test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Discovery Magazine, featuring STO!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Pick up Star Trek Discovery: The Official Companion magazine, and you'll get a code for a T1 Constitution, Phoenix Boxes, and more!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10995673

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    $39.99 for a tier 1 ship?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Not worth it.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    You also get a magazine subscription....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    thay8472 wrote: »

A T1 ship TRIBBLE ret-conned out of existence too. :D

A magazine about a fake Prime show. Great.
    What next a spread about the Star Wars prequels in it too?

CBS needs less obvious advertising people. Make STO do TRIBBLE, then make a magazine (cause it's 1995 and people still want magazines) about TRIBBLE and put an ad for STO in it. Circle of life obviousness.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    I'm assuming the Connie is the same one we got with the collector's box edition of the game before the game launched? And the uniform the same as the ones we got when the show launched last year?

Just checking.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    $39.99 for five issues of a magazine? Bahahahahaha! Who still reads magazines? Yeah, no thanks.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Hey I'll double down and say flat out that the Orion presence on Quonos in Discovery is a full on STO easter egg.
    Yeah, when I saw that scene I was like "this looks like part of STO".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2018
    valoreah wrote: »

Whining and crying that the show isn't in the Prime timeline doesn't make it so.
    And continuing to tell people that ^ isn't gonna make us stop whining. So who's really wasting their time?

Being the legal owner and saying "It's PRIME!" isn't going to make me believe it, when nothing I've seen in any way makes me think it's in the Prime Universe. :p
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Hmmm....I might just order the magazine - not so much for the STO items (that are always welcomed), but more in order to check out the magazine and catch up on some Trek. Also, I kinda' like Discovery, so.... *shrugs*
    HQroeLu.jpg
    The owner decides all, thats how it works, how its always worked, and how it always will work.

I never said they didn't 'decide all' that gets produced. But there is one thing they can't decide... if people watch it. So if you want to do as your CBS overlords demand, then go ahead. Many will not. We'll see who wins.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Whining and crying that the show isn't in the Prime timeline doesn't make it so.
    And continuing to tell people that ^ isn't gonna make us stop whining. So who's really wasting their time?

Being the legal owner and saying "It's PRIME!" isn't going to make me believe it, when nothing I've seen in any way makes me think it's in the Prime Universe. :p

An argument could be made that with the amount of time travel in Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager no longer exists and replaced by the new timeline consisting of Discovery. So Discovery is a sequel of Enterprise not a prequel of TOS.
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    I wouldnt take that even if you paid ME the $39.99.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    $39.99? whats that in conversion...

£31.15. That's alot for a game code delivering virtual items with no value to them (ToS makes it clear there is no value in them), so basically you are forking over money like it is a charity case. Surely a far better deal can be worked out to make the game code more valuable.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    The owner decides all, thats how it works, how its always worked, and how it always will work.

I never said they didn't 'decide all' that gets produced. But there is one thing they can't decide... if people watch it. So if you want to do as your CBS overlords demand, then go ahead. Many will not. We'll see who wins.
    It's also kinda funny to read "owner decides everything and fans have no say whatsoever and can't influence anything" from someone who has "#TASinSTO" in their signature.

Since fans have no say and can't change the owner's mind, why making a hashtag about how they want something in the canon of the game since it'll be for naught according to this logic?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    starkaos wrote: »

An argument could be made that with the amount of time travel in Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager no longer exists and replaced by the new timeline consisting of Discovery. So Discovery is a sequel of Enterprise not a prequel of TOS.

If CBS had said that it was a timeline split from right after Enterprise, then fine, but they didn't. I've said before, I'm OK with a FULL reboot like BSG did. Just don't try to weasel in "it's Prime!" just because the advertising department says it will boost sales/viewership.
    As for "who will win" of watchers and non-watchers, the non-watchers already lost. CBS is building a sharded universe around Discovery to keep Trek in new episodes year round, because just like with TNG, DS9, & VOY, the non-watchers are the minority, and such a small minority they fall into the margin of error.

You know the most stupidly funny part of it? These fans think for some insane reason that somehow Trek operates on a different set of rules than all other IPs in the world, it doesn't. The fans didn't make Rue white, they didn't force Disney to remake The Last Jedi, they didn't keep Detective Vega from being a vigilante (CSI). Fans do not control the IP, period, and they never will. So go ahead, don't watch, and if Discovery content in STO bothers you that much then you know where the door is, nobody will notice.

I wish you guys who do quotes with the long lines of > denoting quotes would just use the provided quote system, makes it all confusing and hard to read. :|

I know little about Star Wars, never been my thing. But weren't those latest movies bombs as far as ticket sales and audiences approval? It has an audience score of 46% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Trek did 'trek stuff' and survived for decades. Not seeing the big reason to change everything. Every time some IP get shook up, I think of the Battletech game. Been around since the 1980s. Then in 2002 the owner decided he'd 'refresh' it with his MageKnight click base system. It won some awards, had a big splash, lots of players showed up to play it at conventions... for a couple years. The it went away in 2008. It lacked depth, the supporting novels were badly written, and after awhile the players got lured away by whatever NEW! shiny game came out. Meanwhile, the old Battletech is still chugging along.

Or should I go and bring up new Coke? :D People who wanted a Coke, wanted Coca-Cola not new Coke. If your product doesn't give its customers what they want or expect, they may not hang around. Brand loyalty is a dying thing, people don't just keep taking what get made cause it's got the same name plastered on the product. It's a very risky game go change a known product, especially now when every idiot can get online and start whining about it! ;)
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    frieza-gif-3.gif
    No...
  • jesterdavid#0862 jesterdavid Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Mag-a-zeen?

What is a "mag-a-zeen"?
    Or is it pronounced "maga-zeen"?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I know little about Star Wars, never been my thing. But weren't those latest movies bombs as far as ticket sales and audiences approval? It has an audience score of 46% on Rotten Tomatoes.

And a Tomatometer of 91%. Just another movie that the critics like and the audience hates. Solo has a Tomatometer of 71% and an Audience Score of 64%. All of the other Star Wars movies have a discrepancy of 20% or less between the Tomatometer and Audience Score. The Clone Wars movie has a Tomatometer of 18% and an Audience Score of 38%.

My problem with the Last Jedi when I watched it is that it is so boring for most of the movie. Then there is all the idiotic mistakes in the movie. Is it too much to ask for that the main characters in movies have some common sense?
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I was ready to buy this yesterday. Usually I'm not that interested in such magazines (got plenty to read throughout the week already :p ) but this one could have been interesting.

Too bad they only accept credit card as payment methods. American and British companies should really try to understand that it's not considered normal in every country to live on debt. I've never had a credit card and I have little wish to get one. So I guess I'll just have to let this otherwise interesting offer pass.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Too bad they only accept credit card as payment methods. American and British companies should really try to understand that it's not considered normal in every country to live on debt. I've never had a credit card and I have little wish to get one. So I guess I'll just have to let this otherwise interesting offer pass.
    Some people use it as a digital check.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jesterdavid#0862 jesterdavid Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Not really.
    The most recent film, Solo, did *terrible*. In that it very likely lost money. Despite being as classic a Star Wars tale as you can make. Meanwhile, The Last Jedi is the #11 film in history and made over a 1.3 billion, and is only a "bomb" in that it didn't make the two-million its predecessor did.
    Trek did 'trek stuff' and survived for decades. Not seeing the big reason to change everything.
    Again, not really.
    Star Trek did Star Treky stuff on TV in the '60s. And was cancelled. It did it again in the '70s. And was cancelled. It did Star Treky stuff in the theatres, and the movie was a disappointment.

Star Trek was never a big success until Wrath of Khan, which is a great film but only loosely a Star Trek film. No examination of the human condition, no philosophy or morality, no speech at the end, and only minimal involvement by the creator. Just a revenge story with lots of ships going bew bew. Again, a great movie I love and filled with layers and themes, but not so much a "Star Treky" film, so much as a generic military space film set in the Star Trek universe.
    But it was Wrath of Khan that led to two successful sequels and helped launch The Next Generation.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @dracounguis said:
    > I wish you guys who do quotes with the long lines of > denoting quotes would just use the provided quote system, makes it all confusing and hard to read. :|

Do you actually think people copy and paste posts and add > in front of it manually? XD

That's how quoting works on mobile devices. For some reason the mobile version of the forums don't support the BB code, it can't set spoiler tags or colour text either.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @saurializard said:

As for "who will win" of watchers and non-watchers, the non-watchers already lost. CBS is building a sharded universe around Discovery to keep Trek in new episodes year round, because just like with TNG, DS9, & VOY, the non-watchers are the minority, and such a small minority they fall into the margin of error.

Nope. I can walk away and not worry about it any more. I win. CBS loses. Which means you lose as they will eventually learn that the insult/mocking approach doesnt work. Which means you are out of a job. Which thus makes the world a better place for all.
    dessniper wrote: »
    > @saurializard said:

Nope. I can walk away and not worry about it any more. I win. CBS loses. Which means you lose as they will eventually learn that the insult/mocking approach doesnt work. Which means you are out of a job. Which thus makes the world a better place for all.
    You actually think that the majority of people share your view? See for your dire warning to matter the majority of the people who currently watch Discovery would have to suddenly change their minds about whether they like it. Clearly they don't feel insulted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing