic thing to ask for (given that would basically be an entirely new game, if done right). So I voted for Borg Cooperative, which is something that fits in Star Trek Online without breaking lore.

I think the Collective, to fit in STO without breaking lore, would require some sort of Zerg-like construct at the least: You're the Borg Queen, and you have a whole bunch of weaker "half-power" BOffs, drones that you control on the playing field. It would probably also require some exceptional event to explain why there are suddenly hundreds of Borg Queens around. Maybe the Collective's communications are disrupted and a whole bunch of Borg are disconnected from the Queen, but not each other, build a new queen (the player) and continue on their own for some reason?

(Disclaimer: anyone could have this idea, if the rights owners to Star Trek or Star Trek Online or someone authorized by them decides to do this story, they may do so without needing to credit or compensate me)
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    No Borg Faction
    I guess these threads keep on popping up is because of the fact, there's more and more new factions being added. Ala, S15 with Disco-Starfleet Captains.

TOS Era Captains, Dominion Vanguard Captains...

It'll keep on coming up. Until the end of time or the heat death of the universe, in terms of which one is first that is. lol
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
    Borg Cooperative
    Klingon/Cardassian Alliance seems possible actually. Sheliak... Aren't bad guys, but they'd need a story hook and we don't have much to work with.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Borg Collective

I would gladly play a Terran Empire faction! Bring it in with the unwanted Discovery content, please. All hail, Emperor Georgiou!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative
    starkaos wrote: »
    The tutorial can't have the player liberated by your faction of choice since part of the draw to a Borg faction is the Borg ships. As far as we know, the current Liberated Borg are all liberated by the faction of your choice. Having that type of tutorial makes it meaningless to have a Liberated Borg faction. So the tutorial could work by having the Borg Cooperative rescue your character, then the Borg Cooperative decides to do an exchange program with the faction of your choice.

Thats.... that's pretty much exactly how the last three "expansions" go. You start of in the faction, romulans, Dominion, TOS, and then, at the end of the mission line, you join the main story line. Borg Tutorials under the collective would still allow players to do and play as they want. Just add a final mission where your cube or sphere is destroyed, and you're a sole survival picked up by your faction.

Collective Voice: "Incoming Vessel detected. Drone, Identify."

Then you get an option of "Vessel identifies as -" which ends up being your starter ship for KDF or Fed side. It would be super easy.

It would also be a great way to learn more about how the borg are liberated, in game, as well as a fun way to play with class or selections, where your choices play into the cutscene.
    Borg Cooperative
    I still favor the Cooperative angle. Maybe as a newly Liberated member of the Cooperative? OOH! as a special twist, have the player choose allegiance as part of character creation! IE, there are several species choices of Lib Borg and the species you choose determines faction alignment, maybe have some races where it's an actual choice? (like Romulans)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Thats.... that's pretty much exactly how the last three "expansions" go. You start of in the faction, romulans, Dominion, TOS, and then, at the end of the mission line, you join the main story line. Borg Tutorials under the collective would still allow players to do and play as they want. Just add a final mission where your cube or sphere is destroyed, and you're a sole survival picked up by your faction.

Then you get an option of "Vessel identifies as -" which ends up being your starter ship for KDF or Fed side. It would be super easy.

It would also be a great way to learn more about how the borg are liberated, in game, as well as a fun way to play with class or selections, where your choices play into the cutscene.

Except the other new factions have their own ships. To get Borg ships, then the Liberated Borg needs to join the Borg Cooperative first instead of joining up with one of the three main factions. Cryptic won't create a new faction unless they can sell new faction ships. After all there is a difference between a Liberated Borg Starfleet Officer and a Federation-aligned Borg Cooperative Officer.
  • uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Borg Cooperative

Even easier: You could have an intermittent connection to the collective, as you are approached by ships from both factions, and decide who to call out to for help. Then you get to destroy the other ship with the new crew from your faction. They could even make you relapse into assimilation a little (a la Defera Invasion Zone, mixed with the brainwash storyline from LoR).

Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Borg Collective
    uliwitness wrote: »

Even easier: You could have an intermittent connection to the collective, as you are approached by ships from both factions, and decide who to call out to for help. Then you get to destroy the other ship with the new crew from your faction. They could even make you relapse into assimilation a little (a la Defera Invasion Zone, mixed with the brainwash storyline from LoR).

I really wanted the choice with LoR to choose between siding with the Tal'Shiar (RSE) and the Replublic (RR). Always playing the good guys and getting stuck with Tovan, for me, takes away from more diverse gameplay and options.
This discussion has been closed.