test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reman/Romulan Allegiance Advice

surfacewarrior#8890 surfacewarrior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
So, I am at the point where I need to choose between the Federation or Klingon Empire as an allegiance.

I want to do it as realistically as possible. My gut is telling me to pick the Klingons, because, according to Wiki, the Remans are a warring culture, but my Reman represents Romulans & Romulans are standoff-ish & aggressive like the Kilngons.
However, they are Romulans of New Romulus & seek alliances where they didn’t before.

So, which allegiance would you choose & why?

Thanks in advance. Your answers might help me with my decision.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...which ship design do you like better? And pick that. Because us romulans will be getting nothing but our "allied" faction ships moving forwards. Yes that is a hyperbole...but not by much.

Romulans have decent enough ships, we don't need our allied ships anyway. Having played both Fed and KDF, I lean towards KDF.
  • surfacewarrior#8890 surfacewarrior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    > @kaithan1975 said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > So...which ship design do you like better? And pick that. Because us romulans will be getting nothing but our "allied" faction ships moving forwards. Yes that is a hyperbole...but not by much.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Romulans have decent enough ships, we don't need our allied ships anyway. Having played both Fed and KDF, I lean towards KDF.

Yeah, I don’t like Kilngon vessels. I have an Orion character & when I got my free, T5 vessel I chose the Orion one (Marauder Cruiser).

If I choose KDF, I will fly Romulan vessels, not Klingon.

My only issue is that Remans & Romulans are standoff-ish & aggressive, like the Klingons, but in the storyline they represent Nee Romulus, which seem to be an attitude shift to a more diplomatic & congenial society, like the Feds.
    In the grand scheme of things, it don't matter, either way everyone ends up playing the same story lines anyway. I had 3 Rom/KDF for Raiding and 1 Rom/Fed. Somehow my Rom/Fed didn't 'feel' quite right so I deleted her during the Delta Recruit event and restarted her as Rom/KDF.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Fed has access to more science ships and more shuttles, whereas KDF has more access to Contraband.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • surfacewarrior#8890 surfacewarrior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > So...which ship design do you like better? And pick that. Because us romulans will be getting nothing but our "allied" faction ships moving forwards. Yes that is a hyperbole...but not by much.

So, if I go the Fed route I won’t be able to use Romulan vessels?
    > @coldnapalm said:

Which ever way you go you'll be able to use all Romulan vessels and most, but not all, of your allies vessels.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    In a purely game related answer... there are many more Fed players than KDF. So going KDF will put you on a less populated side. If you mainly play solo, not really an issue, but could be harder to find/get into an active fleet.

Personally I went Fed on mine; half for that reason and half because I had so many C-store ships on fed side to bolster my Admiralty ship card roster.

You can. But don't expect too many more romulan ships in the future is all.

Time will tell.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    In terms of "story" it doesn't really matter if you choose FED of KDF. The Romulans have their own story that plays out 99% the same regardless of which side you choose. Eventually, all side merge (in story) and play the same story missions anyway.

In terms of functionality, logic would dictate you choose FED since most people have more FED ships and you can use those ships as admiralty cards or even full on ships for your Romulan/Reman.

You might also consider whether you are dedicated to a fleet or not and which faction that fleet is. I haven't created a FED character since AoY. Since then, I've only created KDF's and Rom/KDF's to help boost my fleet marks donations.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    In terms of "story" it doesn't really matter if you choose FED of KDF. The Romulans have their own story that plays out 99% the same regardless of which side you choose. Eventually, all side merge (in story) and play the same story missions anyway.

In terms of functionality, logic would dictate you choose FED since most people have more FED ships and you can use those ships as admiralty cards or even full on ships for your Romulan/Reman.

You might also consider whether you are dedicated to a fleet or not and which faction that fleet is. I haven't created a FED character since AoY. Since then, I've only created KDF's and Rom/KDF's to help boost my fleet marks donations.

Totally flawed logic. At the time you choose your alliance you have 0 Fed or Kdf ships. When you get your last free ship you have exactly the same amount of ships no matter which way you go, and none may be Fed or Kdf. The fact most people have Fed ships is irrelevant.
    edited August 2018
    Totally flawed logic. At the time you choose your alliance you have 0 Fed or Kdf ships. When you get your last free ship you have exactly the same amount of ships no matter which way you go, and none may be Fed or Kdf. The fact most people have Fed ships is irrelevant.
    You misunderstand. Most players have more FED ships. Or more specifically more c-store FED ships that Romulans can use. If a player happened to have more KDF c-store ships, then KDF would probably be a better choice.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    If you're just after power, then go KDF. You get access to a couple of consoles that the Feds have to buy an entire ship to get. Plus you can also make EC/Dilithium from farming Contraband.

If you don't currently own any C-Store ships, then you should go after whatever story you like. The reason your c-store ships are a factor is because as mentioned before, you can claim those ships on your Romulan and use them for Admiralty which can be quite profitable. If you're totally new and don't even have any ships yet, then this decision matters far less.

I will just say that from a power perspective, a KDF allied Romulan Tactical officer in a Scimitar is a tough combo to top. A fed aligned can do the same build but at a slightly higher cost. One of the best consoles in the game is the Dynamic Power Redistributor and Romulans and Klingons can just buy the console alone. The fed officers have to buy the entire ship.

Plus Romulans look cool in the Klingon Honor Guard Armor.

If that doesn't matter to you, then really it's just personal preference. Romulans are amazing either way, the choice really isn't as big of a deal as it may seem.

Extra line for the edit monster.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:

Cold is under the impression that since the last ship release was only two craft, one Fed and one Klink, the Roms will never, ever get ships again, despite what the people who design them have said.

Realistically? Proconsul D'Tan is playing the Federation and the Klingon Empire off of each other, not plainly allying with either - rather, each ship's captain is free to choose one alliance or the other, so that if either side attacked, they'd be drawing a response not only from the Republic, but from the other major power as well. (He's also strategically sharing technology for the same reason.)

Eventually all of these governments will form an alliance in the Delta Quadrant, then find their alliance reaching back home during the Iconian conflict. This is leading toward the Galactic Alliance of the 26th Century, and the signing of the Temporal Accords. So in the really long run, I guess it doesn't matter. I like the Fed color palette for uniforms better than the Klink, but I have Roms on both sides.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited August 2018
    One of the best consoles in the game is the Dynamic Power Redistributor and Romulans and Klingons can just buy the console alone. The fed officers have to buy the entire ship.
    This brings up a really good point. A ROM or KDF can buy this console for around 8 million EC while a FED can effectively buy it for 300 million EC. There are potentially other consoles and ship traits that the OP may want to list off before making a final decision.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Cold is under the impression that since the last ship release was only two craft, one Fed and one Klink, the Roms will never, ever get ships again, despite what the people who design them have said.

We go by the evidence we're given.

We have had one ship release since the Romulans were given access to allied ships and that was the first multifaction release since Legacy Of Romulas to ommit a Romulan ship specifically.

You can draw whatever conclusion you like from that, but those are facts. Yes, they have commented on it, but lets not pretend we have never gotten inaccurate or even blatantly false information from Cryptic in the past.

They have said one thing and done another, until they actively reverse this trend, the fear is justified.

Insert witty signature line here.
    edited August 2018
    You misunderstand. Most players have more FED ships. Or more specifically more c-store FED ships that Romulans can use. If a player happened to have more KDF c-store ships, then KDF would probably be a better choice.

I didn't misunderstand, what other players have is irrelevant to the OPS question. As I said at the point he is at, he has 0 of either.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    I would decide according to which fleet I have more friends. If your fleet has both Fed and Kdf side and equal bases, then I would choose Kdf, because they have marauding doff missions (prisoners->fleet marks, contraband->dilitium). As somebody wrote, if you have another toons, it's not a bad decision depending on which admiralty ship cards you have more. And Dynamic Power Redistributor? Yeah, it's an excellent console, that Kdf can buy stand-alone without ship, but the same you can say about ship trait Honored Dead, what can buy the Feds. This trait is the best defensive trait you can have and balances that you do not have a redistributor.
    Anyway, if you like the Remans, it's not important an allegiance, but a ship. Classical is Reman Scimitar, but I would definitely buy a pilot ship, they have reman design.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I would've bought the pack if it were three ships with a Romulan ship or the Fed and Rom ships seperately, so I ended up only buying the Fed one since I couldn't care less for KDF ships, well mostly the Klingon ones anyway.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Of course, the answer always is - the KDF! I have all my Cardassians and my Jem'Hadar in the KDF as well. ;)
    I might be biased though, I've always been more of a KDF player and fan in STO and love the cultures and aesthetics of the KDF. Anyways, the choice between the factions is much less radical nowadays in the game, due to how the story line is progressing and due to how the factions are treated - therefore any choice is perfectly fine, it's mostly down to aesthetics and lore/rp.

But similar to what you said - I too tend to combine things from a canon and somewhat realistic perspective whenever possible. So for me, playing a Jem'Hadar in the Federation would be drab compared to the KDF, because they are more of a warrior culture. I aligned my Romulan to the Federation because most of the Klingons and Romulans are supposed to hate each other, but then again I aligned my Reman with the KDF because the Remans were the outcasts and are generally supposed to be more aggressive that fits the KDF in STO perfectly from a lore/rp/storytelling perspective, at least for me.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, I don’t like Kilngon vessels. I have an Orion character & when I got my free, T5 vessel I chose the Orion one (Marauder Cruiser)
    Yeah the Orion ships are great. :) also the Gorn stuff. very cool. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited August 2018

I didn't misunderstand, what other players have is irrelevant to the OPS question. As I said at the point he is at, he has 0 of either.
    No you did misunderstand as you thought I meant free leveling ships aka dilithium ships. You also stated generally that when you choose an alliance "you" meaning everyone have 0 FED and KDF free ships. If he/she doesn't have any FED or KDF c-store ships then yeah it really doesn't matter from that perspective.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Choosing Klingon comes with the advantage you later get access to Marauding in the DUty Officer system. These missions can generate a lot of Contraband, and there is a Duty Officer mission that will turn that Contraband into Dilithium. That's lucrative and can help a lot in getting you along to max out your daily refinement limit.
    Also, some desirable consoles and traits can be cheaper to you, as the Fed version will be linked with an expensive Lockbox or Promotion ship, while the KDF side just has to buy a box that's usually much cheaper. But of course, the opposite could also happen.

If you pick the Fed side, you have the opportunity to get more ships -but that "opportunity" just means you have more things to spend Zen on. That's not necessarily a plus, especially if you have a habit to collect things.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Feds have more ships... KDF has Plas Leech in Zen Store & Marauding. If your just gonna do free to play and never buy zen with real money... maybe grind dil to zen... go KDF.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    So...which ship design do you like better? And pick that. Because us romulans will be getting nothing but our "allied" faction ships moving forwards. Yes that is a hyperbole...but not by much.

Counting fleet variants there are almost 50 existing Romulan / Reman / Dewan (3) tier 6 endgame ships, plus the Tal Shiar lockbox / lobi ships. So yes, that is hyperbole and also mostly irrelevant.

Role playing / immersion: Feds are like D'Tan at his most pacifistic. KDF are like Obisek. As a survivor of Virimat, how do you feel? Kill your enemies to protect your people, or capture them to send off to country club prison?

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Choosing Klingon comes with the advantage you later get access to Marauding in the DUty Officer system. These missions can generate a lot of Contraband, and there is a Duty Officer mission that will turn that Contraband into Dilithium. That's lucrative and can help a lot in getting you along to max out your daily refinement limit.
    It's also worth noting that marauding gives a lot of junk gear. This used to be useless junk that got sold for EC, but now you can salvage it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    They have said one thing and done another, until they actively reverse this trend, the fear is justified.

It's not a trend. It's one example. By definition, a trend must have more than one occurrence.

I think it's a bit early for us to start panicking just yet.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

It's not a trend. It's one example. By definition, a trend must have more than one occurrence.

I think it's a bit early for us to start panicking just yet.

Exactly. But if you do want to live in fear like a feddie bear ;) and buy into the doom prophecies, then at least the KDF ships have cloaking and a closer design aesthetic. So if you need to own more than 50 T6 ships, KDF wins on that point.

This discussion has been closed.