test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Enter the Breach!

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I've never done the Breach, so this could be an experience. When I saw the announcement, I at first thought that I wouldn't try it again. Then I saw that you get the dino pet, so I think I just might give it a try. Can only learn by doing, so going to do, and do my best to learn and contribute. I don't like AFKers and I'm not one, so I'll participate my best and learn how it's done this time around.

I can understand them offering the bundle to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to participate that much, and I'm all for it. People who would get them to not have to play the full 14 runs? Yeah, that'll happen and that's their choice. But not going to moan about them adding it in. Just their way of getting the money from those who can't/won't otherwise play the content.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Honestly I would've preferred a weekend event this time rather then yet another 14 day one when we just had one.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Weapons? Check.
    Uniform? Check.
    Reinforcements? Check.
    Boff? Check.

The next Breach event HAS to be the one that allows us to create Voth characters :D
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I don't really get the complaining about the Zen bundle btw. People have asked for ways to get their marks by paying for it so yeah.

And these events always took 14 days to complete. It's highly unlikely that they designed it like that years ago so that they could start selling us such bundles tomorrow.

And if that is somehow the case, then we've got some very good planners and a well-thought out strategy for the game, so I still don't see a reason to complain in that case ;)

I won't use it, the event is fun enough so I'll just play it with either my Vesta or my fake-Voth character. But I do agree that there should be more time between events, or do as has been suggested: remove the timers and just allow players to decide when they want to do it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    echatty wrote: »
    I've never done the Breach, so this could be an experience. When I saw the announcement, I at first thought that I wouldn't try it again. Then I saw that you get the dino pet, so I think I just might give it a try. Can only learn by doing, so going to do, and do my best to learn and contribute. I don't like AFKers and I'm not one, so I'll participate my best and learn how it's done this time around.

I can understand them offering the bundle to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to participate that much, and I'm all for it. People who would get them to not have to play the full 14 runs? Yeah, that'll happen and that's their choice. But not going to moan about them adding it in. Just their way of getting the money from those who can't/won't otherwise play the content.

Breach is the ISA of events. It used to be difficult, got ridiculously easy through the combination of map nerfs and power creep, but lots of players still moan about how tough it is and how others are doing it wrong out of habit, scaring people away from doing it.

You'll do just fine.

That said, it's still a long-ish queue, and I'm glad multiple alts are now optional. Also, it's a bit GPU-intense for a space map and can benefit from high FPS, as you're first flying around at a higher than "normal" impulse speed and sometimes need to make sharp turns and avoid bumping into walls. On a low-end machine some adjustment to the settings can be a good idea.

Agreed on accelerator pack. As long as there are no significant increases in wait times because of it, why not?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips. I play on low res anyway because I don't have a high end machine and do fine most of the time. Will try it tomorrow evening after I get home from picking up the grandkids and taking them home. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up and figure out what to do then. I'll be taking two toons from two different accts through it as I want both accts to have the pet. Twice the fun, eh?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    My experience of AFKers in events, just participate and earn the reward like everyone else has to.
    Just how are we meant to do that when there is only a task for 1 person to do in the trench run and there is no useful way for the other 4 to participate, advanced and earn rewards? The other 4 either go AFK or mess around doing nothing useful.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Lotro has been having an Event overload as well, sometimes two running at the same time.

First of these shortened Breech Events I ran all fourteen of my Characters through and got all of them close to 2000 Lukari Marks each getting ready for sponsorship ( my Character doing that Reputation for the Sponsorship hadn't even completed the Reputation when Breech was already allowing you to select the current Reputation Marks (only 36 days in on a 40 day grind). I ended up regretting running all fourteen through as it got tiresome by the latter stages.

The last time the Event ran I only put through about four. This time, it may just be one with others doing the Queue for Gamma Marks on occasion, if availible.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    1 grind event to another, yawn. Like always treating the leftover playerbase as robots. I'll skip.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

The last time the Event ran I only put through about four. This time, it may just be one with others doing the Queue for Gamma Marks on occasion, if availible.

I've been shifting my character runs down, usually to one but for CC I did a partial second to prep for the next one (giving a bonus to my future self who I know's going to be more busy during the next run.) The big dil payout's a little less special with admiralty cycling in the background and account rewards have taken the pressure off to grind every character you think might make use of a certain piece of equipment.

I think that's pretty darn okay.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • geeringgeering Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Once per account, you’ll be able to purchase the Event Accelerator Bundle: The Breach, for 1000 zen. This bundle, available in the C-store, will give you ten Voth Operative Transmissions, and an Ultimate Tech Upgrade. Use it to give yourself a jump start.

I'm afraid events will change to be even more grindy so people will be even more inclined to buy these.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    nebfab wrote: »
    ....as you're first flying around at a higher than "normal" impulse speed and sometimes need to make sharp turns and avoid bumping into walls....

Oh. YIKES. That is all I need to know. Thanks for that bit of info. Definitely not for me. Extremely high probability of my crashing into walls and getting lost in a maze...not gonna bother even to learn. LOL!

I haven't even started the Gamma Quad missions on my Gamma Recruit, any ways. I ain't gonna do another event.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. Thanks, Armada Leader.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    echatty wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I play on low res anyway because I don't have a high end machine and do fine most of the time. Will try it tomorrow evening after I get home from picking up the grandkids and taking them home. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up and figure out what to do then. I'll be taking two toons from two different accts through it as I want both accts to have the pet. Twice the fun, eh?

It's rather straightforward, but as someone with a low-end PC myself, there are a few thoughts (I mostly do it on normal, can't remember if advanced is any different.)

The entire queue is MUCH easier to fly with a mouse (left and right buttons down, or however you bound it.)

Trench run: what it sounds like. If you stray away from the path, you lose your speed buff, and there is stuff that can one-shot you if you do. Green plasma jets can kill low-hull ships, or anything if you fly into several in a row, so avoid. There is a very sharp RIGHT (left in the old Breach and the non-event ver) turn near the end.

Shooting stuff (except 2 generators that slow you down as you approach them) is optional, but the team needs a certain % kills for maximum marks. When someone reaches the breach site you get the option to rally, it's better to take it, unless you're nearly at the breach yourself -- then a loading screen may actually take more time than flying to it.

Breach site: there is a big, GPU-intense, screen-blotting explosion when you punch through it, sometimes I ended up becoming disoriented and bumping into stuff because of it.

Tunnels: Only certain doors are open at this stage, either watch where the teammates are flying, or look at the glow colour (amber-glowing doors are closed) The doors also have "sills" that your ship can snag, but I never actually got stuck in them.

Subwarp chamber: for maximum marks, you should rescue all NPCs first (the Voth can't interrupt that option.) but some teams don't bother. Then you open the pillars and get either the fake core, the real core or nothing. You should find (and shoot) the real core 3 times. Shooting the fake core is annoying, but not fatal. Being inside, or very near pillars when they close is an insta-kill though. There are also stuck spots in the chamber, so flying into stuff in general is not recommended. Trajector or sing jump can get you out, as long as they don't get you stuck in something else.

Main chamber: the core can hostile-teleport you, like tarantulas. Once its health gets low, it's better to turn around as you need to either retrace your path through the tunnels, but now with the same speed buff as part 1 and the whole thing shaking (high FPS is especially helpful here) or take a bit more straight path through now-open doors (the 1st one is below the one where you entered, this is the path I usually take.) Everyone should get out in time for max marks, but, again, getting lost/stuck is not the end of the world, I think you don't even actually explode if you don't.

Hope this helps.

where2r1 wrote: »
    ....as you're first flying around at a higher than "normal" impulse speed and sometimes need to make sharp turns and avoid bumping into walls....

Oh. YIKES. That is all I need to know. Thanks for that bit of info. Definitely not for me. Extremely high probability of my crashing into walls and getting lost in a maze...not gonna bother even to learn. LOL!

I haven't even started the Gamma Quad missions on my Gamma Recruit, any ways. I ain't gonna do another event.

And here I was trying to encourage people...

Seriously, it sounds worse than it actually is, as long as you know how to fly with mouse-look, it's nowhere near Delta Flight or that race course, you don't need to be uber-precise or be the first to the breach to contribute.

edited September 2018

Seriously, it sounds worse than it actually is, as long as you know how to fly with mouse-look, it's nowhere near Delta Flight or that race course, you don't need to be uber-precise or be the first to the breach to contribute.

I will have to go look up what "Delta Flight" IS before I can answer you.

Oh...it is in the Iconian Wars. OK...yeah I got bogged down when I started that Cardassian Arc (that TRIBBLE is horrible) and quit doing all missions. Then, they re-arranged everything...and all my main characters got stuck behind "Yesterday's War". I just finished "Terminal Expanse" on everyone. So, I am stuck at "Of Bajor" which is big time YUCK.

So, I never done "Delta Flight". I have no clue what you are talking about.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited September 2018

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Delta_Flight

ADD: Notorious for its fly-through-hoops segment

Oh...it is in the Iconian Wars. OK...yeah I got bogged down when I started that Cardassian Arc (that **** is horrible) and quit doing all missions. Then, they re-arranged everything...and all my main characters got stuck behind "Yesterday's War". I just finished "Terminal Expanse" on everyone. So, I am stuck at "Of Bajor" which is big time YUCK.

So, I never done "Delta Flight". I have no clue what you are talking about.

Yea, that's the one, and as I said, it has this fly through hoops mechanics.
    There is also a patrol in Delta that is more or less the tougher (and in space) version of summer event floater mission.

Those are tough, and Breach is easier -- you don't need to be very precise, not like in those, anyway.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You have to fly your ship though about 32 rings then about 8 rings. If you don't get through each within about 12 seconds each, Iconian ships show up and you have to listen to an insufferable Captain Paris. It is possible that he could be more annoying than Captain Kurland if you don't handle your ship well.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited September 2018

The most difficult part is actually at the end, when you need to escape under the clock. You have about 60s to get out, which leaves you with a little room for error, more if you have a fast, agile ship.
    In the very last room, it's easy to get turned around. When I first started playing it, I always went to the wrong side. Now the floor flashes in the direction you need to go.
    There are two exits, the one you came from, and one directly below that. It doesn't matter which one you go to, though I find the bottom one more direct. You go super fast there too, so just watch the corners, you'll get a feel for it after a couple times. In either case, worst that happens is you die inside and (I think) lose the optional. Mission doesn't fail.

All you need to do: follow everyone else :smile:
    PS. Oh, and do not shoot the power subcores with a "?" in their name. You'll know it when you see it.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Though I have never done this mission at all... I am assuming fastest ship is toggling a switch to open up the rest of the mission for everyone else..... everyone else should be sitting in position ready to "hit it" once it opens.
    That is indeed how it works, yes. Meaning there's zero benefit to running it if someone else has taken the lead. In fact, the button may fail to appear and thus prevent you from joining the rest of the mission if you do.
    It's not a lockout though. you just have to finish flying to the entrance manually.
    The trench isn't a maze, it's a giant trench with a few buildings sticking out of the walls. The inside part is very linear too. Yes there are corners, but not branching paths. It doesn't take more than a few runs to memorize it.

Also if you get stuck on geometry, reverse usually works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    In either case, worst that happens is you die inside and (I think) lose the optional. Mission doesn't fail.
    IIRC, there are no "real" pass/fail optionals there, you just get totals of the hostiles destroyed, allies rescued, PC ships out in time and a final score at the end with higher score awarding more marks. So it's really not even that.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    In either case, worst that happens is you die inside and (I think) lose the optional. Mission doesn't fail.
    IIRC, there are no "real" pass/fail optionals there, you just get totals of the hostiles destroyed, allies rescued, PC ships out in time and a final score at the end with higher score awarding more marks. So it's really not even that.
    Weak points optional might be pass/fail. That's the one during the trench run.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    You guys don't realize you are only making it sound worse??? LOL! Sorry, I pass.

You guys don't realize you are only making it sound worse??? LOL! Sorry, I pass.
    Laser-shooting dino for the account.

I admit I love flying-focused missions, but even if I didn't, at least attempting to get that would be worth getting out of my comfort zone.

It's all just a game, after all.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Do it for the dino... You know if you miss it, you'll see someone use it and then regret not getting it as you wait for it to appear in the phoenix lockbox

That said its not as bad as it seems... as long as you can handle your ship at evasive speed, you'll be fine, especially if you make a point to stay away from anything that could snag you

Really though for the trench run, you can go slow and rally when it pops up as there will be far faster ships who will get to the breach - just make sure to bring a wedge of firepower - the main subgen kerfuffle is in the center so a slow ship can fight there while speeders go around the sides

Also, don't be afraid to lower your throttle to half - half impulse tightens up your turning circle so it can be useful for manuevering in a pinch

In the end though, if you get blown up, its no big deal... I'm not going to complain I lost five marks or whatever it is
    I thought the Dino was a combat pet? I will never see anyone in combat....I don't do group stuff. Unless, they let you use it in WW.

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    My experience of AFKers in events, just participate and earn the reward like everyone else has to.
    Just how are we meant to do that when there is only a task for 1 person to do in the trench run and there is no useful way for the other 4 to participate, advanced and earn rewards? The other 4 either go AFK or mess around doing nothing useful.

At least make the effort to take part, that's all
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius