test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Enter the Breach!

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    They didn't. Players did. Maximum Reward for Minimal Effort. Same reason why Infected Space ALWAYS pops.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Why not shoot to kill at the runner???

The runner will have to have backup follow them down the trench...with heals or just run interference, give the guy some "cover fire"... and someone to take over if the main runner doesn't get the job done. Especially, if the runners don't bother with self heals (or, these days, don't know how to use immunities).

That should throw a wrench in the whole AFK thing....you can't sit there not paying attention if you gotta protect your guy getting to the end.

That is the one thing you would need defense for....and probably raise the sales on those Token packs for Cryptic, too. :wink:
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Seems a bit too much after the Crystalline Cataclysm, doesn't it?
    But, having this hitting Holodeck right before the 'Age of Discovery' and probably much TRIBBLE goodness - I'll take it! Gonna' get me all set up for the things I might like to acquire once AoD is released.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    We’ve got a brand new feature for this run of the Breach. Once per account, you’ll be able to purchase the Event Accelerator Bundle: The Breach, for 1000 zen. This bundle, available in the C-store, will give you ten Voth Operative Transmissions, and an Ultimate Tech Upgrade. Use it to give yourself a jump start, or to finish the project if you’re running out of time! For the first weekend of this event, the Bundle will be 20% off!

Is the game in that bad of a financial state that we have a Pay to Breach option?
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    nimbull wrote: »

Is the game in that bad of a financial state that we have a Pay to Breach option?

No... I think this is a response to people complaining about the grind, or giving people with wallets an option to cut the grind down if they either don't want to do the full 14 day grind or don't have time to do said 14 day grind.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No... I think this is a response to people complaining about the grind, or giving people with wallets an option to cut the grind down if they either don't want to do the full 14 day grind or don't have time to do said 14 day grind.

Frankly, I don't get it - for 1000 Zen, I'll get about 270k dilithium at the current rate from the DilEx. Seems over the top to pay so much for an account wide pet, but to each their own.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    Well... you get 10 days shaved off of 14, AND an Ultimate Tech Upgrade. BUT... you can only do it once per account.
    Also... Ultimate Tech Upgrade that normally is only available in a 2k Zen Key Ring Bundle? AND the fact that the first weekend has these at 20% off of that 1k? That's only about 800 Zen (If my math is right) for convenience and 1 item at XV Gold.

If you ask me... that's actually a fair price.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    nimbull wrote: »

If the content can't stand on it's own without a P2W option there's a problem with the content or the games finances. Especially since it's an account wide reward where you don't have to grind it out for each character.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    The only thing that is account unlock is the Dino pet. You don't get the 50k DL or the marks.
    And its not P2W. Don't forget this is a F2P game. If there is a chance to make money, it will be considered. And based on past history with these 3 week events... people complain about the grind. This gives them an option to cut the grind down or even finish it if they missed too many days. Better than having it sit around in your rep projects for a year collecting dust and taking up a slot.

So honestly... its an option, and options are good. If people take that option, it means more funds for the Devs to give us more content. If people don't... well... then people are playing the game, thus giving incentive to make more content. In a way its win/win for Cryptic.

As I always say, there is no P2W in STO. Its Pay2HaveNow. Pay4Convenience. Everything short of a Lifer Sub can be earned via in game means. I speak from experience. I may be a Lifer for almost a year now, but I've worked the system to get some good shiny as F2P, and have been one of the vocal people pointing that out every once in a while.

Cryptic's F2P model is still one of the most generous out there. Compared to others like EA... Cryptic are F2P Saints with their generosity.

Honestly... depending on the number of characters you got running Ferengi or Klingon Admiralty... 800-1000 Zen is only maybe about a week's work of DL as long as the Exchange stays stable.
    Well... you get 10 days shaved off of 14, AND an Ultimate Tech Upgrade. BUT... you can only do it once per account.
    Also... Ultimate Tech Upgrade that normally is only available in a 2k Zen Key Ring Bundle? AND the fact that the first weekend has these at 20% off of that 1k? That's only about 800 Zen (If my math is right) for convenience and 1 item at XV Gold.

If you ask me... that's actually a fair price.

Ugh.....I'm so out of date on the whole upgrading process - I need to spruce up a little! :)
    I didn't mean it was an unfair price, though, what I meant was that I rather grind it away for the extra dilithium without wasting Zen. However, I am out of date on the ultimate tech upgrade. D'oh! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    Cryptic's F2P model is still one of the most generous out there. Compared to others like EA... Cryptic are F2P Saints with their generosity.

I concur. STO's F2P model is the best there is, period.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    No problem.

Honestly I still have characters rockin' mk XII purple gear and holding their own. Only have my main with mk XV gear. And only a few pieces gold plated.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    shpoks wrote: »
    I concur. STO's F2P model is the best there is, period.
    I can't think of many games that are even close. One that I really loved actually went under a few years ago.
    Dude... if I can run the Trench in an Assault Cruiser... its not necessary to run a "racing ship".
    I've done runs in a KARA. IE the biggest, slowest Romulan ship in the Z-store. It works ok for trench runs. AND even it is maneuverable enough to escape the explosion.
    You know... in all my years of running Breach... I have NEVER gotten the optional for the Trench Run portion... I think the highest I've ever seen was in the 80% range. Never 90%+
    I think that's because the optional is designed around clearing all three channels when you're only doing one and a half. from what I observed last time you basically need to farm the weak points, yes, they respawn... But that's slower than skipping it so it'll prob only happen in a premade. Also the optional fails if anyone in the team reaches the lock before you complete it.
    shpoks wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't get it - for 1000 Zen, I'll get about 270k dilithium at the current rate from the DilEx. Seems over the top to pay so much for an account wide pet, but to each their own.
    It's a feature at least a few people on the forum asked for. Time will tell if it's actually popular.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I can’t help but laugh at the “pay to not play” concept. Something is wrong with the game when people will throw money at you to not have to play it. Then again, no one really has to play it. Uh oh ....
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Here’s an idea: instead of having to run the same mission for 14 days, why not make the reward come from a different queue each day? Give people a chance/reason to play stuff that never pops.
    I can’t help but laugh at the “pay to not play” concept. Something is wrong with the game when people will throw money at you to not have to play it. Then again, no one really has to play it. Uh oh ....
    Well, SOME will, some won't. Time will tell how popular this actually is.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For the Crystalline Event it was specifically stated that Gamma was not included. Breech is silent. When the shortened Breech Event first appeared in March 2, 2017, Lukari Marks were included as a choice for the run or for the Project Rewards and the Lukari Restoration Reputation had only been introduced on January 26, 2017, 36 days previous. Here it will be 94 days since 'Victory is Life' debuted when Breech starts.

'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    By the way, on the last day of the summer event, someone mentioned in chat that they couldn't finish the ship because they were short on vouchers. A friend of mine said they could buy vouchers with Lobi. But when we checked the Risa vendor and the Lobi store, we couldn't find the pack. Was this intentionally removed, or is it a bug?

Might be a bug. ALL of the new stuff in the summer event store poofed after the event ended, so we can't even pick up baseball uniforms with any leftover favors right now. And I think normally they let the Lobi vouchers run for a week or so after the event...

Yes, I'm aware of the old bug where new items disappear after the event ends, but we couldn't find the voucher pack during the event (on the last day).
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    Odd...
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Well thank god it's not Mirror Event, I am kind of bored of Breach though.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    They didn't. Players did. Maximum Reward for Minimal Effort. Same reason why Infected Space ALWAYS pops.
    Its not the players fault the devs are at fault for streamlining it in such a bad way. I still don't understand why you think its ok to punish people for doing what the mission is designed for. Which is to have 4 people sit AFK in the trench. There is nothing wrong with doing what the mission wants.

The original no longer in the game trench run was the best. But like most content the devs redesigned it into an over simple state and turned it into super causal mode. Which I am really worry as this casual, simple everything is good short term but is hurting the game long term.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think they should just make destroying the two generator thingies a mandatory task - if you don't do that, you can't open the breach.

But I don't know if that would really discourage AFKers. It might just turn the trench runner into a trench runner + destroy structural integrity role.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User

Exactly. Instead of an option to pay to subscribe monthly for benefits, you can pay to NOT play. What kind of message does that send about the game's level of fun?

As for the streamlined beginning, I'm pretty happy about it. While the old version wasn't much trouble for my Roms in their zippy little T'Varos, or my Feds in their Saucer-Separated Gal-X's, or my Klingon in his Fleet K'Tinga, my poor renegade Gorn pirate in his Orion Marauder would almost invariably get stuck in a glitched wall juncture about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in. I'd type "/stuck", rock the ship, turn, but still be trapped (in effect, an involuntary AFK'er) until my teammates finished, and the fortress ship blew up with my Gorn still inside, dying with his fellow ectotherms. With the streamlined version, that terrible turn is gone, and my Gorn can sail in and contribute with everyone else.

I'd really like to see a PUG of Iconian dreadnoughts run the Breach. Maneuvering those things in there would be hilarious!
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Ah, the Breach... only time in sto I can use my 3690 impulse 'full burst' ship for something other than getting across space battlezones and Dyson quickly

If you see a red Xiyfius with an absurdly large borg engine called the Red Wun; I'm not map glitching, my ship is just that fast it looks like its teleporting and making a mockery of the travel timegate

I do so want my dino with frickin' ap beams on its head, it'll go great with my drone spam engie build...
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    My initial reaction was noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. need a break from events.

but then I saw the combat pet dino. account unlock?? You got me :)

exactly, what I thought :)
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @shpoks said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > No... I think this is a response to people complaining about the grind, or giving people with wallets an option to cut the grind down if they either don't want to do the full 14 day grind or don't have time to do said 14 day grind.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Frankly, I don't get it - for 1000 Zen, I'll get about 270k dilithium at the current rate from the DilEx. Seems over the top to pay so much for an account wide pet, but to each their own.

True, i like the idea, i work on a mining company, and i hardly have time to complete a 14 day event, but 500 zen would be a right price... Totally willing to pay that..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    I think they should just make destroying the two generator thingies a mandatory task - if you don't do that, you can't open the breach.

But I don't know if that would really discourage AFKers. It might just turn the trench runner into a trench runner + destroy structural integrity role.
    It used to be. It's one of the tasks that got dropped when the missions was "streamlined". Also, they used to pack a punch...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    warhammer_40k_meme__gitfandah_by_commanderjonas-dbum0el.jpg
    My experience of AFKers in events, just participate and earn the reward like everyone else has to.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
      warhammer_40k_meme__gitfandah_by_commanderjonas-dbum0el.jpg
      My experience of AFKers in events, just participate and earn the reward like everyone else has to.

That guy can join my crew if he wants to go fasta in a red ship - Orks ROOL! :D
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      Couldn't you wait even a week before another event comes along?

At this rate 2018 will be remembered as the year of event overload rather than having the gamma "expansion" quadrant added.

Before VIL we had MI, sompek, maru and a double week of phoenix. Since VIL there's been another phoenix, the three week CC and now another long winded event right on the back of that one.

Obviously realise event overload is going to be happening so you've slapped a whopping 1000 zen price tag on a booster!

*further comments will be mix of expletives and stuff about the development direction that would get modded for sure*