test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reman/Romulan Allegiance Advice

Comments

• captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Exactly. But if you do want to live in fear like a feddie bear ;) and buy into the doom prophecies, then at least the KDF ships have cloaking and a closer design aesthetic. So if you need to own more than 50 T6 ships, KDF wins on that point.

I'm actually primarily a Starfleet player. When you say 'closer' do you mean closer to Romulans? In that case I agree.

If you mean a 'more standard' design aesthetic, I don't agree - because of all the different race ships that the KDF has. I think the Federation has a more coherent design aesthetic. Which makes them tougher to design for I think, because trying something different (Intel or Miracle Worker ships for instance) more noticeably breaks the accepted designs on the Federation side.

-K

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Exactly. But if you do want to live in fear like a feddie bear ;) and buy into the doom prophecies, then at least the KDF ships have cloaking and a closer design aesthetic. So if you need to own more than 50 T6 ships, KDF wins on that point.

I'm actually primarily a Starfleet player. When you say 'closer' do you mean closer to Romulans? In that case I agree.

If you mean a 'more standard' design aesthetic, I don't agree - because of all the different race ships that the KDF has. I think the Federation has a more coherent design aesthetic. Which makes them tougher to design for I think, because trying something different (Intel or Miracle Worker ships for instance) more noticeably breaks the accepted designs on the Federation side.

-K

Closer to Romulan. The doomsayers are claiming we'll never get another Romulan ship, ever. If you believe that then picking KDF has some added value for when there is some new kind of ship added to the game with "Selfie Specialization" seats for taking better screen shots.

• surfacewarrior#8890 surfacewarrior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > So...which ship design do you like better? And pick that. Because us romulans will be getting nothing but our "allied" faction ships moving forwards. Yes that is a hyperbole...but not by much.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Counting fleet variants there are almost 50 existing Romulan / Reman / Dewan (3) tier 6 endgame ships, plus the Tal Shiar lockbox / lobi ships. So yes, that is hyperbole and also mostly irrelevant.
    >
    > Role playing / immersion: Feds are like D'Tan at his most pacifistic. KDF are like Obisek. As a survivor of Virimat, how do you feel? Kill your enemies to protect your people, or capture them to send off to country club prison?”

Good point about how I feel. I am, generally, an eye for an eye type of person. I believe that some people will not stop their evil, corrupt behavior until they are taught a lesson, either seriously hurt, or if need be, eradicated.

Take, for example, the oligarchs who run nations & put no value on human life, other than their own & their those of their offspring. Through their self-centeted influence, millions of people suffer & or die.

They fund wars & other ventures that cause death, destruction & misery. Those types of people won’t change because they are self-righteous &, honestly, don’t care about the “commoners.”

In my opinion, the Tal Shiar seem like an elitist group among the Romulans who seek to subjugate others. They kill & destroy without a second thought. Therefore, they need to be dealt with wity the same brutality that they bestow upon others to either wake them up, or eradicate them, whichever comes first.

I gave my character some Reman features (forhead, ears) to present him as a half-breed who seeks to unify Remans & Romulans, but the Tal Shiar stand in the way, because they kill Remans & Romulans in their quest for dominance.

But, I think the Tal Shiar need to be dealt with with the same disregard they bestow upon others.

I wish the Star Trek Online storylines were adaptive & they gave us more choices, like diplomacy choices that alter our future timelines.

I really enjoy games with flexible storylines in which your personal choices determine the directions the storylines take.

In Star Trek Online it doesn’t seem to matter what you do. NPCs akways interact with you the same way, every time.
  • surfacewarrior#8890 surfacewarrior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > Choosing Klingon comes with the advantage you later get access to Marauding in the DUty Officer system. These missions can generate a lot of Contraband, and there is a Duty Officer mission that will turn that Contraband into Dilithium. That's lucrative and can help a lot in getting you along to max out your daily refinement limit.
    >
    >
    >
    > It's also worth noting that marauding gives a lot of junk gear. This used to be useless junk that got sold for EC, but now you can salvage it.”

Salvaging seems usless, besides getting the base components for crafting. Re-engineer seems lame. It doesn’t improve the items, it only chages the damage/crit/hit, et cetera.
    > @markhawkman said:
    > mustrumridcully0 wrote: »
    >
    > Choosing Klingon comes with the advantage you later get access to Marauding in the DUty Officer system. These missions can generate a lot of Contraband, and there is a Duty Officer mission that will turn that Contraband into Dilithium. That's lucrative and can help a lot in getting you along to max out your daily refinement limit.
    >
    >
    >
    > It's also worth noting that marauding gives a lot of junk gear. This used to be useless junk that got sold for EC, but now you can salvage it.”

Salvaging seems usless, besides getting the base components for crafting. Re-engineer seems lame. It doesn’t improve the items, it only chages the damage/crit/hit, et cetera.

CrtD and Dmg are much better than Acc for PVE gaming, though it's true that Mark level and rarity are more important than modifications (and also more important than the energy type).

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    federation. it's easier to get the starship traits that are useful. also, if you are going for "realism" Klingons don't like romulans
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Haha.. wow.

Re-Engineering is a HUGE boost. The most important thing on your weapons are the mods.. period. Energy Type, Proc, the pretty color.. none of it even comes close to having as much effect on performance was the Mods.

Being able to take a high rarity item (or even a new mark II) and custom tailor the mods to make the item better was an absolute game changer. For people like me it saved me countless hours crafting trying to get 'perfect items.'

Salvage and Re-Engineering is one of the best additions to STO since the game went live.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    if you like saucers then Fed, if you like badass ships then KDF. + you can have reciprocity and the console dynamic power redistributor for ec, not need to buy a ship. And, KDF faction is just so cool.
    Haha.. wow.

Re-Engineering is a HUGE boost. The most important thing on your weapons are the mods.. period. Energy Type, Proc, the pretty color.. none of it even comes close to having as much effect on performance was the Mods.

Being able to take a high rarity item (or even a new mark II) and custom tailor the mods to make the item better was an absolute game changer. For people like me it saved me countless hours crafting trying to get 'perfect items.'

Salvage and Re-Engineering is one of the best additions to STO since the game went live.

And now the cost of the crafted beams in the exchange is correct, no need to spend mil of ec to grab a beam with pen.
    And now the cost of the crafted beams in the exchange is correct, no need to spend mil of ec to grab a beam with pen.

True, that's one thing the Re-Engineering system did for me that was kinda negative. I used to make bank selling those Mark II's with good mods. Overall though, I like it better this way, I gladly trade that EC for the time and effort saved just trying to make the weapons I want.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    My romulans and remans went with feds which turned out to be a useful move as the f2p accounts on pc and ps4 now have access to some ship traits.

Generally though it was for the convenience of having facilities close to each other instead of being spread out as much as they are for the KDF. The way the federation ambassadors treat you during the run up to the selection is anything but diplomatic or indeed polite.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The way the federation ambassadors treat you during the run up to the selection is anything but diplomatic or indeed polite.
    "ambassador"? you mean T'Nae. It's not 100% clear why but she's always been written as one of those Vulcans that hates Romulans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I recommend KDF. Plasmonic Leech may not be as good as it was, but there's still not much that makes as much difference in power levels. Marauding is easier/more useful than Diplomacy, and if you do a red alert, you get a "free transwarp" to Sol, where a lot of marauding missions are.
    neomodious wrote: »
    I recommend KDF. Plasmonic Leech may not be as good as it was, but there's still not much that makes as much difference in power levels. Marauding is easier/more useful than Diplomacy, and if you do a red alert, you get a "free transwarp" to Sol, where a lot of marauding missions are.

Honestly, Plasmonic Leach is now cheaper for Feds then for KDF. It's only a few million on the exchange, cheaper then buying the Vandal. Marauding however is still a great reason to go KDF, I am selling stacks of contraband for about 10M a pop.
    Also Plas is not as OP as it used to be.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @surfacewarrior#8890 said:
    > So, I am at the point where I need to choose between the Federation or Klingon Empire as an allegiance.
    >
    > I want to do it as realistically as possible. My gut is telling me to pick the Klingons, because, according to Wiki, the Remans are a warring culture, but my Reman represents Romulans & Romulans are standoff-ish & aggressive like the Kilngons.
    > However, they are Romulans of New Romulus & seek alliances where they didn’t before.
    >
    > So, which allegiance would you choose & why?
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Your answers might help me with my decision.

My first Rom went KDF solely for RP reasons, the Romulan questline seques into a desire to seek retribution on the Quislings in the Tal Shiar and the Elachi for what they have done to your people. But if the idea of moving on and helping secure a future for those who remain appeals more, then Starfleet would be more appropriate.

If It's a matter of which is "better", then I'd look at the toons of other races you have and where the people you play with are to make your decision
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I have two Romulans. A LoR one (a Reman) who joined the Federation to get away from it all and a Delta Recruit (Romulan) who's joined the KDF because it's closer to the RSE than the RR is.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Role playing / immersion: Feds are like D'Tan at his most pacifistic. KDF are like Obisek. As a survivor of Virimat, how do you feel? Kill your enemies to protect your people, or capture them to send off to country club prison?

I wouldn't mistake D'Tan's desire to win over every Romulan to the Republic's Cause that he can for pacifism, he keeps people like Mena...and the player....around who are able and willing to "do what needs to be done" without guidance from above.

edited September 2018
    Role playing / immersion: Feds are like D'Tan at his most pacifistic. KDF are like Obisek. As a survivor of Virimat, how do you feel? Kill your enemies to protect your people, or capture them to send off to country club prison?
    I wouldn't mistake D'Tan's desire to win over every Romulan to the Republic's Cause that he can for pacifism, he keeps people like Mena...and the player....around who are able and willing to "do what needs to be done" without guidance from above.
    Don't forget Obisek…. The guy actually said "I'm a warrior not a politician". He doesn't USE thalaron weapons though, apparently he gave those to Jarok.

Obviously Obisek's not a Romulan, but... D'tan finds him to be... useful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > I have two Romulans. A LoR one (a Reman) who joined the Federation to get away from it all and a Delta Recruit (Romulan) who's joined the KDF because it's closer to the RSE than the RR is.

I have 4 RR characters, the first (like yours dating to LoR), a Romulan who was a junior officer on one of Donatra's ships during the battle with Shinzon. He later joined Spock's Reunification movement & so his choice to ally with the Federation was made before Hobus. The second, a Reman, allied with the KDF as they were more willing to be ruthless to the Tal Shiar/RSE remnants.

The 3rd and 4th also allied with KDF. One is my often mentioned Klingon/Romulan Hybrid. He is the 4th generation after Khitomer and is therefore by Klingon law free of his ancestor's dishonor (as Worf explained, such dishonor stains the family name for 3 generations), and able to reclaim his family's legacy by his own honor as a warrior. I considered making him a descendant of the young hybrid Worf fell for, but decided not to get that specific.

My last, another aliengen, a purple skinned Romulan, well to be honest he just went KDF for Marauding, and I needed a Romulan Delta.

My Reman (imaginatively named Obisek) never lived on Remus anyway so has no particular disdain for the RSE. He's from a world on the Romulan-Federation Neutral Zone which is why he allied with the Federation. He's also something of scientist and the Federation do actual science unlike the KDF who would rather chew the test tubes.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Haha.. wow.

That is not true. A Mark IV [CritD]x4 weapon is decidely worse than a Mark XV [Acc]x1 weapon.

If you worry about what to spend your EC and Dilithium, the first thing is bringing them to Mark XV. Only when you already assume everything is Mark XV, the mods really come into play, and at that point, you're not talking about huge shifts anymore.

But the salvage system presents a significant shortcut to the old method of getting the best mods, which was crafting and upgrading a lot of stuff until the right modifiers appeared and throwing away the rest. (Throwing away could mean selling for EC to a vendor or on the Exchange, not literally throwing them away for nothing.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Salvaging has been a wonderful thing. I used to have to craft 40-50 beams before finally getting one with the mods I wanted, only to have most of those pick up an unwanted mod when upgraded to UR. Now I craft just a few to get one with [pen], don't worry about any other mods, and when/if it hits Epic I can re-engineer to my hearts content until I get the other mods I want. (Crossing fingers), so far I have had very good luck while re-engineering and between salvaging drop items and crafted items, Dilithium is the only thing slowing me down on having all Epic gear with the exact mods I wanted.

The only real drawback is that the exchange value of my "failed" crafting dropped drastically, then again my main exchange purchase was upgrade kits and accelerators, and I don't burn through anywhere near as many of those anymore now that I don't have to worry about what mods I end up with when upgrading.

And I'll echo what mustrum said. In my experience so far, the boost in base damage alone going from Mk XIV to MK XV makes a Mk XV with the crappiest Mods better than a Mk XIV with the best mods. Of course that is based strictly on how quickly I seem to kill enemies while playing as I don't do parsing.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    But.. you can take the low mk item with good mods and upgrade to mk 15 :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It doesn't change that the lower Mark weapon is plain worse than the higher Mark weapon, and thus whatever you do with your Dilithium, Energy Credits or whatever else you got, that is what you need to prioritize.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    It doesn't change that the lower Mark weapon is plain worse than the higher Mark weapon, and thus whatever you do with your Dilithium, Energy Credits or whatever else you got, that is what you need to prioritize.
    Yeah, but you're not gonna find random junk mk15 weapons laying around.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Salvaging has been a wonderful thing. I used to have to craft 40-50 beams before finally getting one with the mods I wanted, only to have most of those pick up an unwanted mod when upgraded to UR

that was a nightmare, I left 2 times the game because of this crappy system; all this grind done and the time wasted for nothing, wow! what an adventure!
    sadly I missed 2 event ships
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    I usually end up going Klingon for no other reason than the federation reps really are a bunch of twits at the conference where you decide. The Fed's always came across as rude and somewhat questionable as to whether they'll help while the klingons are right up front about helping.

Would need to specifically want something from the feds to pick them I think.

Besides, when you go back to virinat and that fed attacks you...yeah I want to be on their side...
    > Besides, when you go back to virinat and that fed attacks you...yeah I want to be on their side...

The episode writers were clever and change the enemies based on your alliance, they are from the other faction. The Tal Shiar are pitting the factions against each other.
This discussion has been closed.